Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
radar wrote:
@Gow87, I would in add one more to the suggestions , the top of the Zwölferkogel, take the 12erKogel (in Hinterglem) or the Zwölfer-Nord.

if your are on the 12er turn right out of the lift station, a short walk and you will have a view down the valley, as it's the top of the mountain there is a cross there, the picture is the summer view, taking a picture of the cross is optional Laughing

I think this could be the winner as we're staying opposite and she's not one for big crowds so was thinking bright and early may be best...If I remember right, the sun would be rising behind the mountains so the valley would be in shadow?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tatmanstours wrote:
@Gow87, one of my guests last season got down on one knee on the ridge between Schönleiten and Leogang. It seemed a good spot, with a nice view in the background.
If that appeals, you bear to the right at the top of the Polten 8er chairlift, as if you’re heading for piste 168 to Viehhofen. And there’s a relatively narrow ridge with the Leogang valley and ski area spread out below.
Another excellent spot is the top of the Kohlmaisbahn, where there’s a lovely, dramatic view of the Leoganger Steinberge, no danger of anyone photobombing, and no doubt plenty of people to take a photo or two.

Cheers! This is the area we didn't get to explore too much last year! I was hoping to take her down the long blue down to verderglemm and then up the schonleitenbahn, so that'll put us in the area. Do you know what the blue run from there to the polten is like? She's not too comfortable on the flats on a snowboard so I try and pick routes with a decent gradient.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austrian Seagull wrote:
If she says ‘yes’ at the top of the mountain it will all be downhill from there.

This joke is entirely the reason I want to do this. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gow87, in the photo the sunny side of the valley is on the left , so yes I think.
Have a look at Genus12 for a celebratory glass or a bite, it's different to the other mountain restaurants.
TT suggestion at the top of the Kholmais you could go to the Montana which overlooks Saalbach and up the valley towards Hinterglemm
If you aren't on half board then Dinner at the Xandl Stadl is a great spot the food is very good, you can walk up from Hinterglemm, cash only but they have their own ATM
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
radar wrote:
@Gow87, in the photo the sunny side of the valley is on the left , so yes I think.
Have a look at Genus12 for a celebratory glass or a bite, it's different to the other mountain restaurants.
TT suggestion at the top of the Kholmais you could go to the Montana which overlooks Saalbach and up the valley towards Hinterglemm
If you aren't on half board then Dinner at the Xandl Stadl is a great spot the food is very good, you can walk up from Hinterglemm, cash only but they have their own ATM

Wow, Genus12 looks lovely. I assume I'd need to book in advance?

Xandl Stadl is already on the list - we enjoyed it last year so will definitely be visiting again!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely the best place to propose would be the top of the Seekar. Pretty backdrop, and if your relationship can survive travelling on a t-bar together, you should be fine. (Seriously though, anything with the Steinbirge in the background should work)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gow87, I’ve started to book Genus, especially if we want a table outside on a sunny day, but there’s usually space, last winter they were doing breakfast on certain days and you can pay by card.

Glad you like the Xandl Stadl, it and the Tiroler Buam are our two favourites, though we might be adding the Hotel Unterschwarzachhof in Hinterglemm, need to give it a second visit Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colinthc wrote:
Surely the best place to propose would be the top of the Seekar. Pretty backdrop, and if your relationship can survive travelling on a t-bar together, you should be fine. (Seriously though, anything with the Steinbirge in the background should work)

I want her to be in tears when I propose, not before!!

As I'm not that familiar with the leogang area, I assume the top of the asitz, looking over leogang would give us that view? (I'm guessing they're the mountains just off the piste map, behind leogang?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gow87, you mean this, coincidentally just came in from the tourist office, this is from the top of Asitzgipfel lift, I’m assuming you are familiar with the hendl fischerei (Chicken Man)

Yes Leogang is opening early
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
radar wrote:
@Gow87, you mean this, coincidentally just came in from the tourist office, this is from the top of Asitzgipfel lift, I’m assuming you are familiar with the hendl fischerei (Chicken Man)

Yes Leogang is opening early

I'm only familiar in name as COVID struck last trip so we didn't get as far as we wanted (we were staying near the hochalm). This year I'm getting me a rotisserie chicken! Same area, right?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Chicken Man also has a few pricier offerings that include a bottle of fizz.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gow87, Yes same area, the Chicken man is on the right behind the first building, make sure you book ask for a table by the window so you get the view, it's also the only time we stop early for lunch 12.30 / 13.00 to make sure or getting some Chicken a top tip from tatamantours.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gow87 wrote:
Colinthc wrote:

I want her to be in tears when I propose, not before!!

As I'm not that familiar with the leogang area, I assume the top of the asitz, looking over leogang would give us that view? (I'm guessing they're the mountains just off the piste map, behind leogang?)

Yes, top of the Asitz, the backdrop is fantastic, not dissimilar to the mountains that Julie Andrews sings in front of in the Sound of Music, (and which are close by). The run down to Leogang (Hutten) is, (despite being rather busy), one of my favourite ever runs, and the views are a large part of that. And yes, you can head to the chicken man.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gow87, “Do you know what the blue run from there to the polten is like? She's not too comfortable on the flats on a snowboard so I try and pick routes with a decent gradient.”

From the top of the Wildenkarkogel/Schönleitenbahn you have a choice of three routes down to the Polten 8er (christened by some guests of mine “The Pollinator”). First on the right is red piste 161, which splits - you bear left and it then joins 162.
The main piste, which you can take all the way from the top is 162 - a wide, blue piste and a fairly even gradient all the way down, which should be ideal for boarding (not that I would know). The piste splits left (blue) and straight on (red) about two thirds of the way down. On boards I imagine you’d want to just go straight on and down to the lift. The blue that detours around to the left is narrower and windy.
The third option is a track that splits off to the left from piste 162 near the top. But it’s quite narrow - not much fun on a board, I don’t suppose.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After 17 visits to Saalbach in the last 12 years, I have just done a first and booked a late Friday afternoon flight into Salzburg, meaning an overnight stop in the City and then planning the early train out Saturday for a half days skiing, before a week in Hotel Kristiania.

Has anyone stopped in the Salzburg that has recommendations for a central hotel ?

@radar @tatmantours, @others, roughly how much is a taxi from Zell to Saalbach as I am solo at present, so thinking will just catch bus as it’s easy and cheap, but will still need taxi up from schattberg to kristinia so may not be a material difference, particularly as I will have saved the cost of a private transfer from Salzburg as is the norm on a Saturday morning !
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, I can only advise on the last bit, which was 10 euros from Schattberg to Kristiana when we were late for dinner!

This was 3 years ago though.
snow report
@Valluga, that's the one bit I have an idea of, but thanks for commenting
snow report
@ribblevalleyblue, smart move! I did it once, but it was many years ago, and I can’t remember where we stayed - just a cheap but adequate B&B near the old town of Salzburg.
Of course the bus from the airport (with an easy change at Maishofen) would take you all the way to the Schattberg Xpress, without having to go to Zell. Having said that, you can actually get off the train at Maishofen station. But I don’t think a taxi from there would be any cheaper than from Zell - my guess these days about 50 euros (but £44 sounds slightly better).
I don’t know how much a taxi from the Schattberg to the Kristiana would be, but I’m guessing you would be unlikely to have any change out of €20.
latest report
@ribblevalleyblue, depending on the date of travel I may be able to put you up for the Friday night. P.M. me if interested.
snow report
@tatmanstours, thanks for the offer, but my flight doesn’t get in until 20:00 (if it’s on time which late in day is always a risk) so could catch the 22:15 train if everything fell into place, but that wouldn’t get to Zell until midnight, so hence why I plan to stop in Salzburg as no risk and can pick any train (or bus) first thing Saturday.

Negotiating with the wife about leaving on Friday was a challenge in itself, so taking an early morning flight was pushing it too far!
latest report
@ribblevalleyblue, we last stayed a couple of nights in Salzburg back in 2017, nice hotel will try and find the name, it was on the bus route from the airport and not too far from the station, though we went back to the airport to get the holiday shuttle.
snow report
Looks like some proper snow fall coming over the next few weeks, could mean a good start to the season.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
@radar, and @alexwalker, (welcome to Snowheads, and by the way are you the Alex Walker who is related to me?)
I generally direct my guests, who bring vehicles, including vans, to the Schönleitenbahn, where it seems permitted to leave vehicles parked (at no cost) indefinitely. Radar, are you saying that camper vans are excluded? I suppose that much may depend on the type of van/vehicle.

yep thats me, had an account for ages just havent really needed it upto now!
i think ill just have to wait and see really. and just try and maybe stay there stealthily if i have to!
ski holidays
@alexwalker, yes, play by ear, and maybe ask around. You could also enquire in the “Inside Saalbach” Facebook group.
snow report
@ribblevalleyblue, sorry we can't find the name of the hotel we stayed at, it didn't have a restaurant, so might not have suited you.
snow report
@Gow87, a place with a great view of Leogang is the Steinadler, it has a terrace with good views down and across Leogang , it is at the mid station on the Asitz lift, it's an easy blue down to it, they do simple food eg: toasties, but it's a great place to stop.
snow report
Judging by the amount of snow currently falling in Saalbach (a couple of feet had already fallen I was told this morning, and the resort is to be opened early), I’ll be needing snow chains on my summer tyres when I drive down in a couple of weeks. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the roads will be cleared.
snow conditions
Naughty Mr T - it's a legal requirement to have snow tyres in Bavaria and Austria, but I guess your winter set are in storage in Saalbach?

At least on Austrian plates (I presume?) you're unlikely to be stopped.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ousekjarr, you guess correctly. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I didn’t want to put winter tyres on when I drove back to the U.K. in late September.
latest report
I've been checking the Saturday timetable for the public bus from from Salzburg Airport to Saalbach and it seems that it has increased this year from 3 to 5 services on a Saturday , the fare is Euro 15.00 each way. I've ignored going via train to Zell as that would be bus/train/bus or taxi

To check the times https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/, I would recommend downloading their app, as it will give you live ski bus timesplus you can buy your bus tickets through it.

Edit: the 5 services are connecting ones through to Saalbach

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 28-11-23 22:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The improvement in the 260 bus departures is even better than from 3 to 5 departures. I count 9 departures (one every 2 hours) on Saturdays starting from when the new timetable comes into use on 10th Dec.

The last 3 departures will require a taxi from Zell am See in order to reach Saalbach, as the last 680 bus to Saalbach leaves Zell at 19.15.

The Holiday Shuttle is not running this coming season, and the replacement is not really much use as it appears that the company running it suggest allowing six hours to get from Saalbach to Salzburg due to the roadworks on the A10 (and they seemingly intend to take a route via Zell am See, St Johann im Pongau and then the A10 to Salzburg in order to fill a bus, instead of the direct route via Lofer and Bad Reichenhall).
snow conditions
I've often thought they'd be a market for a bespoke pre-booked type ski bus for Salzburg - Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Hinterglemm & Zell etc. Also to the other large resorts serviced by Salzburg too.

From London alone there are 8 flights, from wider UK there are 14 UK inbound flights into Salzburg on Saturdays. Include wider EU and nearly 30. Assuming a 70% fill rate of small aircraft that c6000 pax transiting, double for a return leg to resorts. If only 5% wanted pre-booked coach transport @€30 per leg (working on c€1200 per day coach hire + admin costs) thats room for a v healthy margin...even with outrageous Austrian taxes!
latest report
“I've often thought they'd be a market for a bespoke pre-booked type ski bus for Salzburg - Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Hinterglemm & Zell etc.”

Wasn’t that called “The Holiday Shuttle”?
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
“I've often thought they'd be a market for a bespoke pre-booked type ski bus for Salzburg - Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Hinterglemm & Zell etc.”

Wasn’t that called “The Holiday Shuttle”?

Yup…any idea why it folded?
snow conditions
I always use public transport to get to and from the airport. I have used the “holiday shuttle” in the past, but the timetable didn’t always suit.
Andy Rose of Snow Camps Europe is offering a shuttle type service. Initially this was to Kaprun and Zell. However, he has extended the service to include Saalbach Hinterglemm.

https://www.snowcampseu.com/airport-transfers/
ski holidays
@Dravot, no idea. It seemed to coincide with the pandemic. I wondered whether lack of drivers had a bearing on it.

@Yorksboy, Thanks, that’s certainly worth knowing. I wonder what times and how many shuttles a day.
ski holidays
Hi, we have booked the Kerii Boutique Hotel in Hinterglemm for a few days in February. This seems to be a brand new hotel. Does anyone know if this is built yet?
Details seem pretty sketchy online and the only photos appear to be Architects renderings.
Anyone got any info on this place?
snow report
@donie75, this is on the site of the old London Pub/Apresworld which burned down in February 2022. Building work started on the site in the spring, and their website says it will be open for the winter.

I have no idea what the progress is, but this is a multi-million € development which has to be open by Christmas otherwise I would expect severe penalty clauses, so there's unlikely to be anything to worry about at this stage if you're going for February.

StreetView shows the state much earlier in the year:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3787572,12.5974981,3a,60y,194.08h,83.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk56xl1sH4OX1bSbp3SGF9A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

If you know where to look, you can see it on the webcam as it pans across the Alpin Juwel and shows the Reiterkogel lift building on the left. It looks pretty complete to me, but internals could be different. Why not call/email them and ask?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 29-11-23 16:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The building is certainly there and the internal fit-out has been going on for about a month, so presumably it will all be in place in time for Christmas. It looks like it will be the complete opposite of the 1970's pub and malodorous, sticky-carpeted nightclub that used to be there before it burned down in 2022.

I hope the architect they employed was better than the web designer who has put together a total dogs dinner of a website!
ski holidays
Thanks ousekjarr & Quinton, I’m always a bit sceptical of new builds so thanks for the update. I’m looking forward to visiting the Saalbach Hinterglemm area. We have skied Mayrhofen and the Zillertal Valley for the last 10 years so looking forward to trying a new resort.
Is there any good local minibus company for a transfer from Munich Airport.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy