Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé and Super Salzburg Pass - Snow Report 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Pedantica, it dosn´t matter. The hut up there is open to tourers every night, we can do that tour anytime you like, but a clear night would be best wink
Let me know if you fancy it and we will organize a Ladies Only evening tour up there wink

Had an absolutely fab day with all the wonderful snowHead heads here, hopefully Avalanche Poodle will upload a photo of what can happen when you accidentally find yourself between a rock and a hard place Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two weeks and counting for me... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kooky wrote:

There is such a different atmosphere up there at night, and although some of the gnarly doods sprint up in a hour, we prefer to take our time, stopping off at all the various huts, and just drinking in the scenery as night falls (although our slave driving Harem Master refused a visit to the third hut en route Shocked)

In the Slave Driving Harem Master's defence the hut in question was only two hundred metres from the one we had just spent over an hour in Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kooky, what is ironic is that a) my impact shorts have a perfectly situated pad covering the rock impacted area, and b) I have a photo from last year showing a bruise in exactly the same place on my leg Evil or Very Mad

I should start wearing the damn things.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

In the Slave Driving Harem Master's defence the hut in question was only two hundred metres from the one we had just spent over an hour in

and this is a problem
Puzzled

I don´t know about "impact shorts" mate, you should be skiing with an airbag strapped to you
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p30300-img-20140117-160102.html

It's a good dead leg, swollen and stiff (ooo err missus) and bound to turn purple. Lesson... When jumping bumps at the side of the piste look for dips with rock walls before takeoff rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avalanche Poodle, ouchie! Dare I asked what happened?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avalanche Poodle, and dropping your saloppettes on the restaurant terrace to check the damage could become something of a party trick , it certainly turned a few heads !
( still reckon there'd be a market for s/h's underwear) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, just being playful with my SL skis and jumped a bump at the side which was hiding a dip with a slab of rock. Landed on the rock right on my thigh lol. Gave the others a giggle at least seeing my attempt at flying.

Although most of the giggling and P taking seemed to be coming from one quarter. I'm sure there was an element of revenge for the 'hole' episode. You can go off some people Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kooky, I am seriously thinking of doing a few days in March and will keep you posted.

Avalanche Poodle, ouchie! Silly boy. rolling eyes (but you won't take offence at the rolling eyes, will you now? Toofy Grin )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica, That's it, I'm not sking with you now NehNeh Then again, you'd probably be relieved at that, so ya boo sucks, I will ski with you in March. You ladies need a Harem Master to keerp you in check after all.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avalanche Poodle, wink I sincerely hope March works out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica, It would indeed be nice to catch up again and get some runs in. The touring is so peaceful, really nice to experience.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, I'm out in Ski Amadé again in March you know…

Avalanche Poodle, you need to stop hitting rocks, find a soft place to land next time...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, even more of an incentive.
snow report
nickH,
Quote:

and dropping your saloppettes on the restaurant terrace to check the damage could become something of a party trick , it certainly turned a few heads !

I think it turned more than a few stomachs too Shocked Twisted Evil

Avalanche Poodle, if you keep us marching past the huts you may well find your days as Harem Master numbered……just saying
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, Ouch! Still hoping that you might be able to fit a ski with us into your schedule when we are there, but I know you are also busy with friends that week. I'm sure if you haven't broken yourself properly by then that the kids would be pleased to assist Toofy Grin
snow report
kooky, Don't tell anyone but the hut staff paid me to expose my flesh in order to clear the nearby tables as they were taking too long over the post meal coffees. This could become rather a lucrative business, terrace clearance operative position here I come.

It looks as if my biggest danger lays in being found stabbed to death with touring poles. I did distract the ladies with a shiny thing filled with sloe gin but it appears that I will have to be more attentive to the collective harem needs in the future.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 18-01-14 9:55; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Megamum, I think I can make time to see if the nippers can break me properly, hoping for a good dump to get the off piste ready by then Toofy Grin
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, You have a PM Very Happy
snow conditions
10c and raining in Bad Gastein.

Surprised how good the pistes still are.

The home run is open with no bare patches. First year it's had snow-making. Incredible the difference it makes.
snow report
waynos wrote:
Went to the Lungau region today, just south of Obertauern, covered on the Salzburg Superpass. First time in this area, 50min drive from Schladming, passing through Obertauern to the Gosseckbahn gondel. We parked here for the day, took the lifts up and up to 2400m. The top area offers some amazing off piste terrain which we of course explored. Was quite windy higher up and a fair amount of snow had been blown about, so cautious of any drifts in dodgy places. The snow off piste was variable depending on aspect and what the wind had down. Basically best snow in shaded and trees, some lovely pockets of soft snow but also crusty bits, wind compacted, rocks etc. We attempted a south facing slope from the top - very tricky conditions, quite good cover higher up but needed more sun to transform to spring snow. In the afternoon got the bus to the Aineck. The top area looked promising for some good off piste but was very windy and in cloud. Did the black run to Katschberg in a whiteout and string winds, made it interesting and the uncovered lift back up was very cold. At the end of the day we managed to get a bus back to where we left the car, which rather surprised me. All in all a great day out, found some potentially great powder terrain in an area offering 1300m of vert. Makes the Superpass even better than I thought. I'll be back!

Waynos I was at Grosseck/Speiereck the day before you on Wednesday Razz
Scored first tracks in the top bowl in what seemed like 10cm of new snow, more in places.
Then headed over the backside on the ski route down to Restalm. This was one of the best off-piste areas I have found in a very long time...boot+, perfect gradient and perfectly spaced trees, big area with multiple possible lines and freshies galore, fantastic fun. Lapped it many times snowHead

Fresh tracks in the top bowl:

View having traversed across the top bowl. The Restalm area is on the other side of the fence.

Just above Restalm:

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 19-01-14 12:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Anyone looking for powder in Salzburgerland should head over to Katschberg. As Waynos has said, currently the upper half of Aineck is covered in cloud with a very strong wind and the top gondola is closed, and on the lee side of the mountain it is dumping. This was the case on Friday when we were there, and still the same today looking at the webcams. On Friday we scored some very nice snow below the lower gondola (see pic below), but were gutted we couldn't get on the top lift after it closed in the morning (we did get on it first thing and were greeted at the top by a raging blizzard, so quickly took red #11 down to Katschberg). The top half of the lee side of Aineck could be amazing when the weather clears.

latest report
hd, shhhh, don't tell everyone. Nice report. There really is some decent looking terrain in this area, I'll be keeping my eye on snow conditions here.I do wonder when the weather comes from N or NW that delivers the goods for ski amade resorts whether it does that bit further south in lungau?
snow report
waynos wrote:
hd, shhhh, don't tell everyone.

waynos, not of interest to me any more now that I have left so I will accept bribes to delete the previous posts and keep my mouth shut wink
The weather at Aineck on Friday was bizarre and very localised, just one big cloud sitting on the top of the mountain with clear weather all around. There must be some meteorological terminology for what was happening with the mountain blocking the strong wind and causing a cloud/precipitation build up around it...any ideas?
latest report
I guess it's frequently windy up Aineck judging by the snow fences. It was cloudy there too on Thursday, like you say must be some very local effect.
ski holidays
I guess it's frequently windy up Aineck judging by the snow fences. It was cloudy there too on Thursday, like you say must be some very local effect.
ski holidays
waynos, I noticed that too, remember when I went up there about 2 weeks ago i could´t believe all the frozen windblown snow everywhere, I certainly haven´t seen any our was for a while. I took this pic at the top of the Aineckbahn, you can really see when the wind has been howling!

Lungau has a reputation for being a real "schneeloch" and a very cold valley, by the sound of it this week will be great up there, it´s access only with snow chains as I type Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kooky, Graukogel talabfahrt is shut can I claim half a pint? Smile
latest report
Is that a week of snow on the forecast I see before me?
snow conditions
Its snowing right now, not much in the valley but I bet its lovely on the mountain. Ange
snow report
flangesax, Very Happy
ski holidays
Coming out to the Ski Amade for the first time on Saturday. Staying in Dienten. How's the snow looking? Gonna give us lots of fresh this week with my arrival imminent?!

I have no real idea where we're going. Which area has the best conditions at the moment? Any great recommendations? JUST PROMISE ME SNOW!
latest report
Latest forecast saying heavy snow for Friday Very Happy

http://www.bergfex.com/schladming-planai/wetter/berg/

Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Puzzled

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 21-01-14 16:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Puzzled

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 21-01-14 16:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Puzzled
latest report
HutToHut, name the time and place, I may even buy your a full pint snowHead
Avalanche Poodle and me packed up our fat skis and headed over to Katschberg in the hope of finding some pockets of powder, it looked good, but was really deceptive , very frozen underfoot and not much fun, so we swapped to the slalom skis. Very very quiet over there, so we were able to get in some really fast runs down the Diretissima, I think a certain someone may have needed a change of underpants after the first run………the phrase "look before you leap" comes to mind Laughing
While we left Altenmarkt in fog and light rain, the weather was great over there, sunny , very windy and cold,the snow on piste could´t have been better, all in all a perfect ski day.
snow report
jonnybroome wrote:
Coming out to the Ski Amade for the first time on Saturday. Staying in Dienten. How's the snow looking? Gonna give us lots of fresh this week with my arrival imminent?!

I have no real idea where we're going. Which area has the best conditions at the moment? Any great recommendations? JUST PROMISE ME SNOW!

Now then. We stayed at a pal's apartment in Hinterthal a week or two ago for the first time, which is the next village along (the two are connected by a red and a lift in either direction,as well as a road). The good news is that we had an absolutely brilliant time, despite the conditions being a bit so-so. I've never been anywhere with such lovely people, both locals and other tourists alike. We came away with the impression that the majority of the people were regular visitors and were good skiers who knew the area inside out. It's clearly an affluent area but it's not blingy at all. Mainly Austrians and Germans with a scattering of Lowlanders, Scandis and a few Brits.

It's pretty straightforward to find your way around, to be honest. You've got Mulbach at one end, Maria Alm at the other (both have a variety of runs), and a vaguely linear bunch of connected runs in between. Most are reds of the middling length and steepness variety, albeit quite straight. There are some blacks and a smattering of blues, too. My favourites were the reds 3 and 13 (from memory), and the blue 4 from the Sunnhutte towards Mulbach, which runs off to the right and through the second (lower) snow park thingy, which was largely unoccupied so it was safe to blast along.

For your first day or two, just follow the Konigstour signs in either direction - orange to Mulbach, yellow to Maria Alm - and you can't go wrong. Coming down into Dienten from the Hochmais can require a little care at the very foot of the run, nothing too serious but the last 30m or so can get a bit chaotic as people filter down to a small exit and need to figure out whether to go left or right, crossing others coming the other way at the same time... luckily it's low speed/poling conditions and it'll make sense once you see it.

I was surprised by the variety of conditions. In the space of a day I skied my first black in icy, low vis conditions and, on the other side of the same hill, went tanking down a red in slushy, heavy springlike conditions.

I can definitely recommend the SteinbockAlm at the top of the Hochmais as being about the best mountain bar/restaurant I've had the pleasure of frequenting. Very stylish gaffe with great staff in both the bar and restaurant and an interesting menu. The drinks are very well-priced too: a large draft beer and a prosecco were €4 each or less. In Hinterthal itself we absolutely loved the Almbar. The house wine was ace and the fillet steak was a perfectly cooked, edge to edge sous-vide triumph. Again, the staff were just brilliant.

Here's a link to the local area map:

http://www.hochkoenig.at/topbilder/pdf/prospekte/hk_de-panorama_web.pdf

If you're driving, we were strongly recommended to take the A1 out of Salzburg towards Bad Richenhall, the 178 to Lofer, then the 311 to Saalfelden. Once in Saalfelden take the left turn on the 164 to Maria Alm just after the superb - and great value - InterSpar supermarket and stay on the valley floor road through Maria Alm and Hinterthal to Dienten. Sat nav apparently tries to take you along the motorway and then through the windy pass from the other end of the valley.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. We'll definitely be returning.
snow conditions
twodogs wrote:
jonnybroome wrote:

Now then. We stayed at a pal's apartment in Hinterthal a week or two ago for the first time, which is in the next village along (the two are connected by a red and a lift in either direction,as well as a road). The good news is that we had an absolutely brilliant time, despite the conditions being a bit so-so. I've never been anywhere with such lovely people, both locals and other tourists alike. We came away with the impression that the majority of the people were regular visitors and were good skiers who knew the area inside out. It's clearly an affluent area but it's not blingy at all. Mainly Austrians and Germans with a scattering of Lowlanders, Scandis and a few Brits.

It's pretty straightforward to find your way around, to be honest. You've got Mulbach at one end, Maria Alm at the other (both have a variety of runs), and a vaguely linear bunch of connected runs in between. Most are reds of the middling length and steepness variety, albeit quite straight. There are some blacks and a smattering of blues, too. My favourites were the reds 3 and 13 (from memory), and the blue 4 from the Sunnhutte towards Mulbach, which runs off to the right and through the second (lower) snow park thingy, which was largely unoccupied so it was safe to blast along.

For your first day or two, just follow the Konigstour signs in either direction - orange to Mulbach, yellow to Maria Alm - and you can't go wrong. Coming down into Dienten from the Hochmais can require a little care at the very foot of the run, nothing too serious but the last 30m or so can get a bit chaotic as people filter down to a small exit and need to figure out whether to go left or right, crossing others coming the other way at the same time... luckily it's low speed/poling conditions and it'll make sense once you see it.

I was surprised by the variety of conditions. In the space of a day I skied my very first black in icy, low vis conditions and, on the other side of the same hill, went down a red in slushy, heavy spring-like conditions. I'm no weatherman but I suspect that the unusually mild weather meant a temperature inversion and low-lying cloud that took longer to shift in the parts of the valley which remained in shade.

I can definitely recommend the SteinbockAlm at the top of the Hochmais as being about the best mountain bar/restaurant I've had the pleasure of frequenting. Very stylish gaffe with great staff in both the bar and restaurant and an interesting menu. The drinks are very well-priced too: a large draft beer and a prosecco were €4 each or less. In Hinterthal itself we absolutely loved the Almbar. The house wine was ace and the fillet steak was a perfectly cooked, edge to edge sous-vide triumph. Again, the staff were just brilliant.

Here's a link to the local area map:

http://www.hochkoenig.at/topbilder/pdf/prospekte/hk_de-panorama_web.pdf

If you're driving, we were strongly recommended to take the A1 out of Salzburg towards Bad Richenhall, the 178 to Lofer, then the 311 to Saalfelden. Once in Saalfelden take the left turn on the 164 to Maria Alm just after the superb - and great value - InterSpar supermarket and stay on the valley floor road through Maria Alm and Hinterthal to Dienten. Sat nav apparently tries to take you along the motorway and then through the windy pass from the other end of the valley.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. We'll definitely be returning.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy