Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
stanton (or others in the area), if stab's source is proved right Sad then where would you head for a few days, from Zurich ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to page 80
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would always go to zermatt given the choice/chance.

I'm confident nothing will happen and it's just people trying to make themselves interesting by talking poo-poo.

And local mountain knowledge I acquired says the weather will change within 2 days, because the birds were flying around in circles (this is true, I didn't make it up, birds fly in circles, weather changes)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stab, just back from Zermatt 2 wks ago, fantastic place but fancy a change, besides it's a long 4 3/4 hr train journey, a bit too much for a weekend. Wengen would have to seriously closed for me to have to travel that far !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't get it, this page http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=73 says in the box on the left for tuesday the freezing level drops below 1200 but yet it says rain in the box on the right, and scroll down it says the temp is +6 and freezing between 2200 and 2600, huh?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
but I'm glad I don't live in Zinal Shocked http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=285
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stab, I'm puzzled by the same thing, but no-one seems able to answer my question about HOW CAN THIS BE? made up my mind now not to get stressed out about it. wink Who am I kidding Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should I pack waterproofs as well as ski stuff then to visit Wengen starting 24th Feb? At least we could go out walking then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely take walking boots - the winter paths are open and maps available. And ice skates if you have them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab wrote:
good news, if it doesn't snow in the next 10 days then the region closes, 10 days being how long the snow they have will last.
Don't know how true that is but it's from a fairly good source. It's too warm for the cannons even at night, which suprises me as everything freezes at night but what do I know.

edit: please don't panic or freak out, I'm sure it will be ok, may not even be true.

If true not very good news for the MSB Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do you need chains / snow tyres on rental car if driving to Lauterbrunnen ? Also snow tyres don't seem to be standard from Zurich as they are from Gva.

(legally that is, wouldn't think there's gonna be much cause for them at the mo).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suppose given all this conjecture I'd better do a forecast, I'm not sure if I should though, as you might not like it.

Weather will continue as is until Sunday when it will get a little colder and may snow similar conditions Monday for a maximum of arround 10cm of snow, unfortunately tuesday looks like its going to be warm and wet Sad

After this I'm really sorry to say it looks like it will only get worse, apart from a slightly colder day arround the 2nd of March where it might drop to 0 the weather looks like getting warmer with temps holding between 3 and 7 celcius from the beginning of March onwards

I really really hope I'm wrong but my gut feeling on this is that I'm not going to be, in fact it may be even worse than I've predicted Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
not very good news but have no control over nature so will make the most of the conditions Sad Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it's not all doom and gloom, this is still alive, http://i17.tinypic.com/48zpkpl.jpg http://i9.tinypic.com/2dri0yu.jpg
Shame it's too small and just throws you into the air, need more snow Sad

Quote:

After this I'm really sorry to say it looks like it will only get worse, apart from a slightly colder day arround the 2nd of March where it might drop to 0 the weather looks like getting warmer with temps holding between 3 and 7 celcius from the beginning of March onwards

I saw something like that too but didn't want to say anything, if I ignore it then maybe it will go away.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith wrote:
Do you need chains / snow tyres on rental car if driving to Lauterbrunnen ? Also snow tyres don't seem to be standard from Zurich as they are from Gva.

(legally that is, wouldn't think there's gonna be much cause for them at the mo).

absolutely no idea, my car has had summer tyres on it since I lived here and I once tried to fit chains and only got one on, the other came off straight away. My strategy is, if in doubt, dump the car and get on the train.
It's possible the chains is a requirement in winter but to be honest that's just what I've been led to believe.
snow report
I thought Switzerland was a safe place Had to kiss the sidewalk lastnight
There was a shoot out in Bern right in front of where i was waiting for tram last night Sad
Some guy left in the gutter. Pretty impesses only took the Polce about 30 secs to arrive.
Papers say he is serious.

http://www.espace.ch/artikel_322187.html
http://www.20min.ch/news/bern/story/30246218
ski holidays
stanton, glad everything is ok .

Rain forecasted for Tuesday....what excellent news................NOT Sad Sad

Well, we will be leaving tomorrow to head towards the region and lets hope on the way the weather changes for the better.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
I thought Switzerland was a safe place Had to kiss the sidewalk lastnight
There was a shoot out in Bern right in front of where i was waiting for tram last night Sad
Some guy left in the gutter. Pretty impesses only took the Polce about 30 secs to arrive.
Papers say he is serious.

http://www.espace.ch/artikel_322187.html
http://www.20min.ch/news/bern/story/30246218

At the risk of seeming crass, are you sure he didn't shoot himself after reading DGO's weather forecast??
snow conditions
telford_mike, I doubt it, though you never know Shocked
snow conditions
this is looking considerably better now http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=73
it still shows rain but a lot more snow, woo hoo.
latest report
stab, ...and check out www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;page=4;type=winter;country=Switzerland;resort=Wengen;sess=
Things might, just might, be ok for next week (3 days, and counting) snowHead
snow conditions
Brian T, we are getting the morning boat to France and driving there via a night stop in france !! Hopefully we will arrive when its snowing on Saturday .
ski holidays
that's what I like to see, a weather report with snow in it, hell you could even have photoshopped that and I wouldn't care Smile Hope my new goggle lense turns up before the weekend,
edit: not that it's much use, I'm injured again, pulled a thigh muscle I guess jumping the fence that separates the race track and wixi.
Strangely tonight the piste didn't freeze back up, I was last on it at 6pm and it was still slush, normally by then it's ice pack.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 22-02-07 22:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stab, the webcam at Mannlichen is showing -2 at the mo so it must be now
snow report
cool, literally Laughing
I found out today that the reason the cannons don't go back on is that there has to be a continous period of cold enough temps, hot in the day and cold at night ruins the average temp, apparantley. I also found out that after Feb 1st they aren't allowed to turn them on because of the ground level blah blah blah, this year they have been given permission (whenever it decides to get cold) to use them when they like.

And considering the slalom track glows in the dark with all the chemicals they pumped into it it's still melting. Shocked
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, Have a fabulosa time. From tuesday if you see a prat with an old fashioned bobble hat - yep, it's me. Little Angel
stab, was it jumping the fence or landing on it that did the damage?
snow report
Brian T, well, if you are in Murren and see a group of people with huskies you know its us wink We will be going to the Jungfraujoch for a day trip as some of our friends are new to the region and will do the tourist bit,so if you see us in Wengen including any other snowHead do say hello !!
snow report
Quote:
was it jumping the fence or landing on it that did the damage?

just getting the height needed, had to really flex the board to pop the ollie high enough and felt my right thigh go (after the 5th or 6th time Smile ) happens quite a lot, sign of getting old I guess.

you guys shouldn't be identifying yourselves, you might get some random stoned snowboarder abusing you Very Happy I get so angry when it's busy on the piste, like today, I'll never identify myself Laughing When it's quiet I'm a nice guy, honest.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very warm (for this time of year) in Bern lastnight & this morning its like Spring! Fasching started lastnight in Bern (In Switzerland they do carnival after Ash Wednesday) Three days of Drinking so Im going skiing Very Happy

http://www.espace.ch/artikel_322640.html

Something here in todays papers about new chair lift & reservoir for snowmaking .Sorry no time fro translation.

http://www.espace.ch/artikel_322784.html

Weather outlook, next few days.

Quite warm Rain, Freezing level 1800-2000M

http://www.20min.ch/news/wetter/schweiz/bern.tmpl
ski holidays
/rant on

Surely this place has to be the most inefficient badly run village in the world, I'll even throw in the whole of iraq and afghanistan into the equation.
Seriously, just basic functions like the post office seem to be manned (with the exception of one or 2) by illiterate inbred farmers.
Since living here they have lost one sony mobile phone, lost a record delivery for 70 pounds, made me pay tax on xmas presents sent to me by my mother, sent me the post from anyone who has the same 1st name as me, screwed up money transfers to the uk.
Was told the tax on post was because it was for over the value of 100 francs, despite it not being over the value of 100 francs and being clearly labelled "gift". Answer I received was could the sender wrap it like a present to avoid this in the future. Yeah great. Curiously though, if I get my overseas stuff sent to my girlfriend's name, who has some umlauts in her name, then no tax is payable, funny that.
Just wasted half hour walking to the post office and back to get my new goggle lense and was told, "Ja, nach mittag gall" Nach mittag Evil or Very Mad if the postman was capable of writing his own name then I would have understood what time he wrote.

/rant off, sorry about that.

Birds are going in circles again over the village so my bushman skills say the weather is going to change soon.
snow report
Haha. Getting a job as postie in Wengen must be a pretty good gig. After all it's possibly the only job in the village that comes with a company car. And what a car! Beautiful yellow Fiat Panda Very Happy
ski holidays
sometimes this place just drives me mad, it's going to be a tough summer that much I know, no inbetween break for me this year, next break is december. Going to take the whole month. I want to go to whistler, missus wants carribean/hawaii/anywhere without snow. I need to work on her a bit.
snow conditions
stab, So do you work in Wengen in the Summer?
snow report
stab wrote:

Ronald, why didn't you go from the top of tschuggen? halfway up is for fairys* NehNeh

Cus I lack the skills to judge snowpacks, and i'm not reckless enough to ignore that fact Wink

Mannlichen piste /superb/ this week.
Lucky for my class 2's Wink

Bad news is we're about to loose figeler... next week is going to be mighty interesting for us teachers.
latest report
yeah, stay here year round give or take a couple of weeks.
latest report
Ronald wrote:
Mannlichen piste /superb/ this week.
Lucky for my class 2's Wink

Bad news is we're about to loose figeler... next week is going to be mighty interesting for us teachers.

Yeah mannlichen is pretty good at the moment.

Saw a ski teacher standing by the falken way to the figeller earlier stopping people going up the rather nice blue carpet. Is figeller screwed then? I haven't seen it for days.

The forecasts are improving on the internet but my farmer mate (who I might stop speaking to) says rain from 2000m.
snow report
stab, Figeler is about to die....

The teacher was sending people down to bahnhof because the nice fellow owning the house on top of figeler is rather complaining about people crossing over his property to climb to the figeler top. (He basically calls for every red jacket to cross there, and he probably would call after eerybody else if he knew how to reach the tourists)...
snow conditions
what they should do is change the sign there. The sign says in english and german to use the street to the mannlichenbahn but the arrow points straight up to the figeller. I know the majority of people here at the moment are more stupid than I can believe* so how can they cope with signs like that Laughing

*don't believe me? This last week I've seen someone ski to the 2nd steps on the sundeck behind tipi, I've seen the grindelwald train pull out of scheidegg with a girl trapped in the door, arm was in the train, body was outside. Most people go to the tipi bar and ask for food, or to the grill and ask for drinks. I could go on and on Laughing
snow conditions
My first post!

Just got back from Wengen.

Weird to look up at the Mannlichen and see only a few patches of snow, along with the increasingly threadbare Figgeler.

But, as has been said earlier, the Mannlichen run itself is still in pretty good nick. As are the connecting runs going to Kleine Scheidegg. Wixi was fine as was the red from the top of the Lauberhorn to Kl. Schiedegg.

Continuing with the positive, over in Murren the run down from Birg to the bottom of the fast Riggli chair was also fine and not too crowded.

But that's about it! The queues for the Mannlichen, Lager and Arven lifts were about 20 mins by mid morning and the run down from Scheidegg to the village was pretty dispirating - especially when we tried the blue bit of Bumps; the piste kind of disappeared.

Still, we had a great time. Sunshine and some reasonable skiing. And the walks round Wengen are pretty good - even the flowers are coming out!
snow conditions
pjd, Welcome to snowheads snowHead
Thanks for the report. We arrive on in Wengen on Monday so we are hoping the snow forecast for Sunday/Monday actually happens. Where did you stay?? Was it tour first visit there or are you a habitual Wengenite snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy