Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
@Elsie80, currently snowing at 1500m. Pistes down to 1400m should receive a few cm over today and tomorrow. Pistes above 2000m should have great coverage. I would stick to your plan. Les arcs and Tignes would not be too different to loose out on any deposits etc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Light dusting overnight in 1950 - seems to have frozen too. Will be there from Saturday, will try to post relevant condition updates (when not skiing or politicking... oh! the local politics. Makes the UK seem positively sane and consensual)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arctic Roll, copropriété meeting then? Ours is Boxing Day and it looks like the big items are: locks onto the stair well entrances, a long term environmental plan and the usual argument between the north and south facing apartments over replacing the wooden balconies on the south facing apartments.

See you next week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, sounds like our parish council on steroids, arguing over 5metres of hedgerows when theres about 50km of hedgerow around the small village...

Assume you guys work the season there then, or live permanently/ work remotely?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@noodlehat, most of the items are non controversial but the management of a apartment block needs the agreement of the majority of the owners. Ours is well run, but others are problematic. And it is all carried out in French, with lots of acronyms and technical terms. At least I can understand the numbers. The agenda and appendices is over a cm thick.

We own an apartment that has to be managed, but only spend 5-6 weeks a year there and rent it out otherwise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@noodlehat, @johnE, yup - co-props, ASL (village committee), Owners Association. Leaseholders Group, connections with other village building's CS and owners' groups...
A lot of it I think is down to different cultural approaches: the French becoming very animated in meetings (but will actually be more performative than action oriented) and the Brits thinking "clearly this really matters" and either doing something (that was never the French intent - they were just letting off steam), or taking offence at what has been said.

I used to let it bother me, but I'm trying to break the habit!

As per JohnE, we only spend 5 or 6 weeks a year out there: but it is a substantial investment, so I think it right and proper to 'get involved'. Many don't: so IMHO have no right to complain when things go Pete Tong.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arctic Roll, I'm the only Brit in our co-prop so don't see any cultural divide, just complete baflement. The management committee makes reccomendations which are almost always accepted. The intersting bits are when someone wants to make a change to the building such as knocking two stdios together to make one apartment. Is doesn't make any difference to anyone else but there are still objections and seems to be a forum for neighbourly disputes.

I go through the agenda at home then make my votes by internet. My neighbour then calls in to see me after the meeting and tells me what happened and grumbles about those salauds from the south facing apartments. I take no interest in the village committee and just pay my fees.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A benefit that few can take advantage of-

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/20-decembre-20-euros-paradiski

But since we're using Ski a la Carte for this particular trip, we will get the benefit: which is nice (although it would be a right pain if our cumulative "9th day €1" coincides!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, Out of interest what's the issue between those with south facing balconies and those with north facing ones? Is it something to do with one taking the brunt of the elements and needing repairs more quickly?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only the south facing apartments have balconies and a lot of wood. The north facing apartments have the clasic leaning out Charlotte Perriand style structure and very little wood (though the wooden window frames are suffering on some apartments). Hence the south gets a lot of sunshine affecting the wood. The concrete of the north gets less weather damage. A greater proportion of the maintenance budget is spent on the south facing than the north but the costs are allocated pro-rata based on floor area.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, Thank you Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arrived yesterday and happy to be back in the mountains. Lifts don't start until Saturday so had some time to get setup for Christmas and grab a little video around the Chantel part of 1800.

http://youtube.com/v/rus-QBdPvqg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Awesome video! Looks amazing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant @rob@rar, the conditions look great. See you next week Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Only the south facing apartments have balconies and a lot of wood. The north facing apartments have the clasic leaning out Charlotte Perriand style structure and very little wood (though the wooden window frames are suffering on some apartments). Hence the south gets a lot of sunshine affecting the wood. The concrete of the north gets less weather damage. A greater proportion of the maintenance budget is spent on the south facing than the north but the costs are allocated pro-rata based on floor area.
Did you happen to see the Charlotte Perriand exhibition at the Design Museum a couple of years ago? It was brilliant.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I've already said so on FB, but that is a really terrific video. I need to return to Les Arcs. Maybe next year.
latest report
Hi, is it possible to get to Folie Douche as a pedestrian walking from 1800? Thanks
snow report
@dh900, Indeed, I was also wondering that as we fancy an evening meal at the La Fruitiere restaurant and found this link

https://www.lafoliedouce.com/en/arcs-contacts-booking.html#access

It looks as if an evening meal will not be possible.
latest report
@johnE, Good spot! I probably shouldve looked on their site.

Yes 7.30 last lift back down does seem early, but I guess it is on the piste not in the main resort.
latest report
dh900 wrote:
Hi, is it possible to get to Folie Douche as a pedestrian walking from 1800? Thanks

Yep Smile
ski holidays
'Twas a good day.

http://youtube.com/v/G13hM1JpV5c
ski holidays
@rob@rar, It looks wonderful.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, gorgeous
snow conditions
@johnE, it's not bad at all, especially considering the rain earlier in the week. I didn't ski on piste much but what I did ski was mostly good, with no hint of this week's deluge. The exception to this was the last 100m of Edelweiss which being a steep sided gully probably collected a lot of surface run-off water and was like an inclined ice-rink this morning. Off-piste was in better shape than I expected, with soft and dense snow around 20-30cm mostly on a firm base. I lapped around the Varet gondola a few times skiing the terrain between Cretes and Arandelieres and there were some sections of rain crust which were difficult to spot so you needed to keep your wits about you. After the first lap I found that skiing the ridges was a better option that the gullies as I assume the rain gathered more in the gullies and the snow there was more transformed than elsewhere.

Overall, a pretty good opening day, in rather lovely weather conditions: blue sky and Goldilocks temperatures. More of the same for the next few days.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, These are the excellent snow reports we look for on this forum.
snow conditions
Can anyone advise on places to store luggage at les arcs 1800. We are staying there for a short break leaving on a Monday and want to leave luggage somewhere during the day when we leave as flight isn’t until late.

We are unsure if our apartment (Pierra Menta) building has a space for this (person we’ve booked through doesn’t seem to know).

I see there is a left luggage place referenced on the les arcs website but that only seems to be open on Saturdays

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
ski holidays
Sorry one final food based question. Are there any restaurants peope would recommend on the snow front close to the sk school meet point in Arc 1800? Starting to get very excited about the upcoming trip.
snow conditions
@pmercer, The Golf Hotel does a reasonable lunch - and it's nice sitting outside on the terrace, if the weather is fine. IIRC it can be accessed by steps up from the snow (as well as through the hotel).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh that first video is spectacular Rob. That's it, I'm moving out there. Now to bring the rest of the family on board...
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
'Twas a good day.

http://youtube.com/v/G13hM1JpV5c

Is that... a snowboarder with poles at the 0.53 mark?
snow conditions
@Owlette, Think it is a selfie stick with video cam Puzzled
latest report
Out today for first time this year, as Rob says very little evidence of last weeks crap weather, and sad I missed yesterday as the powder that was left was pleasingly light.

I was expecting dust on crust and didn’t find any.

Pistes skiing well, crisp and grippy in the morning and softening off a little in the sun.

Little ice about, the pisteurs have done a great job, and if it hadn’t rained last week the conditions would have been excellent. As it is they’re still great for mid-December
snow report
Another bluebird day albeit warmer than you’d like in December, although it’s nice to sit on the terrace of the Bullé cafe enjoying an expressi and their awesome playlist.

Pistes getting quite crisp first thing, due to warm afternoons and the overnight freeze. They soften as the day goes on, so follow the sun. Lift-served off-piste mostly tracked out, forecast looking hopeful for a refresh at the end of the week. Happy days!
snow conditions
Just got to Les Arcs after leaving a friend's house in Ashford - door to door was 12 hours. It was a OK drive but we had some spots of fog on the higher ground and the temperture hovering around 3 degrees all the way. There seemed to be a lot of lorries on the road, which I suppose is because we were travelling mid week and during the day.

Arc 1600 is very very quiet with few people about. It looks as if we've had a bit of thaw - freeze as the pavements were sheet ice. I fell over just carrying stuff from the car to the aparment.

Really looking forward to skiing tomorrow.
latest report
Does anyone know where I can find a current navette timetable online. There isn't one on yuge
ski holidays
@johnE,

yes - took me ages to find them myself the other day:

https://www.calameo.com/read/005689616a71e3376be61?page=1

https://www.calameo.com/read/005689616911ee77d5169?page=1
snow report
johnE wrote:
I fell over just carrying stuff from the car to the aparment.

Glad there was no damage before you'd even strapped your skis on!
ski holidays
@timlongs, I see your beers are available in the Altiport rooftop bar. Liquid Fog is a terrific name for a beer in a ski resort. Will treat myself this weekend when the weather comes in Happy
latest report
@Layne, I did not .injur myself but a friend did,once, break his collar bone in the first morning getting the bread.

I got a printed festival timetable from the tourist office. The difference is due to the film festival and later screenings.

I will be finishing a bit early today (running the new knee in) if anyone fancies a drink in either the smoking boar or cairn in 1600 let me know.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Enjoy!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy