Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changes to SCGB Reps' Off-Piste Rules

Poster: A snowHead
stoatsbrother, sorry, a fast-moving thread and a vitally important lavish bash to go to last night wink so missed it. No, never had any involvement like that. And I'm not one of those ski expert witnesses that makes a living from blood wagon chasing. I know one guy who is kept busy more than full time writing reports for lawyers purely on ski accidents. Dry slopes, snow domes, tour ops, instructors, guides... there are a surprising number of cases affecting injured UK skiers going on against all of them at any one time which is why I know that SCGB must have to be looking hard at what their reps can/cannot do. According to the club's annual report, the club is being sued over the death in Verbier last season.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller wrote:
...According to the club's annual report, the club is being sued over the death in Verbier last season.

Is it? I have missed that. The chairman and the chief exec both note the tragic death of a Club member who was snowboarding with the Club at Verbier. and the treasurer notes costs of £32,000 in association with this. But I can't find the bit about the Club being sued. Could be a senior thing. Can you point me at it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
jasonc wrote:

I still think that some people here are missing the point. A ski club rep is there to help the ski club members. It is not there job to teach or get more cash for the club.

Do the reps still have targets to recruit 2 members per week while in resort? I know it used to rankle a bit as some reps felt under pressure about this. It doesn't seem to be a normal approach for a pure ski club... more like the Scientologists. (note I have nothing at all against the Scientologists).

IIRC the target no longer applies

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 24-10-07 8:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
Do the reps still have targets to recruit 2 members per week while in resort? I know it used to rankle a bit as some reps felt under pressure about this. It doesn't seem to be a normal approach for a pure ski club... more like the Scientologists. (note I have nothing at all against the Scientologists).

According to a rep we skiied with last year, they do have targets of recruiting new members. I think it was in the range of 2 or 3 each week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, there you go, I have had another senior moment then. I thought I had read the target no longer applied - I accept I was wrong.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm thinking of starting a new thread of Ski Club Quotes, I liked this one:

"It's amazing how stupid people are!" - Ms Bettany Garner

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, ah - we cross-posted! You may not be wrong.......any reps want to comment?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jasonc wrote:
Elizabeth B, Unless you say up front what you are comparing the ski club system with and do not only mention another group which we know nothing about, it is totally unfair for you to continue to compare the SCGB system of rep assistance with another unknown one. Please be open or it is not worth engaging in this further. Sorry to be so blunt but all this secrecy gets us nowhere.

I'm not trying to compare the ski club to anopther club, merely raising an issue that I am trying to get to grips with myself, that had already been raised on this thread.

The reason I am trying to be vague, is that the group concerned have raised the issue in a private discussion, and I don't feel that it is my place to bring their specific situation into the public view. Sorry if you find this as "secrecy" and that you don't feel that you can trust my word when I describe it as a similar situation.

I will go as far as to say ot involves a club that employ no-one, but that undertake "adventure sport".
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, thanks for the clarification. Sorry to ask - perhaps your friend is who I thought you were? Anyway - I read the club report the same way you did. No doubt we will find out in due course. The problem is that reacting to lawsuits - whilst necessary - does tend to skew policy in a very defensive manner. I hope and suspect things will simmer down and a more pragmatic policy will emerge.

Where are you on the Ball of red string policy btw? wink

cathy, I skied with a rep last year who managed to recruit 2 Americans whilst I was there. But I agree, the reps should be an advert/asset for the club rather than a bunch of pimps... (unless that is their real life occupation - I wouldn't want to distress one of our Scotish friends by being socially exclusive Toofy Grin )

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 24-10-07 9:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
...According to the club's annual report, the club is being sued over the death in Verbier last season.

Is it? I have missed that. The chairman and the chief exec both note the tragic death of a Club member who was snowboarding with the Club at Verbier. and the treasurer notes costs of £32,000 in association with this. But I can't find the bit about the Club being sued. Could be a senior thing. Can you point me at it?

note 14 to accounts... contingent liabilities.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Where are you on the Ball of red string policy btw?

stoatsbrother, I think I answered this earlier. I'm just stuffing some cord up my troser leg as I write. I reckon, in some circumstances, it would enable you to locate a victim faster than by electronic means. Will it ever catch on again? No. Not fashionable enough snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, must be a marketing opportunity. Grungey camo string for snowboarders. Tiny useless little lengths for bladers, and white lengths made by Spyder for snow bunnies?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, got it - thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the treasurer notes costs of £32,000

achilles, the way I read it, £32k is the tip of the iceberg.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother, white avalanche cords might be hard to spot... I'm no expert tho'. Meanwhile I'm working on Swiller's Incredible Whole Body Inflatable Bubble Avalanche System - only weights 96 kilos.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, certainly looks open-ended. The treasurer seems to think that the Club may make a large loss but weather the storm. We shall see.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
stoatsbrother, white avalanche cords might be hard to spot... I'm no expert tho'. .

That was sort of the point...

Anyone ever tried a noise alarm - which you could trigger? or would that just get muffled?
ski holidays
Does the club not carry insurance for such incidents?
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, they must do but there will be a very hefty excess and a limit to the maximum payout. Who knows, this one might have brought both ends into play. If the victim was young, had dependents and a bright earnings potential ahead of him, the payout could be mammoth... especially if negligence comes into it (but we don't know that).
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, should do. One can but speculate at the moment. Here are my thoughts:

1. The Club did not arrange adequate insurance. Or -
2. The insurance company is trying to wriggle and there may be legal costs in getting the claim settled by it. Or -
3. The rep acted outside his/her remit - so Club not covered by insurance - but the other side are going for the Club since it has assets.

Dunno. In the dark at the moment. I guess we'll know in time. Could be something else altogether.
ski holidays
achilles, I hope for your club's sake you're wrong. A combination of 1,2 and 3 would add up to commercial suicide - they are already predicting a trading loss because of this. Imagine the impact of another incident... and they do have a nasty habit of coming along when you need them least (better than a .00000000001% chance wink )
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I hope I am wrong, too. I just don't like the bit in Note 14 which says the contingent liability cannot be assessed, which has led me to the above thoughts. I would have expected a contingent liability to have been expressed in a relation to the maximum insurance excess - and a prudent estimate of possible arbitration costs. No estimate at all for me throws a shadow over the accounts - and if there were a share market in the Club shares, I would be selling. That said, I may have grabbed entirely the wrong end of the stick. It is a pity there is not more detail in the Note.
snow report
achilles, I guess as a member you have the right to ask. The uncapped nature of it would worry me too.
snow report
The Ski Club seem to be in a no-win situation: if they don't restrict reps skiing off piste they risk big financial loss, and if they do they risk losing some of their reps (and they will tend to be the best skiers) and, more importantly, reducing the number of skiers skiing with reps. I notice that in the current Ski and Board they cheekily represent the changed rules as "to encourage more skiers to ski with our reps" which is laughable - it will clearly do the reverse.
The pleasure of introducing skiers to the thrill of skiing virgin snow well away from the piste (and repaying the club for having done the same for them) is part of what motivates many reps to do the job and was certainly a big factor in getting me to ski with reps and continue skiing with them.

If it isn't already obvious, I am an SCGB member (and went on the reps course nearly 20 years ago - but I'm not a rep).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 24-10-07 11:22; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Bode Swiller, could be a lively AGM.
snow conditions
achilles, Almost worth a snowheads trip to it?
snow report
achilles wrote:
Bode Swiller, could be a lively AGM.
Ooooh I can visualise it now... you and DG like brothers in arms bombarding the chair with impossible questions. Think I'll join.

Ok, off now. Ski Show is calling.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, could be. I wasn't going to go - but there are questions:

1. What exactly can the reps do now?
2. Why cannot a maximum contingency limit be shown in the accounts?
3. Why were we not told the reps rules were changing before our subs were collected?
4. Why was the rep-rule change promulgated by a drip-fed letter - I still haven't seen mine, so I am relying on forum chat and emails?

So it could be worth making the effort - but it does cause me considerable problems to come down.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, see page 135 in the current "Ski and Board" magazine which I assume you must have by now.
snow report
snowball, ah yes. Found it, thanks. Written in very lightweight font which I find a deterrent to read, I wonder if that is a co-incidence. Or maybe I am just becoming too cynical for my own good.
ski holidays
Well the ski club quickly moved the discussion posted on their website from the general skiing area of Members Chat to the Ski Club area (used for internal matters). Looks to me like they hope it won't be noticed.
snow report
snowball, I think Joe actually asked them to do that. I started another thread over there before that one in the ski club section, but made the thread title too opaque.
ski holidays
Yes, I noticed someone called Joseph McDonnell asked for it to be moved. I assumed he had something to do with the ski club but I don't know who he is. I just wrote on the thread that I didn't think it should have been moved, but I very much doubt it will be moved back. wink
The "The" thread however, which has only an occasional link to skiing and none to real skiing, has remained in the General Skiing area of Members Chat for months.

I just added something to your thread but didn't realize it was yours, if you see what I mean.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 24-10-07 16:14; edited 8 times in total
snow conditions
snowball, also a snowhead currently taking a looooong sabatical Crying or Very sad
snow report
achilles wrote:
snowball, ah yes. Found it, thanks. Written in very lightweight font which I find a deterrent to read, I wonder if that is a co-incidence. Or maybe I am just becoming too cynical for my own good.
i dont think that is actually possible.. wink
ski holidays
Further to my worries on Note 14 to the accounts, a couple of accountant types have pitched into the conversation. Basically, FSR12 applies, and until "amount can be reliably estimated and it is probable that the amount is due" the liability cannot be provided for, and so Note 14 is quite correct. I may have been reading too much into it - I'm happy to wait until events unfold. My apologies if I have been unduly alarmist regarding the accounts.
snow report
Ah. Just opened the Club's letter - which had been with me a few days. As it was in a plain white envelope it had just peen dropped in the pending tray.
latest report
stoatsbrother, snowball, To clarify, I should make it clear that I (as the originator of the thread on the ski club members' chatsite in the general skiing area forum) asked the SCGB moderator to move it to the ski club forum after a couple of people had posted that they thought that was the more appropriate area, and I was quite happy to do so. No conspiracies involved! Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 24-10-07 17:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
By my count there must be at least a dozen if not more ski club members posting in this thread, I wonder how many are Reps themselve. If they are willing to stand up and be counted, or maybe i should say stick there necks out, a question to them. What do they think of this change to off piste rules?

On another point, the death in verbier was posted on the ski club site a few months ago. It said that the person was a French member with a British wife that ran a chalet somewhere, according to what was written about him, he was a very experienced snowboarder and it seemed to say that the club were not being held responsible. Sorry cannot remember any more of the details. Does any one else know any more? It was a very tragic thing to happen and I feel very sorry for the family but what has brought the change that has been hinted at in a few posts that the club may now be being sued. The club needs to come clean and tell the members what has really happended. I have tried to raise this on there site and the post was deleted, Why the cover up if nobody has done anything wrong?

So that nobody thinks i am getting at the reps. I think they do a great job and I always try to ski with them when on holiday. I do not agree with the changes to what they can offer but have no other facts available to me despite asking the SCGB. Therefore I can only guess as to the reason for the change as are many others. One thing for sure, if the clubs asks the members, they will i am sure find that this change is very unpopular and WILL cost them members. If the Ski Club officials are reading this notice board. they need to post something on there site in the main forum before even more searching questions start to be asked.

I wish i could go to the Ski show and ask them again face to face about the change. I am sure that some of the Executive will be at the show, they should be I would have thought. Might I suggest that any members going to the show this week do just that and ask them why this change has been made. If you do please share the response with us.
latest report
jasonc wrote:
On another point, the death in verbier was posted on the ski club site a few months ago. It said that the person was a French member with a British wife that ran a chalet somewhere, according to what was written about him, he was a very experienced snowboarder and it seemed to say that the club were not being held responsible. Sorry cannot remember any more of the details. Does any one else know any more? It was a very tragic thing to happen

Thanks for reminding us. I remember now. I remember the thread on the SCGB forums at the time. I did not know the family ran a chalet or even that he was skiing with a rep. Very sad.

If you can get to the ski show can you not get to Wimbledon in November ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy