Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
RetroBod wrote:
Hey Noz do you ever get to enjoy the European winters that you are so eminently forecasting?

Good point.... Noz - you'd be getting a pint or two from me if coincidence put us in the same place at the same time.

You happen to be in Andermatt second week of March? wink

Good work - much appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
achilles, my goodness, don't even think about him not posting. Shocked His posts are amazingly wonderful.

I am not clear why they are amazingly wonderful - but I can see that the posts have provided have provided a lot of entertainment. But then, so did David Goldsmith's - and we have survived his recent absence. I regret easiski not posting in sH any more (and I know weather outlook threads used to wind her up) but that's up to her - it's the way it goes. I don't think any poster's perceived eminence should effectively allow him to bar other posts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Liking the Arlberg wigglies, once this pesky warm spell gets out of the way, the ground can cool down nicely in preperation for the spring storms Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, nor have I tried?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I don't think any poster's perceived eminence should effectively allow him to bar other posts

Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen, fair point, my choice of words was wrong. 'him' should have read 'a supporter' since the comments go back to something said by another poster. Please accept my apologies, and BTW, I don't wish to rain on your parade - I was just advocating free speech.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen, I find your posts very useful and interesting -first thing I look for when I sign on..........
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott, fab. Where did you get that from?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
06z GFS shows another evolution in FI, and one I rather don't like. Freezing levels at >3000m for the whole the the last week. Just on run though and a long way off - lets hope it doesn't come to fruition.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.valdisere.com/gb/pictoflash/webcam/webcam.php

clouds ( at last) in valdisere but also crowds too ( half term hell) i love my daughter to bits but i do miss my ability to follow the snow and go when i want days Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

anyway nozawaonsen, what time will it start snowing in Valdisere and how much please, prove your worth and i too will join the ever growing list of brown coloured Snownoses on this page Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As philmes says the 06z shows what happens when the Scandinavian high is less strong, allowing warm air to eventually fill in after the Atlantic has come through. The result would be a warmer and wetter half term. Still very unclear and will be for a couple more days.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, I just Googled it
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen,

Isn't it irritating when the GFS flips so dramatically on the 06 run - leaves you most of the working day waiting for better news. On this however, most of the other models (from my very novice eye) appear to hold with the cold?????

Hopefully, the GFS will conduct another flip at 12!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nozawaonsen wrote:
As philmes says the 06z shows what happens when the Scandinavian high is less strong, allowing warm air to eventually fill in after the Atlantic has come through. The result would be a warmer and wetter half term. Still very unclear and will be for a couple more days.

Warmer certainly, but not wetter. High pressure there will keep things very dry indeed.
snow conditions
Mattmulkeen wrote:
RetroBod,

we need the cold first! Hopefully, freezing level back to the valley by thursday - then it can snow all it likes.

gonna pack double thermals for next week though. Toofy Grin

Good call....... Bring it on!!!!
snow report
philmes, depends where you are looking. Low pressure going over the top could make things wetter in places. On that particular run the operational drops this at +204.

The control went a lot larger. This would be not dissimilar to the situation early in the season when the high pressure was keeping the western Alps dry, but the east was still getting snow (or rain at lower altitudes if this verified).

Anyway would need a lot more support to take this seriously. An impressive flip though. Underlining how uncertain it all remains. Will be interesting to see which way the 12zs go...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 14-02-11 13:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
An impressive flip though.

It certainly is. The 06z ensembles for the second week are almost a mirror image of the 00z ones!
ski holidays
In terms of managing expectations... What this next week feels like to me at present is a good chance for some snow across most of the Alps at some point. What it doesn't feel like is guaranteed heavy snow over the whole Alps.

Here are some ensembles.

The Arlberg

Alpe D'Huez/Les Deux Alpes

Anyway we'll find out soon enough...
snow conditions
looks like broad disagreement from the 20th.....when do the models flip from low to high resolution runs??
latest report
i think nosa answered this for me recently and i think it was two days out
ski holidays
I'll be a like a drowned rat in Scheffau if that 06 forecast is correct - cant be having that...... next forecast please! snowHead
snow report
As forecast the central Pyrenees received snow overnight allowing me to make 1st tracks this morning on a good base with 10cm of fresh snow on top. Moderate to heavy snow continued into the afternoon and though a little calmer now the forecast is showing a repeat again tonight and snow on and off for the next couple of days.

I think that we have been lucky, as our last snow was only two weeks ago and then it snowed for almost 4 days and though only light it did deliver almost 50cm cumulatively. The piste are in excellent condition though even with this latest snow the off piste is pretty poor unless you go high up and find some north facing couloirs.

It is still warmer than it should be, with the snow line now down to about 850m.

I guess that compared to some of our neighbours in the alps we should count our blessings Very Happy
snow report
kitenski, the switch from high to low res is at +192, so eight days out. Worth remembering that 06z also has different initial input from 00z. But as much as anything it is just very finely balanced at present with small changes in the set up having really big impact next week.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
kitenski, the switch from high to low res is at +192, so eight days out. Worth remembering that 06z also has different initial input from 00z. But as much as anything it is just very finely balanced at present with small changes in the set up having really big impact next week.

ah, thanks alot. If you have a spare minute, can you explain what is different about the inputs from 06z and 00z, and I'll cut n paste them into the beginners guide....

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
kitenski,

00z - Weather buoy, satellite data, shipping data, country data, NOAA data
06Z - Weather buoy, satellite data, shipping data
12Z - Shipping data, Satellite data ONLY
18Z - Weather buoy, satellite data, shipping data, country data, NOAA data

Puzzled
snow conditions
Mattmulkeen, thanks Smile

So does that make 18z and 00z more 'realistic' than the other two as based on a fuller set of data???
snow conditions
kitenski,

FYI - its Carled's work on said Beginners Guide Smile

Got a feeling the 12z got me like a drowned rat again Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
12z is going to be absolutely grim in the longer timeframe.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:

could have sworn it was 2 days, ruddy drinking ruins me,but then i have to drink whilst reading this site , waiting for snow
latest report
12z a worse copy of 06z. Huge high pressure inflates over Europe. The precipitation over Austria at 192 hours that nozawaonsen mentioned is still there, but the freezing level is around 2800m by then.
ski holidays
Freezing levels in Austria don't look like they ever get higher than around 2300m on the operational rum? Even then the operational run was a mild outlier. With mean much closer to seasonal averages. On the back of an 00z which showed very cold temperatures.

All of which really suggests to me we are really no clearer to knowing how the half term week will look...
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Freezing levels in Austria don't look like they ever get higher than around 2300m on the operational rum?

Indeed - typo. By the end of the run they're edging up to about 2500m.

Quote:
Even then the operational run was a mild outlier. With mean much closer to seasonal averages. On the back of an 00z which showed very cold temperatures. All of which really suggests to me we are really no clearer to knowing how the half term week will look...

There's more scatter on the 12z ensembles, thankfully. You'd have to back the high pressure solution though - there's certainly quite a lot of teleconnection support beyond the basic models. The question is whether that sits over the alps, or to the west.
ski holidays
ECM 12z goes for a similar solution to the GFS 12z. Not especially good for the French alps. Austria and east Switzerland may do better.

This is bit of a nuisance as I'm off to 3V on the 26th and it looks like the limited amount of precipitation over the next two days is all there's going to be until March. Confused
snow conditions
Raining in the Grand Bo
latest report
18z GFS much the same as 06z and 12z out to 192 hours. The pattern for high pressure to build over France towards the British Isles looks fairy solid and there is general cross model agreement.

The question now is how long will the high pressure be in control, and how far north or east will it get? The low resolution part of the 18z run brings a somewhat half hearted easterly in, which would probably be fairly productive for Austria at least. Sucks to be in the French alps though...
ski holidays
12z ECM was colder than 12z GFS. 18z GFS looks colder than 12z GFS overall. 18z GFS operational is certainly a lot wetter in the Eastern Alps. Much of it would be snow certainly at altitude.

Overall a day which shows the models are a long way from sorting anything out. The high pressure builds from the south as it has on every run for days now. But the crucial part, where and how it builds, remains unclear...
snow conditions
maybe not after the next few days, a little bit of gold from heaven?? things change you know better than most,
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Overall a day which shows the models are a long way from sorting anything out.

I sort of agree with this. The general synoptic pattern seems to be agreed upon, but the fine details remain to be resolved.

It is very clear right now that the further east you are, the better.
snow report
This morning the 00z GFS was showing -10C to -15C for the middle of next week, this afternoon the 12z was showing +4C to +8C for the middle of next week. That seems like quite a big detail to me? (and high pressure building over Europe was present in both runs).

I don't know which way it will go tomorrow. I didn't expect the flip from 00z to 06z today. But to my mind until we see a bit more consistency, in either direction, I would be wary of making much of a forecast.

[18z operational also shows a lot more precipitation than any recent runs, especially in the east, but until it gets repeated over a series of runs I would not have a great deal of confidence in it]
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy