Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@mountainaddict, I think the level of abuse is miniscule. Even seasoned Tignards need it explaining and without a conscious effort it's hard to dial in which lifts have gates and which don't.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 1-12-23 18:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The light rain we’ve had on and off in Val turned to snow around 4pm, the roads are now white again.

Radio Val d’isere have announced that they expect a delay to opening tomorrow while they assess some areas and will advise in the morning what will be open.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Started off with light snow this morning at 2100, but turned into light rain for most of the day. Very poor viz, cable car closed, and not many people out (I wasn't one of them!) But the rain did much less damage than last week, and suspect it was snow a little higher up. Back to snow tonight. No point trying to improve on @chocksaway's outstanding weather outlook! just adding some on the ground colour
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Excellent! Are you around next week?

Yes - I'd forgotten it was the bash. Will be good to catch up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bobski62 wrote:
@mountainaddict, I think the level of abuse is miniscule. Even seasoned Tignards need it explaining and without a conscious effort it's hard to dial in which lifts have gates and which don't.

I don't know, but I'd speculate it may be more about getting accurate information about skier numbers and movements than avoiding abuse.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you're right @turbosmurf. And also about extending the offerings to the public - Les Arcs have had 4-hour passes for yonks, that start when you want to start, not a fixed pre-defined time.

Where might it end... a Tarantaise valley pass!?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Total poo-poo show on the road up, idiots without chains sliding everywhere. Completely blocked the Tignes/Val junction.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mangard is now a red, not really the easiest blue but not a red I wouldn't have said, and Cognon is gone, one of the few pistes in the Espace Killy that I've never skied ad it always seems to be closed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably 30cm overnight and still snowing. Flat light today, but tomorrow should be good. Toviere and palafour were running for the first time this season. The varsity ski trip is in Tignes from tomorrow, and I hear a few hundred Spaniards arriving too... not forgetting the bash of course
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd describe today's skiing as "crunchy with fluff on". As @turbosmurf says, flat light and / or poor viz. conspired to make it hard work. And some lifts broke down by the afternoon, notably Tufs. With strong winds on top of all that I didn't dip any toes into Val, just in case my only ride home got closed (wind felt westerly and Tommeuses faces west so maybe I was being over cautious).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like the rain had an effect above the base, but probably better conditions than last year's opening, right?

http://youtube.com/v/HUyB56QQZbk
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ajcrski, Blimey - rough conditions for a first day of the season on skis.

Reminds me of when I returned to skiing after back surgery, having missed about 3 years due to its deterioration....and had no idea what would happen.

Myself and Miss Fartbagette were staying in Chalet Bellevarde (which Crystal had shown in the wrong location)....and given we had arrived in the dark, I wasn't sure where it was.

The first day was similar to that video....and after about a 15 min walk, we took the first chair we saw, which turned out to be the first of two, that takes you to the top of Bellevarde. We sat in the biting wind, with hail like snow stinging any exposed flesh.

The plan was of course to get the second chair up to the easy skiing on the other side...but the other chair was shut - so there was no option for our first run, but to come back down the Red "Joseray", which runs down to the right of The Face Black piste..

The light was flat, the wind was strong, the visibility was awful, the bumps were large and were part new snow and part sheet ice....certainly a test of my rusty ability and whether the L3/L4 fusion would hold up.

My back did hold out (and survived the week), as did we.....and we've been skiing every year since. Long may it continue.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've done some updates now to the post on page 1 regarding parking height limits. None of them have shrunk despite Indigoneo listing all of them as being 1.9m. Beware that in Lavachet, not all floors have been created equal. Ditto Lac 2.

The hourly tariffs are unchanged from last winter and appear to still be identical irrespective of choice of parking. So, save yourself the bother of clearing snow off your car at the end of your stay and choose one that's covered.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re height limits at lavachet my car and top box fitted in without scrapy noises at 2m2cms last Jan!
Previous vehicles at 2m20 include a freelander plus top box and a Tuareg plus top box and all went both in and out without major issue although I was able to park em on the entry level slope or exit level slope HTH
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guests in the chalet upstairs were departing today. When they arrived it was raining and slush everywhere. So... they got frozen into the ruts rather as expected. I kept my head down but there was eventually the inevitable knock on the door: "do you have a booster - one of our cars has a flat battery". Yes, but it's in my car in Golf car park. They gave me a lift up there in the car that they had managed to extricate. I managed to drive out of the car park with the barrier lifting automatically - yay! Much cranking later, my booster was flat and the car still dead. I left them my own jump leads which they attached to theirs and they carried on, trying to budge their van at the same time. Meantime, I drove back up to Golf to re-park. Barrier didn't lift; card didn't scan. More chat on the intercom: "the reason you can't get into Golf is because your pass is for Lac 2". FFS. No amount of remonstration would persuade Indigo so out again and over to Lac 2. Which advertises itself at being 2.2m high when you go in (ANPR actually worked this time!). So it was curious to hear scraping sounds each time I drove under a concrete supporting beam. I had raised the suspension for the ramps so lowered it again - on normal I know the car is 2m with the top box (next setting up puts it at 2.05m).

I've updated page 1.
ski holidays
@bobski62,

Are the car parks outdoors?

If they are outdoors do the authorities clear the snow/ice at the entrances to the car park in order to ensure that the height restrictions are not reduced by the snow/ice on the road?
snow conditions
welshflyer wrote:
@bobski62,

If they are outdoors do the authorities clear the snow/ice at the entrances to the car park in order to ensure that the height restrictions are not reduced by the snow/ice on the road?

Never been an issue at lavachet the entrance height is much higher(as is exit) than the more restricted heights further in expect same at the other car parks
These are the under ground parks of course!
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
@bobski62,

Some are indoors, some are outdoors. In both cases yes they do take care to clear right to the ground. And they'll often leave the swing barrier open or unlocked on outdoor carparks where it might be an issue.

Most of the indoor parking entrances have a high covered area before you go in so snow doesn't build up where height starts to become restricted.
ski holidays
Good evening, I’m staying at Pierre & Vacances in La Daille this coming Friday-Monday and will be driving from GVA. Where is the best place to park?
snow conditions
Hi @JoyZipper, hope you have a great trip.

As you drive in to La Daille, if you look left just after the first roundabout you will see P2 which is covered but with a height limit of 1.9m.

If you carry on to the second roundabout you will see the open air car park P5 or "Plaine de la Daille" on your right. The entrance and roundabout are together. This will have a swing barrier to stop commercial vehicles using it, at least 2.2m but can't remember if it may be higher.

Which you choose will depend on what vehicle you have, the weather, your appetite for clearing snow and, of course, convenience.

I think the covered P2 is closest to your lodgings.
snow report
@bobski62, yes, P2 ..pretty much opposite the la Daille bus stop. We are currently 2 buildings up from PV
ski holidays
@JoyZipper, Pierre & Vacances is built over the P2 car park and so definitely your nearest car park.

You can book on the website but this early in the season to there should be plenty of space.

Have a good trip.
ski holidays
Thanks all.

One more question - where/when is the bib draw for the slalom on Friday night?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 4-12-23 19:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
JoyZipper wrote:
One more question - where/when is the bib draw for the slalom on Friday night?

From the programme here, I would guess it will be somewhere on the main street.
ski holidays
Perfect thanks.
latest report
Yes its always on the high street the bib draw!

Re parking. We live in P+V and due to having a 2m high van we park in Le Cret parking which is only a little further up the road from the outdoor parking described above and opposite the heli-port. Only 5 min walk back down the path to P+V from there!
snow report
I'm in Val Christmas week. I'm really wanting to up my level (and spend all my money) this season (confident on any red, blacks generally fine, moguls+powder need work). Got new boots, skis, skiing more regularly on my home resort's minuscule hill this season. Any recommendations on group lessons I can just into this week? I understand it may be tough to find openings (Although I have found some, just don't know the quality of the schools). Already booked a Warren Smith camp for later this season, thinking about hopping into some other group lessons on my earlier trips as well.
snow report
@stevesie, what have you found already?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevesie, see if Steve has any space over on his thread...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612

or contact TDC directly https://www.tdcski.com/val_disere/about_tdc_valdisere/valdisere_ski_instructors.php
snow conditions
Does anyone know when the runs (and lifts) will open going down to Brev please? They seem be in prep on the live map. Thank you.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@stevesie, see if Steve has any space over on his thread...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612

or contact TDC directly https://www.tdcski.com/val_disere/about_tdc_valdisere/valdisere_ski_instructors.php

Thanks.

@Stevesie - might have a spot or two but depends on the level etc. As above utilise the link and send the office a message to see what availability there is for group lessons that week.
snow report
Could anyone with local knowledge of Ski Shops in Tignes Lac, tell me where to go in order to get the edges sharpened to the angle that is my preference ie. 1,3. Many shops just run it through the machine and don't give this option.

Two shops that seem to have a decent reputation are Le Vallon Blanc and Mountain Story.

Any advice gratefully received.
ski holidays
Try Tignes Spirit. The technician thre last year was brilliant. You can only ask.
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
Try Tignes Spirit. The technician thre last year was brilliant. You can only ask.

Thank you.

I'd thought about Tignes Spirit, but if possible, I'd like somewhere a bit handier. The two I mentioned are within a 3 minute walk. Tignes Spirit requires a short bus ride.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, AFAIK, Tignes Spirit does not have a machine other than for a flat base grind. So you are relying on a savvy technician to get your skis how you want them. If Anyone knows different please please post and pick up on the discussion.

Guy Clarey / Sport 2000 / Rue de la Poste used to run a Montana and would reliably give you a side angle of whatever you wanted but insisted on a base angle of half a degree, non-negotiable. I suspect it was too much trouble to change the machine. But that's all moot as he's shut up shop and the unit he was in is still vacant. No idea what's happened to his Montana but if anyone knows, please say.

Manu in One Ski, Val Claret, has a good reputation, preps race skis and has many loyal customers. He'll take on board what you want but only has a flat-bed grinder so all finishing is "by hand". Inverted commas because the marks on the last pair he did for me suggested he used a SkiMan or Wintersteiger to finish, held by hand, naturally. Last pair I took to him did not come back as I'd asked. I wanted half and 87 but got 1/88.

Precision Sport in VC send theirs on a truck to be done on a machine overnight. No idea what machine but they consistently come back 1/88 which is fine if that's what you want. In theory you can ask for a different side angle but I think it'll be pot luck what you get. If you ask for a specific base angle they argue with you that you're stupid and they only do zero/flat. Depressing but very French.

KIlly Sport in Val d'Isere run a Wintersteiger monster. Whatever I ask for I consistently get. They remain my default "go to" place for a reliable machine service. Say hi to Jeremy or Nicolas and say Bob sent you.
ski holidays
@bobski62, Thank you for the comprehensive reply.

If I was in VDI, Killy Sport would be my preference.

Do you have any view on the shops that I listed? I think they both have their own machine.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, Le Vallon Blanc closed after Covid.
Nicolas the owner was working at Mountain Story last winter.
snow report
Sorry @Old Fartbag, I've not tried either but happy to look in and have a chat as you can find out a lot from a short discussion and peek at their workshop, if it's on site. Tomorrow I'm super busy but I can see if I can look in in the next few days. There's self-interest involved as it would be good to find a place that's a bit less of a schlep that can reliability do what you want.
snow conditions
drporat wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Le Vallon Blanc closed after Covid.
Nicolas the owner was working at Mountain Story last winter.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I got my skis waxed at Mountain Story in Jan....I should have asked then.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, I think Nicolas will be just fine. The building was sold to form a big plot with the Arbina for our next 5 star hotel. He was one of the last of the descendants of the original families to sell up.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy