Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
Martin Nicholas, ,i am going to les arcs on 2 feb first time quite nervous Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
leesaloo, Welcome snowHead Why are you nervous Confused Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
leesaloo, Welcome to snowHead You'll have a great time in Les Arcs - where are you staying?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
leesaloo, is that you Looo?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it OK to ask about the Auigille Rouge on this thread?

I've heard it referred to as a classic piste but not sure if I'm good enough for the top bit - I'm always nervous on blacks Shocked and think i've only really been on easier ones.

Can anybody advise on how hairy it is?

Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kewhoward, Bring clean Pants Laughing Laughing . The red at the top is easy but there is a trick. 80 people or so come of the gondola at the same time. Wait for 5 mins for them to go and then go red. If you are nervous on blacks then its not worth it. Worth going up for the view. We are there next week and plan to do the top of the glacier all the way down to Villarogier. Rob@Rar has advised that the bit that goes black only above the Lanchettes charlift ain't to bad. We did the red last season from the top of Lanchettes to near Villargier (snow level was high) and it was brillant. So really want to do the whole run. Go for it.

The snow boarded is just setting of down the black at the top. The red goes to the side. its narrow and you basically snow lough at the top(click on the photo it enlargens)

and the view Shocked Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Gwaelod, great to see the picture and the advise to let the crowd go - looking at the piste map the key bit does seem to be the link above lanchettes where the red off the top swings away leaving just the black route for a while - is that the bit that rob@rar says isnt too bad? Though it must be black for a reason....?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gwaelod, nice piccy's.

kewhoward as gwaelod says, its only the first 300m or so that is really steep, after that the red (? Arondelieres) and black share a huge snowfield, then red tracks off left, black goes onto road to the right. The black road is not the narrowest, but the drop off is a tad scary, although there are nets most of the way down. It is certainly not a blue "cat track", so you will need to have a reasonable level of fitness - which is probably a good maxim for the whole run.

The only problem with the snaking red route at the top is when condition are poor: then it is narrow and icy - a couple of times I've been there they have closed the black piste and forced everyone down the track, and to be honest, I'd rather go down the main pitch!

Once you get to Lanchettes, it's red again, although I think some of the mogul fields above Villaroger can get quite 'fun': again, if not your cup of tea, there is a track winding its way through the piste which can be used to avoid particularly 'exciting' bits.

But what makes it a challenge is sheer length: 7km and your legs do burn, and there are enough variations in terrain pitch and snow conditions (3000m down to 1500m - there are bound to be!) to make it a great experience and test of your skiing ability.

As with all blacks, it is so dependent on conditions - kitten or killer? - it can be both!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kewhoward,

I did ask Rob by PM about that a few weeks ago and he says it is wide (yippee!!). I suppose it is quite exposed there so can get windy. Definitley going to give it a go. If your bowels are feeling a little tight on the trip due to rich foos I can recommend any of the blacks into the bowl as a way of loosening them. On the Varet gondola up to the glacier its great fun watching those on the Lanches black Shocked . Keen to do it this year but the wife swears he won't. I'll work on that but as she will read this I can't see it happening... Laughing Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 31-12-07 11:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Though it must be black for a reason....?

... marketing...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JimW, We only did Lanchettes to the top of the last lift into Villaroger due to snow conditions in March but that was knackering but fantastic skiing however you forget the real reason the ski the whole run. Lunch in La Ferme Villaroger Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, nice pics. I'm interested to know if they are using snow cannons on the lower slopes to patch up the icy bits, or are they saving water for later in the season?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kewhoward, I've done it - & I'm not really happy on blacks. The view is superb, but as gwaelod, suggests, take a bit of time at the top to aclimatise to your surroundings. I found the worst bit was getting out of the lift onto the metal grid that looks straight down to the bottom of the mountain - not good if you are a little vertiginous Shocked wink The narrow path at the top although steep isnt too bad for me - because you cant see the drop. Once it opens out there is loads of space & the views are amazing. You dont have to burn down at high speed - just take your time & enjoy the journey snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gwaelod, ah yes.... lunch is the main reason for any skiing run of that length - although I confess, it usually hot chocolate and tartiflette

geri, sorry if I gave the impression that you should try to make it top to bottom in one run ... er no - I simply don't believe that's possible for anyone! (OK, maybe the pro's...)
You are right: take your time, enjoy the views, and think of it simply as doing 10 runs without having to get a lift in between!

The Black above Lanchettes - its a road: its quite steep in parts, but not that steep, quite wide, interesting drops into the blacks in the 2000 bowl, (but netted where not a piste entrance) and nothing to be afeared of. If it wasn't for the approach from the top, I think it would probably be a red.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin Nicholas wrote:
rob@rar, nice pics. I'm interested to know if they are using snow cannons on the lower slopes to patch up the icy bits, or are they saving water for later in the season?

Snow cannons are running every night for the last few days. Quite a pain as I had to ski through several of them at 8.30 this morning on my way to Vallandry for a 9am lesson.
latest report
rob@rar, Are you working with New Gen? How do you get to Vallandry from your place before the lifts open?
snow conditions
geri, shadowing lessons with them this week and last. From my place it's a 15 minute hike up the Chantel nursery slope then head across on the Belvedere then Foret pistes. It's a 10 minute ski, and is probably just as quick as catching one of the lifts out of 1800 and skiing back down to Vallandry.
snow report
Has anyone had a go at the Avalanche parc training area at the top of the Transarc / Arcubelle? Its a shame that the training is midweek, because I really need to practice at the beginning of my trip.
snow report
rob@rar, You shadowing with a view to taking a job and working for them or are you do a personal YTS Cool ? Ignore question if you want snowHead
snow report
gwaelod, Laughing I need to do 35 hours of shadowing before I move on to the next level of qualification. I've had several lessons with the head of the Vallandry bit of NewGen and he was happy to arrange some shadowing for me this trip. I don't think I'll ever be fully qualified to teach in France, so I won't be working for NewGen.
snow conditions
rob@rar Laughing snowHead , Ahhh the old work experience. Still worse things and places to be doing some YTS (showing my age with YTS, that phrase still exist?)
ski holidays
gwaelod, that's right, even my 'commute' to 'work' today was rather enjoyable despite freezing temperatures and being blasted in the face by a few snow canons running full bore.
latest report
'Martin Nicholas,
Yes, I had a "go" last season at the Avalanche Parc - it is exactly what it says on the Les Arcs web site. My wife & I were the only people who turned up on this particular day, so we had a free personal lesson in how to use Arva transmitters it was great fun trying to beat "her indoors" in finding the buried "bodies" using the Arva. Wel worth the effort, if only to make a few more people aware of the avalanche dangers in the mountains. Every ski resort should do it, and it should be made compulsory for youngsters taking lessons, once they get to the right level.
latest report
yes them were the days. YTS........ young thick & stupid lol
jus kiddin
ski holidays
Yet another glorious blue sky day in Les Arcs. Temperatures remain quite cold in the mornings and a little bit warmer in the afternoons, but with no wind it's really very pleasant conditions for this time of year. Although it's New Year's Day it seemed very quiet around the resort. Some lifts had short queues, but several were ski straight on. Where is everyone?

Piste conditions continue to deteriorate slowly, with hardpack snow in many places. There's good snow depth, but as it's not snowed for three weeks or so the pistes are getting fairly 'tired'. The little bit of snow we had a few days ago was a temporary relief, but has mostly been swept away by skiers and boarders. Despite this it's still very easy to find good skiing on piste, especially in the mornings after the piste bashers make everything nice again. It's even possible to find little bits of nice snow near the pistes which you can savour.

I skied like a beginner this afternoon (should have known not to use my slalom skis when I was not feeling up for it rolling eyes ) so spent a bit of time in the snowpark. Some impressive stuff was on show:

But it doesn't always go quite according to plan:

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 1-01-08 18:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rob@rar, Think the drop in numbers must be because of the Vanoise being closed? All those in La Plagne normally come across to Les Arcs for the good snow wink Laughing

Great photos. Is that you in the orange jacket jumping wink Laughing Top photo what piste is that?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
Great photos. Is that you in the orange jacket jumping wink Laughing Top photo what piste is that?

Not even in my dreams am I that good. The park is generally off limits for me.

The piste is Golf, one of the main reds that drops into Arc 1800, just to the right of the Vagere chair as you look up the hill.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
The piste is Golf, one of the main reds that drops into Arc 1800, just to the right of the Vagere chair as you look up the hill.

You are right for a piste just above 1800 it is dead Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These blue sky days are getting really quite tedious!

Felt a little bit colder today, but that might be because I forgot to put a layer of thermals on Embarassed . On piste is extensively hardpack, but good snowdepth so no stones or ground poking through. Seemed even quieter today, so perhaps some of the New Year crowd are beginning to leave the resort.

snow conditions
rob@rar ...............congratulations in advance for your 10000th post......................

better make a real good 'un , eh? Laughing
ski holidays
sequoiaboard, thank you. I'll celebrate with a weather report: overcast today, and -3° at 1800m. Local forecast is for rising temperatures, higher winds and snow on Sunday/Monday.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Congrats

The potential rise in temps is a little worrying as talk of some rain down low Sad
latest report
thefatcontroller, Sounds horrid. Wind and rain/wet snow. Having skied in both last February in La Rosiere, I would advise you, and your mates accross the valley, to have the day off Shocked
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, I plan to ski amongst the trees and move from slope to slope on fast chairs. My friend on the other hand shall be freezing her fair sized t*ts of on drag lifts in the other place Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Laughing Problem would be that the tree line may equal the rain line Evil or Very Mad If it is not raining tell her to stick to the Ecudets chair as it is sheltered through the tress and the runs tree lined (and magnificent of course Very Happy )
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, 100kph winds forecast in the Italian border area today Shocked
ski holidays
boredsurfin, A gentle breeze for that area Very Happy Actually looks very bad. The mountain is virtully closed Crying or Very sad
latest report
rob@rar, Congrats on 10,000 posts. Very Happy
latest report
wow- just loving those pics of les arcs! was there only a couple of years ago but it seems sooooo long ago! such a great place to ski, even without the vanoise down. literally laughed out loud when i saw that pic of the "mistimed" jump- had a couple of moments like that myself but who cares, the fun is in the trying, right?!

High possibility that i'll be skiing in la ros from the 19th of this month so I do hope the rain stays away and we get some good snow and lots of sunshine!

Keep the pics coming Rob- great to see what the conditions are actually like out there!
latest report
papillion_rouge wrote:
Keep the pics coming Rob- great to see what the conditions are actually like out there!

Glad you like them. I'm back in London for 10 days, but will post more photos when I'm in Les Arcs later this month.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy