Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
@Jefferson Darcy, you go up plan des mains and that gets you back quicker and avoids ours. I strongly second the advice you already received. I've boarded and skied Ours. Its unpleasant on skis and just miserable on a board. The only time you would think about it is if youve missed the last lift up plan des main and Ours was the only way home.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I think the fact I am quite a nervous skier doesn't help the white out days, if you can ride out bumps you don't see I can see it being much easier.

Get goggles where you can swap out the lenses and use completely clear or very very light tint, eg. yellow. I'm bad in the flat contrast of a whiteout and once tipped over because I didn't know which way was up! Chromapop STORM YELLOW FLASH with 65% VLT might be as good as it gets, probably even better than clear lenses.

https://www.sportrx.com/blog/smith-chromapop-goggle-lens-guide/#storm-rose-flash

I'm not sure but I think I ride the bumps better when I can't see past the front of my skis. As you get less nervous you probably rely on your feet as on your eyes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Heading to the 3 valleys for the first time at the end of the month, staying in Meribel. I've been told to avoid the Ours piste back to town as it's a diasaster for boarders. Could anyone advise on the best runs to take back coming from Courchevel and VT and also any pistes in general to avoid as a boarder?

Very Happy OMG, I was imagining a steep, narrow run with bumps as high as your waist! I checked my map and it's that bloody flat blue. You don't want to go there on skis, never mind on a board. It's an excellent place to find trapped families with small children and teen age girls. Thanks for reminding me, I'll try to remember to avoid it.

Anyway, download the pdf piste map and you'll find Ours directly below the peak of Mont Vallon. Then you can plane your own route down. The danger is that you forget and get on it by accident. If you pass Mures Rouges, your are f*****.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jefferson Darcy wrote:
Hi thread

Heading to the 3 valleys for the first time at the end of the month, staying in Meribel. I've been told to avoid the Ours piste back to town as it's a diasaster for boarders. Could anyone advise on the best runs to take back coming from Courchevel and VT and also any pistes in general to avoid as a boarder?

Yes avoid Ours on a board, it is very flat. Also avoid anything with Boulevard in the name, they are also pretty flat.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First day skiing on Wednesday. Probably looking to get the ski legs in around Meribel for the day as we've gotta get the telecabin up from Brides les Bains. The webcams today were not encouraging.......but last year we skiied the 12 peaks in zauchensee, schladming, etc and had rain, fog , ice, and blue sky .....so here's hoping Eh oh! for the blue sky. BTW, great forums these....as I'm new to this parish. Any updates or tips greatly appreciated. Cheers All.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Screensurfer, don't assume it's the same up top as below. Sometimes there is an inversion.

Mont Vallon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chack the webcams - peaks looked like they were above the clouds today.
https://www.les3vallees.com/en/live/webcams
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Out on Sunday for my first visit to the 3 Valleys. Really looking forward to it now.
The Meribel facebook/insta page has some incredible shots from yesterday to make it even more exciting!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How do people rate the red runs off pointe de la masse to say Campagnol or Pramint? Asking as an early intermediate trying to find reasonably forgiving reds to progress onto (the two named being examples of some I enjoyed last year). Appreciate conditions are hugely important etc just trying to get a sense of whether they are “just a bit harder than a blue” vs “just a bit easier than a black”.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@javindo, Fred Covili is a great piste. If you liked Campagnol you will be fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good to know thank you! Staying in Les Menuires this year after having been to the other 2 valleys in the two years prior so I’m particularly excited to be able to finally make it over to Orelle and give VT in general a bit more of a try instead of passing through with an eye on the clock and links.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I may be alone in thinkin that the red on La Masse are a bit steeper than the 2 you mentioned, which are lovely cruisy reds.
La Masse, early morning can be a ski of real reward though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Frosty the Snowman, I am going off memory obviously but been to Les Men three times in recent years and I don't think so. Campagnol for sure is pretty steep at the top. There is an option of a bit of black called "Masse" at the top, which feeds into Fred. Which is what you may be thinking of.

As @javindo rightly recognises, conditions in general play a part.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
javindo wrote:
How do people rate the red runs off pointe de la masse to say Campagnol or Pramint? Asking as an early intermediate trying to find reasonably forgiving reds to progress onto (the two named being examples of some I enjoyed last year). Appreciate conditions are hugely important etc just trying to get a sense of whether they are “just a bit harder than a blue” vs “just a bit easier than a black”.

Fred Covili is a cracking run as is Bouquetin (the blue) - there is a relatively narrow 100 metre or so path at the start of both (as you exit the top station building / you can't avoid it) so just take your time to navigate that ... also, do spend some time admiring the amazing views from the viewing terrace. They can be very humbling on a sunny day.

Don't overlook the runs off the Boismint and Plan de l'Eau chairs - they're often underused for some bizarre reason. They are excellent as far as I'm concerned. For a confidence-boosting cruise try Tete Ronde in Val Thorens - you will not regret it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was in VT Feb '23 for a family trip and never managed to get over to the Orelle side of the mountain. Heading back to VT next month and just wondered what time frame is needed to ski across to Orelle (Plan Bouchet only, not down to the village), with a few laps of the Lory or Gentianes blue runs?

Only reason I ask is because we will have to get back to VT centre to collect kids from ski school at 11.45am. Drop off is 9am, so is 2 and a half hours enough for myself and my wife to "do" Orelle?

Alternatively, are the blue runs suitable for beginner children (aged 12 & 11), with a previous 8 days mountain skiing under there belts?
latest report
Roscoe wrote:
Was in VT Feb '23 for a family trip and never managed to get over to the Orelle side of the mountain. Heading back to VT next month and just wondered what time frame is needed to ski across to Orelle (Plan Bouchet only, not down to the village), with a few laps of the Lory or Gentianes blue runs?

Only reason I ask is because we will have to get back to VT centre to collect kids from ski school at 11.45am. Drop off is 9am, so is 2 and a half hours enough for myself and my wife to "do" Orelle?

Alternatively, are the blue runs suitable for beginner children (aged 12 & 11), with a previous 8 days mountain skiing under there belts?

I think it will be a bit of a push (but definitely doable) for you 2 to head over via Cascades (just make sure you know where the bottom of Portette is as it's quite easy to ski past it if you drop down on the wrong side), Portette and the Thorens bubble to ski Lory all the way down to Plan Bouchet and then back up Rosael etc.

Lory will be absolutely fine for your kids - it's mostly wide and gentle. The views at the top are superb and I'm sure they'll enjoy the experience. Just make sure you pick a dry / sunny day with little wind (if you're lucky). It is pretty exposed up there. Then once you're at Plan Bouchet you can stop for a hot chocolate / cake and then head back up Rosael. Make sure you take the blue Chamois down as the red (I think it's called Variante) is quite steep in places. Or you can always download on the Grand Fond.

Another immense blue that is often overlooked is the Tete Ronde (on the VT side) - it's relentless in its length but again wide and very forgiving. It's one of my top 5 runs in the 3Vs.
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

I think it will be a bit of a push (but definitely doable) for you 2 to head over via Cascades (just make sure you know where the bottom of Portette is as it's quite easy to ski past it if you drop down on the wrong side), Portette and the Thorens bubble to ski Lory all the way down to Plan Bouchet and then back up Rosael etc.

Lory will be absolutely fine for your kids - it's mostly wide and gentle. The views at the top are superb and I'm sure they'll enjoy the experience. Just make sure you pick a dry / sunny day with little wind (if you're lucky). It is pretty exposed up there. Then once you're at Plan Bouchet you can stop for a hot chocolate / cake and then head back up Rosael. Make sure you take the blue Chamois down as the red (I think it's called Variante) is quite steep in places. Or you can always download on the Grand Fond.

Another immense blue that is often overlooked is the Tete Ronde (on the VT side) - it's relentless in its length but again wide and very forgiving. It's one of my top 5 runs in the 3Vs.

Thanks Franga!!

Is it quicker to head to the Grand Fond via the Moutiere lift and ski the Gentianes first? Assume you can get to the Lory via the Rosae liftl? Or is there a quicker way?

I skied the Tete Ronde last time and, same as you, absolutely loved it! I was on one of the first Peclet lifts up after dropping the kids at ski school, and felt like I had the whole thing to myself! One of those runs that makes you feel like your really on a mountain face!

Out of interest, what are the other 4 of your top 5 runs? I'll make sure I cross them off this time if I haven't skied them already.
latest report
Roscoe wrote:
franga wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Thanks Franga!!

Is it quicker to head to the Grand Fond via the Moutiere lift and ski the Gentianes first? Assume you can get to the Lory via the Rosae liftl? Or is there a quicker way?

I skied the Tete Ronde last time and, same as you, absolutely loved it! I was on one of the first Peclet lifts up after dropping the kids at ski school, and felt like I had the whole thing to myself! One of those runs that makes you feel like your really on a mountain face!

Out of interest, what are the other 4 of your top 5 runs? I'll make sure I cross them off this time if I haven't skied them already.

It might look so on paper but I think both Moutiere will be quite busy at that time of day

No - the Lory starts at the top of the Thorens bubble.

There are 3 key entry points into the Orelle valley :

Cime Caron - reds + blacks
Col Rosael - where Gentianes and the lovely Mauriennaise red fan out from and
Cold de Thorens - Lory

I'd say that my other 4 top runs in the 3Vs are :

Moraine / Genepi (off the Moraine chair)
Folyeres (La Tania)
Lapin (Meribel)
Suisses (1850)
snow report
Good evening Snowheads! We are heading out to La Tania on the 28th Jan. Any advise on where to go for relatively cheap eats within the 3 valleys for lunch/snack would be much appreciated. We will take packed lunches for some of the week. 3 of us to include our forever starving 16 year old son! Many thanks.
snow report
The 3 valleys is a big place but if you ski down to the bottom in Les Menuires there is a cafe/restaurant right in front of you where you can even sit and drink tap water for free without even buying anything. In Meribel, we favor Les Rhodos restaurant for lunch. I think it is the one between the Rhodos lifts but it may be the one at the top. I can't quite picture it. There are a good range of cheeper and extortionate restaurants in 3V. The ones high up tend to be expensive.
snow report
Some other budget friendly options we’ve found are snack bars dotted around the place notably the bottom of the st Martin express lift, and the terrace places in Mottaret. Also the only place I managed to find acceptable coffee was the coffee bar at the bottom of Creux by the Aguile de fruit lift.

La Tania also has some good snack stands and a great pub with the Folyeres piste down to it being its own reward!
ski holidays
Thanks Guys. My son's and I were out in Meribel for a few days last January. Snow conditions weren't great low down, but we absolutely loved Le Folyeres. It was holding up really well compared to some of the other lower stuff!. We had a couple of lunches at The Ski Lodge. The tacos were great value and very filling. Thanks for the other options as we'll most likely be elsewhere in the ski area over lunchtime this year....will save us a lot of time when we are out there. Very Happy
snow report
There's a bakery cafe in the commercial centre in Courchevel 1850, upper floor, close to the ice rink.

In Les Menuires there's another one in the commercial centre - left hand corner entrance as looking at the U shape.

Mottaret has a snack hatch just before the start of the run down to Meribel.
ski holidays
Evening! I’m new to the parish!! Just joining in as we have confirmed a trip to VT 29 March to 10 April.
Anyone else going to be around?

And does anyone have recommendations for ski school?

1. Across 2 families We will have 3 girls age 7, 9 & 11 who we believe are all of a similar level.
Would a private lesson for the 3 of of them make sense - rather than a group lesson?
And which ski school would you recommend? They each have 2 weeks experience on mountain.

2. We would like to put our 11yo son in group lessons. Again which ski school would you suggest?
I’d like a small group for him otherwise he is likely to either disengage completely or act the clown!!! He can get down blues and reds albeit with little style. He has about 3 weeks on mountain experience and has finished Hemel Snow Centre Red group lessons.

3. The mummies might like a private lesson too.
rusty intermediates!
Anyone had a good experience and they would recommend a ski school?

4. And are there any fun activities you would recommend for adults or kids? (Other than skiing!). My son mentioned a zip wire, sledge run & ice driving….!

What is realistically going to be a must do at Easter and when do I need to book?!

I know I need to get the lessons booked so look forward to your recommendations.

TIA
snow report
SirCharles wrote:
Evening! I’m new to the parish!! Just joining in as we have confirmed a trip to VT 29 March to 10 April.
Anyone else going to be around?

And does anyone have recommendations for ski school?

1. Across 2 families We will have 3 girls age 7, 9 & 11 who we believe are all of a similar level.
Would a private lesson for the 3 of of them make sense - rather than a group lesson?
And which ski school would you recommend? They each have 2 weeks experience on mountain.

2. We would like to put our 11yo son in group lessons. Again which ski school would you suggest?
I’d like a small group for him otherwise he is likely to either disengage completely or act the clown!!! He can get down blues and reds albeit with little style. He has about 3 weeks on mountain experience and has finished Hemel Snow Centre Red group lessons.

3. The mummies might like a private lesson too.
rusty intermediates!
Anyone had a good experience and they would recommend a ski school?

4. And are there any fun activities you would recommend for adults or kids? (Other than skiing!). My son mentioned a zip wire, sledge run & ice driving….!

What is realistically going to be a must do at Easter and when do I need to book?!

I know I need to get the lessons booked so look forward to your recommendations.

TIA

Hi there and welcome to Snowheads.

I have used EFS for ski school in VT, but my children are aged 12,11,4 & 3 so needed the full variety of care. And the drop off was directly outside of our accommodation so it was easy in the mornings. All of which I was more than happy with.

Haven't had any private lessons so cant comment on that.

As for activities, the ice karting is lots of fun and my elder two really enjoyed it as did i! There is also the Snakegliss where you have a small sledge that connects to the sledge infront (forming a snake) and an instructor controls from the front! You start at the top of the Peclet lift and decent to the town. Quite hairy at times and the elder two were scared stiff when the snake would swing out to the edge of the piste overlooking a drop! Worth a go if you're into that sort of thing.

Away from the skiing, there is a softplay in the small shopping centre if the kids want something away from the slopes and in the warmth.

There is also a purpose sledging run next to the higher magic carpet that they loved lapping and can get some decent pace going, while in the safety of an isolated run!

Hope that helps.
snow report
Hello,
I'm arriving at Maribel mottaret in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a place to rent skis.
I usually rent my gear at intersport or skiset.
I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice place who keeps their skis sharp …
Any advice will be appreciated.
snow report
Does anyone have a list of the easier black runs in the three valleys? I want to try some out
snow report
@Thew2002, conditions are critical. Let the sun get on them. Ideally after a bit of fresh snow.

Previous thread on the topic (things won't have changed much obviously):

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148293
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franga wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Franga, good info cheers - off to VT for the first time in April. When you say that Tete Ronde is relentless in length, do you know how long the run actually is? Cheers
snow report
Quote:

At the risk of reigniting another earlier thread, a full season for the over 75s at about the same price that everyone else pays for a single week, is still an absolute bargain.
But no doubt a few will still feel that they have 'paid all their skiing lives' for their free passes.

I can't wait to be 75! Laughing

Sorry for digging up an old post but this year I was absolutely gutted when I got my first senior discount. How come you guys are all still young but I've grown old?
latest report
Last year I rented from intersport in Meribel and I could hear the grinding machine going in the back. The skis they handed me were still hot and I cut my finger on the edge. I guess you could ask for another pair if they try to fob you off. And shell out for a decent ski, not just the basic models.
snow report
Quote:

sorry, forgot the quote
snow report
So how is the snow in Meribel at the moment?
snow conditions
bugz wrote:
Hello,
I'm arriving at Maribel mottaret in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a place to rent skis.
I usually rent my gear at intersport or skiset.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Have always been very happy with the quality of the equipment at Skiset - the one near the Mont Vallon hotel. Very friendly staff too.
ski holidays
SHAP wrote:
franga wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Franga, good info cheers - off to VT for the first time in April. When you say that Tete Ronde is relentless in length, do you know how long the run actually is? Cheers

I would say 3-3.5 kilometres max. What makes it special is the terrain, variety and sharp turns. It’s a cracker and much better than the overrated Jerusalem.
latest report
4 consecutive powder days for us in Val Thorens and Les Menuires...

It has been incredible! Very Happy

A few pics for you:-

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 11-01-24 22:39; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, looks superb!! With a guide or just finding routes yourself?

Wondering if the Freeride lab is avalanche controlled at all?
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@Bergmeister, looks superb!! With a guide or just finding routes yourself?

Wondering if the Freeride lab is avalanche controlled at all?

Self guided, but not far off the beaten track and sticking predominantly to moderate/gentle terrain.
snow conditions
Fantastic pics @Bergmeister - looks amazing! Very Happy
snow report
franga wrote:
SHAP wrote:
franga wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

I would say 3-3.5 kilometres max. What makes it special is the terrain, variety and sharp turns. It’s a cracker and much better than the overrated Jerusalem.

Thanks, very much appreciated.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy