Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Soll in Austria on the 19th, can't make head nor tail of these pressure charts so could someone with more knowledge possibly enlighten me to the possibility of snow between 19th and 25th of February? Forecasts are saying like 1 cm of snow, but I'm not very trusting of weather forecasts!

Thanks guys Smile

D
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
12z GFS continues to look good for next week with the potential for snow around 14th February and then again later in the week around the 17th.

Temperatures could still be of concern though in lower level resorts (snow falling at 1200m to 1500m) though it is still too far out to have real confidence either in that it will snow or what the temperatures will be. That said the trend for snow in the Alps next week continues to look good as we draw closer.

TheDelaney too far off to have any sense of what the conditions will be like then. There is a reasonable chance there will be some fresh snow in Austria before you arrive.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you are still responding to me ( said sorry) on different page,when do you get confident that a forecast will come good? ie one to two days out or cant see anything on the webcams,i,m going to Valdisere 19th feb,and i,m encoraged by the trends that point to snow( and happy re the height of Valdisere and the possible high snowline) .are there any more signs of the high pressure building a blocking over Spain which a previous snowhead alluded to earlier, appreciate your imput,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philmes wrote:
06z operational continues to reassert high pressure influence over over Spain and France. That's not great news.

this snowheads comment
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Philmes was I think referring to something which might happen in 11 days time, so whilst it is worth watching I'm not too concerned about it at this stage.

As for next week I guess if this pattern is still strong tomorrow evening it would start to look probable. Then I suppose confidence depends on how much detail you are trying to read into what might happen.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Temperatures could still be of concern though in lower level resorts (snow falling at 1200m to 1500m)

nozawaonsen can you say whether this is true accross the Alps or just the French Alps? I'm interested in the resorts in the Eastern Alps.

Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen wrote:
Philmes was I think referring to something which might happen in 11 days time, so whilst it is worth watching I'm not too concerned about it at this stage.

As for next week I guess if this pattern is still strong tomorrow evening it would start to look probable. Then I suppose confidence depends on how much detail you are trying to read into what might happen.

thank you
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GFS continues to look good and the ECMWF looks fairly tasty from a precipitation perspective...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How long before everyone starts panicking as airports close right, left and centre and the entire half term travel scene gets bogged down in hours of snowy chaos?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not looking especially snowy for the UK at the moment.

Could change of course...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Off to La Giettaz, France....22 Feb, can you please arrange lots of snow for the week before, sun for the week we are there, with snowshowers each night as a little top up. Cheers.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A woman in work with me has cancelled her half term ski holiday because of conditions!!! I've told her there's loads of skiing available and we may have snow before then! She told me there won't be any snow in France this month...At that point I walked away.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kersh, on the basis of this evening's 12z GFS then yes it could be something to watch in Austria too (perhaps fluctuating between 900m and 1400m in and around Salzburg).

But the temperature beyond this weekend is still rather in question depending on how far east the cold temperatures reach and is shifting quite a bit from run to run (and other models have the temperatures much cooler, BOM for example). Overall I would have this in the something to watch rather than something to worry about category for the moment.

Continuing indications of light snow possibly coming into Austria this Friday, though it looks a little marginal this evening. Let's see.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
garethjomo, she's obviously not a Snowhead! wink

nozawaonsen, thanks.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nozawaonsen, I love the BOM - iirc it was the BOM that first spotted the cold snap in November! ..... (cough, cough) er what's the BOM? Very Happy
ski holidays
philmes wrote:
It's not looking especially snowy for the UK at the moment.

Could change of course...

Want the snow in Europe not in UK stopping us getting out!!
snow conditions
Mattmulkeen, BOM stands for Bureau of Meteorology, the Australian equivalent of the Met Office. I only really mentioned it to flag up that several models are currently still suggesting a colder evolution for next week (in particular for Austria) and the trend for temperatures is still far from settled for next week, other than it will likely be cooler than this week.
snow report
Cheers noza - fingers crossed the Aussies are right!
ski holidays
18z GFS looking pretty sweet again. Looks like the snow drought may be ending in the next seven days!
ski holidays
Classy 18z GFS operational. Not to be taken too seriously, but it would certainly not be dry...

Light snow into Austria Friday evening. Tick.

Snow into the Alps 14/15 Feb. Tick.

Heavy snow into Alps 17 Feb. Tick (possible rain though at lower levels end of next week).

Heavy snow into Alps week after. Tick (obviously now well into FI so very low confidence).

Colder temperatures rolling in from the East and more snow. Tick (deep FI so no confidence).

wink
ski holidays
nozawaonsen SUMMED UP THE 18Z WELL very well infact.

Lovely trends now turning wet.

On the high over spain. I shall say this only once.

A high over spain is never such a problem if its top edge is south of the pyrenees. In fact, it can ensure a westerly airflow and allow for some nice battleground scenarios over its northern edge bumping in to cooler air coming off continental feeds. Remember clockwise circulation around a high, anticlockwise around a low....I wont elaborate for simplicity reasons any further than that.

The problem over the past few weeks is the high has been well over spain and france, deflecting moisture more north (or south).

The GFS shows some lovely potential, high pressure to the south with low pressures being squeezed across france. A newer trend.

As nozawaonsen said to me the other night, nothing worse than when an event is shown for a set day, but every day you get closer it moves a day away. That was Saturday he said that (I think), its now late Tuesday, it still shows a (wetter) scenario for the 14th for france and at least snow for most places across the western alps (switzerland and itlay) from 14th-17th next week.

Id say a trend away from dry and clear is almost a given (id be more happy if charts showed this come fri). Thus, next 48 hours (or 8 model runs) need to firm up the trend.

I wasnt supposed to check this tonight, but im really willing snow for france, know they are styruggling in some resorts at the mo!
snow conditions
and the 00z perpetuates the cooling trend - possibly very cold in the FI, with a Valentine snowfall to kick it off..
snow conditions
Certainly would be a colder GFS 00z operational into FI and drier too, but I'm not too convinced about the evolution from hi res to low res. And the same period marks a massive split between the operational and the control. So there may be something up.

Overall another good set of ensembles though.
snow report
How does Austria fair among all of this chop and change. Much cold and precip?
snow conditions
RetroBod,

Staying too warm at the moment for those of us heading to the ski welt on the 19th - need the freezing level to fall.
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen, to be honest with you that's exactly what it does in this morning's operational run. Dropping nearly 15C over two days.

Mayrhofen (not too far from Soll)

Not too convinced by it though as I mentioned above, but it is certainly an option as previous runs have shown. 19 February is too far off at present. And beside a general trend (which could easily change) towards cooler and wetter weather I'm not sure I'd be confident to add much more for the half term week at this stage.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 9-02-11 10:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Would it be fair to say,though that the ski welt is not so snow dry as parts of France? My only concern is warm daytime temps. It still seems cool enough at night to blow snow?
ski holidays
.if there's any water left
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen,

Aye i did see the massive fall in temps at the end of next week - but after four years of reading this thread and taking on sagely advice from yourself and your predecessors - i dont look much further than 6 days ahead. Temps seem to be staying stubbornly high into the early part of next week at the roly mo and thats a bit frustrating.

Saying that it does look colder towards the back end of next week - as you weather people say..... lets see where we are after a few more runs.

Cheers for all your input.
ski holidays
garethjomo wrote:
A woman in work with me has cancelled her half term ski holiday because of conditions!!! I've told her there's loads of skiing available and we may have snow before then! She told me there won't be any snow in France this month...At that point I walked away.

Which company? Potential for a cheap deal for someone!!
latest report
Mattmulkeen, fair point!

RetroBod, you might find someone able to offer a current view on the Austria thread. My impression is that lower French resorts have been suffering the worst. Significantly much of Austria received 30 to 50cm of snow two weeks ago which did not reach France.

As others have mentioned the decision to run snow cannons will depend on the amount left in reservoirs and the power costs of running them up till now. Again French resort managers may be being faced with some slightly more complex decisions given the need to preserve remaining resources (water and financial). And of course temperatures will need to be low enough.

At present temperatures do look like they will trend down (the snow line looks like it will be around 1200m next week in the Tirol, plus or minus) and the chances of snow look like increasing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-02-11 10:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
NOZAWAONSEN do you have a wiggle graph for Valdisere! or close by
ski holidays
phillip33,

http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/grab_gfs.php
snow report
Mattmulkeen wrote:
phillip33,

http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/grab_gfs.php
thanks Mattmulkeen,
snow report
nozawaonsen, do you think Murren in the Jungfrau Region Switzerland will get much snow before the 20th ??
ski holidays
GFS operational continues to promise to break the snow drought, though the timescales continue to get pushed back a bit. First real precipitation in the French Alps now looks like starting on the 16th. In the Three Valleys for example, about 15cm is forecast with a freezing level of 1200m.
ski holidays
I'd expect the situation to change as we get nearer to next week....
snow report
kitenski wrote:
I'd expect the situation to change as we get nearer to next week....

In what way?

edit: the details will obviously change, but the trend is good.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 9-02-11 12:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
about 15cm is forecast with a freezing level of 1200m.[/quote]

where did that show up, the gfs i,m looking at is still showing activity from the 13th onward,there are no actual figures,is that another site,sorry a novice
snow report
as a general question, when you refer to ""lower resorts" what sort of height are we talking? <1800m? <1500m?

i recall a stay in meribel two years ago and even in meribel itself it was horrible rain on our last day, whereas a scoot up the slope in the lift to about 1800m or so and the snow was falling nicely

we're heading to sainte foy on the 27th Feb this year. cover is looking ok, even at resort level which i think is about 1500m
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy