Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is anywhere in Europe decent at the moment?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Hurtle, ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Boris, yeah, it's much easier to make these decisions closer to the time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
I’ve not been in the Alps since 22nd January so can’t comment on current conditions (up until then I think the season had been good at higher elevations, poor at the lowest elevations). But your time frame of early/mid March is still some way off, and much can change before then. I suspect you’d get more meaningful information from following the weather forecast thread on the forum than the discussion here. From my very limited meteorological understanding there appears to be indications of a change in the final week of February, with a period of cold and snowy weather looking more likely. Two or three days of moderate to heavy snow could transform conditions, particularly on higher slopes where I think the snow is still at average depths, or higher. As has been the case all season, head high for the most enjoyable conditions (but have access to trees in case the weather comes in hard).

I understand the dilemma if there’s an alternative you’d enjoy more if the snow conditions are very compromised. I’d not sit on the beach in the rain as there’d almost certainly something I’d enjoy more if I was on a seaside holiday. But I think it’s way too soon to make that call, especially as you have a lot of flexibility in your travel plans. FWIW, I was in the Spanish Pyrenees last week with the worst snow conditions I’ve had there. Skiing had a different set of challenges to what I would have hoped, and we had a different set of rewards to what I would have liked, but there were rewards nevertheless. Sunny lunches on the terrace; relatively warm evening strolls around the tapas bars; focusing on changing technique to get grip at what ever point around the turn you wanted; adapting your skiing skills to cope with the variety of conditions throughout the day, starting with very hard refrozen snow, then softening snow with loads of grip, and finishing with mounds of heavy, sugary snow. A range of challenges in very poor conditions, but still plenty of fun to be had.

Where in the Spanish Pyrenees did you go?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer wrote:
Anyway for those who are still following we've booked a week in Ischgl.

Have a great time, this has been a "fun" thread!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Baron von chippy wrote:
Belch wrote:
Zell / Kaprun looking like its getting a top up at the weekend - will need it after this week and just in time for my arrival on Friday Very Happy Very Happy snowHead

Kaprun was brilliant on Friday last week. all off piste filled in and skiable. Crevasses covered over. snow in great condtion

Is the bolded bit a good thing though?

In my ignorance, I'd have thought assumed fresh snow covering a crevasse would be a hidden danger and accident waiting to happen. But I'm happy to admit somewhat uninformed about these things.

Not that I am an expert either (I did ski over a crevasse, or perhaps better described a fracture, once!) and have done the VB a couple of times. I think some lines are only skiable once these fractures/crevasses have a "snow bridge".

But yes they are a hazard.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@agustin,
Quote:

Where in the Spanish Pyrenees did you go?

He led an Inside Out Skiing holiday in Baqueira/Beret (but we stayed in Veilha). It was wonderful - I was one of the punters - despite the less-than-perfect snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:

We’re all hoping it goes swimmingly so we don’t have to do a 7 page thread on « why did I go  Mad » snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I look forward to a trip report, and if it gives rise to 7 pages of discussion, that's absolutely fine. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
Kramer wrote:

We’re all hoping it goes swimmingly so we don’t have to do a 7 page thread on « why did I go  Mad » snowHead

Seeing as you contributed about 6 out of the 7 pages, I'm not sure you've got room to talk. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy