Warning: file_get_contents(https://vimeo.com/api/oembed.json?url=http://vimeo.com/32370570&width=640): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /var/www/html/ski-forum/includes/xtrafunctions.php on line 3631
is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread? (7), snowHeads ski forum
 Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
Val D'isere webcams are showing snow-making on the lower slopes but their own weather forecast is showing 6C at 2000m,
so don't know what that's all about, unless they're just testing Puzzled

They are also supposed to open 26th Nov, but can't see that happening at the mo Shocked nothing at all in the village and only a dusting higher up.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tony Ellwood

They're making snow lower down, because of an INVERSION.

Haven't you been paying attention to ANYTHING on this thread?!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have cold feet but a warm head, is this due to inversion?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tiffin,

Quality Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio, what, when it gets colder as you go higher?

There was not a frickin inversion over Geneva on Tuesday morning!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tiffin, you can always tell if you are suffering from an inversion, when you look at this writing is it the wrong way up?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kwality.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio wrote:
Tony Ellwood

They're making snow lower down, because of an INVERSION.

Haven't you been paying attention to ANYTHING on this thread?!!

Definately NOT an inversion - or am I missing the point Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Warmest November since 1864, they'll be an atricle in the Sunday Times about this in two days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
smithski wrote:
Despite a lack of snow, Ischgl is starting to look positively white. Good PR getting this out.

http://youtube.com/v/hOzFdgCphq4

Who needs snow?

From that promo film you cant get a good view of the mountain. Here is a photo from 16th November.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 18-11-11 12:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
that's impressive... Ischgl is in a nice cold spot
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27 wrote:
that's impressive... Ischgl is in a nice cold spot

has some nice hot spots too Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Definately NOT an inversion

Oh... right. Embarassed

I might have misunderstood what an inversion is then.

Can anyone explain what one is please?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anorak on! There are a number of types of inversion but the vast majority are temperature inversions where there is are increasing temperatures as altitude rises which is exactly the opposite of what happens normally - ie it gets cooler as you climb (until about 40 000 feet when temperature becomes a constant and a chilly - 60 deg ish). They can be caused by a variety of phenomena eg where a warmer air mass moves over a colder one. Air masses do not mix easily (hence all the blather about fronts). So it can be colder in the valley than at the top - the easiest way to spot this is looking down on a layer of pollution - because the gunk cannot rise it gets trapped beneath the inversion level - same with high levels of humidity and becomes fog. Anorak off. This is wht on still days the villages and vallies can be dull and damp - up top bluebird day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio, you sir are a fisher of men.
ski holidays
Extreme weather to worsen

Quote:
An increase in heat waves is almost certain, while heavier rainfall, more floods, stronger cyclones, landslides and more intense droughts are likely across the globe this century as the Earth's climate warms, U.N. scientists said on Friday.

The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) urged countries to make disaster management plans to adapt to the growing risk of extreme weather linked to human-induced climate change, in a report released in Uganda.

The report gives differing probabilities for weather events based on future greenhouse gas emissions scenarios, but the thrust is that extreme weather is likely to increase and that the likely cause is humans.

The IPCC defines "likely" as a 66-100 percent probability, while "virtually certain" is 99-100 percent.

"It is virtually certain that increases in the frequency and magnitude of warm daily temperature extremes ... will occur in the 21st century on the global scale," the IPCC report said.

"It is very likely that the length, frequency and/or intensity of ... heat waves will increase," it added.

"A 1-in-20 year hottest day is likely to become a 1-in-2 year event by the end of the 21st century in most regions," under one emissions scenario.

An exception is in very high latitudes, it said. Heat waves would likely get hotter by 1-3 degrees Celsius by mid-21st century and by 2-5C by late-21st century, depending on region and emissions scenario, it said.

Delegates from nearly 200 countries will meet in South Africa from November 28 for climate talks with the most likely outcome modest steps towards a broader deal to cut greenhouse gas emissions to fight climate change.

The IPCC report found human emissions have "likely" caused more extreme heat waves and sea surges, but is less sure about the link between man-made climate change and worse floods.

"There is evidence that some extremes have changed as a result of anthropogenic influences, including increases in atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases," it said.

Oh Really???

Full Report
ski holidays
Out of interest I just went looking for a thread I knew I started when it was looking very green prior to a Xmas trip. I started it on Nov 16th 2005 and that winter there was loads and loads and loads of snow

So I'm not worrying yet
snow report
Samerberg Sue's weather model http://www.meteox.com/forecastloop.aspx?type=1is is now....gulp Sad.... showing the precipitation missing the Alps entirely.....Pyrenees to be dumped on though.
ski holidays
Daily reports now in Swiss papers here, Le Matin and 24 Heures about the lack of the white stuff....Doom and gloom! Big problems as no significant rain since July!!!!!! Reservoir reserves low for cannons and ground apparently not frozen enough!!! Eeek, shops here are not selling skiwear and skis equipment like they do preseason either! I am escaping to the UK which is hotter than Jordan according to the Guardian today....Hope I return in a week and the snow has arrived. Fingers very tightly crossed as we are due to start ski school training in two weeks! Puzzled
snow conditions
Accuweather for Moutiers now showing some rain/snow for the end of November into December.....Is it ever gonna happen?? rolling eyes

http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/fr/rh%c3%b4ne-alpes/moutiers/forecast2.aspx
latest report
This thread just gets happier and happier........ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Well is it is going to be "hotter that Jordan" at least we are still in the negatives...
snow report
A cold arctic airmass has settled over southern BC and will linger for the early part of the weekend. We look for plenty of sun for Saturday and a mix of sun and cloud for Sunday. Winds will be lighter for the weekend. It will be cold with daytime highs minus 10 to minus 15 C. There will be a temperature inversion with the coldest temperatures in the valley

More inversions! rolling eyes
ski holidays
I used to work with a chap who had been skiing in Jordan.
snow report
Just booked our annual family skiing holiday during Christmas and New Year. I am confident that there will be enough snow at the end of next month, however: time to start worrying! Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

I am confident that there will be enough snow at the end of next month, however: time to start worrying!

Puzzled are you confident, or worrying? this thread is for people who are worried. wink where are you going?
ski holidays
i'm going to montgenevre 3rd Dec, for the weekend, not looking very snowy at the resort! and not much time left, got my fingers crossed
snow report
North America might be smart this season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, ooooooooh yes.
latest report
The European golden age of skiing is over.

The European climate is too dry and too warm and all the glaciers are melting.

I was in Munich just yesterday. It was roasting.

Head to North America and Japan.

North America and Japan are the new Alps.
snow conditions
ractys, take yer hikin' boots
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Out of interest I just went looking for a thread I knew I started when it was looking very green prior to a Xmas trip. I started it on Nov 16th 2005 and that winter there was loads and loads and loads of snow

So I'm not worrying yet

But Boris it's the 19th November today, so already missed it wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I am confident that there will be enough snow at the end of next month, however: time to start worrying!

Puzzled are you confident, or worrying? this thread is for people who are worried. wink where are you going?

December 24th. It's always time to start worrying if you are committed, that's why!
latest report
i'm off to val d'isere on the 6th january for the whole season...i hope there's some snow at least..... as for people saying the alps is done for, bit soon i think...two seasons of bad snow doesnt mean it's done for!
snow report
Quote:

This thread just gets happier and happier....
Hopefully!! Orange = very heavy. Bring it on pleeeeeease!! (and pretty please!!)

html][/url]
snow conditions
Haven't read through the thread, all I can say is that I watched this:
http://vimeo.com/32370570

Then looked at the Cham cams (where I will be for a couple of weeks in a mere 30 days) and wept. Truly wept. I'd better order those skins I've been eyeing...

P.S. when did WDF start making snowboards? Look bottom-left of the still frame of the Whistler vid, there's a very Preacher-looking topsheet on that snowboard)
snow report
mountainaddict, Think you might see that change a wee bit as the week progresses! Toofy Grin But it is still the best looking picture I've seen in a month - we've not seen hide nor hair of blue on the film for weeks now!
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, there is a meter of snow on Flachau today in the valley......anyone who has seen my FB page can confirm I am not lying *nods head* Laughing wink
snow report
kooky wrote:
Samerberg Sue, there is a meter of snow on Flachau today in the valley......anyone who has seen my FB page can confirm I am not lying *nods head* Laughing wink

Oh the eternal truth maker that is Facebook Very Happy
ski holidays
kooky, That was just under the snow cannon not all over the place! It will come, still early yet Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy