Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Roscoe,

You should comfortably get to Orelle and back in 2.5 hours. Depending on your skiing speed, it should take no more than 50 minutes to get there (via Cascades Chair, Portette Chair, Thorens Gondola and Lory blue piste). And returning via Rosael Chair and Chamois blue piste should take no more than 30 minutes. That would give you enough time for a couple of runs at Orelle and even a coffee stop at the pleasant mountain restaurant there Very Happy .

It's definitely worth a visit, with some of the best views in the 3 Valleys. It really is stunning! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bergmeister

thanks for the above Orelle tips. really useful.
How flat is the Bd De Cumin run, from VT back to Les Men ? I'm a snowboarder, but kids are in ski school and getting good. we're staying in Les Men, & i'm planning afternoon visits to VT.
to be fair, they took me down Tortolett last year which was flat as a proverbial pancake, but better than Ours in Meribel. (from Memory)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bergmeister wrote:
Roscoe,

You should comfortably get to Orelle and back in 2.5 hours. Depending on your skiing speed, it should take no more than 50 minutes to get there (via Cascades Chair, Portette Chair, Thorens Gondola and Lory blue piste). And returning via Rosael Chair and Chamois blue piste should take no more than 30 minutes. That would give you enough time for a couple of runs at Orelle and even a coffee stop at the pleasant mountain restaurant there Very Happy .

It's definitely worth a visit, with some of the best views in the 3 Valleys. It really is stunning! Very Happy

Thanks Bergmeister! Looking forward to seeing this side of the mountain after missed out on it last year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roscoe wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
Roscoe,

Thanks Bergmeister! Looking forward to seeing this side of the mountain after missed out on it last year.

I'm sure you will love it. It's one of our favourite spots in the 3 Valleys. As an alternative route back, I'd recommend taking the new gondola to the Cimes De Caron summit. You really shouldn't miss that as the views from the gondola (and the summit) are fantastic. You can then take the gentle red piste, Cime, back to VT. I think it's a red because there is a 100 metre section at the start that (despite being almost flat) has an exposed drop to one side, though at that point the piste is the width of a road.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@peterepka, I wouldn’t worry about that flat run back to Menuires, nowhere near as bad as Ours just try to memorise the couple of junctions along the way so you don’t end up stopping!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
peterepka wrote:
@Bergmeister

How flat is the Bd De Cumin run, from VT back to Les Men ? I'm a snowboarder, but kids are in ski school and getting good. we're staying in Les Men, & i'm planning afternoon visits to VT.
to be fair, they took me down Tortolett last year which was flat as a proverbial pancake, but better than Ours in Meribel. (from Memory)

Boulevard Cumin is steep at the start but flattens for the last 800 metres or so. You will need to walk some of it, or borrow poles from a skier wink.

I'm sure a fellow boarder will be along to advise more specifically about what to expect on a board.

Instead of returning that way, however, from VT you could take Plein Sud or Pionniers chair, then the 3 Vallees gondola, and ride straight back to Les Menuires via Mont De La Chambre blue or 4 Vents red. No walking would be required, that way! Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 12-01-24 12:11; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[/quote]
I'm sure you will love it. It's one of our favourite spots in the 3 Valleys. As an alternative route back, I'd recommend taking the new gondola to the Cimes De Caron summit. You really shouldn't miss that as the views from the gondola (and the summit) are fantastic. You can then take the gentle red piste, Cime, back to VT. I think it's a red because there is a 100 metre section at the start that (despite being almost flat) has an exposed drop to one side, though at that point the piste is the width of a road.[/quote]

Love this! My wife is a timid intermediate that prefers to ski blues but the Cime sounds like a great "red" run for her to grow her confidence. Plus, the views should more then make up for a few minutes of nerves!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@javindo
@Bergmeister
cheers for the info. maybe i'll try both and see.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergmeister wrote:
peterepka wrote:
@Bergmeister

Boulevard Cumin is steep at the start but flattens for the last 800 metres or so. You will need to walk some of it, or borrow poles from a skier wink.

I'm sure a fellow boarder will be along to advise more specifically about what to expect on a board.

Instead of returning that way, however, from VT you could take Plein Sud or Pionniers chair, then the 3 Vallees gondola, and ride straight back to Les Menuires via Mont De La Chambre blue or 4 Vents red. No walking would be required, that way! Very Happy

It’s fine. Invariably you will have to walk or scoot for about 50 metres just above Les Menuires but other than this it’s more than manageable on a board. An alternative route is from the Plan de l’Eau sector (which is often overlooked but superb). You just need to join a short path and join the Boulevard half way down.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
so that's now 2 votes for walking. and 1 vote fine. maybe i'll swerve it after all.......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
@BergmeisterWondering if the Freeride lab is avalanche controlled at all?

Only the pistes dropping back down to Creux - the Creux Noir bowl (behind the ridge) and everything further along is all unsecured.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The last couple of days have seen more-varied conditions off piste. There are still some great, soft, untracked sections to be had but the snow now ranges from light, to dense, to breakable crust - and everything in between. I even managed a(n inadvertent) forward somersault when I went from soft stuff to invisible concrete! rolling eyes

A few more pics are below:-

After 6 great days off piste the good stuff is now taking a bit more effort to find, so we are now going back to our skinny skis and staying on piste until after the next storm. We still have 2 weeks left here Very Happy .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, don’t think you’ll be waiting too long Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, heading out on the 20th so I’m going to choose to believe that you’re Nostradamus!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
@Bergmeister, don’t think you’ll be waiting too long Smile

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@javindo, me too! Think there will be new snow beforehand , how low down it falls might be key!
snow report
Roscoe wrote:

I'm sure you will love it. It's one of our favourite spots in the 3 Valleys. As an alternative route back, I'd recommend taking the new gondola to the Cimes De Caron summit. You really shouldn't miss that as the views from the gondola (and the summit) are fantastic. You can then take the gentle red piste, Cime, back to VT. I think it's a red because there is a 100 metre section at the start that (despite being almost flat) has an exposed drop to one side, though at that point the piste is the width of a road.[/quote]

Love this! My wife is a timid intermediate that prefers to ski blues but the Cime sounds like a great "red" run for her to grow her confidence. Plus, the views should more then make up for a few minutes of nerves![/quote]

We skied Cime, red piste, today in very poor, flat light. The piste was actually a lot wider than I remembered and there are also more flat sections than I remembered. Though I didn't have to skate or pole along it was important to keep my speed up on the flatter sections to avoid doing so. My overall impression was that it is definitely more blue than red for the most part but there is one section, of less than 100 metres, which is a genuine red gradient but it is nice and wide at that point.
ski holidays
Gentle snow here at 1450m, about an inch so far.
snow conditions
How much is this in gallons?

Please use normal units (like the majority of the world) - metric system.
snow conditions
matejp wrote:
How much is this in gallons?

Please use normal units (like the majority of the world) - metric system.

Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
There is a new, free app for the 3Vs called 'Skiif'. On first inspection, it looks very good. It provides not only 2D but 3D piste maps and recommended point to point routing, with the option of avoiding black runs. The database includes restaurants, hotels, toilets and picnic areas. It also has provision for location sharing and providing GPS coordinates in the event of an emergency. https://skiif.com/en/
ski holidays
@Mike S, looks interesting is it completely free or does it try and get you to subscribe?
latest report
@matejp, in responding to my inoffensive observation of snow depth, did you intend to come across as rude? I am always open to an apology…
snow conditions
@Perty, surely gallons of snow is a universal measurement of snow depth! Twisted Evil rolling eyes Puzzled
snow report
@kitenski, I’d say so! The snowfall rate was in moderate gallons for much of today and a bit on the wet side, so not much on top of the 25.4mm/knuckle depth/ inch as measured on the balcony this morning, but now the accumulation rate has increased, and I reckon we have 38.1mm/1.5 inches.

P.S. For those who require absolute accuracy, I realise I misled you all… the precise elevation of my reading is 1453m, that being proved by the contour line for 1450m going right through our house, plus 3m to the top of the balcony handrail. Very Happy

Meanwhile, over in Canada a new form of snow depth recording has been inaugurated - https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2HrDC_rkww/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
(Our own terrier sized measuring system doesn’t meet international standards…

)
snow conditions
The dogs in snow pics are one of the best parts of this site.
ski holidays
Forecast suggests a big dump of snow in VT today! The more the better! How was the snow earlier in the week??
snow conditions
But rain lower down Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s very wet in St Martin. The webcams don’t give promise of anything good at the moment.
snow report
Hope the rain lower in the valley doesn't do too much damage.
ski holidays
Mr P has gone out skiing, still drizzling in St M. I’ve asked for condition reports. I think he’s heading over towards VT. I’m at home with the dog (not skiing cos of my broken arm), and would normally be out and about with him on a long walk, but the prospect of slushy wet footpaths isn’t very enticing.
snow conditions
Sorry in advance for a very similar question I've asked on this thread, but how long would it take to ski down to St M from VT, quick drink/snack stop and the back to VT? I'll have a 2hr 45mins window in the morning and then another similar window in the afternoon.
latest report
@Roscoe, you could do it pretty comfortably in that time.
snow report
Layne wrote:
@Roscoe, you could do it pretty comfortably in that time.

Thank you! Like the look of St M when driving up to VT, so will be good to visit on the skis!
snow conditions
@Roscoe, yeah, it's fun to do and a nice bit of travelling.
latest report
I am spending a week in Meribel at the end of the month. I need new skis and would like to try a selection with a view to buying the pair that suit me best. Does anybody please have recommendations for a ski shop in Meribel with a good selection of test skis? I would be looking for men's all-mountain with a bias towoards on-piste rather than off.
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this question.
snow conditions
@Peterkct, the bootlab https://thebootlab.co.uk/ski-test-range/
snow conditions
Roscoe wrote:
Sorry in advance for a very similar question I've asked on this thread, but how long would it take to ski down to St M from VT, quick drink/snack stop and the back to VT? I'll have a 2hr 45mins window in the morning and then another similar window in the afternoon.

Let me recommend Le Corbeleys. Just above the St Martin Express on the left as you head down the piste. Excellent local food.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

Having a look at the piste map, its all a bit of a confusing. What is the best route down and then back up?
latest report
Roscoe wrote:
Layne wrote:

Having a look at the piste map, its all a bit of a confusing. What is the best route down and then back up?

VT to St M:

PIONNIERS or PLEIN SUD lift out of VT
3 VALLEES lift
Mont de la Chambre blue piste there are some red alternatives just make sure you follow any signs to...
MONT DE LA CHAMBRE lift
D Douillet red then blue piste down to...
BECCA lift
Boulevard de la Becca > Grand lac > Pelozet > Biolley all blue pistes down to St M

St M to VT:
ST MARTIN 1 > ST MARTIN EXPRESS lifts out of St M
Gros Tougne blue piste to...
GRANGES lift
Allamands red piste and Petit creux blue piste to...
MONT DE LA CHAMBRE lift
Follow signs to VT via Pluviometre or Chardons pistes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy