Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Alastair Pink, pictures please !!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the tips on those tree runs . We are mostly intermediates and if weather or visibility is an issue then our pride is not too big to admit that a blue or easy red might be just the ticket. The grooming data is great to know as well. Some, like my husband, will be more adventurous and eventually give the Lauberhorn and others a try.

Yes it will be great to hae a bus pick us up right at the hotel vs schlepping ot the train station and hoping we did not just miss one of the every 30 minute departures. We will probably return at varied times in the afternoons and use the train to get back.

Chris thanks for the extra METEO and more links. I do speak German so I was able to click through on their forecast too. I've been in the jungfrau.ch site a lot but not the panorama site .

Thanks for any additional info - Maryellen
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
medskis, a great run to start off with when you get there would be the easy Blue (no22) from Kleine Scheidegg down to Brandegg, it's mainly through the trees and is generally pretty quiet, get your Bus to drop you off at Grund station rather than Grindelwald, if the weather is nice there's also gondola from Grund up to the Mannlichen one of the longest in the world as it happens, the Lauberhorn runs are (except for the race track) fairly easy reds but can get busy, in nice weather its a good idea to go up the Mannlichen in the morning and do a few runs down to the Mannlichen chair lift until the sun is fully out across the slope, then work your way across to Kleine Scheidegg, via Lager, Gummi and Arven chair lifts (you can go the other way but it involves using at leas 1 T bar and usually 2) When you get to Kleine Scheidegg you have several choices, for the more adventurous go up on the train to Eigergletscher and ski down the Grindelwald side to the Arven chair lift or beyond or take one of the Black runs (Oh God or Black Rock) towards the Wixi Chairlift up the Lauberhorn, Alternatively from Scheidegg ski straight down to the Wixi it's easier than getting the Lauberhorn chairlift which involves a short climb up from the station to the chairlift, from the top of the Lauberhorn you have more choices, back to Kleine Schiedegg, down to the Wixi or down to Wengeneralp and on to Wengen, with the option of a trip or two on the short tbar at the bumps lift or going down to the Chairlift at Innerwengen which I'd always suggest in preference to following the very slow blue which often requires a bit of walking.

The more adventurous will find good skiing at Murren and if there's enough snow it is possible to ski from Piz Gloria down to Lauterbrunnen some 13.5km away

Its been a little whilst since I skied over at First on the other side of Grindelwald so maybe someone else can suggest some runs there

Hope you have a great time and get some good weather to go with the coming snow

PS the Lauberhorn course is not that difficult save for 2 or maybe 3 points, the Hundschopf near the top, just take gently and it's fine, be aware that some people chicken and side slip down it so always enter slowly unless you absolutely know it to be safe, The Hannegschuss is long steep and fast, even I have managed almost 100kph down there without effort, racers manage up to 160kph, and Finally the Zielschuss teh last drop to the finish, a lot of people stop at the top of it, get nervous and try to go down slowly, bad idea, it is usually hard and icy on the slope itself, it gets hardly any sun, the best way to take it is straight down, there's a huge run out at the bottom giving you plenty of space to stop, trying to go down slowly either by traversing the slope or sideslip almost always causes falls, I have lost count of the number of times I have sat in the Innerwengen chair watching people fall taking it slowly, you hardly ever see them fall if they take it straight.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D.G. WONDERFUL information - thank you SO much for taking the time to lay it all out for me / us.

I just went back into the site : http://www.panoramicearth.com/tag/ski+run to cut / paste lots of details about certain Pistes (names and numbers and colors - wow !) for the Mannlichen, Kleine Sheidegg , Wengen, Murren areas but they don't have First / Oberjoch. That area seems the least threatening at first blush. It was very tedious going into each piste or chair or peak or even restaurant link to see what info I could glean from it but it is pretty fabulous ....wearing me out though!!

An example from the panorama site which includes a 360 degree photo panarama from MANY points then lists some of the ski possibilities : KLEINE SCHEIDEGG… Red run 21 (Tschuggen) descends From Kl Sch to Arven Garde Bar restaurant and bottom of Arven Chair Lift. The top of the run is quite steep while the bottom levels out into a schuss. This run continues all the way down the mountain to Grindelwund Grund some 1000m below on the valley floor. Nearby blue run 22 (Mettlen) follows a gentler route also past Arven Garde Bar to Grindel Grund.

Since I am the one who gets to tell the bus where to go each day, I will absolutely use your recommendation to go to GRUND and then start (from up high eventually) with Blue 22 to get our feet wet - or white as will be the case! Thanks again. Maryellen
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
medskis, Hi, welcome to snowheads. Lots of good advice on this site about Wengen. http://www.bergfex.com/jungfrau-maennlichen-wengen/ is worth trying as well. It's especially useful if you haven't been before. click on the right side panel, get rid of the menus bit, then click on any of the runs and a video of that appears in the laft hand panel. Enjoy!
have any of the other snowheads found this useful? snowHead
Later addition: Should have written "click on any of the ski icons on the runs and a video....." You have to have the zoom fairly high for all the ski icons to become visible.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Brian - I will check that bergfex.com site for sure.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
medskis, Hi and welcome to Snowheads. The First ski area has some great skiing with reliable snow up top, but can suffer from lengthy queues for the cable car from Grindlewald, the only way up the mountain. As you are avoiding the peak season - UK and European school holidays (4-26 Feb) this shouldn't be too much of a problem. They have changed the way that they organise the cable cars and have extra cars on the lower section in the mornings to cope with the rush (9:00-10:30). First also has a few more snowboarders than the other Jungfrau ski areas, there's the snowpark and halfpipe up at the top. I make no judgements on this point, but you did say 30 skiers not boarders wink. It's always worth spending a day there (it's included in your Jungfrau skipass) but it can get a bit limited after the complexities of the Maennlichen/Kleine Scheidegg pistes-

Try the Schilt - Blue10 to Hohwald and then down the Stepfi Red23 all the way back in to Grindlewald as a good long run (5km)(busy late afternoon, but empty any other time). There is a short bus ride (skipass covers this) from the end of the run at the Kirche back to the Cablecar or the station(s), you can walk, but probably only to the cablecar. I should say that the last section from the Hotel Wetterhorn to the other Red -22 isn't always open, but the bus goes all the way to the Wetterhorn, and Stepfi is almost always quieter then the main red
There are 2 draglifts left, Bargelegg & Hohwald, everyone hates them so they rarely get very busy. The Schilt-Hohwald route avoids them.

We often get up to the top early (8:30 at the cable car in peak season!) whiz around at the top until it gets busy (the Red1 from Oberjoch is a great carving piste, especially early in the morning when it's quiet) then come down Stepfi to grab some lunch in Grindlewald as it's cheaper and quieter than up on the mountain. Then either catch the now quiet cablecar back up for another round, or hop across to Grund to ski at KS or Maennlichen, often coming back into Grund if the lower runs are open. The runs into Grindlewald can get slushy (either from First or KS/Maenn), but with all the recent snow and cold temps you should be fine. I shouldn't really say this but the Cablecar is NEVER busy coming down, so we occasionally get the last cars down in the afternoon after the pistes have closed - everyone else seems to head for the 2 red runs down mid afternoon, which leaves the top really quiet.wink

The mountain restaurants at First & Schreckfeld are ok, but as usual quite pricy, and can get busy at lunch times. We normally stop in one of the hotels or cafes in the main street on the walk back from the Kirche to the cablecar.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Brookes wrote:
Alastair Pink, pictures please !!

I went over to Murren with the DHO today, so just for you Chris I took some more snaps wink

Schilthorn:

Some DHO members (not me) were taking part in a slalom race in Murren organised by the Kandahar ski club - I took a photo as some parapenters were taking off above the slalom area:

As part of the build-up to the Inferno race scheduled for Saturday, they are holding a X-C race in Murren:

I skied back down to Lauterbrunnen - the track is in the best condition I've seen it as regards snow cover. The big uncertainty is whether the weather change forecast for the next few days will affect the staging of the Inferno.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink, thank you wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
medskis, the site you checked out before, http://www.panoramicearth.com/tag/ski+run is a bit out of date. Honegg was a drag lift until 2/3 years ago but is now a fast chairlift to the top of Honegg.
I am sure you will enjoy it all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brian - thanks for the HONEGG update ...i will change my notes which I am printing out Thursday pm. I will look like a librarian trying to go through all the materials I am bringing - great to know Honegg NOT a drag lift.

Sherlockis - I really needed more info on the FIRST and Grindelwald "Neighborhoods" - thank you for taking the time to get as detailed as you did. It will all get pasted into my area notes to go with us.

Any forecast updates from anyone in the area also appreciated although I will keep my eye on the various online sites.

Thank You
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gods how on earth did I miss that Honegg had been changed to a chair Embarassed Guess thats what happens when you can't afford to ski for a couple of years Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To make things even worse I have actually been on the Honegg Chairlift Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Oh dear what can I say, I blame lack of skiing turning my brain to mush Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DG
Don't worry about it -------- it comes with age and grey hair, but remember you can still ski and enjoy it !!!

3 x weeks and counting until mine are on my feet!

Holly ( Stuck in the B----- office again!!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For areas above 1000 meters: From Thursday night intense snowfall is expected frequently. Accordingly, precipitation amounts of 40 to 60 cm in 36 hours are expected, locally even more. Friday the snow line drops from 1000 meters to 500 meters. Saturday morning and forenoon the snow line rises to 1000 to 1300 meters. snowdrift is expected. Saturday forenoon and noon snowfall decreases slowly
http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/europe/switzerland/weather-muerren/details/N-3515820/

would say its arrived

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 20-01-12 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, told you back on Monday that there was more snow coming and how much Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:
Chris Brookes wrote:
would say its arrived

and up at KS Very Happy
snow report
and now it is snowing in Wengen (FL 1200 going down to 1050m.....snow.forecast state) -
snow conditions
Quote:
"Chris Brookes"and now it is snowing in Wengen (FL 1200 going down to 1050m.....snow.forecast state) -

Chris - why a picture from last friday? You'll get Telford_Mike worried that they have put that 'damn tent' back up! Shocked
snow conditions
sherlockis, look at the date and time on the top right...its live
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:
sherlockis, look at the date and time on the top right...its live

Ah, my PC still had the cached picture from your post last Friday - which means that that pic is now out of step with it's caption - 'looks rather busy'. Not now it isn't Confused
ski holidays
Chris - thanks for the update ....looks like our timing is perfect. We will be on our way to the Philadelphia airport in six hours,
in Zurich / Interlaken on Saturday, and be on the slopes on Sunday. Wunderbar! Maryellen
ski holidays
medskis, You couldn't have timed it better! As others have already said, it was snowing heavily today, and windy at the top, but I was still able to get in some very enjoyable skiing with the DHO today Smile
We caught the train up to Kleine Scheidegg and as the visibility was poor we skied the Blue 22 run down to Brandegg ( it's mainly below the tree line)- we seemed to have been virtually the first people on it and the on piste was virtually off piste in terms of fresh snow cover! It was so good we caught the train back up to KS and did the run again, this time stopping for coffes/hot chocolates at the Brandegg Restaurant. Then train back up to KS and on down to Mary's Cafe for lunch.

I go home tomorrow Sad , but it's due to carry on snowing tomorrow, and then I believe the weather improves (just in time for you and your group) wink

Enjoy!!
latest report
medskis, Enjoy the most beautiful ski region in the world and do try and get to Murren and the Piz Gloria - James Bond revolving restaurant.
latest report
This morning I've had one of the most depressing starts to the day any skier can have - I'm leaving Wengen today and as I walked round the side of the hotel to the seperate ski room to collect my ski gear I had to trek through about 6" of new snow on the ground! Sad for me, but Very Happy for any skiers in town next week!
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
This morning I've had one of the most depressing starts to the day any skier can have - I'm leaving Wengen today and as I walked round the side of the hotel to the seperate ski room to collect my ski gear I had to trek through about 6" of new snow on the ground! Sad for me, but Very Happy for any skiers in town next week!

totally understand how you must feel
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, have a bit of Sympathy for me stuck in the UK with no prospects of getting out in what looks like a great season for snow.

Oh and to all of you who said it looked like it was going to be a bad season with no snow back in November and December...... I told you to wait and see Laughing

That said most of the lifts are shut in the area, though surprisingly Mannlichen, Cablecar, Gondola and Chair lifts are all shown as open
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Alastair Pink, have a bit of Sympathy for me stuck in the UK with no prospects of getting out in what looks like a great season for snow.

Oh and to all of you who said it looked like it was going to be a bad season with no snow back in November and December...... I told you to wait and see Laughing

That said most of the lifts are shut in the area, though surprisingly Mannlichen, Cablecar, Gondola and Chair lifts are all shown as open

Originally the Hotel Falken had a notice down by reception this morning saying that Mannlichen and Kleine Scheidegg were closed, but advising that there was skiing over at Murren at Winteregg and from Allmendhubel funicular. Later the advice was that Mannlichen cablecar was opening at 9:30, and the gondola back up from Grund would be operating. I gather that the train from Grund is only going up to Brandegg at the moment, and when I walked down to Rocks Bar about 30 mins ago (where I am at the moment) the train tracks above Wengen station were still covered in snow due to no trains running beyond Wengen:

Wengen centre (note snow cover on Tourist Office Roof):

Because of the conditions I heard that the Inferno Race which is being held today will start at the top of Allmendhubel (sadly cutting out the bits down from the Schilthorn including the Kannonenrohr), but at least with the snow they are able to carry on down to Lauterbrunnen to finish there. Madeye-Smiley

Oh and David you do have my sympathy for not being able to get out to Wengen this year, hopefully you'll be able to get out next year!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wengen.com has tweeted 25cm (10inches) new snow in village.
D G Orf: David you were right to say in December wait and see- well I waited and I have seen! I think you should take a new user name - perhaps GSP ofWengen- great snow prophet of Wengen Laughing
I join with Alistair in sympathising with you. Hopefully we might see you next year!
snow report
The Swiss don't take long to clear the snow from the streets! Toofy Grin :

snow report
Alastair Pink, Have a good journey home, thanks for posting the pics this week. You have a mention in Sheridan's blog this week!
snow report
Alastair Pink, thanks for posting pic this week too
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
The Swiss don't take long to clear the snow from the streets! Toofy Grin :

shame they have to clear it...its meant to be a ski resort not a city
ski holidays
The Ice Sculptures in Grindlewald are now on show from the 2012 Snow Festival
The winners were the South Korean team, but Team GB did get second on the Peoples vote

http://www.grindelwald.travel/en.cfm/event/offer-EventsGT-EventsWiGT-79026.html
http://www.jungfrauregion-events.ch/cms/upload/bildergalerie/snowfestival/tagesbilder/2012/sa/suedkorea.jpg
http://www.jungfrauregion-events.ch/cms/upload/bildergalerie/snowfestival/tagesbilder/2012/sa/gb.jpg
snow conditions
New Webcam - overlooking Grund.
http://flych.ch/webcam/grindelwald.jpg
And from the Hotel Belvedere, Grindelwald - looking back the other way Very Happy
http://www.belvedere-grindelwald.ch/en/webcam-weather/
ski holidays
sherlockis, Good spot mate!
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
sherlockis, Good spot mate!

Slow day at work today wink
ski holidays
sherlockis, nice one !
ski holidays
Murren : Switzerlands best kept secret
http://www.skinet.com/ski/galleries/switzerland%E2%80%99s-best-kept-secret
ski holidays
Looks like more snow and cold temps are on their way to the area, local forecasts suggest possible Thunderstorms tomorrow so be careful on the slopes It's likely to be a very cold weekend in the area with further light snowfall potentially almost every day though Friday, Sunday and Tuesday next week look most likely with maybe 10 to 15cm of snow each day, Sunday night looks likely to give the best snowfall and the cold temps mean it should be lovely light powder on Monday so make the most of the first runs of the day
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy