Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé and Super Salzburg Pass - Snow Report 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
kooky, Some have it, and some don't. I have it in abundance... Blind stupidity! At least with a 45 degree angle you are never actually far from the deck Smile That was seriously the furthest I've ever launched lol.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-01-14 23:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
twodogs, It is a great area indeed Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks also to my local trusty guide. I think you pay them with either cheese or vodka shots.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Three days in to our Salzburg Super Ski Pass hol....4 days to go. Staying in Dorf Gastein for the week. First time here. Very sleepy village but that's fine by us.

Considering that things were very green-looking when we opened the curtains on Sunday (day 1), the snow/skiing is actually excellent. Valley runs are holding up well in very warm temperatures - though it did snow nearly down to Dorfgastein last night. Brief report of events so far:

Day 1: Dorfgastein/Grossarltal: Great area; full range of conditions - from packed powder & lovely groomers at altitude to total mush in the sun in the afternoon. Still great though.

Day 2: Bad Hofgastein/Bad Gastein: Another great day & excellent area. Slopes very quiet & snow better than yesterday. Valley runs still very skiable - though last 50m to Bad Hof G car park was very thin.

Day 3: Katschberg: Fresh snow down to about 1000m in Dorf G; Wagrain & Flachau all white as we drove through - but no fresh snow when we emerged from the Tauern road tunnel...Katschberg was fantastic. Loved it. Great area and excellent snow - though wind was ferocious at the top and slopes were windblasted here and there. Off piste was mainly very crusty - but we did manage some nice fresh tracks off the top gondola. Another great day.

Day 4: Moelltal Glacier.....(To be continued).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
twodogs, Thanks for the review! Really useful stuff. Looking forward to that mountain restaurant! I'm sure we'll have a great time. Exploring is the best bit of a new area anyway so we'll follow our nose I'm sure! Looks like we may get a half decent amount of new white stuff just before we arrive so we could be in for a little treat!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jonnybroome, I can thoroughly recommend the Hochmaisalm as well - cheaper than the Steinbock and a little less pretentious to my mind! Mind you the backgrop to the Steinbockalm is jaw droppingly beautiful in the right weather.

There is a snowHead based in Hinterthal as well this season - he's back in the UK for a few days this week but is normally there - CraigJ. It might be worth contacting him for more detailed info. I had a fantastic day skiing with him last week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonnybroome wrote:
twodogs, Thanks for the review! Really useful stuff. Looking forward to that mountain restaurant! I'm sure we'll have a great time. Exploring is the best bit of a new area anyway so we'll follow our nose I'm sure! Looks like we may get a half decent amount of new white stuff just before we arrive so we could be in for a little treat!!!

You're welcome. I'll see if I can upload a couple of photos in a bit if I can work out how. The SteinbockAlm is frustratingly a bit higher up than the point at which the lift from Dienten spits you off and, rather than walk uphill, you can do worse than to take a quick blast down the red and/or black to the foot of the Hochmais and get the heated 6 man chair back up to the front door. We got into the habit of finishing the day here with a quick pint and, once the piste basher had done his first run up, we'd take the home run on fresh late afternoon tracks along with a few others.

Fingers crossed that you get a good dump this week, I bet the runs are beautiful with a coating of snow rather than ice. I slipped over on one very icy run and assumed wrongly that I'd just build up enough snow under my skis to stop my descent. Didn't quite work out that way, I ended up going further - and faster - on my side than on my skis. All good fun. :0)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict, cheers for the Gastein update. I've heard the pistes are perfect at the moment. I'll be there myself tomorrow evening, can't wait!!! snowHead snowHead

Cheers
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
7 days to go and it looks like it might snow on every one. Getting excited now. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nunfa1, Have loads of fun, but please don't use it all up before we arrive on the 16th Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lots of snow, loads. Very Happy Ange
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Ange, Ooo...excellent news Very Happy I'm really looking forward to our trip in a few weeks time and it will be even better if we have good snow Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, thanks, but I'm not going to promise anything. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fab news Ange! See you next weekend! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, the pistes were good anyway dispite the green valleys - but now they are epic.I will see if I can get out with you. My kids are in school/kindergarten so Im free in the mornings. queen bodecia, next weekend - brilliant. Very Happy Ange
latest report
Amazingly fine day up in Zauchensee today, Waynos, you may want to skip the next paragraph.
At least 60cms fresh powder up in "the Garden", in some places it was so deep it was up to my thighs, a crisp fresh minus 6 , so snow was light and fluffy, face shots every run, and if you kept up high in the forests you got untracked every time, awesome stuff!
Did most of the last run down at 3pm into Flachay Winky on piste (after a "moment" with a tree on the Itinery route under the High liner, I am sure a certain person will be along soon to post photos, point and gloat Skullie) and it was thoroughly unenjoyable, really big moguls the whole way down, with icy scraped patches, and it was horrendously busy. When I got to the bottom I was bloody glad to get my skis off, my legs were shot rolling eyes
Looks like more of the same tomorrow, so Flangesax, come out and play, and remember…..turn!
snow report
kooky, maybe - just maybe Im free tomorrow - or - Family Flangesax at the least! Ange x Very Happy
waynos, flights booked yet????
snow conditions
I am reliably informed it is 51 sleeps till the next trip - too long but it is a cheeky extra snowHead
snow conditions
flangesax,see you at Zauch then?
Hers´s a pic of Avalanche Poodle enjoying his first dump of the season! Incidentally, he had to ski all day with his flies open as his zip "broke".
Yeah, right Twisted Evil
latest report
kooky, great pic!
snow conditions
Pedantica, certainly very different to this time last week, I was ready to get out the tartan picnic rug and hamper Shocked
latest report
kooky, Laughing Really glad for you. Looks like there will be plenty in the Dolomites for me. Still working on March - that Nicky is dragging her feet! Twisted Evil And, furthermore, we haven't yet had our agreed joint expedition to hunt for onesies. (Actually, I've recently discovered that there's a Primark quite near me, so I might have to go on a preliminary reccy. Obviously a giraffe wouldn't be suitable for me - as someone with no neck worth speaking of - but maybe they'll have a penguin, or similar. Any suggestions, Ange? I'm not sure a prehistoric monster, as per Zeb and Mabel's outfits, is quite me...)
snow conditions
kooky, I had to read and weep! Don't worry flights were booked yesterday, out Thursday, looks like a fab powder week on the way.
latest report
Pedantica, I have several onesies that will fit and that you can borrow, are you good for a touch of leopard print?
waynos, I know, I am so sorry, your name was much mentioned and you were greatly missed, still, I will be at work most of next week too, so just making the most of it now Madeye-Smiley
snow report
kooky,
Quote:

are you good for a touch of leopard print?

Um...not sure...
latest report
Pedantica, I do have a matching muff…….sorry, wrong thread wink
snow report
kooky, blimey, have you seen a doctor about that? Shocked
snow conditions
I think he's a Witch Doctor. He said that she had to kill her best friend, boil him up in a pot and then rub the liquid all over her muff.

Something about Pal O Mine lotion curing anything Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avalanche Poodle, rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
latest report
Been snowing for at least 36 hours now.
This means driveways need clearing and the snow blower needs to get blowing!

Fears should all be totally over. With all this fresh on top of the pistes everything is back to normal with no worries until season end!.... So grab some bloody cheap media-price-driven flights and head out in this direction!!
snow report
flangesax, that is one heck of a lot of snow in my driveway today, lord knows what it´s like up top, must be EPIC! I am not going to risk getting stuck behind anyone up the Zauchensee road, will head over FW side, park there and ski over….see you later xx
snow conditions
Snowing at the moment in Badhofgastein.
snow report
kooky, Looks like it's pumping it down again. Oh I forgot you're working today Very Happy
ski holidays
flangesax, kooky, I'm almost on my way... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Been snowing for at least 36 hours now.

Quote:

Looks like it's pumping it down again.

like the sound of this, now all you need to do is to shoo away those plus signs from the longer range forecast temps and not use it all up until we get there. Toofy Grin I'm rather looking forward to our trip I've got things to practice Very Happy - we need about 5" of fresh and minus 10C every night and blue sky sub-zero days and it will be perfick Toofy Grin
snow report
Great up Graukogel today. 20cms fresh overnight snow - at least twice what they had forecast.
ski holidays
The forecast for the weekend is changing all the time at the moment, currently saying 6deg and rain. Was hoping to get away from that kind of weather, its all we seem to get at home these days.
latest report
We are on our way Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
My gf is on a touring trip in Kärnten (not all that far away from you guys), and they've had this much snow in the last day/night:

Now all the roads are closed so they're stuck in the valley until Monday apparently. Don't think they mind too much!!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 31-01-14 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Wowser, that's more like it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy