Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau

Poster: A snowHead
Hi carolyn, finally recovered and back to work today, we had a brilliant week apart from landing back a day late as the flight was cancelled due to Innsbruck conditions. Crystal were fab though and we stayed in a very nice hotel in Salzburg, could of skiied an extra day if we had known! We had such a laugh finding your place, didn't help that the snow was so thick or we would of garden hopped! Niederau is still as awesome as ever and it was really lovely to meet you, have a great rest of the season Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Yes I think we are talking about the one and only Andreas! He is still here and very much in the midst of everything, we are open at Easter so come along! Cold and clear today with outstanding snow. Carolyn
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just reallised there was another page on here! Glad you are back safe, Zobo and it was lovely to meet you too. Thanks again for the creme eggs, we are enjoying them very much. Will keep you up to date as much as I can, cheers for now, Carolyn
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm glad the snow is great. I'm really excited now. Flying out tomorrow, and will definately be having lessons with the reds!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been looking at a deal staying at the Hotel Sonschein with Crystal week commencing 27/2 - Hotel gets good reviews with Trip Adviser. Has anyone ever stayed there - and do you have any comments/opinions? Also can you get a bus down to Hopfgarten to link in to Ski Welt - how long does it take and if not is it easy to get taxi's? Finally do the ski buses run regularly to Auffach? - Many thanks for any information posted.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbandit, I have just returned from a week there it was excellent. I did read a few reviews beforehand and as always they are very mixed. The 3 of us who stayed there were more than impressed. The food was great, the staff were lovely (nothing is too much trouble) and the whole atmosphere is welcoming. The spanish waiters even taught us the basics of snowboarding one afternoon! (they must of laughed about that one afterwards!) Our room was spacious and in the new wing, to be honest had a few luxuries that are quite alien to me on a ski holiday! Have you been to Niederau before? Auffach is a great place to ski too and very easily accesible by the free ski bus through Niederau, you can download a bus timetable on the net to check times, they were regular tho, your niederau ski pass covers this area too.
I have stayed there and skiied on the Welt, takes about 25 mins in a taxi. I am sure the Sonneschein were looking at taking interested peoples names down to arrange a cab share for them wanting to go. Gill is English (the owner) so sorting that kind of thing out wouldn't be a problem. I would most certainly return there and feel a bit spoilt now, Have fun Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zobo, Thanks for the information - and yes I have skied this valley many years ago. We stayed at Auffach on an early family ski-ing holiday when I was 16. Got back from Galtur 4 weeks ago and now need another fix - I like the idea of linking in to the ski welt area. We don't go to the the lower level resorts normally but as the snow is so good at the moment we thought we would give it a go. Plus the Crystal offer is a bit of a bargain - checked Inghams for the same hotel and it is nearly twice the price. Happy days Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 14-02-10 12:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey snowbandit...I've just got back from Niederau and the skiing was most excellent (even better snow conditions in Auffach!).

I had a few beers down at the Sonnschein and the people staying there only had good things to say about it. It looked very clean. The only downside is that it's a bit further to walk to the slopes.

The buses to Auffach run every 30 minutes, like clockwork.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Carolyn.....my wife Ami would like to thank you for the patience you showed in teaching her to ski. She was even parallel skiing by the end of the week, which I think is miraculous. The Red skischool (and yourself in particular) rescued what would have been a bad experience of a first skiing holiday for Ami. She ended up enjoying it so much that she wants to return again next year! And this time, we won't forget the creme eggs!

And can you please do me a favour and thank Leon for a week of amazing ski tuition...I can safely say that our whole group really enjoyed having him as our instructor.

Coop
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zobo, Coop1972, - we have hit the button this morning for the Hotel Sonnschein for the week 27th of Feb - plan is to get the Kitzbuhler all star lift pass and after a couple of days ski-ing Neiderau and Auffach - we can then go out and explore the massive area available on this pass. Looking at the flight times for Manchester we should be able to spend the Saturday morning on departure ski-ing a few runs above Neiderau. Thanks to both of you for your valuable feedback - can't wait Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbandit, Lucky you, have a brilliant time
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coop1972, it was my pleasure to teach Ami, she is a lovely lady and we had great fun. So glad you will all be able to ski together as a family as your kids did very well, too! Will speak to Leon for you and I know he had a great time with your group, as for conditions here, they are the same - cold with perfect snow and sunshine mixed with clouds. Snowbandit, enjoy the Sonnschein and your holiday! Carolyn
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carolyn, Thankyou - I am sure we will Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi folks,

Just booked to go to Niederau on 27 Feb - can't wait! I realise this is really the wrong thread, but looking for advice about a ski school - can anyone recommend anyone?

12 days and counting Very Happy

thanks, Geoff
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geoff10, Hi Geoff, the red ski school are fantastic, Carolyn who posts on here is one of their instructors, you will have 1st class tuition. Have a look at her webcam which gives lots of different views of Niederau, The Auhof. Have a great time, feeling ever so slightly jealous! Crying or Very sad
snow report
Geoff10 - I too would suggest the Red ski school. They are nothing short of brilliant! You can email them beforehand and Erika is very friendly (ski.schule@tirol.com) and nothing is too much trouble for them, as my darling wife will testify!

My lot had such a good time that we are already planning to go back there next year.
snow report
Were booked to go on the 6th March to stay in the Sonnchein - looking forward to it! We have stayed there for our first ever ski trip 4 years ago and it was great. We also learnt to ski with the Reds, who were excellent.

With all this free advertisment Carolyn, you would think the Red Ski School would offer a snowhead discount...
latest report
Hi Geoff,
You are fairly local to me, where are you staying in Niederau? No doubt we'l be on the same flight from Newcastle, hoping to get an extra 1/2 day skiing at either end of the week with the flight times being what they are! Red ski school is the original and in my mind the best (though it's 20 years since I went), both of my kids learnt there.
One for Carolyn though, my wife has just announced that she facies trying langlauf, is tuition for this done in groups or on a private basis?
snow conditions
Hi all. My wife and I are off to Niederau on 27th. Our second ski holiday this year (previously skied Fiss - a well kept secret). We are experience skiers but couldn't resist the deal on offer for Niederau. Staying in the Harfenwirt. We will be keen to explore again the Ski Welt and are interested in any info on how to get across to Hopfgarten. Thomson say in their brochure there is now a daily free bus service but I have since been told this is only on Thursday and Friday. Can anyone clarify this? And any idea how much a taxi would cost? Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
Hi folks,

Red it is then! Come on Carolyn, with support like that, you're allowed to blow your own trumpet!

Chris_n, that's right, the flight times are great - just hoping there's enough petrol left in the tank when I get there, after an 0330 start on Saturday morning! I'm travelling on my own, and staying at the Hotel Austria. I'll be wearing a rather bright blue jacket - come and say hello if you see me

10 days and counting Very Happy

Thanks to all
snow report
puplett,
We are staying in the Harfenwirt too, may be interested in splitting the cost of a taxi if the bus service is not adequate.

geoff10,
no doubt see you somewhere on route, I'll be making sure I,ve got something left in the tank too good an opportunity to miss an extra 1/2 day at each end!
ski holidays
puplett, We are staying at the Hotel Sonnschein the sister Hotel to the Harfenwirt from 27th Feb. We e-mailed the hotel and she confirmed that the free taxi runs only on Thursday and Friday to Hopfgarten. We will be checking out the local taxi service ourselves as we would like to link in to the Skiwelt earlier in the week. We do know there is a bus to Worgl which takes just over 10 mins and then there is a train to the gondola station at Hopfgarten. This also takes about 10 mins. Would be interested in joining up to share a taxi - we are just back from Galtur and a return trip to Ischgl was 40 euros, that was for a distance of about 4 miles. Splitting the cost seems the best option - if not the only one!!! Laughing
snow report
Snowbandit/Chris n
I also emailed the local tourist board. They quoted me a taxi price of €15 for up to 4 people. A taxi share seems like the best way forward.
snow report
puplett, that seems quite reasonable. Noticed from your previous post that you have recently skied Fiss. We did a road trip a few years ago and skied Fiss/Ladis/Serfaus - as you say a great area must get back there some time.
snow report
Hi, I've just returned from a fantastic week in Niederau. The snow conditions were brilliant, and the red school as brilliant as ever. The apres ski in the sport cafe was great fun as usual. Having never been during half term week before, the lift queues were a lot more than I was used to, but we still didn't queue for more than approx 5 minutes or so.

Thank you Carolyn for all your weather updates, much appreciated, and I'm sorry that I never got round to coming up to visit you. Next time for sure. I hope that your son didn't eat all the mini cream eggs before he got home on friday evening, and that there were at least a few left for you! Enjoy the rest of your season, and I'll definately be back again next year.
snow report
Snowbandit Got to say of all the resorts I have skiied Fiss has to be the best. Super fast lift system, no queues, helpful liftees, great piste preparaton and at least 3 or 4 sublime (and long) runs. But dont say it too loud I am happy to keep it secret and keep the pistes to myself!
snow report
Hi,
Gosh thanks very much for the creme eggs Blodyn, Martin handed them over with only a small struggle and we all thank you very much for thinking of us and bringing them over. Glad you had a great time - snow and sunshine is still going strong and we had a top up of snow the other day and all is white and beautiful for a new week.
Thanks to everyone who is so kind about our ski school - we all really enjoy teaching so keep on coming!
Cheers for now, Carolyn
snow conditions
Hi All

I am planning my first visit to Niederau in a few weeks - 13th March, what are the chances of their still being snow in the village / lower slopes then ? not expecting anyone to be able to predict snow fall that far ahead but anyone been here in previous years at around this time

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi,

Well it has been a very sunny week so far and today no exception. The snow is soft in the village but holding up well and still lovely up the mountain. We would expect there still to be good snow in March as we don't finish our season til the end so I hope you will experience plenty snow. Will keep you posted.......
Carolyn
snow report
Thanks for the reply Carolyn, looking forward to coming over so lets hope the snow holds out or you get some more soon.....
snow report
Hi,

We had rain in the village today and snow on the mountain, quite a lot of both, actually! The forecast is sunshine tomorrow and sunday with temperatures dropping and more snow towards the end of the week. Cheers, Carolyn
snow report
Hi, Well agter a few days of warm weather the snow has returned with a vengence overnight and all is white again - the lower slopes were a bit slushy in the afternoon yesterday. Cold and clear this morning with forecast of more snow tomorrow. Will let you know, I am hoping for sunshine tomorrow as it is the Ski School Race! Cheers, Carolyn
ski holidays
Just returned from a week in Niederau. Skied every condition possible from ice & grass on the first day (Lannerkopfl Hochberg Abfart (Piste 15)) to knee deep powder on the Stock (Skiroute 1 under the gondola) on Friday! Had a trip to Hopfgarten with puplett, & others, a memorable day, skied all the way to Going & got lost in the fog on the way back making quite a full day of it! geoff10, couldn't belive you were sat next to us on the plane, nice to put a face to a name.
For anyone heading out next week the conditions look promising to say the least. will definitely be back next year.
ski holidays
Good to hear you had such a good time, we have had lots of new snow over the weekend and now have cold - minus 9 - and sunshine. Carolyn
latest report
We have just spent a good weekend in Niederau - arrived Thursday afternoon - had snow for most of Friday and Saturday - the top of Auffach was not nice on Saturday morning but the run down through the trees to the bottom from the middle statlon was great. And Sunday the sun came out and Niederau was just as we remembered it all those years ago. Also good to meet up with a few old friends. Stayed at the Simmerlwirt for the first time and would certainly return - I loved being able to swim outside with snow piling down on my head.
snow conditions
Got back from Neiderau on Saturday. Had a good week all round despite our flight from Manchester being diverted to Munich due to problems with the flaps. We had to travel back to Innsbruck by coach and we were a little alarmed when the digital clock/temperature gauge was reading plus 12c at 1.30 a.m. Got off the coach at Innsbruck when we realised a strong fohn wind was blowing. Got on another coach and arrived at the Hotel Sonnschein at 3.30 a.m. Unpacked our gear got to bed at 4.30 up at 7.30 - breakfast - coach to Auffach - clicking in at 9.30. As expected very spring like conditions were evident although the snow was good down to mid station and then got quite heavy lower down. My ageing Rossi B2'S as usual taking everything in their stride although Mrs Snowbandit seemed to blast through the slushy snow on her Line Celebrities with less effort. Sat outside at lunchtime with a well earned weizen beer and a pizza. Similar day on Monday - also skied Neiderau for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Tuesday was the day we started to make full use of our Kitzbuhel 'All Star' ski passes - we skipped breakfast at the Hotel and got the bus down to Worgl had a quick coffee and continental breakfast at the local cafe and then took another ski bus up to Westendorf managing to click in just before ten at the top of the Gondola. We then skied over to Ki-West were we linked in to the the Kitzbuhel circuit and took the 3S lift and then skied across to the Pass Thurn sector. Had a well earned lunch of delicious goulasch soup mit brot. Skied across to Jochburg and then took the bus back to Kitzbuhel before finally taking the Hannenkamm gondola and then a chair before a final blast down to Kirchberg. Bus back to Neiderau and we then clicked in again to ski across a sloping field that took us to within 25 yards of the Hotel at 18.15 - a bit of an epic day.
Overnight a cold front came in and we awoke to snowfall with 2/3 inches of fresh powder at village level - this was Wednesday after our big safari on Tuesday we stayed local and enjoyed some very good snow conditions at Auffach. 5/6 inches had fallen on the upper mountain and we were able to make fresh tracks all over the mountain. Another great day with a few beers enjoyed in the evening at the Irish bar and the Cave bar.
On Thursday and Friday we made use of the coach provided by Hotel Harfenwirt (the sister Hotel of the Hotel Sonnschein). Thursday we skied on the ski welt criss crossing over as far to Going and back to Hopfgarten via Brixen. The weather conditions were quite challenging including white out conditions, great powder higher up hard pack and heavy slushy snow lower down. Friday same again but linking in to Westendorf and in to the Kitzbuhel sector via Ki-West. We experienced knee deep powder higher up in this sector. On our return we knew we were pushed for time although we would have just made our 16.40 coach departure if I had not taken a spectacular fall when I caught an edge on the hardpack - result both ski's released and I somersalted on the way down to Brixen. A german guy stopped to check me out -fortunately I was just shaken up - glad I had my helmet on though. Managed to meet up with The Mrs as at that time she was ahead of me - and I was greeted with a charming and lady like - where the efing ell have you been? We missed the coach but realised I was quite lucky as we saw someone on a stretcher near the top station above Hopfgarten. Another late finish - arrived back at the Hotel in the dark.
All in all we had a great trip - we keyed our lift pass numbers in to the Bergbahnen web site that revealed 28241 vertical metres of descent (92654 vertical feet) and 79 lifts used - not too bad for a couple of saga louts Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 10-03-10 19:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowbandit, what an excellent report and good to hear of your far and wide travels, you did make the most of your passes. We have done similar in previous trips in our own car and were astonished at how early we could be up at the top of another resort.

Glad you were not the one on the stretcher - we met up with an old friend in Niederau who had broken her leg in a fall at Auffach earlier in the week and was taken to the gondola on the front of a piste basher - she said it was brilliant service and the driver was very medically knowledgeable.
ski holidays
Pamski, Thanks - now looking forward to the next trip. Life in the office is a little dull after last week Sad
ski holidays
snowbandit, so you must have been the other couple who made it as far as Going on Thursday. Was intending to drop down to all of the villages on the way back but by the time we got lost in the fog & skied down to Ellmau twice and one of the chairlifts on the Hartkaiser twice we thought we had better take the most direct route we could back to Hopfgarten. Hooked up with a German couple at Brixen & between us we managed to find our way. Was expecting a right earbashing off the wife but she was good as gold and fund the whole day to be quite an adventure. Stayed in Niederau on Friday & the wife insisted on taking me down closed & off piste runs, who was I to complain!
Pamski, Saw someone being loaded on to the front of the piste basher at Aufach, I think it was Monday, may have been your friend.
Heading up to scotland this weekend for a much needed fix after a week back at work.
snow report
Chris_n, I hope the visibility is better for you in Scotland at the week end than it was on the ski-welt last thursday- have a good trip we will be heading up there hopefully early next month. The conditions in Scotland are amazing at the moment.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy