Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
Samerberg Sue, lol!!!! Snow is snow wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1 meter of snow , in the valley, as promised wink
(under the snow cannon Smile )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bormio opened today with 20k of runs on mostley man made snow. Under a fantastic blue sky.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went for a walk up the Roc de Chere today (800m ish forest above Lake Annecy), and it was boiling hot. Coats off considering removing jumpers hot.

On the plus side, the weather was nice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forecasts for next weekend looking a bit more hopeful
On a bit more positive point we skied in Sela Ronda a few January's ago
The low pistes were all man made snow but it was still great skiing
Temperatures were low though sunny and cloudless
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
good morning all you weekday forum surfers of this thread.....still no snow I see Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hhm -had a bad OMG there's no snow dream last night.

Too much time of this site I fear...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is Montgenevre open then? first week there is normally 14th Dec ish
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

On a bit more positive point we skied in Sela Ronda a few January's ago
The low pistes were all man made snow but it was still great skiing

You can see the canon have been busy on the north facing bits of Arabba and that's fairly low down

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want to really feel depressed check out the Live Webcams sticky thread in the snow reports area Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks - that's really cheered me up no end Crying or Very sad My fault - shouldn't have looked I suppose ..... Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Think you might see that change a wee bit as the week progresses! But it is still the best looking picture I've seen in a month - we've seen neither hide nor hair of blue on the film for weeks now!
I'm giving up watching the link - it just keeps changing all the time..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Austria

Some precipitation later this week into the weekend but the bad news is the temperature is rising with a strong southerly föhn wind. So very likely it will be rain.

Not snowmaking conditions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hope you are wrong Stanton Sad This was Altenmarkt yesterday, -5 the canons were blasting it out. Why would they be making snow if a Föhn is approaching Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kooky, c'mon we know he only reads the newspapers to get his info.

The Föhn has broken, even in my neck of the woods where it has been blowing for nearly 5 weeks! They are blowing snow on Sudelfeld, Lengries and Schliersee as well right now! It was cold this morning even reaching Munich at 10.00am, the air temperature was still around 4 or 5°C and that was in the sun! wink
latest report
kooky, I hope I am wrong. Due to the current temperature inversion it is only possible to make snow in the valleys but not higher up.

See my other post today. Ski Openings are delayed.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1902225&highlight=openings+danger#1902225
snow report
How DARE he use sources of information to get his information!
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
kooky, I hope I am wrong. Due to the current temperature inversion it is only possible to make snow in the valleys but not higher up.

what does that mean?
snow report
smithski, dunno......shall we askpaulio, wink
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
How DARE he use sources of information to get his information!
I also thought a bizarre comment Very Happy

I have very reliable local sources in The Tirol,Voralberg in Austria & Bernese Oberland in Switzerland to back it up.

She will also probably glad to know that many Dutch have already cancelled their Xmas & New Year Ski breaks & either staying at home or switching to a sunny spot instead.
latest report
Quote:

what does that mean?

It means that as it takes cold temperatures to be able to make snow, it's not always possible. Sometimes, the meteorological conditions means it's colder in the valleys than up in the mountains (briefly, cold air rolls downhill - it's not just in the alps - it's why the plum trees in the Vale of Evesham are all on the sloping valley sides, not down the bottom where frost pockets would be more likely to kill the blossom).

these conditions are very common in the mountains in winter - not in the least unusual or odd. But it's good that they can make snow on the lower slopes, at least, and will make things pretty.
snow conditions
Quote:

what does that mean?

It means he is an annoying git who only ever posts on here with bad news or some form of Brit bashing, with a (unhealthy) dose of missing children thrown in Twisted Evil
snow report
stanton, exceedingly glad if it also includes you Toofy Grin
snow report
I am optimistic about snow prospects, and have harvested some links from these posts here to write this post there (and added one or two others)...
http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/201111-will-it-be-a-white-christmas/
ski holidays
Ischgl will be opening on 25 Nov with 23 lifts and 71km runs - quite an achievment considering, some pics here:
http://www.facebook.com/paznaun.ischgl#!/media/set/?set=a.10150491403980649.430785.143754255648&type=1
snow report
smithski wrote:
Ischgl will be opening on 25 Nov with 23 lifts and 71km runs - quite an achievment

Most resorts do not have Ischgl's resources with over 1000 snow cannons & predomintly North facing slopes.
ski holidays
stanton will you PLEASE stop posting second-hand information to this thread!
snow report
Forecast yesterday said snow sunday and then a few times till the 2nd dec, but then temps going back up again, but today its back to fog/sun/cloud/fog as its been for the past 3 weeks..thats for north eastern switzerland and vorarlberg/breganzerwald. Cold nights though, so cannons should be able to take some slack..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My mother in law has been talking to the Vercors peasants, they say no real snow until mid February. I'll bear that in mind when we are under 2 meters of snow on the 2nd of December.
ski holidays
Quote:

glad to know that many Dutch have already cancelled their Xmas & New Year Ski breaks & either staying at home or switching to a sunny spot instead.

Yay, really empty pistes to look forward to!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Quote:

glad to know that many Dutch have already cancelled their Xmas & New Year Ski breaks & either staying at home or switching to a sunny spot instead.

Yay, really empty pistes to look forward to!

Somewhere, on a Dutch forum, a whole lot of sneeuwKoppe are saying the same thing about the Brits...
ski holidays
surely nobody optimistic enough to book a Christmas ski holiday well in advance would be pessimistic enough to cancel it a month beforehand?
snow conditions
pam w, in tough financial times, it might not seem attractive to let the holiday stand, when it appears that the weather pattern doesn't look favourable.
latest report
paulio wrote:
stanton will you PLEASE stop posting second-hand information to this thread!

??

I tend to agree with other post above

My prediction

We will get 1st snow mid (2nd week) december (just about enough to survive peak holiday time) ,it will be Very dry & extremely cold as npormal in January & then
massive very dangerous dumps in February.

For sure nothing major is happening before the end of this month.
snow report
Another great days sking on the upper slopes of bormio today. Blue sky and no temperature inversion hear Smile
latest report
Apparently it's not looking too good around Innsbruck, still hoping it'l pick up before I'm back out on the 30th.

With my optimistic hat on, I'm hoping this season might be the opposite of last year - slow start then cold and snowy jan/feb/march.

OTOH, with dumps in North America recently, it seems this may be another strong La Nina year. Good news is La Nina can't last forever, and a strong one typically swings into a strong El Nino - which I think (?) is good for snow in the Alps. I think each state generally lasts a couple of years, but it's a while since I looked into weather/climate stuff.
snow report
pam w wrote:
surely nobody optimistic enough to book a Christmas ski holiday well in advance would be pessimistic enough to cancel it a month beforehand?

Simple reality is that those of us (me included) who booked 9th Dec trip nearly a year in advance got a great deal as a result of this uncertainty. Some will cancel, perhaps, others will go because the trip was so cheap it means they can afford a second week later this season instead of one big trip in the middle of the season.

It will either snow or it won't. If it doesn't, then we've got a nice week of walking to a nice restaurant for lunch, then walking back down again. But it is always a gamble, even in high altitude resorts. With the current forecasts I'm fairly sure we'll get something, we just have no idea what.

I do worry a bit more for the long term health of resorts which took a battering last year from poor conditions in the middle of the season, and now are going to struggle to pick up early season business as well as losing the bookings that people would otherwise make in Nov and Dec. For some businesses, this might be what tips them over the edge.
ski holidays
I couldn't sleep. I've just read this entire thread from start to finish... reckon I can now. Little Angel
snow conditions
Schuss in Boots, Laughing Laughing Laughing sweet dreams of waist deep powder I hope! wink
snow report
Plan b is going to kick in. How does this advert read.

Apartment available for winter sun holiday in the alps. Spend Christmas in your bikini in that well known Heatspot val thorens. Swimming available in the local lakes and a whole village of bored restaurateurs waiting for you to arrive.

Will press the send button if those forecasters on the other thread keep being miserable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy