Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@donie75, this is a cut and paste from an earlier post of mine.

https://www.austriatransfer.com/en run a regular scheduled transfer service as well as private ones if theres four of you private is cheaper, this is last seasons schedule https://www.austriatransfer.com/downloads/fahrplaene2021/Saalbach_Hinterglemm.pdf
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
radar wrote:
@Badbobby, here's a warm up
Do Eat at the Tiroler Baum, it's one of the best restaurants in the area, The Liebe Heimat is also good, both are a stones throw from your accommodation
Don't forget that the last ski bus leaves at 5pm from the Schattberg Xpress, you can take the 680 bus up to about 7pm fare €3.20, then there is the NightRider every 20 minutes fare €5, or a taxi €20 takes up to 6
Do get over to Fieberbrunn and Legogang, the latter is easy for you starting our on the Schonleitenbhan
Do download the SalzburgVerker app as it will give you the ski bus times
Do check if the mountain restaurant takes card, there a few that don't and some that have a €10 minimum spend

Afternoon. Currently enjoying the webcams and the open lifts, from afar...

I've downloaded the Verker app. Very helpful tip, thanks. I've favourited where we're staying. Can we buy tickets on the bus using credit card for a family of 4 easily?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Badbobby, I’ve always bought mine through the app, there’s also a ticket machine by the stop and you can pay on the bus.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
legend. ta
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi All. After some general advice from the experts here, some of which is answered previously in this post to a degree but it can be hard pulling out the info with topics jumping from one thing to another. Anyway, I hope it's OK to drop a post.

Having been to Hinterglemm many times myself some years ago I am considering a week 3/4th Feb taking my 16 year old son. The easy option is a package but to try keep costs down I'm considering trying to do things myself which would likely be a flight from Edinburgh to Salzburg. Getting the flights is the easy bit, so my question to you all please is really some pointers on some accommodation and transfers.

It's just me and my son so looking at Saalbach or Hintetglemm, not too far from the centres. Transfers is where I'm least comfortable and slightly worried, not speaking a word of German other than to order a beer! I read there's a bus which is cheap at €15? We would be travelling with skis, would that be an issue? Also, should I be worried or is it simple?

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boofont, it took us a while to decide on the bus as opposed to the shuttle and a now converted.

You can take skis and luggage, you place it in the hold yourself and then climb aboard the bus, then when you get to Maishofen take it off , there is a two minute walk down hill to the connecting bus service.

For the return journey it’s pretty much the same.

Buy your ticket through the app, show it to the bus driver , no German required.

If you prefer there is a shuttle bus service at €60 per person each way, see my post on page one for links.

What type of accommodation are you after, there is Die Sonne which has great facilities, 15 minute walk into town, but the run a shuttle service to the lifts, do you want something more central then it’s a choice of pension, 3 / 4 star hotel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@radar, Thanks. Appreciate the reply.

Just looked up Maishofen. Right next door really and I recall previous transfers making the turn to/from Saalbach there with Zell being the other way, we were heading to/from Munich. Worse case it looks a short taxi ride away.

Flight I'm looking at lands at 10:50 which would be OK I'm sure, leaves 11:40. Would that be an issue ref bus times? I expect not?

Die Sonne looks a bit posh for us, lol. To be honest, I think we'd like somewhere closer to town. Accommodation is the one thing I'm not sure about, keeping my son happy in the evening etc. In the past we have been to hotels that had pool tables etc. Before then which was before Covid he was in kids club, did the Esprit thing a couple of times. 16 is a funny age, if he was 18 plus we could pop out an enjoy a few beers and a bite.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Boofont, check out the resort website and search for accommodation via that - https://www.saalbach.com/en has offers for your dates from €660 upwards.

And in terms of evening activity, the consumption of beer by 16 year olds is legal in Salzburgerland - just saying... https://www.protection-of-minors.eu/en/country/AT#answer5
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Boofont, if you go on to the Salzburg Verkher sit and pick a connection there is a map showing the walk to the two bus stops https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/

With the connection we are plaining to do it with 45 minutes, luggage is usually pretty good at coming through, at least you have the option of a later bus if you get delayed.

You could look at the www.hotelkoenig.at I've not visited it but it does get positive comments , it's near Bobby's Bar where they have bowling and possibly a pool table, they also have live music
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Boofont, in support of @radar suggestion, my friends stayed in hotel Konig last year and another couple stopped there previously and all rated as very nice. Good location for Bobby’s and pool table etc for your son and beer for dad. Few mins walk to Schattberg gondola that opens up every option across the valley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For anyone that is looking at a transfer from Salzburg on the train into Zell am See and then a taxi for the last leg instead of the bus, Taxi Rainer have quoted me €60 Zell to Saalbach and Zellemsee.taxi approx €50

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 1-12-23 21:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are arriving in Saalbach on 16th, and so excited by look of webcams and forecasts! We are staying as Residence Saalbach and self catering. Where is the closest best supermarket that is likely to do lactose free milk? Many thanks!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, depends on whether you have a car with you - the closest is the Mpreis in the centre of the main street but only read the Google reviews if you are feeling brave. It is small, limited options, and very busy around 4-5pm.

With transport, the Mpreis between Saalbach and Hinterglemm or the Billa on the way into Saalbach are better options.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
. Thanks @ousekjarr, We won't have a car, would there be a bus we could hop onto?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The bus runs along the valley, both ski buses (free) and post buses (paid), but it's a bit of a trek back up the hill to where you are staying. One of the ski buses goes up to the Turmweise lift I believe, but I would check on that and the running times before depending on it. No doubt @radar or @tatmanstours will have more knowledge of that.

If it's for a big load, I'd be tempted to get the bus to the larger Mpreis and taxi back. For 2-3 items, I'd take a rucksack and walk down to the Billa and back, stopping for a beer in each direction to stave off dehydration wink
snow report
Would the Billa be better for Lactose free?
snow report
@NickyJ, the Mpreis in town is well stocked and has a range of milks, you just walk straight down from your accommodation, Billa would be your closest and is larger probably about 15 minutes longer going back as it uphill.

As@ousekjarr, the bus runs along the main road you would have to walk down to the Schatberg xpress to get a bus, getting to the stop is only marginally quicker than walking to Billa, you can then go up to Mpreis.

I would walk to Mpreis in town if they don’t sell what you want then walk on to Billa, you would walk past it going to Billa.

Sorry it’s a bit rambling
latest report
@radar, thankyou!
snow report
@ousekjarr, @radar, @ribblevalleyblue, Thanks very much. Some great comments there and very helpful.
latest report
@radar,

radar wrote:
if you go on to the Salzburg Verkher sit and pick a connection there is a map showing the walk to the two bus stops https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/

Sorry, I'm confused and don't know what you mean "pick a connection"?
ski holidays
@Boofont, go to https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/ do your from and too and date and time then select the times you want then click on it and you will get the route, where the transfer is there are some feet as its a walk, click on that and you get a map, I’ve added it in below

snow report
@NickyJ, Mpreis should be open by the 16th check its weekend opening times, Sunday are short hours the same with Billa, links below

https://www.mpreis.at/maerkte/id-8762/mpreis-saalbach/5753-dorfplatz-533?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb-profil

Billa, https://www.billa.at/maerkte , will have Sunday opening not sure when it starts.

I’m doing this while I wait for the workshop to warm up Toofy Grin
snow report
@radar, Thanks. I get you now. 260 then the 680.

latest report
@NickyJ, I'm 99.9% certain that all 3 supermarkets mentioned will have lactose free milk or the various oat / rice / almond alternatives.

If you happen to be near Hofer (Austrian Aldi with a similar logo) they tend to have a really good range of lactose free cheese the like of which you wouldn't normally get in the UK. Unfortunately the nearest branches are probably Saalfelden or Bruck.
ski holidays
@andybomb1, thanks
latest report
Does Mpreis open on a Sunday during the season or is it just Billa? We're arriving in late February on a Saturday night so would be very handy to be able to get snacks on the Sunday and not have to wait till Monday.
latest report
@snorks, yes, Mpreis in town I believe doesn’t open the out of town one does, Billa is open for a few hours on Sunday, you can get milk at Salzburg airport from the first coffee shop you reach when exiting the baggage hall.

The BP garage also has a mini supermarket

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 1-12-23 14:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Thanks for the info @radar, much appreciated!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snorks, I’ve just looked at my notes and changed my post, the out of town Mpreis opens Sunday 15.00 to 18.00.
snow report
@snorks, there is also Burger Baron on the way to Hinterglemm, which does bread , milk, vegetables and frozen food
snow conditions
“ If you happen to be near Hofer (Austrian Aldi with a similar logo) they tend to have a really good range of lactose free cheese the like of which you wouldn't normally get in the UK. Unfortunately the nearest branches are probably Saalfelden or Bruck.”

I go to the Hofer stores fairly regularly, especially the one in Schuttdorf, at the far end of Zell am See, which is probably the nearest to Saalbach. There’s a good Lidl there too.

But it’s possible to go a whole winter in Saalbach, without once getting in the car. All three of the main local supermarkets (MPreis x 2; Billa) and Burgerbaron are within easy walking distance. Obviously that depends on how much you have to carry.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:

But it’s possible to go a whole winter in Saalbach, without once getting in the car. All three of the main local supermarkets (MPreis x 2; Billa) and Burgerbaron are within easy walking distance. Obviously that depends on how much you have to carry.

@tatmanstours

Are all 3 supermarkets open on weekdays as well, planning to arrive on a Monday
snow conditions
@nahdendee, normally (barring bank holidays and religious festivals), the supermarkets are open on weekdays until 7.00-7.30pm. Saturdays until 6.00pm. Sundays - Billa half-day opening (maybe also the big MPreis). All can be googled for current opening times.

Also the shop in the BP garage is often open till later.
snow report
@nahdendee, big MPreis is open for few hours on Sunday and certainly open on a Monday unless as Tatmantours has mentioned it’s a public holiday.
latest report
Hi.

Re supermarkets, we’re arriving on sat 23 Dec, landing in Salzburg around 3pm. Got to collect the car.

How much of a problem is it going to be doing a big shop on that Saturday late pm/eve. I’m assuming Sunday is going to be tough, being Xmas eve on top of the usual short Austrian Sunday hours?

We can obviously drive relatively far to get to something that has better opening hours.

Cheers in advance
BB
latest report
@Badbobby, it won’t be a problem, you will be driving through Saalfelden, as you enter the town the road goes down hill on your left you will see a Shell petrol station, before it on the right is the Interspar, you can turn into the multi storey car park or go right at the first roundabout, it’s a large supermarket, if you don’t fancy that further up the road on the left is a Super Billa and next to it is Hofer (Aldi is called Hofer in Austria)

You will also go through Lofer where there is a Spar and Mpreis.

Check their websites for their Saturday opening times they should all be open until 18.00.
snow conditions
Supermarkets usually close at 6pm on Saturdays.

Depending on how quickly you get through the airport and into the car, and the traffic, you might struggle to make it as far as Saalbach by 6pm, but if you take the route Salzburg > Bad Reichenhall > Lofer > Saalfelden > Saalbach you'll pass a couple of big supermarkets in Lofer and Saalfelden.

Lofer is about an hour from Salzburg - there's a Spar on the roundabout, or a Billa on the right as you leave the town.
Saalfelden is 20 mins further on - there's a big Interspar on the right at the first roundabout as you descend the hill into the town, or a Billa Plus and Hofer (Aldi) on the left about 200m further on.
snow conditions
@Badbobby, if you are worried about time there is a Billa in Walserberg which will be on your route and is about 10 minutes from the airport
ski holidays
Thank you, both.

Are xmas eve and Xmas day a write off?
ski holidays
@Badbobby, Christmas Eve is a Sunday on normal Sundays shops are closed, the exception to this is resorts in, Saalbach you will find that Billa and Mpreis will open for a few hours. I would not expect any shops to be open on Christmas day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy