Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
stevomcd, sounds good.

I would reckon the area most likely to do well out of the next band of snow on starting tomorrow night into Tuesday and Wednesday, will be north west Italy. The Milky Way and Aosta Valley. And there was some pretty good snowfall there a couple of weeks back.

France should do well too, but I would be pleasantly surprised if it amounted to 50cm over the next week. Nevertheless some snow is better than no snow. We'll see.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 13-02-11 12:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi papillion_rouge, yeah if we get some good freshies this week then conditions should be excellent here. At the moment, all the runs are skiing well, no serious issues with ice, rocks, dirt, etc. except on the green run.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen, I broadly understand the ensembles that you so helpfully post, but how does the precipitation in mm translate to snow depth? Presumably the amount on the ensemble would be if it fell as rain, and therefore you'd get more snow depth. Is there a general rule of thumb or am I being too simplistic?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve84, as a rule of thumb a mm of rain is very roughly equivalent to about a cm of snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen, ok thanks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen,

the latest wiggles are out,what do make of them,to my untrained eye they are still changing,and now it seems a little less now on the 15th more the 16th,is it pushing it out so it fades to nothing,i was looking at 45 7 as near as to Valdisere where were going
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hi weatherheads, any chance someone could have a look to see if livigno in italy is likely to see any fresh snow over the next couple of weeks please? Thankyou!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here is the first band of snow arriving in France tomorrow evening on WRF... (and on into Italy adamtheyido)

And here is a projection of accumulated precipitation between now and Tuesday evening.

The detail will still shift around and of course local variation will effect how it actually turns out. But it is looking pretty good for some snow arriving into France tomorrow night!

"I've been waiting so long..." wink Cooling towards the end of the week. Still unclear how it plays from then. Trending cooler at the moment.

Sunshine of your love
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great news noza, thank you so much for your very informative posts. Whether they've been negative or positive no reflection on you, appreciate the explanations. Will be there this time 2 weeks so hope it'll be tres bien.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
12z GFS operational continues the trend of the last few runs which would take things considerably colder for half term. 5C to 10C cooler by the end of the week. 10C to 15C colder by the middle of half term. Maybe. That has to carry the caveat that there is continuing uncertainty about how that week will look and I certainly wouldn't want to risk a guess on whether there will be any snow.

This week it continues to look likely that there will be some initial St Valentine's snow coming into the Alps late tomorrow night (France and Italy). And probably another band of snow later in the week on Wednesday and Thursday. wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen, nothing for switzerland then ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Brookes wrote:
nozawaonsen, nothing for switzerland then ?

Where / when you going Chris?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Murrren, Switzerland next sunday
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From that chart as I understand it - looks like the far west of Switzerland should get some. Weather predictions are very fickle - can change a lot in 24 hrs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes, if you look at the map above it suggests that the snow reaches into Switzerland Monday overnight into Tuesday. Zermatt, St Moritz look like they will get some, places close to Lake Geneva and the French border. But France and Italy look like they will see more.
latest report
nozawaonsen, thankyou
latest report
nozawaonsen,
Ski Amade for 1/2 term????????
snow conditions
Mitchell,

Quote:

12z GFS operational continues the trend of the last few runs which would take things considerably colder for half term. 5C to 10C cooler by the end of the week. 10C to 15C colder by the middle of half term. Maybe. That has to carry the caveat that there is continuing uncertainty about how that week will look and I certainly wouldn't want to risk a guess on whether there will be any snow.
snow report
guys, this isn't a place to ask for personal forecasts, I think nozawaonsen, puts enough effort in with his detail reviews every 6 hours, let's not start asking him for every single resort out there!!
ski holidays
I second that!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
guys, this isn't a place to ask for personal forecasts, I think nozawaonsen, puts enough effort in with his detail reviews every 6 hours, let's not start asking him for every single resort out there!!

kitenski, who made you team leader,this is a open thread forum and nozawaonsen can decide on his own steam if he wishes to answer or not Puzzled
latest report
Chris Brookes, Mitchell, you can check those wigglies for yourselves by using MoodyFFS's website gps grabber. http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/grab_gfs.php?lat=46&lon=7 and alter the coordinates to those of the resort you require. Why not bookmark it?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 13-02-11 20:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Chris Brookes I believe he has already made it clear, from a post a day or so ago:

nozawaonsen wrote:
A few thoughts perhaps. Keep it polite. Don't pester.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Chris Brookes I believe he has already made it clear, from a post a day or so ago:

nozawaonsen wrote:
A few thoughts perhaps. Keep it polite. Don't pester.

agree, but what has that got to do with my question to nozawaonsen about if the snow will hit Switzerland this coming week:~/
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Chris Brookes, Mitchell, you can check those wigglies for yourselves by using MoodyFFS's website gps grabber. http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/grab_gfs.php?lat=46&lon=7 and alter the coordinates to those of the resort you require. Why not bookmark it?

thanks Hells Bells
latest report
How half the weather in the Alps for half term might evolve still remains very unclear.

The interplay between three pressure systems over the next few days will have a significant impact on the potential outcome. Which could still at this stage range from dry and cold to warm and wet.

There is high pressure building over Scandinavia [top right] with a low pressure system out in the Atlantic ocean [left]. And high pressure lurking to the South. [bottom left]

Here it is on ECM 12z this evening.

As it seems to me.... As the low pressure in the Atlantic moves in it comes up against the Scandinavian high. If the Scandinavian high pressure remains strong it holds off the Atlantic for long enough to allow cold to move across the Alps from the East. If the Atlantic comes pouring across it brings milder, but wetter weather.

Ideally the Scandinavian high holds the Atlantic off long enough to bring in cold and still forces it south across and down through the Alps. This is broadly what it looks like doing this week, if the low pressure remained a bit more focussed as it moved through it would be slightly snowier. But there you are and it certainly looks like there will be some snow this week.

In the south the high pressure is trying to push up, cut off the Atlantic and let colder air in (initially) and on a number of runs it establishes itself to the extent that it eventually forces the jet back onto a more northerly track. Half term would probably be cold and dry.

Here it is in GFS 12z off in FI.

But if the Atlantic really gets going it could prevent the high pressure from building in which case half term would be milder, but wetter (so more chance of snow, but in lower areas more chance of rain).

Of course there are also options where it gets warm and dry and indeed cold and wet.

Anyway that in a rather Sunday evening type of way is how it looks to me. Time to do some cooking...
ski holidays
Fascinating 18z GFS. Scandinavian High holds strong keeping the Atlantic at bay. [all the following with very low confidence, don't take it too seriously...]

Half term starts cold and dry across the Alps and gets colder, especially in the East.

In FI throws a low into the Mediterranean which would provide snow towards the end of half term.

Briefly warms up a little before getting very cold again as high starts to think about retrogressing towards Greenland...

Doubt it would happen like that, but continues the cold trend.

Nice pub run to end Sunday evening on... wink

Alps D'Huez and Les Deux Alpes

The Arlberg

snow report
Toadman wrote:

Current NOAA forecasts over the next week are calling for the jet stream to hold this pattern and bring cooller, moist low pressures out of the Gulf of AK. Will have some brief warming on Friday as the first of several pacific pressures systems comes into contact with the West Coast mtn ranges, and then hopefully temps decrease as low pressures arrive around Feb. 12-14th.

It would be a very welcome Valentines day gift from Mother Nature, if she brought us some sweet powder Feb. 14th! Very Happy

In any event I will report back what Mother Nature brought for Valentines day.

So this is a day early but Sunday Feb 13th was a pretty good day. Cascade ski areas fm Crystal Mtn up to Mt. Baker were all reporting between 15cm - 18cm overnight. The snow was a bit heavier and wetter with temps around -3C to -5C. Which is good because the snow was sticking to the frozen base underneath. Skied very nice and creamy. Rarely felt the ice below. Some areas at Crystal had easily over 25cm fm wind loading. Dropped a 1 meter cornice and landed in fluffy white powder. More in the forecast for tonight with up to another 15cm forecast. Possibly could see Monday and Tuesday receiving 10cm-15cm each day with temps and freezing levels around 1200 meters.

Colder temps forecast for Whistler Blackcomb and possiblity for some decent snow accumulations this week.

Edit to add that it was a beautiful blue bird day here in Washington State. I'm hoping the jet stream brings some white fluffy snow to the Alps by Monday night/Tuesday morning!

Happy Valentines Day!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes wrote:
kitenski wrote:

kitenski, who made you team leader,this is a open thread forum and nozawaonsen can decide on his own steam if he wishes to answer or not Puzzled

My thoughts too. It's an open forum. Up to nozawaonsen to decide if he keeps posting as a result of others' posts.
snow conditions
achilles, my goodness, don't even think about him not posting. Shocked His posts are amazingly wonderful.
snow report
00z GFS run is interesting. After this week a mid latitude high is ridges over Spain and the British Isle. This allows very cold air from the east to be near or over the Alps. Very dry though. The ensembles back this up with very few runs going over the seasonal average. Even more intriguingly, there's a fair amount of ensemble support for precipitation the week after as well... something to watch.

snow report
Did the Cham snow chant work?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 14-02-11 9:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Does look like there could be some snow about in the Alps this week (and in Scotland). Very Happy

Hopefully there may be some light snow falling in parts of the French Alps as people head home from dinner this evening... (it may help if you don't finish dinner until quite late... so extra glass of champagne etc etc).

More snow coming through on Tuesday and up from the south overnight into Wednesday. Southern French Alps, Milky Way, Andermatt, look like they could do particularly well. But as ever the detail will be decided on the day.

Here is how it could look Wednesday morning (accumulated) on WRF.

Here is another WRF shot (not accumulated) showing snow moving into Switzerland, Austria and North East of Italy on Thursday morning (just to show that there hopefully could be enough to share).

Snowing this morning in Scotland and more coming through midweek.

Half term trend continues to be cold with GFS. With the control joining in now too. ECM follows the trend (though not quite as cold as GFS).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-02-11 9:33; edited 2 times in total
latest report
nozawaonsen, Great news but....
Quote:

Half term trend continues to be cold

Oh for goodness sake! We want a massive dump of snow AND bright sunshine and warm weather Toofy Grin
wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 14-02-11 9:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hey Noz do you ever get to enjoy the European winters that you are so eminently forecasting?
snow report
Boredsurfing, and free beer?
snow report
nozawaonsen, Of course snowHead
snow conditions
I beg to differ...... Cold and snowy this week. Cold and blue-bird for half term. Don't want warm slushy heavy ski afternoon IMHO Cool
snow conditions
RetroBod,

we need the cold first! Hopefully, freezing level back to the valley by thursday - then it can snow all it likes.

gonna pack double thermals for next week though. Toofy Grin
snow report
http://www.meteorologic.net/meteo-france/Tignes_29270.html?date_get=3

i love this sought of optimism ,but alas i think thats all it is, yes it will snow but not that much,infact i wish i could move Valdisere 50 miles south then i think they would be right,fingers crossed i must admit its blooming exciting needing a dump Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy