Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
polo wrote:
About 10cm heavy snow overnight at 1300m

Where abouts are you based?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Roscoe, @uanm
Les Gets, but I imagine same everywhere. Some lovely snow on the sides of pistes that were bashed early this morning. Got that gliding sensation on just 5cm untracked on top of piste

It’s all getting a bit chopped up and lumpy on busy pistes, but a very enjoyable few days so far.

Heading to Chatel tomorrow for some early corduroy in the sun, warming up quickly, but still snowing at 1300 now

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 2-02-22 12:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
polo wrote:
@Roscoe, @uanm
Les Gets, but I imagine same everywhere. Some lovely snow on the sides of pistes that were bashed early this morning. Got that gliding sensation on just 5cm untracked on top of piste

It’s all getting a bit chopped up and lumpy on busy pistes, but a very enjoyable few days so far.

Heading to Chatel tomorrow for some early corduroy in the sun, warming up quickly

Thanks! My Brother flies out to Morzine tomorrow so he will be chuffed with the new snow fall. I'm out for a week next month so just hope for more snow to come!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been lightly (barely) snowing all day in Avoriaz, but temps only just around freezing, so snow is quite heavy and bumped up - again, not great viz, so quite hard work for us. We’ve got wet through, so called an early end of play. But a lot of people still out there having fun.

Tomorrows going to be warm (8 degrees) and overcast but at least not in the cloud - pistes should be in fine form, but anything else will be consolidated, I think.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been raining down in Morzine all day, all very wet down here. Snow in Avoriaz was all very cut up and quite hard work. Much better in Chatel, not as busy and think the pistes had been bashed a bit more recently so a lot more consistent.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ozric wrote:
Been raining down in Morzine all day, all very wet down here. Snow in Avoriaz was all very cut up and quite hard work. Much better in Chatel, not as busy and think the pistes had been bashed a bit more recently so a lot more consistent.

Oh no! That's disappointing! Assume there is no snow in the town and the pistes have taken a hammering??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pejoli wrote:
Been lightly (barely) snowing all day in Avoriaz, but temps only just around freezing, so snow is quite heavy and bumped up - again, not great viz, so quite hard work for us. We’ve got wet through, so called an early end of play.
that sums up my day over in chatel, didnt enjoy it one bit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Oh no! That's disappointing! Assume there is no snow in the town and the pistes have taken a hammering??

Still some stuff on the rooftops, everything on the ground has gone to slush. Lowest slopes on the Pleney face were getting quite slushy according to my friends. Thankfully it was snowing by the time we got to the top of the Super Morzine bubble.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Magnificent conditions today, chalky pistes, perfect viz, plenty of soft off piste. Definitely more snow on trees up here in Avoriaz

Any complaints today and you’re in the wrong sport Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ozric wrote:
Quote:

Still some stuff on the rooftops, everything on the ground has gone to slush. Lowest slopes on the Pleney face were getting quite slushy according to my friends. Thankfully it was snowing by the time we got to the top of the Super Morzine bubble.

Any more snow overnight?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, Avoriaz back in my good books today, lovely conditions over on the Le Crosets side (as long as you didn’t go too low). A little bumpy by afternoon as you’d expect with the temps, but the high alt. cloud cover by then kept the snow from getting too baked, and made for a lovely lunch time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First time / day in the PdS today. We are 3Vs + EK regulars and admittedly I was a bit apprehensive when my regular boys group suggested Les Gets for our 1st trip in 2 years. Didn’t venture to Avoriaz but managed to clock just shy of 40 miles in the Les Gets and Morzine bowl. Really enjoyed it. Lift infrastructure good but more importantly the snow was lovely throughout. Quite firm in the morning but it had softened nicely by 11ish. Some reds a bit choppy after 3 but that’s to be expected. Snow coverage great. Looking forward to tomorrow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any recommendations to watch the rugby on Saturday in Les Gets?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Any more snow overnight?

Wasn't anymore overnight but conditions were perfect today. Mostly sunny and the pistes were running great. A little bare when we went over to Grand Paradis but that was to be expected. I would even say the the Swiss Wall was alright when we went through it in the morning.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franga wrote:
Any recommendations to watch the rugby on Saturday in Les Gets?

Bar Bush and Black Bear used to be great, obviously missed the last 2 years so can't tell who'll be good this year. There were usually boards outside advertising the games that were being screened. Post which is best as we will be there for the last 2 weekends. Very Happy
ski holidays
Bar bush has been closed since Sep; currently being renovated by new owner ( the guy who runs Becanerie restaurant next door has bought it).

Black bear, Boomerang or Le George, and some of the hotels will show it.
latest report
polo wrote:
Bar bush has been closed since Sep; currently being renovated by new owner ( the guy who runs Becanerie restaurant next door has bought it).
Oh dear, end of an era, you didn't meet Mark Pring the first english owner in the 80's & 90's (I think there's still a few Pring's Bar stickers on some older lift pylons). Then Figs had it and changed the name to Bar Bush (you might know Figs?), then Cindy. The Becanerie guys seem cool but I can't see it keeping the same vibe. Shame snowHead
snow report
polo wrote:

Black bear, Boomerang or Le George, and some of the hotels will show it.

Thanks! Had a couple of pints in Black Bear tonight and have confirmed the rugby will be on tomorrow.
latest report
I had an hour free in Avoriaz yesterday morning, and decided it was time to man-up Skullie . I'm happy to report that having turned 60 and since the heart-attack in December, I managed the death-cookie-strewn frozen bumps of the Combette and Arête des Intrets no worse than I did 30 years ago! I might have stopped a couple more time though... Blush
snow report
I skied the last couple of days around Morzine and Avoriaz. Conditions are generally pretty good given only a small amount of recent snow. Pistes around Avoriaz are in excellent shape. There has been some wind on Thursday/Friday night which did strip off new snow off piste with some sketchy areas around the Mossettes chair. We found the best snow around the Choucas chair. Morzine was icy in the morning but good higher up. Pistes lower down are bullet proof/hard. Was quite busy as French start holidays but not many lift queues. Super Morzine lift was 30+ mins in the morning, it would be worth getting a bus or taxi! They really need to update that lift!
snow report
Quote:

Super Morzine lift was 30+ mins in the morning, it would be worth getting a bus or taxi! They really need to update that lift!

Yes queued there lots, mainly in the summer. For years they've been talking about a massive 3g lift from the centre of town to go up the Prodain valley and meet with the big lift up to avoriaz. I guess that big potential investment curtailed any budget for replacing super morzine bubble. Last I heard was that this plan had been rejected so makes lack of a decent sized SM lift more noticeable.
snow report
@shep, no experience pre 2014, but yeah sad to see Bar Bush gone, Cindy was a great host. It was down to a small gang of regular ex pats to keep the lights on over the last few seasons. He had it on the market since 2019 but ran out of time.

It re-opened on Saturday, IPA style bar, sports screen and music. Much brighter and nicer decor than the bush. But the new manager (french dude from the Bec) has attracted a completely different crowd...young french, and somewhat alternative....tat's and piercings s etc. But some of the old faithful have popped in for a look too....so will give it time before i'll know if I'll be one of them.

Great weeks skiing, Mont Chery looking a bit tragic lower down in the sun all day ....large bare patches / slush mud combo....but everywhere else coverage is good.
Will all look much better soon with 20+cm expected tonight
snow report
Quote:

I had an hour free in Avoriaz yesterday morning, and decided it was time to man-up . I'm happy to report that having turned 60 and since the heart-attack in December, I managed the death-cookie-strewn frozen bumps of the Combette and Arête des Intrets no worse than I did 30 years ago! I might have stopped a couple more time though...

Namaste
snow conditions
polo wrote:
Great weeks skiing, Mont Chery looking a bit tragic lower down in the sun all day ....large bare patches / slush mud combo....but everywhere else coverage is good.
Will all look much better soon with 20+cm expected tonight
Chery was okay-ish on Saturday, but indeed no point in doing the red down more than once, I value my skis above the annoyance of taking a lift down...

It was pretty busy on the road, I guess borders open for Brits plus one French zone on hols means I might give up resort skiing for a month (except dropping the kids for lessons/training/races). Time to revert to rando...
ski holidays
@davejsy, Thanks snowHead
snow report
Woke up hoping to see the 15-25cm which was forecast, there can't be more than 5cm here at 1100m. Hopefully there's more on the hill...

Edit: Just spoke to the school-bus driver, who also drives the snowplough. He said he was clearing 30-40 up at the Encrenaz this morning snowHead
snow report
La Chapelle D'Abondance - went to bed with 5cm of snow last night and woke up with less, but plenty of avalanche blasting. There appears to be a snow line around 1,250m
latest report
MHskier wrote:
Quote:

Super Morzine lift was 30+ mins in the morning, it would be worth getting a bus or taxi! They really need to update that lift!

Yes queued there lots, mainly in the summer. For years they've been talking about a massive 3g lift from the centre of town to go up the Prodain valley and meet with the big lift up to avoriaz. I guess that big potential investment curtailed any budget for replacing super morzine bubble. Last I heard was that this plan had been rejected so makes lack of a decent sized SM lift more noticeable.

Yep, the Morzine/Prodains gondola plan has been canned but it was never going to happen - which became obvious to all as soon as someone costed it out!

Current plan being proposed is to extend the S-M gondola.
- Current 'top station' will remain but become 'middle station'.
- A new top station will be added further up the mountain, beyond the top of the Zore chair and a new run down to the Proclou chair.
- I'd assume a new chair would also be added from the bottom of the Proclou/Seraussuix runs up to that new 'top station'.

That's not going to do anything about queues though unless the new 'top station' is actually all the way up in Avoriaz, which would reduce queues for the Proclou chair. But then neither this or the Morzine/Prodains gondola plan are about reducing queues, but rather playground fighting between the larger ski areas about who/what is the "largest linked ski area", and other areas saying "but you have to walk across Morzine, so it isn't really linked" and "but the S-M link is just a cat track so not really skiing so not really linked".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Matrix, Was that the SM Gondola base station to buy tickets, or to access the Gondola?
What was Proclou queue like ?
snow report
By contrast I was in PLJ yesterday - the car park was busy, but I've no idea where everyone one was.
There was a bit of a queue for tickets, but the lifts themselves were queue-less.
At one point I thought Cornebois was closed because there were Zero people there. The drags on the SC Plateau had small queues as did the Linga TC, but over towards Chalet neuf, you could just get straight on the lifts. Coming back the Plaine Dranse sector was a bit busier as it was nearer Avoriaz, but still not big queues for Rochassons or CdR.
ski holidays
@shep, you got more than we did then Sad
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
@Matrix, Was that the SM Gondola base station to buy tickets, or to access the Gondola?

On buying lift passes, both at the S-M and Pleney offices and assuming you're buying a 'normal' pass, if there's a queue for the staffed windows have a quick check if there's a queue for the automated machines too, quite often there isn't. At the S-M it's tucked in the little wooden hut between the ticket office windows and gondola entrance. At the Pleney I think there's one or two just outside the main entrance and maybe a couple more just inside on the left or right of the entrance (but don't quote me on that as I've only seen them, not used them).
snow report
@WindOfChange, the long line was to get on the gondola. Not to buy tickets
snow report
Not really a weather question but will be driving to Avoriaz for half term next weekend and trying to second-guess if it's worth the slightly longer/in theory slower route along Lake Geneva to Thonon and up through St Jean d'Aulps rather than the 'normal' route past the gondola graveyward in Taninges and through Les Gets. I've only done Geneva transfers before, and then never at half term. My thinking is the Taninges route will have all the Les Gets and most of the Morzine and Avoriaz traffic as it's the route satnavs will generally pick while 'the long way' will be quieter and what I lose on distance I'll more than make up for with better flowing traffic? No snowmagedon forecast at the moment so probably over-thinking it but hey, it's more fun than focusing on work Very Happy
snow report
@Mjit, its quite a bit further and you have Annemasse to get through (or avoid) which is almost always a pain in the proverbial. No easy solution for that week I don't think
ski holidays
Gorgeous here today! Played around in Plain Dranse mostly. Fresh 10cm of snow which was beautiful and squeaky underfoot.
snow report
@Mjit, There will be some half term experts along here soon but here's my contribution. We've very often seen the traffic from Les Gets going in the opposite direction from the half term flows as we've driven out as the half term traffic was arriving and up as it was leaving and often thought about how I would do it and been thankful that I didn't have to.

So a few observations

Annemasse can be absolute s**t trying to drive through it on a peak season Saturday morning is not fun, it's not even pretty. Traffic on the A40 there can get completely clogged purely because of the volume getting off at that junction. If I had decided to get there via Thonons I would either try and cut towards Geneva before Annemasse and then take the scenic route along the lake or go one junction past to junction 15 and then cut back towards Thonon.

Alternatively come off the A40 at the same junction and take the D907 to Taninges etc. At least going that way you get priority at the roundabout in Taninges where the Cluses road joins.

There's been a lot of positive comments here in the past of the route through Switzerland via Poligny around the eastern end of the lake which if there's no danger of snowmageddon looks a good alternative.
snow report
There's no good reason to ever go thru Annemasse Little Angel . I dropped my mates to the airport yesterday and took the Thonon route there....it's about 1hr40, so definitely longer, but much more scenic and easier drive....less likely to take a wrong turn or hit heavy traffic....also avoids Swiss motorway charge (40 chf). From airport, stay on UN (lac) side of geneva, then as you cross Mont Blanc bridge just stay as far left as possible and follow the lake initially, heading towards Veigy foncenex, Douvaine, Margencel, St Jean D'Aulps
snow conditions
Anyone know of any future PDS lift pass deals or offers coming up?

I'll be coming w/c 21st March and will be buying 4 adult passes. Currently there are €1k all in but if I can get them cheap closer to the time or on any future deals, would be great.
snow conditions
Deals tend to be for buying early, before the season starts, usually 10%-15%.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy