Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
EDIT: THESE ARE THE 22/23 SEASON OPENING TIMES The tourist office have published the Supermarket winter opening times

@NickyJ, @Badbobby, @nahdendee,

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-12-23 11:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@radar, thankyou. Is that saying one of the MPreis doesnt start opening until 19th? We are arriving on 16th. Sorry it is a bit blurry on my screen
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
EDIT: that was last years opening date Embarassed @NickyJ, mpreis in town doesn’t open until 19 Dec,it’s going to be Billa for you.

To get to the pdf, follow https://www.saalbach.com/de/service/infrastruktur/m-preis-saalbach-wieslweg_a_1626 and its at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 6-12-23 11:45; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for link
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to add to the confusion - MPreis in the centre of Saalbach is actually already open (it is a shop that only opens during the summer and winter seasons).

The pdf above (and on the Saalbach.com website) is for last year 2022-23
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@quinton, thanks, bit annoyed with myself for missing that! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
quinton wrote:
Just to add to the confusion - MPreis in the centre of Saalbach is actually already open (it is a shop that only opens during the summer and winter seasons).

The pdf above (and on the Saalbach.com website) is for last year 2022-23

Ah so we can use on the day we arrive?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mpreiss in town opening hours
https://www.mpreis.at/maerkte/id-8762/mpreis-saalbach/5753-dorfplatz-533?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb-profil

The out of town Mpreis and Billa haven’t published what their Sunday hours are but it’s likely the same as in the link to the pdf above

@NickyJ,
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@quinton, you got the grey cells working! just clicked that they did that last year for rave on snow and then closed again, which totally threw us
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ Yes, you can go to the MPreis if it's open. 16th is a Saturday, and there is the annual Rave On Snow event happening over that weekend, so it will almost certainly be open. It is less than 5 minutes walk from the Residence Saalbach.

However, it is a small supermarket and does not have as broad a range of products as the larger MPreis between Saalbach and Hinterglemm, or the Billa on the main road. I would make shopping the priority when you arrive and go directly to Billa (10 mins walk - go down the main street then left and 100m past the BP garage) or the bigger MPreis (20 mins walk, or 2 mins on the bus). You can call a taxi (06541 6620) to pick you up when you've finished shopping.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
quinton wrote:
@NickyJ Yes, you can go to the MPreis if it's open. 16th is a Saturday, and there is the annual Rave On Snow event happening over that weekend, so it will almost certainly be open. It is less than 5 minutes walk from the Residence Saalbach.

However, it is a small supermarket and does not have as broad a range of products as the larger MPreis between Saalbach and Hinterglemm, or the Billa on the main road. I would make shopping the priority when you arrive and go directly to Billa (10 mins walk - go down the main street then left and 100m past the BP garage) or the bigger MPreis (20 mins walk, or 2 mins on the bus). You can call a taxi (06541 6620) to pick you up when you've finished shopping.

Brilliant. Thanks for info. It is normally high on priority list.... though normally grab lunch first. I am hoping we can leave luggage at the hotel as hoping to arrive 14:30, so should have time to get food in for us for dinner, breakfast and next few days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I'm planning my "boys" trip for 27th Jan-3rd Feb, we are heading back to Austria for the first time in 7 years (one of the boys veto'd the PreBB bash) and broadly planning a return to Mayrhofen. However my interest is piqued in the Salbaach/Hinterglemm area and wonder if it would be a good fit. 50 something "boys" good intermediates, mainly on piste but will have a dabble off the sides, like a few beers and a band if we can, and decent accommodation (B&B).

Would the cognoscenti recommend it for us and which parts? Thanks.

I'm looking at going away somewhere with a mate and have quietly been perusing S/H as we've been tp Mayrhofen twice and were in T/Vd'I last January. We're committed skiers, rarely do lunch, not massively into Apres these days as I'd rather ski!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MrTInTheSnow, in my (admittedly biased) opinion, Saalbach beats Mayrhofen in all respects. It has none of the drawbacks of Mayrhofen, and lots more to offer. The Austrians generally acknowledge Saalbach to be one of the “top three” (the others being St Anton and Ischgl). A couple of Germans I was talking to, who ski the top three regularly, rated it number one, on account of its attractiveness, friendliness, prices, restaurants, etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to interrupt the current season with talk of 24/25 but I know the World Champs are well into the planning stage......I am hoping to return to S/H in Jan 25 (11th probably). Does anyone have any idea when slopes will be getting closed to prep for the championships or how many? I think there would still be 2 full weeks after our departure date before they start but I wonder if some of the area might be out of bounds, or part of the circuit blocked off
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@toyah807, The World Championships all take place on one run - #36/36a - which runs almost directly under the Zwolferkogel cable car in Hinterglemm. The top half is a black run (36) and the section below the mid-station is a red (36a).

There are red and blue runs that run almost parallel to this run which is how most people ski this area. Closing the race area (which happens several times during a season for Austrian and State championships and for other races) has no impact on skiing the circuit.
It is possible (and usual) to stand by the side of the course, on the safe side of the netting, to watch the racers training and during the races.
snow conditions
@quinton, thanks, that's really helpful
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
@radar, thankyou. Is that saying one of the MPreis doesnt start opening until 19th? We are arriving on 16th. Sorry it is a bit blurry on my screen

Have a good offer in Saalbach from 9 to 16 December, would any of the supermarkets in the village be open during this period? (won't have a car)

Also, with the Bergfestival and Rave on Snow taking place during these dates can anyone advise how busy the area is likely to be ie what effect will it have on restaurants, cafes, shops etc and the ski areas ie pistes, ski buses, ski lifts and walking trails
latest report
@nahdendee, my experience has been that the two festivals you’ve mentioned don’t have much impact. Those attending tend to be concentrated in the area around the Schattberg Xpress car park, where there has been a stage set up. There may also be something going on on the summit of Schattberg Ost. But it’s obviously a very quiet time of the season, and, if it wasn’t for the attendees at these events, the village would be relatively deserted.
The Billa and large MPreis supermarkets should be open as normal.
It might be advisable to book accommodation in the upper part of the village, away from all the commotion and so-called music.
Incidentally my rental apartment, opposite the Kohlmaisbahn lift station is available (until 30th December) in case anyone’s interested.
ski holidays
Folks - supermarkets in Saalbach are always open. MPreis and Billa are open all year round, as is Spar in Hinterglemm.

The small MPreis in the centre of Saalbach opened last weekend - this is the only one that has seasonal opening.
ski holidays
Hi all. I was chatting a week or so ago ref a hotel and transfers. Thanks for all the input.

Managed to get a place in Hinterglemm (https://www.hotel-wolfgang.at/en/) for around €1300 which I think is a good price. Seems OK.

I've stayed in Hinterglemm many times and in fact smashed my shoulder up on the small slope next to the hotel once not paying attention and hitting some ice! Saalbach would have been nice having never stayed there but with the saving I can grab a taxi down there for a game of pool with my lad, unless there's a bar with pool in Hinterglemm?

Think the bus as per the advice from @radar will be the transfer option. Very Happy
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@Pejoli, food options , Del Rossi, Schatberg Stube or S’Wirtshaus mid price , we eat regularly at Del Rossi and the Wirtshaus.

Hotels are also an option, Das Kholmais you would walk past it to get into town check if they take non resident bookings, you can eat at the Neuhaus hotel can highly recommend their steak.

There is also Pizzeria Napoli, good pizza they do other things too, might not be the right option for Christmas day but it’s a nice place.

Maisalm it’s on the blue run back to town but you can get there by cab in the evening, its a mix of modern and traditional Austrian.

Spielberghaus, take a piste basher up have dinner in the mountains and toboggan back (we took the piste basher both ways) , you will need cash for fare, you will also need to take a cab to departure point.

More up market Herzlstubn at the hotel Kendler, eaten there a couple of times and it’s very good, also the Tiroler Baum which would be a cab ride.

Ski Hire, from where you are the closest is Brundl near the Kholmais lift station, not sure if Sunweb use them.

So the spielberghaus is all booked for Xmas day dinner - however, they seem to be reluctant to offer a piste basher return. What is the toboggan run like - bearing in mind it will be 11pm, and we’ll doubtless have had a drink or three.
snow report
“What is the toboggan run like - bearing in mind it will be 11pm, and we’ll doubtless have had a drink or three.”

I think that’s the object of the exercise!
snow conditions
@Pejoli, it’s basically a mountain road/track that goes on for a couple of miles or km. Nothing steep. Just watch out for the ravine to one side.
ski holidays
We’ve pencilled in Saalbach-Hinterglemm for the end of Feb 25. Never previously been.

Which hotels would the area experts recommend, please? Price sensitive to an extent, we do like a nice spa/pool and very easy access to the slopes [short walk or ski to door]. Have no interest in night life.

Cheers.
snow report
“ Which hotels would the area experts recommend, please? Price sensitive to an extent, we do like a nice spa/pool and very easy access to the slopes [short walk or ski to door].”

Hotel Kohlmais
snow conditions
Or in Hinterglemm, https://www.ellmauhof.at/
snow conditions
Any other snowheads with teenagers going out next weekend?
snow report
First time visitors to Hinterglemm staying very near the bottom Reiterkogelbahn lift.

Is there a ski school that would do private lessons using this lift? (the ones I’ve found seem to be on the other side of town and not sure how easy it is to get across)

Also are there lockers or a ski hire shop with lockers at the bottom of the Reiterkogelbahn lift?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been recommended http://www.penhab.at/

Which we have booked and they were happy to meet us at accommodation first morning. We don't go until next week so can comment on how it has gone after that
ski holidays
The new bridge by the Hochalm lift station has been completed, no more having to take your skis off or having to use the tow rope to get over to the Nordbhan, it's also your last chance to discover the two cabins with seats Very Happy as it will be replaced at the end of this season.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 9-12-23 19:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Lillyfait, we stayed in Hinterglemm in 2022 and it's just a quick hop across the main street between the lifts.

I had a private lesson with Penhab last year and would recommend. The Zwolferkogel slopes are often used for lessons (or at least they have for me) and if you don't fancy the walk to the lift from your hotel you can take the lift shown as A9 on the piste map (less than a 5 minute walk from the Reiterkogel) take pistes 10 and 15 to lift B3 (which literally takes you over a road) and then a short ski and you are at the Zwolferkogel base station. It's 10-15 minutes total travel time.
ski holidays
A view from above of the new bridge it's at the end of 40, it's taken from 50a

ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@Pejoli, it’s basically a mountain road/track that goes on for a couple of miles or km. Nothing steep. Just watch out for the ravine to one side.

Thanks, looks like we’ll be fine then - though from the ‘reassuring my wife’ pov, ‘watch out for the ravine’ is right up there with ‘unless you meet a bear’ Very Happy
latest report
So unfortunately it looks like my wife won’t be able to ski this holiday - she’s been suffering from hip bursitis for most of the year, and it’s flared up again. That in turn has affected her knee exercises (she is sans Acl as of an accident last year).

With that in mind, what sort of activities might be available to keep her amused? Hopefully she’ll at least be able to get around, so any easy walks that could be recommended (we’re in Saalbach at the end of ronarchweg) . I assume zell is easy to get to by bus - how feasible is a day trip to Salzburg? And are there any good options for her coming up the mountain to meet us for lunch?

I’d also gone fairly cheap on the accommodation, on the thinking that saving 2k would pay for quite a lot of spa day passes, but the hotels I’ve enquired are not selling them (it being such a busy period). Does anyone know of any likely places I can try?
snow report
@Pejoli,
There are winter walks some are guided and free, https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/winter-hiking_a_1634

You can get to Zell on the 680 bus, you can also use it to connect to the 260 at Maishofen to go to Salzburg , the link will also give you train connections https://fahrplan.salzburg-verkehr.at/

There are several eating options at the top and at mid station of the gondolas, off the top of my head about 10.

If you are in Hinterglemm you could meet at the Xandlstall, she could walk up you ski down (it’s cash only but they have there own ATM) or the Der Schwarzacher .

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 10-12-23 12:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Pejoli, try Die Sonne they offer a day spa for €60, might have gone up.
snow report
@Pejoli, all accessible by lift, either top, bottom or middle, I’ve done them by cable car then the restaurant, most were discovered through the help of Tatmantours Toofy Grin

Schonleiten
Wildenkarhütte, the self service section has the best view, they will serve you if you want the full menu.
Rachkuchl
Hochwart Tenne , bottom next to the lift station

Reiterkogel
Wieseralm

Hochalm
Die Alm 1350
AlpenOase Sonnhof

12er KOGEL
Genuss Hoch 12
Xandl stall, cash only has ATM, on foot walk up
Winkler Alm , cash only

Westgipfel
Westgipfelhütte

Bernkogel
Luis Alm

Kohlmais
Montana Royal Alpin Club
latest report
@Pejoli, There's a non-skiers lift ticket available for your wife - and as above, there's a restaurant at the top and the mid station of just about every lift. She can use the ski bus to get between Saalbach and Hinterglemm, and on to Hochalm. On Kohlmais there are more restaurants than just the Montana Royal at the top. At the mid-station there's the Asteralm, and a short walk up the piste is the (nicer) Ederalm.

Salzburg can be reached either by train from Zell am See or by taking the 680 bus to the crossroads at Maishofen and then the 260 bus - she has to walk under the bridge and up the short ramp to the bus stop on the main road, but can ask the driver. A closer option for a day trip is Kitzbuhel, which is only 40 minutes by train from Zell am See.
snow report
Day spas are normally offered by the Hotels Kendler and Alpenresort
snow conditions
radar wrote:
The new bridge by the Hochalm lift station has been completed, no more having to take your skis off or having to use the tow rope to get over to the Nordbhan, it's also your last chance to discover the two cabins with seats Very Happy as it will be replaced at the end of this season.

Handy now there is a bridge there, I recall having to take skis off to cross. I don't remember there being a rope there though? I think it was about 11 or 12 years ago since I last skied there though.

I always thought the run down below the Nordbahn was a black all the way too, has that changed or did I just not pay attention to where it changes to red? Likely the latter knowing me!

Fond memories of blasting down piste 50a to catch the last bus after a bit of Apres in the Walleggalm! That run is well in the shade at that time and can catch a few out!

Another question ref lifts if you guys don't mind, I recall there being a long T-bar that (from memory) linked Saalbach to Hinterglemm on the Reiter side, that been replaced by D6?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy