Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Forecast Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Bish, If the delightful t/shirt model will be there then I'm up for it. Have bought t shirts for our party and if its raining the kids can go swimming and the ladies can do a wet T shirt comp for us lads!........................Sorry about that, Mrs Frosty suits hers, but my mates wife looks fantastic in her slightly to small "skinny" rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Skanky's expertise

Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sadly just Jon and I, Bev has to count the squandered millions. Jon has ambitions of a Serious Blacks Week. We'll see. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Bish - we are Tignes starting Easter Sunday and will be skiing with the SC rep. Will you be skiing with the VDI SC rep? We all used to wear silly hats (rather than Tshirts) to be easily distinguishable but have now got "sensible" and wear helmets (this will be my first year wearing one since found it difficult to push the kids into doing so without doing so myself). Mrs L won't wear one because she says it ruins her hair. Smile She says that she does not ski fast enough to justify one wink but since she is the only one of us to have received a significant ski injury due to a collision (Two in fact!) we think that she should wear one. Embarassed

Hope that the weather and snow are good for both of us. snowHead

Since I only manage one week per year it all becomes rather important, and obsessive checking of any web-sites giving weather details or piste conditions occupies many of my spare moments at work. (It is nice to find out that I am not the only one).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not friends with SCGB since MO day, (Just as I was on the point of joining!) so will be treating them with lofty disdain. If you fancy a meet-up we will certainly be heading over Tignes way if conditions permit. I'm pretty sure Sache will be on Jon's list. He is 15 and fast and confident. Wears a Kawasaki Green jacket. You'll spot him! I am old knackered and slow but get down eventually. We are on an Ingham's "pot luck" so don't yet know where we will be in Val D. If you fancy a meet-up PM me and I'll give you my mobile number.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Chris. I'll keep an eye out for the green jacket!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm, snow-forecast had F/L down to 1500m by Sunday, it's now up to 2150 and never dropping below Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gregh, Skanky is always very cagey about his interpretation of weather graphs, and having watched them recently I can see why. yesterday they swapped around again. With a bit of luck they will swap back again to a colder forecast.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FAX chart for Sunday suggests a LP crossing central Europe. This should bring a lot of precipitation. I'll work on FL. wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 23-03-05 11:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skanky, is that Low, Love, Loganberries. If it is bad news the please just tell me a bare faced lie, as I cant take any more thoughts of soup, slush and rain. BTW feel sorry for those in some places this week, looks very unpleasant
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, sorry, not sure what happened there - I have one of those touch sensitive pads on my laptop for use as a mouse. If I accidentally brush it while typing it can do random things to the text. That's my only guess. Anyway, LP = Low Pressure which is an area of ascending air, and so normally brings precipitation of some sort.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[doom and gloom]

This week is a disaster... summed up by the national finals taking place. In Austria they talking about relocating their Downhill to the Pitztal glacier. The British postponed yesterday's SuperG in Méribel to today, then decided today it would have to be cancelled altogether. Instead, to keep racers occupied they're staging a fun dual parallel race. The French Championships - higher up at Alpe d'Huez (1860m) has postponed their Super G to tomorrow, but with more of the same forecast tomorrow that may have to be cancelled. ADH may be higher, but the slopes are mainly south-facing, so it's pretty slushy there.

The trouble is that they're talking about problems even for events as far ahead as March 31st - snow cover is very thin in Meribel already, and if it rains as forecast Thursday afternoon, all day Friday and Sunday (below 2200m) conditions will be horrible. Even what falls above 2200 is mostly the kind of wet snow that disappears with the first rays of sun.

[/doom and gloom]
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cheers PG NehNeh Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

Just need a drop in F/L of around 2000m for a week, then a huge dump of snow for another week, and it'll be fine for my trip mid April Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh no!!! :( All this does not bode well for first week in April in Meribel. Is anyone else heading out there that time? What's their view? :?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm in Courcheval 16th April, my view is there is sod all I can do about the weather, so I'm going to chill and see what happens!
ski holidays
do i Very Happy or Crying or Very sad this is the question?!!

gregh, as you say, not much can be done (we are off on 9th), we have a car so figure worst case if its tropical conditions we can sack it off and go to Nice and lay on the beach instead, or don the hiking boots and go for a walk....still doesnt seem the same tho!!

come on weather gods, be nice!!
snow report
Away tomorrow to Tignes - even that doesn't look marvelous - staying in Val Claret at 2300m and even that may be below the freeze level Sad Had no choice on the week so booked as high as possible but not sure that even the highest is going to be enough.
ski holidays
Today's Metcheck for Val D shows the FL a bit nearer to 2000m. They have also reduced the amount of precipitation expected. There is plenty of room up high at Tignes and Val, so be positive! I never like skiing down to the bottom at Val or Tignes anyway. I'm a last bubble down kind of guy! snowHead
snow report
Nick L, have a look at http://www.meteo.fr/meteonet/temps/activite/mont/SKIminiatmos_fr.htm?a=773012&b=Tignes%20(1650-3226m)&c=6.7826&d=45.575 that should cheer you up a bit. Make sure you have your goggles with you next week snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, how did you get that page, can i get one for La Plagne....does it tell a similar story for next week? snowHead Puzzled

Meteo.fr are usually the best forecast too arent they, and maybe a little pessimistic with temperatures? ::fingers crossed::
ski holidays
tomski01, here's the page for La Plagne
http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/prevStation.jsp?LIEUID=SKI0773009
Other snowHeads - use the map on the left of that page or the search box for other areas in France.
latest report
kuwait_ian, thanks, but thats not quite the same as the one Frosty the Snowman had, it only goes to Sunday, his went to next Tuesday!! wink

man, i need to do some work!!
snow report
Winds seem to have swung round to the NE this morning in the Valais, dropping temps by a few degress and clearing the skies a little.
snow conditions
tomski01, http://www.meteo.fr/meteonet/temps/activite/mont/SKIminiatmos_fr.htm?a=773012&b=La_Plagne%20(1650-3226m)&c=6.7826&d=45.575. I got this by viewing the weather liknk from the La Rosiere site, and then overtyping in La Plagne in the same format as La Rosiere was typed. Sounds Complex I know. Oh and yes I have 5.5 hrs to finish all my work, 2 hopes, none & Bob!
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, we may need to change the numbers on the end (6.7826 & 45.575 to the correct long & lat) - otherwise I can make it forecast snow in Chelmsford - http://www.meteo.fr/meteonet/temps/activite/mont/SKIminiatmos_fr.htm?a=773012&b=Chelmsford%20(16-32m)&c=6.7826&d=45.575. snowHead snowHead

To be honest not sure it makes too much difference because the book mark I had for the Les Arcs forecast shows the same figures with just the name and altitude parameters being different - guess its one forecast for the area?
ski holidays
Bungle, You must have less work to do then tomski01, and me. Any decent hills in chelmsford Very Happy . obviously PLEASE IGNORE MY OTHER POSTS ON THIS TOPIC Embarassed
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, I have the ultimate work hell right now - loads to do but don't want to do any of it and too many distractions given my trip to Les Arcs on 9th April!! - for which the forecasts seem to be bouncing about all over the place with every 6hr GFS update so I'm not trusting anything more than a day or two at the moment...

Hills in Chelmsford? nothing worth mentioning really although we used to have fun sledging down Springfield hill as a kid until somebody didn't manage to stop at the bottom and went into the river... Shocked

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 24-03-05 12:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Okay, here's my take on the 00z/06z runs.

The situation over central Euope is a bit of a mess with a generally high pressure and shallow lows within that in a bit of "mixing pot". I'm sure there's a better way to describe it. Anyway, it looks a bit of a nightmare to forecast so I'd expect some quite changes from the forecasting organisations in their output over the weekend.

Tonight, tomorrow & Saturday:
UKMO FAX shows a bit of a mess over Europe with some shallow low pressure systems with associated weak fronts and troughs hanging around in the northern Med and southern European areas. These should bring some precipitation to various parts. Also crossing the region is the cold front, currently crossing the UK, France & Spain. Looking at GFS charts, this brings a 1-2C drop at 850hpa (though the temp rises again later). Precipitation (especially convective) is never far away, and the FL is quite high.

Sunday:
ECMWF & GFS (00z) show a LP off the SW of the UK with steady Westerly flow to the south of it and an easterly flow to the north. GFS 06z has changed the size, shape and position of the LP a bit but it's still there. FAX show a weak cold front move through which again brings the temp down slightly - which agrees quite well with the two models.

Monday:
Some agreement between the models (and GFS has changed between 00 & 06). Both UKMO and ECMWF have a lP out to the west of the Atlantic and though GFS hints at it there's not much correlation. All three models have a region of LP over SE Europe though details differ. FAX also shows this as a multi-centre LP over Italy & the Balkans. Lots of (convective) precipitation around (though only organised around a weak, occluded front) and temps. staying warm. However, due to the position of the LP the eastern half of the Alps will have more N and NE winds so may be a bit cooler. The rest of the Alps will be where caught between these winds and a westerly.

Tuesday onwards:
Little agreement amongst the models, though there is a suggestion of a trend towards more N and NE airflow by the end of the week from both ECMWF & GFS (UKMO as well, but it only goes as far as Tues). If that happens then temps. could start coming down from Thursday night onwards....until the next HP system forms over central Europe.

My lowest confidence forecast so far.
Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bungle wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, we may need to change the numbers on the end (6.7826 & 45.575 to the correct long & lat) - otherwise I can make it forecast snow in Chelmsford - http://www.meteo.fr/meteonet/temps/activite/mont/SKIminiatmos_fr.htm?a=773012&b=Chelmsford%20(16-32m)&c=6.7826&d=45.575. snowHead snowHead

To be honest not sure it makes too much difference because the book mark I had for the Les Arcs forecast shows the same figures with just the name and altitude parameters being different - guess its one forecast for the area?

I think they do a forecast for a specific resort (e.g. Meribel) then give the same one for all resorts within a certain distance.
ski holidays
Bungle, ill be able to give you a wave across the valley from la Plagne, im going there on the 9th April, hope ill have my skis on as opposed to my diving suit!

skanky, hope ya more confident about the cooler periods than the warmer ones Very Happy !! thanks for the overview, but appreciate its looking quite messy for a few days anyway, so wont hold you to any of it Skullie !

Come on snow monster!!! snowHead

right, back to work.....!
latest report
tomski01, the 850 temps are looking similar to this weeks (though there is a general decrease as the week goes on). However the forecast FLs are appreciably lower. Just need to find out what other factors come into play - but I'm a bit too busy at work to do much looking into it.
snow report
skanky, thats ok!!! Very Happy wink

Your forecasts are great, maintaining my relative sanity during my descent into temporary madness....but dont expect you to bust a gut over it, after all forecasting the weather doesnt pay the mortgage! Shocked
snow conditions
http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

tomski01, thanks for the kind words.
latest report
snowHead Meteo France have revised the FL down to between 1700m and 1900m from Sunday.... although it's chucking it down under 2200m at the moment. Anything's an improvement!
ski holidays
PG, yeah, it's because of the cold front that moves through overnight Sat/Sun morning.
snow report
skanky, that image is awesome!!!

thunder and lightening on saturday evening, cor blimey Shocked
snow report
snowHead snowHead snowHead

On a positive nore: looking a little whiter high up anyways today after last night (15cm at 3250 according to skiinfo, although they forgot to update the 'new snow' bit), and sunny...wish i was out there Cool!

forecasts looking positive....Laughing

lower slopes not so good, but i guess its getting on in the season now.
Very Happy
snow report
tomski01, I share your optimism. OK it won't be champagne powder, but there will be some white stuff to ski on and the beer will be cold. That will do for me!

Hey ho. Off to Val d'isere in the morning... see you guys in a week. snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, indeed...mmmm, beer! Very Happy
snow conditions
skanky, at last I've worked out that your picture from Thursday is an ultrasound of a 12 week fetus - am i right?
Yes, it is awesome, as tomski01 comments, but what has it got to do with Snow Forecast?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy