Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm railway

Poster: A snowHead
brianatab wrote:

At the very least, the Scottish Government should remove this project from the control of the HIE and appoint an independent review with the remit to look at value for money and benefit to the communities and tourism over the long term.

Has anyone disagreed?
Indeed, your summary reads like copy & paste from my own or winterhighlands posts earlier in thread.

FWIW: I am told one reason the funicular remains closed is on-going dispute between HIE and Scot Gov.
HIE hoped the £11 million recovered from recent legal case with Morrisons relating to funicular construction (2001) would be available for further repairs.
It is an open secret the concrete beams likely need to be replaced with steel *if* funicular is to have longer term future.
Unsurprisingly future fund's for such work would be contentious.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 8-08-24 13:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also: There is a new planning application for kids adventure playground on CNPA.

Personally you would think such things much better located down below in Glenmore? However, such plans consistent with HIEs longer term commitment to make Coire Cas the central hub.

https://www.eplanningcnpa.co.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=SEZ9UOSI0CP00&fbclid=IwY2xjawEhkL5leHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHePK19QFj8PGAFCQCyASyCuqPdlFwnpd4pAZu42PgXhUbGpdLEBgqI4iUw_aem_whOq1-DXf82Xsi3rP8SaAA
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had a great week in Aviemore in February this year despite the poor snow (snow machine nursey slope all that was available). What struck me was the lack of commercial nous. Everyone piled off the slopes at the same time, returned hire kit etc, piled into the cafe to be told that they were closing in 10 minutes and the shop was shut. We were all ready top splash out on some over priced hot chocolates (as I'm sure many families were, for the two sessions it was p***ing it down the first and baltic the second!) and my girls had pocket money to but some holiday tat. We ended up keeping our wallets in our pockets and spending it down in the village.

I have a real soft spot for Scottish skiing (and especially Scottish Winter Climbing) and to see the mismanagement of Cairngorm, to the determent of the local community, really saddens me.

If you are up there, the hilltrip to visit the reindeer was an absolute highlight, https://www.instagram.com/p/C3uXb-zN29g/?igsh=cXl0djBkbHJqNHFt. The ice rink was also a hit with the girls and seeing a couple of local lasses doing some impressive figure skating was really inspiring to my daughters (my youngest admitted she didn't think thyey could spin that fast in real life and it had been sped up on the tv).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
brianatab wrote:

At the very least, the Scottish Government should remove this project from the control of the HIE and appoint an independent review with the remit to look at value for money and benefit to the communities and tourism over the long term.

Has anyone disagreed?

Then why do you defend their lack of action, based on a 7 year old vote in the previous parliament? rolling eyes

I agree on your comments about the adventure playground. Closer access for local families, and more likely to be open more of the year, with much less risk of closure on H&S grounds in adverse weather.

However, that application shows how far from reality some of the committee are, and actually highlights the need for more urgent action.

As for the concrete beams, there ought to be an inquiry into why they chose Concrete instead of Steel in the first place. Much longer potential lifespan in those weather conditions. (provided they get repainted regularly of course).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, thanks for confirming that Scot Gov did absolutely nothing here, even when they thought HIE a shambles,

brianatab wrote:

Then why do you defend their lack of action, based on a 7 year old vote in the previous parliament? rolling eyes

Ultimately you both blaming the SNP because the opposition parties joined forces in blocking their proposals to abolish HIE rolling eyes
I am all for accountability in politics however that is ridiculous. Not least when root cause of all failings can be traced back to 2001.
The funicular was always the "wrong lift in the wrong place". Plus, the attempt to cut costs by using concrete beams, rather than steel, is what led to present day closure.
If the SNP can be held responsible for anything then it's approving the extra £26-million which HIE (misleadingly) claimed would resolve all technical issues.
The alternative would of course have been complete removal.

The ongoing closure almost certainly because ScotGov now unwilling to commit further funds.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not blaming them, just fair criticism for letting it continue under their tenure.
You can only blame the previous government for so much, then you have to accept the responsibility for your inaction on resolving the issues.
7 years is a very long time in Politics.

What % of MSP's changed at the last election?
Blaming the previous "opposition", when you have been in a majority coalition for over 3 years is pathetic.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No doubt it will need to be removed and replaced with an alternative.
However, it seems that the current Government don't want to get involved, which will only lead to even longer delays, greater overall costs, and more damage to the local economy.

Hey, but don't worry. I'm pretty sure that will somehow all turn out to be Westminster's fault.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@brianatab,

I’ve used the funicular loads of times.

What you on about saying no one on here has ever used it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GlasgowCyclops, My last visit pre dates it's conception. From reading here, I'd come to the conclusion that it'd never carried any passengers. Toofy Grin

tbf, I don't see the point of any mountain uplift system where you can't actually exit at the top of the mountain rolling eyes

Snowdon had it sorted 130 years ago. Tried, tested , and stood the test of time. Why didn't they simply follow that model?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brianatab wrote:
tbf, I don't see the point of any mountain uplift system where you can't actually exit at the top of the mountain

You can get out at the top to ski in the winter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
brianatab wrote:
tbf, I don't see the point of any mountain uplift system where you can't actually exit at the top of the mountain

You can get out at the top to ski in the winter.

FWIW : I am pro the VMP (visitor management plan). The plateau is fragile sub arctic tundra unique to the UK. *If* you are building a lift to the top of Cairngorm then not allowing visitors to exit the top station is summer is the correct decision. The alternative would be serious erosion, plus inevitably litter and other issues.

Ever since it was built in 2001 the funicular was always "wrong lift in the wrong place". This VMP planning condition is the reason why the funicular failed (no matter who was in charge) and finally arrived at HIE ownership by default. The concrete beams failing was simply cherry on cake of a failed vanity project.

Repeat summer custom and outdoor recreation (bikers and hikers) is limited by design. An access gondola from Glenmore could / would have been entirely different story.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any news about what is going on at the moment ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter S wrote:
Any news about what is going on at the moment ?

The concrete beams have cracked and need replaced with steel.
Repair which HIE proposed has seemingly not been a success....

Rumour is that Scot Gov not rushing to provide HIE with further additional funds at present. Not many expect train to run this winter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As always @Peter S, asks the pertinent question. I imagine the answer is very little.
Assuming information from@Haggis_Trap, is correct and the beams require replacement then this train has "run into the buffers".
Beam replacement would be at a cost that nobody would consider. The next hurdle is finding the cash for the demolition. Once again there will not be a rush to fund that operation, too close to the admission of failure by parties various.
The reality is that at some point demolition and removal will have to be done as a decaying and derelict monument will look atrocious.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rogerdodger wrote:

The reality is that at some point demolition and removal will have to be done as a decaying and derelict monument will look atrocious.

HIE just need to keep this snagging charade going till Dec 2025, then as I understand it they are off the hook for a potential European Commission investigation into misuse of ERDF funding.

I grasp why a lot people feel public inquiries are a waste of time and money, throwing more money at something that’s already squandered millions. However so many aspects of this saga have been bound up in various NDAs from out of Court settlements, that a judge led Public Inquiry or a Westminster Parliamentary investigation which can override the NDAs is required.

Why was concrete chosen, the full answer is very likely tied up in the NDA covering the settlement out of court to the action by Anglican Water Group suing Sir (lol) Fraser Morrison for fraudulent sale of Morrison Construction.

Sir Fraser Morrison was simultaneously chairman of HIE (the contracting party) and Chairman and CEO of Morrison Construction (the funicular construction contractor).

What was the going rate of donations to the Tory party for a knighthood in the 90s? Asking for a friend! Blush
snow report
haggishunter wrote:
Anglican Water Group

The bloody English again!
ski holidays
The latest application for family attractions in the car park and the lower run area.

https://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2024/08/09/the-disnaefication-of-cairn-gorm-and-the-gormless-planning-system-in-the-national-park/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2H9Y1HIXetZ-PKDUGHyfZ3Q6vi8R5vG_IRB6b2a3yClzPUtODczS_FCDY_aem_5c3d9R0FZS75xQ9jxvC1KA
snow conditions
An option to replace the funicular?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/cp9r1v1zzrgo
snow conditions
At least they don't always build as planned things that might ruin the place

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7jjy97nzlo
snow report
ster wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Interesting story.
snow report
ster wrote:

Would have been epic for road cyclists!
snow report
^ Interesting story. Though Aonach Mor should have been built with access from Spean Bridge.
The snow holding on the "back" side of the mountain far superior to the SnowGoose (which has views of the Atlantic).
latest report
@Haggis_Trap, yes, tragic they took away the ironically titled Braveheart lift on the back (and even before that hardly ever ran it - why was that?). I take it there are no plans to replace it?
latest report
snowball wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, yes, tragic they took away the ironically titled Braveheart lift on the back (and even before that hardly ever ran it - why was that?). I take it there are no plans to replace it?

Yup : brave heart was unique in Scotland.

Apparently it seldom ran as without a complete traverse to front side of mountain evacuating casualties required a heli. Though I fully agree they could / should have made more of it given the natural snow holding in Coire Dubh itself
ski holidays
Surely the traverse was usually complete. When I have been there (this is not recent years) I could ski back round after walking up the lower part, since the lift wasn't working. Or do you mean some sort of traverse from the BOTTOM of the lift?
snow conditions
Hucking off the clifftops in the Nevis Range backcountry was / is one of Europe's great skiruns.

Shame they closed down the lift.
snow conditions
@Whitegold, I agree the back bowls of Nevis Range where great in decent snow conditions, however the piste skiing at Nevis Range is/was never up to much IMHO.

Cairngorm was the best ski area in Scotland for on piste skiing, off piste skiing and backcountry touring many moons ago, it certainly isn't now, a sad state of affairs as the operators ain't interested in accommodating experienced skiers. Dreadful place now and this comes from a skier who's skied in the area since the 1970's and had a season ticket for most years but not anymore.
latest report
@Markscotski, presumably the off-piste at Cairngorm is still there (or has the snow got much worse over the last decade or so? Is there more than just the lift access at issue?)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markscotski wrote:

Cairngorm was the best ski area in Scotland for on piste skiing, off piste skiing and backcountry touring many moons ago, it certainly isn't now, a sad state of affairs as the operators ain't interested in accommodating experienced skiers. Dreadful place now and this comes from a skier who's skied in the area since the 1970's and had a season ticket for most years but not anymore.

Here's a blast from the past when the Cairngorm chairlift was new:
http://youtube.com/v/D4GDFNODhwM?si=b5TdcQGJBZ61oumU
latest report
It cost £36,000 Shocked
ski holidays
Another one!

http://youtube.com/v/dMHrNxNVRlI
ski holidays
Happier times Cool
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Happier times Cool

I don’t remember them sadly, too young, lol! But yes, looks great in a nostalgic way, but by god I bet it was cold! None of the great clothing we have now!

Aviemore is about an hour from me, south, had some great days there. Moved up this way in ‘98.
snow conditions
The year that never happened… Sod’s Law!

http://youtube.com/v/0O3n3PxYuZE
snow conditions
And the same happened during Foot and Mouth Sad
snow conditions
still snow in early May, after the border re-opened, in Glencoe (if you walked up). Flypaper was good, though lots of sloughing.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 21-09-24 11:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Edit: The lower access lift was working
ski holidays
During a few days camping down at Glenmore I chatted to a few natives about the train.
Several people, 3 or 4 suggest an opening in Dec. of this year.
However, this came from the guy I believe to be best connected, operations will recommence March 2025.
Noteworthy that Balfour Beauty had men working along the viaduct.
snow conditions
@Rogerdodger, interesting. I presume that once (or if) the funicular is finally repaired it will need to be inspected and approved by the Department for Transport? I recall it took several months from Glencoe installing their 3 person chairlift to an inspector being available to inspect it and issue a certificate for operation. Perhaps the political spotlight on the funicular will mean that HIE pull some strings to get the funicular inspected by DfT more quickly..... wink
latest report
Funicular due to open in December.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy