Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
From my experience, while the gondola from Brides is slow it takes nearly as long to drive to Meribel (Chaudanne) and find parking especially if there is snow on the road. There is free parking at the bottom of the gondola either in the car park or on the road nearby. Take the Tounette bubble and then a gentle warm up run to Mottaret or all they way to the top and either down towards St Martin or back down a choice of runs towards Meribel.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks everyone - much appreciated.

I checked the one day options on the laplagnet site earlier but I'll pop into the tourism office when we arrive to find out what the skinny is.

Cheers - most helpful!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i'm with tarrantd on this: the Brides gondola is an excellent opportunity for breakfast (even better if you bring along a thermos of coffee snowHead ) - could even read the newspaper if a really organised "commuter".
And sometimes you can ski back down to one of the mid-stations which can be an "interesting" run.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it included in the ski pass or extra? The Internet is telling me it takes 25 minutes - possibly the same time as the drive...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Brides Gondola is included in the 3v lift pass.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I see that the Dou Du Praz drag and DDP/Soleil pistes are open for the first time today. If they stay open, it means that we're ski-in / ski-out Very Happy

In fact, there's the most green I've seen so far on the open/closed list

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=la-plagne&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ukredsox, glad they've got the Dou Du Praz drag open now, the restaurant at the top there is a favourite afternoon stop of mine for a crepe and a beer! Great in the sunshine.

Good to see that the Verdons is open as well now too.

All starting to look good with more snow forecast.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ukredsox, thank you for that excellent site.
Not met it before.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never actually checked its accuracy. When I'm in LP, I tend to just look at the lights of the big map-boards to see what's open/closed.

Its also good to see the Aollets drag open for the first time. When we stay at the top of PV, that's my main short cut for getting over towards Bellecote rather than having to deal with any potential bottleneck on the Bergerie lift.

I've just zoomed in on the 2015/16 Piste Map for the first time http://www.la-plagne.com/images/ski/plandespistes.pdf

I like the way that the Ecartee Blue under the Bergerie chair just disappears as it reaches PV/PS.

Does this mistake carry over to the printed version and are there any other map errors this year ?

While I'm asking questions.......how are people getting on with the Yuge App ?

Does it need data roaming to be active?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ukredsox, Yuge app is OK and connects to wifi to update on the lifts that have wifi. BUT if you run ski tracks at the same time the two apps come back with very different results. At the moment I think Ski tracks is superior. Yuge was only launched on Dec 14th and does seem to be being developed on the hoof, but does seem to have lots of potential.
The lift state webpage in English here http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=la-plagne&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=en is only updated twice or 3 times a day and as mentioned above the boards at the lifts are much more reliable.

Last nights snowfall failed to materialise and only a few centimetres fell. Now waiting for todays forecast for snow to commence at 13:00 for the rest of the day and night, - we shall see.

The tour of the Montalbert snowmaking factory and the 'engine room' of the new lift is now open to the public but must be booked at the Montalbert tourist office by Wednesday each week for the Thursday 14:00 tour which commences at the top of the Gondola near the Adrets lift. The tour is free but exclusively in French but may be in English or have handouts in English in the coming weeks. Really good tour particularly if you have an interest in engineering.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 6-01-16 12:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chopkins13 wrote:
@ukredsox, glad they've got the Dou Du Praz drag open now, the restaurant at the top there is a favourite afternoon stop of mine for a crepe and a beer! Great in the sunshine.

The last time I stayed in PS was before the DDP drag was moved to its current location. To ski-in, it meant having to drop down from the Bergerie chair, hang a sharp right (at speed) to ski up hill onto the walking/touring track, pole across to above where they used to do the Piste-Basher rides, wade through a short bit of off piste and then drop down round the back of PS to the chalet.

Hopefully the drag will have a convenient point at which to jump off left as it reaches level with the top of PS

It'll also mean that we can get over to Bellecote without facing the Bergerie bottleneck

I expect that the relocated drag has increased custom at the DDP Restaurant/Bar.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If this happens....wow

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ukredsox, Big IF, the local forecast isn't quite the same http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210

Its not snowing right now and the temperature in Montalbert is +2c
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ukredsox, I understand that when the old Melezes lift (that ended by the much missed Colosses drag) was taken out, the Dou du Praz restaurant was promised a new lift to supply them.
Presumably this was what moving the Leitchoums acheived.

I would have left the Colosses drag and retained Leitchoumes where it was.
It does seem to me that the lift re-organisatons going on in La Plange are more the result of long evenings with too much wine rather than careful rational planning.
I mean: they took out the Cogs lift! No one in their right mind would have done that.
And now they are (hopefully) going to put a lift back in more-or-less the same place.

Of course, i must admit the new Montalbert Gondola is a great improvement, but i would have extended it to above Aime2000.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I miss the Z, Colossus and the little drag alongside the Colossus lift. Which kind of scotches the myth that boarders hate drags

As for removing Le Coqs chair. Grr!

I believe that when a new lift is added that there has to be a like for like balance with pylons.

The new Colossus chair is great just wish they would have policy of filling each chair at peak time. Or a singles queue.
latest report
Dumping big style in Les Coches now. Has been for the last hour. If this goes all night and all day tomorrow then we are in for some. My kids want a rest day so the timing is great
snow report
KennyEverett: "dumping big style in Les Coches" (1450m) - excellento! snowHead

And yes, Whisky_priest: a singles queue would be an excellent idea on all those 6-seater+ lifts.
I recall they had a sort of singles set-up on one of the gondolas in Les Arcs - why hasn't it caught on for the whole resort?

P.S. a lot of nasty wind has been forecast - what's it like now?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 6-01-16 17:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
So those of us arriving this w/e have got it pretty much spot on ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@martinm, as long as you don't believe SnowForecast.com - they currently have a mega dump of 75cms forecast with 50km/h winds for Sunday into Monday - that would see quite a few pistes / lifts closing for a bit, with off-piste very dangerous - water down that forecast slightly and you could be looking at some epic few powder days! Leave some for us mind, we're a week behind you!!!
snow conditions
@martinm, Yep, and one of the quietest weeks as well snowHead

Snowing nicely at the moment as per the local forecast, no wind to speak off in Montalbert.
ski holidays
Whisky_priest wrote:
The new Colossus chair is great just wish they would have policy of filling each chair at peak time. Or a singles queue.

Always drives me mad. In the 3v the other week it happened all the time, especially as I was on my own. In some cases there'd be a queue and I'd line up alongside people, then the gate would open and I'd be the only one to move forward, so I'd end up on the lift by myself.
snow report
if I'm on my own I always stay to one side of the mass of people heading towards the lift, making sure to be the opposite side to any dedicated ski school lane. I then keep edging forward, normally overtaking plenty of people who are chatting away or holding back waiting for their friends.

I don't deliberately cut in front of people but my normal, British queuing politeness / etiquette does tend to lessen for ski trips

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 7-01-16 12:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ukredsox wrote:
if I'm on my own I always stay to one side of the mass of people heading towards the lift, making sure to be the opposite side to any dedicated ski school lane. I then keep ending forward, normally overtaking plenty of people who are chatting away or holding back waiting for their friends.

I don't deliberately cut in front of people but my normal, British queuing politeness / etiquette does tend to lessen for ski trips

Exactly what I try to do, but I'd still end up sat on my own. I probably smell bad or something.
ski holidays
Freezing level is looking pretty high later in the week. Sad
latest report
Whisky_priest wrote:

You do realise that La Plagne is in France don't you Laughing

We have a long standing suspicion that the lifties are tasked with keeping a queue at the most important linking chairs and do so by ensuring they go up half empty and/or stop every couple of minutes......
ski holidays
@Roger C, The new Monty Gondola is proving difficult for them, it doesn't even breakdown snowHead
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, agreed

Last week I only managed to wait there once and that was for two mins max! This was for a download with the kids - any idea why the only let customers on every other bubble on way down?
snow conditions
@Roger C, Lucky you , I've not managed that yet Laughing Didn't realise you were here last week!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
@Roger C Didn't realise you were here last week!

4th or 5th new year week in a row I think. Mind you this year wasn't the best week for skiing as you know. Kids enjoyed it though as we also managed an ice skating session in Bellecote, a swim down at Bourg and also a McFlurry!
snow report
@Roger C, Ha, we went down to Aime and Bourg on New Years Day, Maccy D's was about the only thing open, even Super U was shut.
latest report
@Jonpim, Still dumping and forecast is the same for the rest of the day. This week has been absolutely fantastic. Yesterday over at Les Arcs there were a few runs that were getting skied out so down to the ice underneath. This dump is very timely and will freshen up the few busy spots that are worn.

I think it's safe to say that the drought is well and truly over. Great skiing conditions. Enjoy everyone
ski holidays
Let's hope the rain forecasted for Friday and Saturday is an error in the calculation😒😒
snow report
Well this looks set in for the day, looking out the window theres a good foot of powder on piste so far...
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, how's the temperature doing? any sign of it turning to rain?
snow report
Same view on Jan 2nd 2016

snow conditions
@chopkins13, its -0.8c 0n the balcony at 1370 metres the rain if forecast for 13:00, we shall see

Confused
snow conditions
France meteo forecast for La Plagne 1250m January 7th 2016
snow report
Low cloud and a sort of icy drizzle now....after dumping around 2 foot of snow Confused
and many of the major lifts closing due to high winds, snow returns overnight.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 7-01-16 14:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@boredsurfin, 2 foot?? That's quite a bit more than was forecast! Temperatures obviously on the rise as forecasted now then - hope the warmth / rain is short lived...
snow report
Continuing my research into potential Reds to try this trip (to recap, I'm a intermediate who sticks to Blues and doesn't like cliff edges)

What's the Snowhead opinion of "Sources" ?

This video makes it look ok, apart maybe from a steep bit from 04:15 to 05:00

http://youtube.com/v/GeQqAAQ4Rk0

"Carina" looks like a possibility as well.

http://youtube.com/v/oBxPZcXH_bw

(this person has posted some of the best quality LP on-piste videos that I've seen)

I mentioned previously that I was considering "Inversens" but the two above benefit from taking me back towards one of the villages rather than ending in the middle of nowhere.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy