Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau

Poster: A snowHead
Chris_n, could well have been - she was very impressed by the whole procedure - and rather like us she and her husband have skied Niederau since the late 60s - well I was '71 and '72 but he was '69 and '70 - and we still love going back. We enjoyed a catch up with Micky and Lesley Unger - they remember our kids, we remember theirs, and we recalled our daughter doing loo cleaning in their little tent Bo Bo's when she was also instructing for the season and trying to make ends meet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pamski, If you have been going that long I'm sure our paths will have crossed at some time in the last 20 years, I have been to Niederau for most of them with the exception of the last couple of years. My wife now loves the open runs at Aufach & I am keen to explore the off piste available, done all of the marked stuff like Stock, Sixtwissen & Katzenberg but would love to try the Gnuss & maybe the Rosskopf. Maybe I will hire a guide next year for a day if I can find someone to share the cost. Well remember when BoBo's was a tent.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris_n, glad to hear you got your off-piste in last Friday - I meant to ask, but was too busy enjoying myself!
Pamski, was your old friend called Anne? If so, I met another friend of hers, Jim, in the Hotel Austria - we were sharing a dinner table, and got all the details at dinner every night. Hope she's mending quickly.

Regards, Geoff
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,
Lovely to read everyone's memories of Niederau - and that this year has so far been good, too. it has been snowing on and off the last couple of days after a few days of very cold sunshine. Snow conditions are still great and another couple of weeks to go! Cheers, carolyn
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoff10, yes, I am sure it was the one and only Annie. I think she was with at least one Jim if not two when it happened - her husband was skiing elsewhere that day and got back to the news.

Can I thoroughly recommend the guys at Blackfelders (sp.?) for ski servicing. They did ours last Friday night - full service was 30 euros I think and they have been just brilliant since. Shame its such a long way from Les Gets to Niederau for the next time round.

Glad its all going well still Carolyn - we did see your house lit up at night and also saw your minibus a couple of times.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

Glad you saw the house, Pamski and the bus! We have snow at the moment and the forecast is for sun to return wednesday. Not as cold as it has been at just below freezing today.

Cheers, Carolyn
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all,

Flew back from Niederau on Saturday after a great week - both myself and Mrs Muffin felt we were skiing better at the end of the week! Arrival on the 6th was eventful as the copious snow wrecked the airport coach arrangements - we waited longer for a coach at Innsbruck than it took to fly over. Very grumpy toddler would't sleep until the coach moved, then was spark out for the journey. Got to the Sonnchein at around 10pm, very good soup and beer, then bed! Recovered on Sunday, then did Mon-Wed mornings with the Toni from the Reds. We got put the the right group first time which was a relief - spent the time going down the mountain working on carving - must put weight forward and on downhill ski! Wednesday was in Auffach as Toni said this would be the nicest day of the week, and he was right, lovely conditions. We did another morning on Friday which was good but one of our group dislocated his shoulder after crossing skis and falling during an excercise - this kind of shook us up, so Toni was easy on us from then on! All in all a great holiday, our daughter loved the snow and I'm sure she will love the skiing in a couple of years! Thanks for the updates Carolyn and regards to Toni.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well you seem to have had a great time, Muffin and will say hi to Toni for you! We have had so much snow since yesterday that it looks more like December than March! Minus 1.5 and still snowing.........
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was in Niederau last week for my first ever skiing holiday last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had been lucky with our arrival in Insbruck. We had to circle over the airport for 40 minutes waiting for a break in the snow, but at least we were not diverted and in the end we were no more than an hour late getting to Niederau. We felt very sorry for the people who had been diverted to Munich or Verona.
Problems getting boots to fit resulted in my getting relegated from Hansi's group to Andreas' after I was unable to quite stick it out until lunchtime on the Sunday. The exceedingly helpful man in the Blackfelder shop eventually managed to get me into a pair of antique rear-loader boots in time for me to start again on the Monday. I couldn't quite clip them up, but at least I could get the tips of the straps into the rachets. The only alternative would have been to wait 2 more days without doing any skiing until some adapted boots could be delivered to the shop. That would have been most disappointing.
Back on the snow again I managed to get through until Friday before I fell over. I didn't realise at the time how hard I had actually come down. Nothing broken thank goodness, but the bruises that turned up all up my right arm on Saturday were a huge surprise to me. It probably explains why I panicked and refused to ski down anything but the most gentle of slopes in the afternon without riding pillion behind Andreas clinging tightly to his jacket. The comments from the rest of the group were jocular and raucus to say the least.
One of the highlights of the week was being steered down the slalom race on Thursday by Mikhael and getting a bronze medal for this at the party in the evening. I simply must return next year and complete the race on my own properly. I have already started working on persuading some of my friends to accompany me. At the moment my bruises are putting off the ones who have never been skiing before, but I'll keep working on them. I have some lovely photos to use as amunition. My brother accompanied me last week and he had a whale of a time both snowboarding (which he has done since 2001) and skiing (which he did for the first time 3 weeks ago) around both Niederau and Aufach. He has moved straight onto red runs on skis. On Friday he managed to get to all of the peaks in both resorts and complete all of the red and black runs in the same day.
We spent most of our early evenings in Gunther's Bar. It was hard to drag ourselves away to go and get our evening meals. However, the food in Sonnschein was well worth bothering to get back to each evening. The wine was very nice too!
On one of the evenings we went on the sleigh ride up the valley and back (almost 3 hours for the round trip including a drink in a bar). It was a particularly good day to go as it was snowing heavily and I have some lovely photos of the horse-drawn sleighs going along the track. It looked just like a traditional Christmas scene.
I am determined to return to Niederau around about the same time next year. In the meantime I am researching into getting some ski boots of my own to get around the issues I had with finding hired ones to fit. I guess I also need to work on losing some weight as well as that would make it easier - both to get the boots on and to use the snowplough method for slowing down.
If anyone bumps into Andreas can they please thank him for me for looking after me so well and making the week so much fun. Much as I loved being in his group, I do hope to be able to improve enough to stick with the general beginners next time.
Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

Well glad to read that despite a somewhat exciting start to yiur skiing carreer, you are going to come again and carry on your journey! I will indeed speak to Andreas - he is one of a kind! we seem to have su shine and spring temperatures at the moment but the snow is still great so fingers crossed for it holding out til Easter. We have the Instrucors Slalom Race next saturday so we all should be out training instead of sitting in the sun!

Cheers Carolyn
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,

Good luck in the race. Shame we won't be able to see it televised here in Wales. Lucky you having sun. We have heavy drizzle and fog at the moment.
So far I have persuaded 1 friend that it would be a great idea for her to accompany me back to Niederau next year. She was impressed by my photos - and by tales of Anreas' antics - with his side-kick Martin. My forte this year was using the button lift. I took to that straight away and could manage with no hands and just balance after the first couple of goes. Next time I will try to get the same control over my balance on the skis when facing downhill!

Cheers,

Rhiannon
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey, well done - the button lift claims many first timers! Good for you, and look forward to meeting you next year maybe. We also have rain today and are womdering if the spring is now on the way. Upper slopes still fine but the village looking bare now. As for the race well my money is on Andreas - he is much faster than he looks! Will let you know! Cheers, Carolyn
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm glad that there's so many people who love going to Niederau as much as me. Checking the weather every so often makes me wish I was still there! I'm starting to plan next years visits now - I need to have something to look forward to, and a friend of mine has already booked to visit during tallefest in august! Have fun at the race on saturday - I'm sure you're all really competative!!! Have a great summer, and thank you for all your weather updates this winter, they've been great. Thank you, Rhian.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Rhian, I am so pleased to read about people who love it here too. See you next season! Will pop a weather update from time to time in case you need to know. Today as the last few days it is sunny and clear - got very warm in the afternoons and spring is definately here on the sunny side. Still good snow high up and just hoping the Tennladen habgs on til tomorrow for the race! Cheers, Carolyn
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Carolyn, how did the race go? I hope there was still enough good snow left. Did you give Andreas a run for his money? He told us he has won it previously, but is now not as daring as some of the other instructors half his age. I think he is really more competitive than he was pretending and will know exactly where to get the best racing line.
I have spent today visiting 2 of the only 3 ski boot fitters in South Wales and have started the ball rolling towards getting some boots ready for next year. The forecast here was not good, but they got it wrong. It has been warm and sunny. A friend came with me so we took our time and made sure we included a leisurely pub lunch in Cowbridge.
Hope you did well in the race.
Rhiannon
ski holidays
Hi,

Well we were more like water skiing really at the bottom but the race was great fun. I completed both runs in a nice slow time, and Andreas had a crash on his first run - he is a very good racer but this time Toni got the crown for seniors, Christian took the middle group title and our son Martin was 4th in junior men and the ladies senior was won by Christine who does the commentary on the sunday night ski shows and Andrea took the junior ladies title. We then had a riotous prize giving dinner last night and really feel the season has finished although there has been snow up at the top overnight. Thanks to everybody for reading this stuff, and again for all the wonderful creme eggs and I will do the odd one over the summer months. Cheers, Carolyn
ski holidays
Sounds like great fun. Do amphibious skis exist for when the snow turns to slush? Congratulations to all the winners. (Or llongyfarchiadau as they say around here. When you get that word out with the appropriate tones of admiration it really does seem as if you mean it.) I hope Andreas didn't get badly hurt when he crashed. It seems like the season has come to a very abrupt end with everywhere warming up for spring very quickly. I'll remember creme eggs when I return to Niederau next year. The milka chocolate I brought back went down very well here too.

Cheers.

Rhiannon
snow report
Llongyfarchiadau indeed! Sounds like you all had great fun. Christian obviously had his racing boots on - I had a fab week with Christian teaching us over new year, although he did like to go pretty fast and scare me, but I need to be pushed out of my comfort zone, and the day we spent on blades on new years day was one of the best (and funniest) days I've spent on skis!!! I'm not sure if you watch Gavin & Stacey, but if you do, Christian is familiar with quite a few of their favorite phrases which is really entertaining!!! Have a great summer, and thanks again for all the great weather reports. Rhian
snow conditions
Cheers everybody and thanks for all the messages - and the creme eggs! Just skied for the last time this season in sunshine and still good snow at the kropfrader although had to take the gondola down as the snow stops half way! Have a great summer and will be back next season. Carolyn
snow report
Hello, just a bit of news about Niederau - work has been going on all summer to install snow cannons on the Lanerkopfl (chairlift side) and they have been put all the way back to the village and down the Ungnaden piste as well (opposite hotel Wastlhof) so we are all set up to get the most out of the new chairlift! Hope everybody has had a great summer and will be thinking about the snow from now on!

Cheers for now, Carolyn
latest report
Glad to hear about the snowmaking on the Lannerkopfl, booked as soon as I heard it was in. Are there any plans to develop that side of the resort more? It seems like a lot of money has been spent on the chairlift etc with only limited runs immediately accessible from it.
ski holidays
Hi Chris, not as far as I know but I haven't been up for a while and there does seem to be lots going on as I look out of the window! New roads going up I think but will find out and report back!
latest report
That sounds great....I'm looking forward to my trip to Niederau in January now. C'mon winter!!
latest report
We're booked into the Hotel Austria 27/12. Fingers crossed for a white new year. I can't wait snowHead !
snow conditions
Managed to find ski boots that will fasten up on me - only just! A bit tight on the calves still, but am breaking them in around the house. There are no alternatives that are any better and I am determined to return to Niedarau to ski again next year. Published a few photos of the breaking in exercises on Facebook - much to the mirth of my friends.
snow report
Hello again,

Have been up the mountain to see what's new and there are lots of new mountain roads on the chairlift side, and the whole are now has snow canons, including the big schuss from top of the Lanerkopfl back to the top of the Marchbachjoch. Had our first overnight frost last night so really getting in the mood for winter! Glad you have found good boots, makes such a difference.
Cheers, Carolyn
snow conditions
carolyn, any news on the web cam yet?

Pete
latest report
Hi,
We have snow today, a couple of inches all over the village and luckily we have our winter tyres on already! apparently there are no more pistes on the Lanerkopfl but the snow cannons go right along the schuss to the gondola which is great news! Our webcam isn't working at the moment due to having changed internet suppliers and we will hopefully have it on again very soon - I know these things always take longer than you anticipate. Have been expecting the bloke to come for ages now it seems! My weather forecast says 14 cm snow today but am sure we will see it come and go again a few times before it's here to stay. Here's to a good and snowy winter! Carolyn
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carolyn wrote:
Hi,
We have snow today, a couple of inches all over the village and luckily we have our winter tyres on already! apparently there are no more pistes on the Lanerkopfl but the snow cannons go right along the schuss to the gondola which is great news! Our webcam isn't working at the moment due to having changed internet suppliers and we will hopefully have it on again very soon - I know these things always take longer than you anticipate. Have been expecting the bloke to come for ages now it seems! My weather forecast says 14 cm snow today but am sure we will see it come and go again a few times before it's here to stay. Here's to a good and snowy winter! Carolyn

Carolyn, I see your web cam is working but is it supposed to be pointing at the bank?!?! Also, where's the snow!

Pete
ski holidays
Should be ok now! Snow is still on the north side but hardly any left in our back garden!
latest report
Hi carolyn

I am due in your area week after next, sadly not on a skiing trip but it would be nice to have some snow on the ground.
snow conditions
Hello, here is my first snow report! We have had the snow machines on for a few days now and it is snowing too! Minus 2 in our garden and seems set to carry on for the next week or so according to local radio. Now where are those snow chains!! Carolyn
snow report
Wwwwww that's great news. I've just had a look at your webcam, and the village is looking lovely. Looking forward to January now.
snow report
Still snowing, you're right it does look lovely!
snow report
That's a really nice functionality you've set up on the camera! well impressed.

I think we have a wee bit more snow here (just north of you in the corner made by the A8 and A93 and it is still dumping down.
ski holidays
Glad you like the camera! I like to put it on ADEG to check my son gets on the school bus! Still snowing steadily, maybe we will catch you up Sue!
ski holidays
I came home from Nierderau on Saturday. Pleased to say that I was there when it started snowing and the coach I was on was delayed on our way back from the Munich Christmas markets. I enjoyed my holiday and the village looked lovely.
latest report
carolyn, When do you open for business then? I might come down for a half day's slide or two during the week (I have Home Office Thursdays and Fridays).

We have about 50cms outside now (just been shovelling the drive free again) and it is still snowing! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hi, 17th December is Niederau's start date! Maybe see you there! Glad you enjoyed it, Glacier. Still cold but sunny today. Carolyn
snow conditions
carolyn, Bloody brass-monkey weather here, though it has temporarily stopped snowing. Nice blue skies and sunshine so far today but the temperatures are Arctic, currently -3°C but the wind chill is taking it down to -9°C.

Definitely will drop you a line when I am able to get a morning or afternoon off from Home Office. Maybe you can show me some of the more interesting areas around Niederau. I've mostly skied at Oberau and Auffach (Schatzburg?) where I was teaching our school pupils. Blew out my left knee in March 2006 in Oberau. rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy