Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Just had lunch at the Red Rock in 2000. Faux fillet with a pepper sauce and veg 16 euro, fish and chips with salad 17. Cheaper than my local pub in the UK and with a wonderful view.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s snowing lightly in arc 1600 at the moment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just started to snow lightly at 1800m. Temperature seems to be around 1 degree, so I guess the snow line is not too far below me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The tiny flakes of snow and rolling cloud have continued almost all day sometimes good visibility and sometimes "where is the next piste marker" but generally a good day. Well a part day. I'm still taking it easy with my new knee. We skied entirely at the 1600-Vallandry side of the ridge today finding nice snow and empty pistes.

The snow cover is good at the moment with no bare patches or water ice. It is firm under foot, perhaps yielding a couple mm on turns but overall really nice. The fact that there is almost noone here is really helping to make some enjoyable skiing.

I thought I'd have a go at a black piste to check if I remember how to ski so we went over and did bosses. Once again it did not live up to its name but the steep sections probably still deserved its colour coding. It was fun and we saw no one else on it at all. Oddly, I've never done traverse all the way from the Derby chair before (usually belt down Reche) so gave it a go. A long gentle piste all the way back to 1600 and unusually no bare patches and no slush. I had to stop at one point to decipher the plethora of piste markers looming out of the fog, but generally just stand there and coast all the way home.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After enjoying 3 bluebird days today was a bit meh. As the others have said, if it wasn't flat light,it was snowing, and if it wasn't snowing it was cloud and fog. Visibility the square root of FA.

Enjoyed the €20 a la carte day (celebrating 20th paradiski birthday) and popped over to La Plagne. The cloud was as bad but the snow was, possibly, better than here in LA.

Lift news: I'm told that Transarc will be closing a couple of weeks before end of season to give sufficient time to get the replacement up and running for next year. (Other routes are available...)

To cope with it being out of action Summer opening will include Bois de l' ours and either carrely or arpette.
There's a movement to get ADS to keep them open even when Transarc returns in summer '25 .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
... and rolling cloud have continued almost all day sometimes good visibility and sometimes "where is the next piste marker" ...

It's nice when you're above the cloud when it fills the Tarentaise valley. I do find it endlessly fascinating, especially as a time lapse when you can see the cloud ebb and flow up the valley sides.

http://youtube.com/v/gLE8_ofoRh4

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, that's a wow pic!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arctic Roll wrote:

Lift news: I'm told that Transarc will be closing a couple of weeks before end of season to give sufficient time to get the replacement up and running for next year. (Other routes are available...)

Ah. Sounds like it'll possibly be out of action when we visit at Easter (the first week of April), though I wonder if they'll hold off until the Easter holidays are over.

I won't miss standing in it, though given the length of the queue for it, I dread to think what that'll do to the Vagère and Carreley queues.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Owlette, I wouldn’t worry, the last couple of weeks of the season are from mid April. Easter is well before that. Usually the last couple weeks of the season are very quiet and thé transarc will not be missed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It’s snowing in 1600 now and it looks as if it will get heavy. 10cm forecast for today.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arctic Roll, I’ll miss the Transarc like I miss slamming my nuts in a drawer. Avoid it like the plague

Packing car ready for 3am departure, should be in Vallandry lunchtime Saturday
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good to hear as it really would slow things down getting up from 1800 at Easter.

Just been looking at the webcams, along with 5 others. Looking very snowy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not much visibility today, spent all of today in the Villandrey trees.
New snow has freshened things up nicely, and more to come tonight according to Meteoblue.

Also, cannot wait for aux veux Transarc to go, it feels like an antique compared to every other bubble in the area. New one is looking glossy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Also, cannot wait for aux veux Transarc to go, it feels like an antique compared to every other bubble in the area. New one is looking glossy.

I remember it going in. Before then it was two lifts up from 1800 to col du grand renard then the blue down to 2000 and drags up to the col de la chal. (I also recall the Cachette drag lifts, the telepherique to Bourg st Maurice and the plethora of drags up to col de la Chal and grand col). At the time we thought it was brilliant.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm heading there in two weeks. The piste map has currently quite a few lifts closed. Lower down on the mountain, I can understand, but Varet, Col de Chal and such? This because of the current weather?
snow conditions
@Glowtape, Yes it is due to the weather. It was windy last night and snowed a bit so as a consequence the 2000 bowl is effectively closed and lifts upto the ridge from 1600/1800 are closed. This is not an unusual event. Fortunately there is plenty open this side of the resort so I expect the residents of 2000 and 1950 will be crowding onto the Navettes.

I must add that I took one look out of the window this morning and went back to bed but it does look as if it is clearing up.
latest report
Has there been much fresh snow overnight?
snow report
In 1600 almost none. It rained but just a short distance up the hill it was about 20cm.

We did arolles which was horrible in the thick mist and strong wind on the approach road but then soft snow all way down.

We are in vallandry now and at the bottom the snow resembles April rather than December but no bare patches. Conditions are good between 1700 and 2100m
snow report
The afternoon went well with the wind dropping and the visabilty improving. The snow was pretty good and even Vallandry where everyone goes in bad weather was quiet. My replacement knee is not so good as bending as the original one so I am getting onto chairlifts by flopping sideways. This has not been a problem this week as we have had a chair to ourselves every time but next week might be a problem.

Piste of the day has to be Combe on the far western side of Vallandry. This piste is away from the lifts, in the trees and usually very quiet. The snow was good and we really enjoyed it. Shame the drag lift at the bottom has been removed, now you have to traverse on a flat road to get else where. I suspect its rather unpredisposing entrance doesn't entice many skiers.

Lunch of the day: the Olympic Ski chalet on the left as you go down Foret into Vallandry. Cheap as chips. Well actually a bowl of chips cost 4€ (I thought they were 6 but my son swore they were 4). Possibly the cheepest lunch I've ever had on a ski holiday, but I did splash out and hae 2 cups of tea. The weird thing about the place was they were showing cricket on the TV in the restaurant. Cricket in France!
snow report
Hi does anyone have an update on the conditions ? I see it’s getting milder with no snow forecast ? Seems it will be clear and sunny at least !
snow report
I looked out of the window this morning and saw heavy cloud so we had a slow breakfast. Then I looked at the live cams and saw bright sunshine just a bit above us.

The snow conditions yesterday were very good and I see no reason for a major decline over the next few days.

My knee is a bit sore today so I'm having a rest. A shame really as lots of people are arriving in the resort at the moment. Tomorrow will be busy.
ski holidays
thanks John sounds good. could be a hell of a lot worse !
latest report
@HDJ, we skied above the clouds all day, which were filling the Tarentaise valley to around 1850m on the Arc 1800 side. Above that altitude piste conditions are just about perfect. The snow over the last 48 hours has improved the pistes significantly from the slightly firm conditions we had earlier in the week, so almost everywhere was wonderful soft, compacted snow. I didn't ski off-piste today, but things did look like there was a wind crust at higher elevations, and fairly soft, dense snow at lower elevations. It was quiet today, being a Saturday, with no queues anywhere.

The weather was lovely, with blue sky above valley clouds and just about warm enough to sit on a mountain terrace. Perfect, especially for Christmas week.

snow report
I will be there this time next week! Where can me and my 8 year old get a reasonable lunch at 2000?

Bit worried it's going to be cold?
ski holidays
Quote:

I will be there this time next week! Where can me and my 8 year old get a reasonable lunch at 2000?

Red Rock was good when we went in last week - fish and chips 17€, faux fillet with vegtables 16€ - good quality, service and price.

I'm sticking to my regime of only 3 or 4 hours a day to let my new knee heal as much as possible so now back in the apartment.

It has been a brilliant sunny daywith the temperature here in 1600 hovering around freezing and of course cooler higher up. The snow cover is excellent with no rocks or bare patches. The going is firm going on hard.

Though the resort is significantly busier than last week it is by no means rammed. We have walked straight onto most lifts and our longest wait was at Varet where it was about 2 minutes. The essentials passes are, however, making a big difference. I'd guess that 80% of the skiers are queing in the non express lanes.

Second black run of the new knee today - Refuge from the grand Col - small soft bumps almost all the way it felt really good and it was very quiet. There were only a few people doing it, even my wife and son chose the off piste to the side which they regarded as very good. We then decided to go down to Villaroger. The usual bump field of Aiguille Rouge below Plan Violet wasn't there, it was bashed smooth with excellent snow. The snow got a lot firmer below the Soillet restaurant where it was very firm. I'd advise sharp edges (and angulation) if you want to ski it. A fall may result in a very long slide if you are unfamililar with ski pole braking technique (use it like an ice axe).

The restaurant at the bottom proved disappointing. My son commented that the tarteflette was not the best he had ever had.

I took the cheats way home from Villaroger - down Lys, then the bus from Pre st Espirit. My 4 hours was up.

Piste of the day - definately Refuge, excellent snow, very scenic, not too busy and a very ego massaging black piste
snow conditions
A few other things

Simon Beck isn't here so no pretty patterns on Lac Marlu Sad

The Comborciere lift is closed for maintenance so the easy way back over the ridge from Pre st Espirit is not possible. Hence the navette
latest report
Lovely day today but it’s Easter temperatures Confused

Boy says Nordic ski area top Peisey is in great shape
snow report
As seems to happen every year restaurants change hands. I've just called into what used to be the Petite Cocon at the Place des Trois Ours in 1600 (oposite the RockyMountain). It is now an international restaurant called the Nawi. They are offering food from around the world for example Thai, Senagalise, Spanish etc. and artisan beer. The staff are very nice, as they are throughout Arc1600.

We wish them well and will be eating there on Tuesday night.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any options for a lighter lunch ( ideally at 2000) . We are half board.
snow report
A brilliant day today, clear blue skys, no wind and good snow but we missed the morning by sleeping in and opening presents. With a late start we decided to stay this side of the ridge, and ski lunch. I had a small fall on Clocheret so thinking my technique was rubbish went over to practice turns under the Charmettoger lift (Reches). After that it was over to Vallandry and Ecrueuils, which was in excellent condition.

The runs were fairly busy but once again there were no lift queues, but then again there never are at Clocheret and Charmettoger. It was rather nice slowly making your way up hill in blazing sunshine.

Snow cover was complete with what is looking like an excellent base for the rest of the season. It stayed firm most of the day but was starting to soften as we approached the bottom of Vallandry slopes. It was in good condition as we cruised along Traverse (formally known as Golet) back to Arc1600

It was a pretty perfect Christmas day. (we'll ignore the big fall when a binding realeased unexpectedly)

Piste of the day - Clocheret even though I had a fall on it
No restaurant of the day as we didn't stop for lunch.
latest report
Lots of people arriving tonight. I expect tomorrow to be busier.
latest report
Just realised that with 2024 next week it has been 40 years since I first skied les arcs. There has been a lot of changes since then.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Just realised that with 2024 next week it has been 40 years since I first skied les arcs. There has been a lot of changes since then.

I think it's been 38 or 39 years since I first went there. Lady F learned Ski Evolutif. It was a long haul (27 hours with traffic jams) in a Coach IIRC from Victoria Coach Station. It was before they upgraded the road for the Albertville Olympics.
latest report
Hello! We’re heading to Arc 2000 on the 13th Jan. Sorry if these are commonly asked questions, but been searching for ages and can’t see clear answers. Wondering:
1) is it worth pre-booking ski passes online, or is it easy enough to get them
there?
2) kids are keen on doing the zip line and sledging - would the essential pass be worth it over the classic?
3) should we be booking restaurants for a few dinners in advance, and any recommendations for relaxed dinners in 2000 / 1850?
Many thanks! Eh oh!
snow report
@Bramble,

It’s fairly easy to buy the passes on line and they post them to you. You should get them before you leave. If you don’t, a quick call into the lift pass office will sort it out. Here in 1600 the lift pass office is very easy to deal with and much better than most. Nevertheless I’d probably buy my passes online.
The main advantage of the essentials pass is the queue jumping, which will not be a problem mid January anyway. Simple maths will show any financial benefit. I have an essentials pass even though I’d probably not go across to la plagne.
The last restaurant we ate in in 2000 was the taj i mah and we booked it the day before. Once again my experience in 1600 is that you can book on the day.
snow report
The lift pass office in 1950 has been completely overhauled. I use Ski A La Carte, so no need to go in, but they now have self-service (like cash machines) where, presumably, you can pick up online orders as well as buying passes.
snow report
Magnificent art by Simon Beck. One of my favourites of the many I've seen over the years. See bottom left for scale...

snow report
@rob@rar, wow, that's wonderful. And you have just the gadget to capture it! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
you have just the gadget to capture it! Toofy Grin
That one was taken on my phone wink
ski holidays
@Bramble, welcome to Les Arcs.

As per 1950, the lift pass office in 2000 has self service machines which offer the opportunity to either buy direct or pick up pre-booked passes. (FR and EN screens).
The Zip line is amazing, but the essentials pass is significantly more expensive than the cheapest so, again as above, it is a questions of doing the maths.
Mid Jan you won't get much benefit from the fast-path that Essentials gives you, so it should be straightforward to work out a cost-benefit based on how many of the "extras" you'll use. And even if you want to go to La Plagne, the daily uplift for that isn't huge - if you have a 'normal' Les Arcs pass, you just pop into the lift pass office at the bottom of the Peisey lift ( it is signposted), and get an extension before getting on the Vanoise Cable car

Restaurants in 2000 / 1950 - You can book once you arrive: neither village is based on chalet accommodation which give the staff a night off (meaning everyone hits the town on the same evening). Although Friday night can get a bit busy - Saturday is transfer day so people tend to eat out on the last night. But if you book that on the Sunday you'll be fine.

In 2000 I'd suggest 2134 or the Savoy. Taj-i-Mah, as per JohnE while nice, will do serious damage to the plastic.

In 1950 there have been a number of changes this year, and while I have had reasonable / good reports of both Chez Leontine and La Boheme, both are new this season, and we've not eaten in them personally.
But Luigi's is good and not desperately expensive; if you are meat eaters the the Vache Rouge is sound, (but not for the veggies in your life). or if you like fondue raclette or Hot-stone, then the Perce Neige is a relaxed atmosphere and our go-to.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy