Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
i want free chocolate:( and a cow suit!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me too.

Lower slopes, especially in Peisey starting to get a little icy today, probably due to volume of skiers. Best conditions here in years for this time of year and I've been coming out here for a decade. Nothing a fresh dump wouldn't sort.

The Vanoise is shut for the season as they can't do repairs until spring for some reason. An instructor who lives in our village explained that 27 of the small cables that make up the main cable had frayed and they had no idea why. L'Equipage (bar/restaurant under Transarc) guys were pretty hacked off about it. They reckon more come over from La Plagne as the rents are cheaper there and that a lot of them get to them for lunch.

I reckon it's not a bad deal for folks this side. Peisey goes back to being a fun playground without the La Plagne crowds. Only disappointment is that they've starved the resort of lift investment since the vanoise as they attempt to recoup the money only to have the blooming thing not working now anyway!

1800 can be a bit impersonal at times but I've found an ace ski hire/sale place called Le Petit Passage near the ski school. Lovely people - if you want to hire from there say Jim sent you and they'll be extra nice. I'm not on commission on honest - we've got on ever since they salvaged by carvers from some early season damage a few years back.

Jim
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surfstar, how you settled in at sharons place?, are you in the 8 person or the two ? although i think she uses the 2 for herself, Sharon if your reading are you out there yet? surfstar, have you driven there? what have you done about parking? can you pm me your email addy please.
regards
andrew
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Back to sunny weather today. Cold before lunch, with pleasant temperatures in the afternoon. Sadly I left the apartment this morning before my brain had fully woken up and forgot to suncream - somewhat pink this evening Embarassed

The snow remains in very good condition above 1800m on piste, but getting icy in places below that. It also seemed much busier today, with the first lift queues of the holiday season (although that might have been poor choice of lifts on my part). Fortunately it's not all bad news - the Milka Cow still roams the slopes handing out free chocolate to children of all ages Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the Milka Cow still roams the slopes handing out free chocolate to children of all ages

Evil or Very Mad Not even set her run up in La Plagne yet Sad It seemed busier here as well, Bellcote was all queues at 3pm first time we have seen 'proper' lift queues this season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, any news from over 2000 way? - how's the artificial lake making, and what if any, has been the effect on the piste map?

But I guess I'll find out for myself in 14 days 23 hours and 5 mins...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JimW, 9 days 23 hours and 48 mins.......... Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gwaelod, Very Happy

Gotta love those countdown widgets!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimW, Madeye-Smiley

This years piste map. Couple of little blues/nordic track runs above 1950 between plan and edelweiss gone. Once open, click on the map it enlargens

http://www.lesarcs.com/IMG/jpg/plan_lesarcs08_copie.jpg
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gwaelod, Nice map - best I've seen this year.

Not many pistes seem all that different then, but looks as if they've removed the skier/boarder cross from the Vallee de l'Arc run (which I understand was the source of most of the wrist injuries in the resort last year Sad - probably because it was so accessable and visible from the Arcabulles lift, there were many people on it who maybe shouldn't have been...), and are now advertising the one next to Plan Verte. That one was awesome last year and if you're not careful you can pick up some serious speed.
But it wasn't marked on the piste map, and because it melded into the terrain, it was difficult to find / follow unless someone showed it to you. So, far fewer users.

But if you get a chance this year, give it a go - just remember to bail rather than try for the "whoopee doos" at the end if things get a little out of hand!

But what's a "Piste Alpina" - at the bottom of Plagnettes?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JimW, the main boardercross course is indeed alongside the top of Plan Verte - but closed off today. It's now much more obvious - the big flags at the start kinda give it away. No obvious terrain works for the new reservoir, but obviously it's all covered in (lots) of snow. No idea what the "piste alpina" is, even though I've just skied on/passed it!?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow conditions much the same today, with yet another lovely blue sky. And the Milka Cow was still doing his rounds...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, Sounds lovely. Very jealous of my brother arriving there tonight for New Year. Watch out for 3 crazy boarders & skiing S-I-L
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latter part of next week looking interesting Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;page=1;type=winter;country=France;resort=Les+Arcs;sess=#forecast

geri, We arrive Sunday week. Will be interested to see if the Vanoise being shut makes a big difference to Peisey area. Also would imagine it will make the 2000 bowl quieter as I know from experience the TO's on La Plagne side tell everyone there to aim straight for the 2000 bowl.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone know what the NF of Bellcote is like with the link closed?
snow conditions
snowcrazy, Think been covered elsewhere in this thread. Very, very dangerous and not to be done without a guide.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33668&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=vanoise
latest report
rob@rar, JimW,

Quote:
Piste Alpina

A warning to the very flat bit around that lift Puzzled Alpine/Nordic skiing/polling?
snow report
gwaelod, on your piste map (which is great for me to salivate over until 2nd Feb!), what do the orange diamonds mean? Unpisted blacks, a gesture to USA or something more scientific?
latest report
sproggski,

The maps I got here on the Les Arcs site, being trying to figure out what the diamonds mean to. Think you may be right

http://www.lesarcs.com/Ski-map#b

Heres another map for you to play with Cool

http://www.paradiski.com/skiplan/skiplan.htm
snow report
gwaelod, from memories of last year, the diamonds seem to tie up with likely mogulfields, hence unpisted. The one that doesn't fit is the Fond Blanc above the snow park, which always seems to be mogulled.

Can't wait for a month's time. I'm in the doghouse cos I've been more excited about it than Xmas for the three children. Oh well, bygones Twisted Evil
snow conditions
General question: with the Vanoise being shut and the Paradiski skipass not being sold, will a 6 day Les Arcs pass get me a free or discounted day at Espace Killy, Ste Foy, etc?
ski holidays
sproggski wrote:
General question: with the Vanoise being shut and the Paradiski skipass not being sold, will a 6 day Les Arcs pass get me a free or discounted day at Espace Killy, Ste Foy, etc?

Yes. The lifty pass office told me that it would give you a day in Espace Killy or (and?) Trois Vallee free of charge. But confirm this before making firm plans as the person I spoke to didn't have great English so I might have misunderstood.
snow report
snowcrazy, I thought NF Bellecote could only be tackled from LP side Puzzled Certainly when my husband has done it with a guide, thats the way they came down into the Nancroix valley.

gwaelod, We get there either 16th or 17th - cant wait Toofy Grin I'm just hoping the lurgy I've been plagued with the last few days will have gone by then rolling eyes
snow report
geri, What did your husband think of the run from the NF Bellecote? You are right it can only be done from the La Plagne side
snow report
gwaelod, Loved it - although it scared him the first time:skele: The look on his face on his return says it all snowHead snowHead He's done it a few times now - although not always by quite the same route. He always goes with a guide.
ski holidays
Despite it not having snowed for more than two weeks the pistes are holding up really well, although busy sections and those pistes below 1800m are getting hard-packed and icy. Fortunately the cold weather since the last snowfall is keeping things in relatively good nick, with the snowline down to the valley floor.

More snow would be nice, and would freshen up the good snow depths that we have for this time of year. The forecast is for snow showers at some point in the next 48 hours, with continued low temperatures.

Didn't see the Milka Cow today. Maybe he's grazing other slopes...?
snow report
I wish he'd come to Tignes. Sad
snow conditions
Spikyhedgehog, A SHE surely Toofy Grin

rob@rar, The La Rosiere site is showing the runs down to Seez as open. It may be a mistake, but I cannot recall seeing that before.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,

Snow forecast for tonight/tomorrow and end of next week looks amazing at present Shocked Shocked . All can change though...

Les Arcs Weather Forecast
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
A SHE surely Toofy Grin

No udders, it has horns and there was a bloke inside it. So I suppose I should really call it the Milka Bull but that doesn't sound as friendly Smile
snow report
Quote:
it has horns and there was a bloke inside it.
Pervert Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Report from Plan Peisey is that it was very quiet this afternoon Toofy Grin Snow good, but off piste all skied out, I'm told.
snow report
geri wrote:
Report from Plan Peisey is that it was very quiet this afternoon Toofy Grin Snow good, but off piste all skied out, I'm told.

Saturday, so it was fairly quiet all around the resort. Tomorrow will be different.
snow conditions
gwaelod,

Quote:
Piste Alpina

I am thinking there was a weather station type thingy around about there last year, and also a marked off area - as if they were measuring 'real' snow depths that were not affected by bashers or skiers / boarders. Long-term trend analysis perhaps... on an unadulterated piece of 'alpine land' ?

rob@rar: leave some for us! - less than two weeks now, assuming BAA don't cock it up completely for everyone.
ski holidays
JimW, 8 days, 10 hours 45 mins till I see 2000. Shall be looking closely for Piste Alpina Laughing
snow conditions
Snowed a little overnight, just a few centimetres. I don't think it will do much to change skiing conditions as it's not much more of a dusting from what I can see at resort level.
snow report
I'd guess about 5cm of new snow overnight which has temporarily refreshed the pistes, but more snow is required to bring things back to perfect. Generally good conditions, but some hard-pack and icy bits. This morning was rather nice, skiing mostly above the clouds.

Off-piste is lumpy and crusty, with a thin layer of new snow to disguise the bumps! Lots of fun, but after a morning skiing underneath the Col des Frettes chair my knees are pretty sore and I think I deserved the large shot of rum in my morning hot chocolate Embarassed Although it's the first day of New Year week it was very quiet this morning. The Frettes chair was ski straight on every time, and even the Vagere chair out of Arc 1800 had no more than a minute or two to wait. I'm not sure where everyone was this morning, but they weren't skiing where I was:

Although the easily accessible off-piste is skied out it's still possible to stumble (in every sense of the word Embarassed ) onto nice pitches of bump-free hero snow:

latest report
rob@rar, Looks lovely Toofy Grin

Just as well I'm not there yet though as even the gentle climb on Acres Down had me coughing & panting like a a good'un this morning Shocked Hopefully 18days will improve the situation Confused
snow report
Not a snow report as such but a photo taken a few minutes ago looking up to Mt Blanc. I rather like the view, as I sit here drinking a cold beer Smile

latest report
Lovely photo, rob@rar. Candidate for next year's snowHead's cards/calendar?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy