Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
bar shaker wrote:
The only thing that is worse than no new snow is no new snow and flat light. At least it's been sunny for almost every day for the last 4 weeks.

The jet stream forecast shows it smashing seven buckets out of France next week. I will hang my hat on it bringing some major low pressure systems with associated epic dumps and the drought being well and truly over.

This is the first jet stream forecast to show it crossing central Europe, since early Jan. It could be wrong, but the drought won't end until it is right.

The weather forecasters here in the States are talking about the jet stream finally changing from the 4 week rut it's been in over the continental USA. The reason the weather has been so cold in places like Texas, and the south has been due to the jet stream sagging down to the South fm Montana eastward. Which means cold air fm northern Canada spilling into the lower half of USA. So all that moist warm air is meeting up with the cold dry air over places like Dallas, Texas, Chicago, Illinois instead of meeting over the Sierras and Cascade ranges on the West Coast.This also means less snow for us folks on the West Coast (California, Oregon and Washington) because the jet stream coming off the Pacific has been tracking so far south until it reaches the continental mainland, where it abruptly bends north, blocking any cold air coming down fm northern Canada. The jet stream then tracks in a NE direction, which has given rise to all those storms in New York and the New England states. I suppose that has caused the jet stream crossing the Atlantic to remain North as it hits Europe.

The jet stream shifted slightly to the south on Feb. 6th/7th and brought 15cm-20cm of fresh dry, light powder Feb 8th. (I skied Crystal mtn on Feb 8th in some very light 15cm depth powder, which meant my skis went right down to the frozen layer beneath.) Temps dropped quite a bit during that time frame as cold air fm Gulf of Alaska filtered into Washington and Oregon. The weather models are indicating that the jet stream will continue to shift to a more northerly track across the middle part of the USA, and La Nina conditions for mositure and cold air to mix coming off the Pacific Ocean from the Gulf of Alaska instead of south Pacific, aka "Pineapple Express" where it has been coming fm these past 4 weeks. (Hopefully this means that as the jet stream exits the USA, it tracks more or less straight across, and slightly south to slam right into places like the French and Swiss Alps, where all that moisture it picked up coming across the Atlantic meets some nice cold air. wink )

Current NOAA forecasts over the next week are calling for the jet stream to hold this pattern and bring cooller, moist low pressures out of the Gulf of AK. Will have some brief warming on Friday as the first of several pacific pressures systems comes into contact with the West Coast mtn ranges, and then hopefully temps decrease as low pressures arrive around Feb. 12-14th.

It would be a very welcome Valentines day gift from Mother Nature, if she brought us some sweet powder Feb. 14th! Very Happy

In any event I will report back what Mother Nature brought for Valentines day.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, Yes it's the Jet Stream, Lets all believe, we've all become to negative. It's going to all change in the next few days and we are going to see the most epic Late Feb, March and April in the history of the Alps. We will all be skiing in waist deep powder for the rest of the season. Whichever week you head out, will be a festival of Freshies. Say it with me "SNOW GODAMMIT SNOW" then put your pants on your Head and run into your Garden!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, don't know what came over me Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, oooooo, I hope so. I want epic snow all next week then bluebird days and overnight snow showers for the following week. Will I get lucky?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arteta10, we understand, it's ok, the pressure - it's just all too much.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for being understanding, not easy sometimes when you've become obsessed with the weather.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arteta10 wrote:
, not easy sometimes when you've become obsessed with the weather.

Your not the ony one. We are out at half term and I can't stop looking at the weather for the swiss alps....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't worry it will be fine, the charts will reveal all in the next few runs, Snow a plenty, is'nt that right NOZ......I said isn't that right NOZ!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i am off to courchevel 1850 on Sunday and it will be what it is but...... SNOW GODAMMIT SNOW
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arteta10 wrote:
Say it with me "SNOW GODAMMIT SNOW" then put your pants on your Head and run into your Garden!! snowHead snowHead snowHead

That didn't work...just raining in my garden now!
Any other bright ideas?
Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BOM 12z suggesting some reasonable precipitation and coolish temps SE france on Mon eve
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[Any other bright ideas?]

errrrrrr No. You?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
as01045,

is valdisere se france !!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RetroBod, say it louder and get all snowHead doing the same the collective will always win.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This thread is for those with OCD Toofy Grin

Where's Noza - has he toppped himself under the pressure Puzzled
ski holidays
[img]http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/bome_cartes.php?&ech=102&mode=2&carte=0[/img]
just above the bright green bit in bottom right corner of france
snow report
More later, but there is certainly absolutely no agreement in the models (not even close, see ECM) beyond Wednesday next week.
snow report
nozawaonsen,

but before weds its snowtime!!?? please, before 1/2 empty PHILMES gets back and predicts bone dry and baking hot snowHead Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

1/2 empty PHILMES

rolling eyes for goodness' sake, give it a rest. When people are doing their best to give as clear and accurate a read out from the (complex and contradictory) data that's out there, they can do without that kind of daftness.

You've already had to apologize for rudeness once....
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
RetroBod, say it louder and get all snowHead doing the same the collective will always win.

C'mon then.......

Callling all snowheads.......

SNOW godammit SNOW (is that loud enough?)
snow conditions
Quote:

You've already had to apologize for rudeness once..

said in good jest by another poster this morning pam and taken as such by Philmes
snow report
pam w,

excuse me please, did you read the tread through someone else mentioned he was a bit negative 1/2 full etci think it was tongue in cheek i was just joining in playfully,me thinks your to quick to judge as you have previosly been victim off,if you read back all my comments in relation to noza ,most of it from my side was very much tongue in cheek,of course i know things dont always come through on text as they are meant,but for pete,s sake give a guy a break,there is such a thing as sarcasim and please dont mention the wit thing,i know its hard predicting,and people are paid alot of money to try and fail and the guys here are unpaid and devoting their time,i know all that,but if you predict expect to be wrong and occassionally told so,i get it all the time,so please back off kindlypam w,
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen, thank you sir
latest report
It was me who said it! It was meant in good humour!
snow report
and so was my comment but thanks for owning upgarethjomo, snowHead
ski holidays
kitenski said
Quote:

garethjomo wrote:

Quote:
philmes, You seem very negative every day. You definitely a glass half empty man. It's not looking like any huge dumps but a good chance of some snow to freshen up the pistes even if they won't cover all the off piste.

I think he is telling it like it is, not much sign of any significant snow next week, I'd prefer realism to rose tinted glasses any day.

I'd agree with kitenski - and philmes, in response to the earlier "half empty" jibe, said he was just "telling it like it is". What he and others are doing is interpreting, for those of us with less knowledge, the messages coming out of the different models. That's not a straightforward task. If we don't like what we're being told, there's sometimes a temptation to shoot the messenger and we have already lost at least one good SHs amateur meteo man because of the stick dished out. Why should they stick around to be moaned at?)
ski holidays
pam w, I was actually agreeing with his prediction but i'm a half full man! I'm sure if he'd have minded he'd have told me!!
latest report
pam w, oh dear
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Right back to topic then eh - Noza has left us with a wee tease

Hope its what we are all waiting......... for snow in Val D

oh hang on - i'm not off to val d..... i'm off to austria..... brainwashing i tell thee Very Happy

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 10-02-11 21:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I must admit I am a bit of a snow head voyeur. But this thread is my first go to for weather up dates. Keep up the good weather owls work and hopefully the snow will come soon.
ski holidays
Gpjersey, addictive isn't it! But not always in a good way... Embarassed
latest report
pam w, I think you're referring to Carled who I believe got fed up and stopped posting. The banter 2 years ago with Carled and Brian was fantastic.
snow report
As I said last week, que sera, sera. Or get dancing.
snow conditions
Gpjersey, welcome to snowheads fellow bean
ski holidays
Retracted

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 10-02-11 22:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, I'd say you were wrong. But I shall refrain from making any rude remarks about your posts.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, I wouldn't have said negative... often simply realistic, erring on the side of caution rather than optimism... but I can see how in a snow forecast thread it could be seen as negative...

pam w, meoww Laughing
snow conditions
Thanks to everyone making useful contributions to the Weather Outlook thread Very Happy
snow conditions
Not a weather expert myself but have been reading the Cybervalloire forum (they have some knowledgeable weather guys) and they are predicting between 10-15cm next week but could be less (or hopefully more), depending on how things evolve. They agree with the guys here that it looks very very uncertain after next Weds/Thurs. They are talking about sacrificing chickens yet again Shocked - getting desperate I think.

pam w, I must say I've found a lot of your posts extremely helpful and interesting.
ski holidays
Retracted

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 10-02-11 22:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy