Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIS Ski WC 2023/24 Thread

Poster: A snowHead
At the end of the first run Dave Ryding in 10th position, Billy Major in 16th position.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
Better news on Aleks

Official communication from the Norwegian federation

Aleksander Aamodt Kilde was operated at the hospital in Bern on Saturday evening.
– Aleksander has had his shoulder dislocated, and a cut in his calf. He has no fractures, but is bruised. Kilde is in good hands at the hospital in Bern, says the alpine national team's doctor Marc Jacob Strauss.

Further and more detailed information about the injuries will be provided later.

I'm surprised by that, given how much force was in the impact. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although a dislocated shoulder is not trivial, as it damages the rotator cuff musculature, which normally requires several months of physio exercises to regain the full range of movement (speaking from personal experience).

Edit: as regards the cut to Kilde's calf the Eurosport commentator just now was saying that's a bit surprising as the racers are supposed to wear anti-cut clothing (possibly using Kevlar?) underneath their catsuit. Anyone know any more about these things?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-01-24 21:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The races, Wengen and Zauchensee are shown live on ZDF today.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

racers as supposed to wear anti-cut clothing (possibly using Kevlar?) underneath their catsuit. Anyone know any more about these things?

I have some kitchen scissors that I've used to cut kevlar
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I see Shiffrin has recovered from the bout of Girlflu that kept her off work at the weekend
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, I didn't think there was a requirement to wear cut-resistent clothing yet, one example of them is this.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjs, thanks, interesting.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great race really enjoyed that.

Another great result for Gisin, who is having a great season after the last 2 seasons!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Possibly a new event, slalom without ski poles. Unbelievable bit of skiing from Gisin.
I imagine Leki were extremely pleased with the throw!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rogerdodger wrote:
Possibly a new event, slalom without ski poles. Unbelievable bit of skiing from Gisin.
I imagine Leki were extremely pleased with the throw!

One can only wonder how she would have placed without that mishap? Excellent recovery.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
I see Shiffrin has recovered from the bout of Girlflu that kept her off work at the weekend

I bet you got a partial when you hit "send". Pure class, dude. Dinner will be ready soon, wash up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were in the Grandstand, MrHL was in shot on the ORF broadcast. We watched the racers doing the inspection for the second run and as Mikaela finished and went past us we gave her a wave and she waved back - yay. Too cold for photos - our fingers were dropping off even with liners and hand warmers. Mr HL has Hestra gloves and lost all feeling then got awful pins and needles. I've always thought Hestra was hype
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shriffrin and Vlhova really are something special to watch when they're on form. Petra seemed to make loads of mistakes but still second by a mile.

Gisin had a belter of a second run too, a lot of flailing but really entertaining. And really impressive from Germane and Colturi to ski from bib 50 & 60 to 8th & 9th
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Currently watching the training for the Kitzbuhel diwnhill on the Eurosport player - it's ambient sound so all you can hear is skis cutting into sheet ice! Shocked My other half is out on skis watching from the piste beside and sending chaotic looking videos. Laughing

Really looking forward to seeing the races here in person, the preparation has been fascinating to watch... water cannons adapted from muck spreaders! https://hahnenkamm.com/en/news/a-water-cannon-from-the-hahnenkamm-brand/
snow report
@ElzP, am I correct in thinking/remembering you have grandstand tickets for Sunday's SL?

I was intending to come over for a ski and watch, but won't be doing so now. Hopefully next season Mrs Swskier will be working a Mon-Fri and we'd like to go watch some races, so this would be an obvious choice!
latest report
@swskier, we do, will let you know what it's like. Shame you're not over this weekend!

We've got normal tickets for Friday and Saturday also, and will probably doa bit of skiing and then some watching from the bottom. Am told it will be manic!
snow report
It's a shame to see Charlie Guest not quite there to make 2nd runs so far this season. Just before her shoulder injury last season she was really starting to knock on the door, leading both runs halfway down Levi before skiing out both times, and consistently banging in top 30 results, and a low 30s starting bib number.

This season she's not qualified for a 2nd run either skiing out or missing the time, despite having a pretty decent set of Europa cup results, top 10's and a podium!

Fingers crossed she'll build to a strong back end of the season.
snow report
@ElzP, I remember driving in the opposite direction, Saalbach to Zillertal on the Saturday Downhill day last season and the traffic heading towards Kitzbuhel was crazy!
ski holidays
@swskier, can imagine, we've secured a locker for the weekend so if the bus is knackered we can walk into town. Can't imagine any form of road transport moving quickly!
snow conditions
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

I bet you got a partial when you hit "send". Pure class, dude. Dinner will be ready soon, wash up.

Could you possibly translate into English please?

Dude
ski holidays
@Whitegoldsbrother, Ditto!
snow report
Latest update from Kilde

https://www.facebook.com/aleksanderkilde

Quote:
Thank you to everyone for your support…just a quick update from my end. I am now back in Innsbruck with my mom and dad, and will be undergoing surgery again this afternoon for two torn ligaments in my shoulder.
Considering the impact of the crash and the fact that I went into the net at 120 km/hr, I am doing surprisingly well. Of course, I am thankful there’s no fracture - but I did sustain multiple injuries, including a pretty severe laceration in my calf with some nerve damage that required urgent surgery, and a shoulder dislocation. I’ll spare you guys the graphic photos of the laceration here, because not sure many could stomach them. Eh oh!
I’m thankful for the overwhelming support from everyone, especially the doctors, surgeons, and nurses in Bern, as well as my physio Henrik. Mikaela and her family were with me when I woke up, and I am thankful my mom and dad are here now. Thank you, also, to my sponsors - you guys are the best and your support means the world to me not only during the highs, but even more so during the lowest of lows.
This is just a bump in the road…it might be one of the bigger bumps I’ve encountered, but right now it’s just about taking this one step at a time, day by day. It’s tough, but these opportunities show us what we’re made of. I’m looking forward to tackling this challenge and will try to enjoy the process as much as I can. Eh oh! Eh oh!
Good luck to the boys in Kitz this weekend - hoping for an entertaining show at the Hahnenkamm, and - most importantly - that everyone makes it down safely. I’ll be watching! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
Unlucky place to go down with only the rather substantial A(?) nets to go into but watching that crash it could have been a lot worse.
snow report
Wellhere we ate ready for thefirst Kitz downhill of the weekend. Watching the ski techs carrying the downhill skis around - does anyone know what width they are? They look ridiculous!
latest report
@ElzP, they're usually 218cm long, and a max of 65mm wide.

https://assets.fis-ski.com/image/upload/v1544601370/fis-prod/Specifications_for_Alpine_Competiton_Equipment_1.pdf

Page 9 gives you all the info
ski holidays
@swskier, thank you! I just plucked up the courage to ask - 50. Shocked That's nuts.
latest report
@ElzP, does the weather/visbility look good enough for the race to go ahead?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, it's not great at all, I suspect at best they will delay. The cloud looks like it's moving up, so the start currently has no vis at all but it's ok lower.

We shall see. We've befriended some Austrians with beer so it'll be a party whatever! And the rest of the weekend looks clear.

ETA - postponed til 12.30.
ski holidays
It's clear!

latest report
Lots of fun, stood between some happy French people and some rather disappointed Swiss. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
WHAT.A.RUN by Sarrazin. So smooth and absolutely perfect.

He reminds me of me in my younger days.
snow report
@AL9000, NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
Big day today.
latest report
Season over for Petra. ACL
snow report
@holidayloverxx, thanks for the update. Is there any news about Carmen Haro? Her crash made me question just how much FIS are really committed to maximising skier safety, when they have to run a gauntlet of knee snapping advertising banners before they can reach the safety netting.
snow report
@motyl, didn't know about her. I was skiing not watching
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, of course - enjoy your skiing! snowHead My time is yet to come this year.
ski holidays
Holy Cow - what a DH at Kitz today!!!

Watching Odermatt go and build-up such a margin and his celebration at the end was impressive.

I don't know what Sarrazin had for breakfast but simply wow wow wow - did not see him pull that off and simply crush Odermatt!

What a day for racing!

Also crazy on the Womens GS in Jasna the time spread between racers 1 to 4
latest report
@extremerob, amazing wasn't it! Apparently Sarazin said in an interview he'd found a 'secret' line - I'd have thought only missing a couple of gates would find nearly a second on Odermatt! Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy