Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Brian T wrote:
Johnny luv plums is a legend in his own board track snowHead

I prefer Stab myself wink wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Busy again outside the DHO this morning wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DG Morning. I was thinking that ! Don't like when I can't see across to the bottom of the bumps from the DHO cam. Presumably it will be the SHORT Ski Sunday prog that will alow us a glimpse of the Lauberhorn race? I don't have sky tv being somewhat tight and old fashioned , but , is there more ski coverage on Sky than the terestial stations?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Holly wrote:
DG Morning. I was thinking that ! Don't like when I can't see across to the bottom of the bumps from the DHO cam. Presumably it will be the SHORT Ski Sunday prog that will alow us a glimpse of the Lauberhorn race? I don't have sky tv being somewhat tight and old fashioned , but , is there more ski coverage on Sky than the terestial stations?

Coverage on British Eurosport of all 3 races (Friday Sat & Sunday), Live and highlights - but as usual their priorities for 'minority sports' have reared their ugly head again - missed the first 15 minutes of the Live Slalom leg of the Super combined yesterday after the bobsleigh over-ran rolling eyes
If you are really desperate, you could take out a month's subscription to an IP proxy service on the web http://vpnuk.net/shared-ip.html and get the steaemed TV coverage from the Swiss TV - SF zwei - they have coverage for over 2 hours live today. (SF TV only provides web tv to swiss internet users, this service turns your pC into a legal 'Swiss PC') costs £6.99 for 30 days.
info here http://www.ukproxyserver.co.uk/info/Swiss-Zattoo-TV/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just arrived in Wengen mid afternoon (never having been here before during the Lauberhorn Race weekend I thought it might be intersting to experience it!) Main street absolutely jam packed as might be expected - I went along to watch the Downhill Winner's Prize giving event at 7pm - numerous happy drunk Swiss ski fans, needless to say! Laughing

I also called in to Central Sport to say hello to Johnny luv plums/aka stab - he said he is fine (no back problems at the moment).

A few snaps from this evening:

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a quick reminder that Ski Sunday will have its limited coverage of yesterdays downhill between 17.00 and 17.45 on BBC2 this afternoon
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf wrote:
Just a quick reminder that Ski Sunday will have its limited coverage of yesterdays downhill between 17.00 and 17.45 on BBC2 this afternoon

thanks for the reminder
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Brookes wrote:
D G Orf wrote:

thanks for the reminder

as if you needed it Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A few snaps from today's slalom. The "UFO" is a radio controlled flying/hovering TV camera used by the Swiss TV network , pretty cool! Cool

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After watching the slalom for a bit I went up to Kleine Scheidegg and then skied down to Brandegg - the apple fritters are as good as ever , but at 7.70CHF for 3 fritters and the currrent exchange rate I don't think I'll be having too many of them! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink, Whilst I envy you being at Brandegg for fritters I don't envy the prices, at current exchange rates nothing in Switzerland is reasonable in terms of price, except if you are Swiss I guess, think its going to be very difficult for their tourist industry for quite a while to come as well
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it me?
Watched Ski Sunday yesterday very good but not long enough--Superb weather and conditions, lucky year.
Then they went onto explain that it was the centenary year for the JB and apart from one shot of the original tunnelers and one shot of a JB train all the other shots whilst they were talking about it was of the WAB ? Seemed a little conflicting to me , however , the narrative wasn't bad.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree, why didn't they film the actual tunnel itself and then from the joch highlightling the attractions and the amazing views. Would have been great PR for the region and for Wengen!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 16-01-12 11:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Holly, Chris Brookes, Agree, however given the limited time the crew tends to spend in each resort no surprise, I doubt they even got onto a JB train whilst they were there, I think the story of that tunnel and the efforts it took to make it such as the fact that it was always intended to be electrically powered despite the fact that only one tiny demonstration electric train had ever been produced when the tunnel was started deserve more of a mention.

In fact I know a film producer, he's actually stayed in Wengen, think I might give him a shout and see if he thinks it would make a good documentary ready for the centenary of it's opening on August 1st this year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like the end of the week will bring more snow possibly starting on Thursday and carrying on over the weekend, provisionally I'm forecasting 40 - 50 cm of fresh snow by the end of Sunday however slightly warmer temps on Thursday (when the heaviest precipitation is due) mean it may fall as rain on the lower slopes, by Friday lowering temps should ensure that everything from then on is Snow, long range forecasts suggest that the start of the following week (23rd Jan) will be cold and clear with more snow arriving on the Saturday (28th) though this time less of it
ski holidays
D G Orf, Hope your forcast works out as i arrive in Wengen on the 27th .
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
I agree, why didn't they film the actual tunnel itself and then from the joch highlightling the attractions and the amazing views. Would have been great PR for the region and for Wengen!

They probably couldn't afford it - CHF99 each if you have a ski pass!
snow conditions
Soon the new 250m tunnel will be open at the Jungfraujoch. Due to open 1st April 2012

from : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jungfrauch/118675468193359

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 17-01-12 9:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
They're finally taking that damn tent down Very Happy
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, I take it that the travelator is for those who can't walk and still breath at the altitude ?
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
Chris Brookes, I take it that the travelator is for those who can't walk and still breath at the altitude ?

Reminds me of the time when a Japanese lady who got off the train at Wengen - obvously still under the effects of the altitude at the 'Joch - staggered into the path of the Wengen-Lauterbrunnen shuttle and was only saved by a swift rugby-tackling move by a passing Aussie. And boy those rack & pinion trains can stop fast when they need to!
ski holidays
Holly wrote:
Is it me?
one shot of a JB train all the other shots whilst they were talking about it was of the WAB ? Seemed a little conflicting to me , however , the narrative wasn't bad.

A test for the Wengen regulars, spot all the continuity errors wink
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b019x4m0/Ski_Sunday_2012_15_01_2012/ 29:30 onwards
I got 11 Shocked
snow conditions
Mentioned on snow-forecast that a new piste has opened near Arven. Anyone know where it is?
snow report
Brian T wrote:
Mentioned on snow-forecast that a new piste has opened near Arven. Anyone know where it is?

Can't imagine where they might put another piste at Arven - it's already littered with loads of overlapping routes. Last proper new piste I can remeber was Distelboden, which although short is a good little hill with a proper gunbarrel.

In the years prior to that all they did was close pistes - Telegraphfield and the like.
latest report
telford_mike, never understood why they closed telegraph field or the cut through below the bumps lift
ski holidays
sherlockis, It's more than 11 I think, I make it closer to 13 or 14 I think
latest report
Coming down from the eigernordwand lift (on the red towards the arven lift) after you go through the tunnel there is a new path off to skiers right. There is a bit of a path and then it opens out onto a short ish pitch of red run. It crosses the path to brandegg just above the eigernordwand lift where you can get onto any of the three lifts (including the arven)
ski holidays
Thanks for the info. But which piste is Distelboden, and where was the Telegraphfield piste?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To get to Distelboden ski down the main Lager piste until the junction with the piste from Mannlichen (on your left) and towards Scheidegg (to the right). Fork right here along the path. Stop where the path turns right. There's a piste (too steep to see from the path) that continues down towards the Lager bottom lift station. Enjoy!

Telegraphfield is above Innerwengen - it was an alternative way down to Mary's from Wengernalp. You can still do it off-piste if you don't mind a hike.
snow conditions
Forgot to mention - on the DHO website there is an archive of all the DHO journals going back about 300 years. Have a browse of one or two editions, they generally include a hand drawn piste map showing all the old runs.

http://www.downhillonly.com/site/journal.shtml
snow report
telford_mike, thanks for that, looking up my surname on the site I find my father listed in the members section as having been a member since 1962 until his death in '79 Whilst I didn't join until 20 years later
ski holidays
The skiing is excellent at the moment!
Yesterday I skied with a DHO group led by Sheridan, and she found plenty of nice off piste snow - one area which I hadn't done before was I think called "Sprocket's Hole" (just near the top of the Fallboden lift - I'm sure DG Orf will confirm if I've got the name right) and although there were many tracks on it there was still plenty of untracked snow. A bit interesting for me as I haven't mastered doing Telemark turns in deep snow yet, so was trying to do parallel turns on my tele gear, had fun although with free heels on two occasions during the day I got pitched forward and did good faceplants into the deep snow! Laughing Later on I tried some tele turns in less deep snow and it seemed to be working reasonably well. Smile

Today the SCGB rep was taking a group over to Grindelwald so I went with them and the conditions at First were great - good snow, blue skies, sunshine so not too cold and no wind. Nice lunch sitting outside at the Schreckfeld mountain restaurant then ski back down red 23 to Oberer Gletscher for the skibus back to Grindelwald. Incidentally at Grindelwald Bus Station the World Snow Sculpture is just getting started - the teams were working on shaping their blocks of snow into their particular design sculpture. Most have a small model on display showing what the finished work should look like. The British entry is marking the centenary of Scott of the Antartic, and is based on Scott's expedition wooden hut and has two penguins outside the hut - it looked quite good!
Madeye-Smiley I thought the Swiss design rather poor - it was called Kugel, and was hardly anything more than a large round ball Shocked

Tomorrow the DHO are going over to Murren , so I'll probably go over there. To confirm what DG Orf had previously posted, I've heard that the weather is meant to start to change tomorrow, with snow and possibly rain at lower elevations on Thursday. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Quote:

To confirm what DG Orf had previously posted, I've heard that the weather is meant to start to change tomorrow, with snow and possibly rain at lower elevations on Thursday.

You heard it here first Laughing

"Sprocket's Hole" Doesn't ring any immediate bells with me though there are several funny names in the area so you may well be right
snow conditions
Hi from Philadelphia, Pa USA
I have been enjoying all the recent posts and pix. Our ski club is arriving Saturday in Interlaken for a first time Jungfrau area visit (staying in Interlaken and commuting out). Because we have 30 skiers we will get a bus picking us up directly at our hotel and then telling them whether to take us to Grindelwald direction or Lauterbrunnen direction. I've done LOTS of research on the different areas. However, one thing never really addressed is how weather impacts how you should make your decisions as to which ski area to go to on any given day. It is looking like a week of precipitation so I'm wondering about visibility and if you would be so kind to keep the forecast updated and make any suggestions as to where we should best go if the snow is coming down - especially the first day or two til we get our bearings and get over jet lag. We fly out Friday evening. Sunday will be the first ski day. Most are intermediates - we are used to skiing in the tree lines and not so much above the tree line where everything is white and you may be struggling to see the wooden post with the trail number / color painted on it! Also, how is the grooming and do they issue daily reports as to what trails were groomed at the various areas? I SO appreciate any info.
ski holidays
medskis, welcome to snowHeads..........a Jungfrau regular will be along shortly.
snow report
medskis, Forget the bus the Jungfrau ski pass covers the train ride to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald from Interlaken.
ski holidays
I have a vague feeling I have heard of Sprockets Hole from someone , is it down the valley from Fallboden to the right of Oh God? I'm probably completly wrong! Does anyone remember Mac's Leap on or near the Tschuggen? I couldn't pin point it last year but then it must be 40 odd years since I last remember skiing it. Great looking at the DHO journals on line. Great seeing my late old mans name on the curling prizes and as secretary of the curling club. My claim to fame is there also on the DHO membership list!!! But can't see my winning of the Odling cup but then I can't remember what year it was!!!
My sister is out at Wengen in 2 weeks so getting somewhat envious of her as don't have the funds this year***%%%!!!!^^^$$
latest report
medskis, Actually the bus is not a bad idea because it will take you straight to where you want to go

First things first, grooming is generally performed every night on every piste run (provided it is safe to do so) you may also find the groomers hard at work during the day so no reports for individual areas, however at several stations you will find automated boards showing which lifts and runs are open

Most of the area is above the tree line there are a few runs on the Murren side that are through the trees, the runs between Wengeneralp and Wengen and below Kleine Scheidegg towards Grindelwald are also through the trees however the majority of these runs are gentle blues or easy reds.

You don't say what standard of skiers your group are, that might help giving you some advice as to suitable runs
ski holidays
Holly, I do remember a Macs leap I think if you follow the run down past the turn off to the Tschuggen it's one of the drop offs past the wide open area, but I can't remeber if it's the first drop off or a later one, it's between Tschuggen and Aspen I do know that much Embarassed

There are several old routes which are no longer used, some because they pass through protected Forrest and some simply from lack of use
snow conditions
medskis, welcome to Snowheads snowHead snowHead

Links that might be of interest -

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/ski-region

webcams -

http://www.swisspanorama.com

weather-
http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web/en/weather/detailed_forecast/local_forecasts.html?language=en&plz=3825&x=12&y=12
postcodes 3825 : Mürren // 3823 Wengen // 3813 Grindelwald
http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/europe/switzerland/weather-muerren/details/N-3515820/
http://www.bergfex.ch/muerren-schilthorn/wetter/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy