Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
paulio, are you being deliberately difficult? Read the link. It is often very much warmer up a mountain than down in a valley. That's what inversion is about. Davidof tried to explain. That's why waynos said that they can only blow snow on the LOW pistes, because the up on the HIGH pistes it's too WARM.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James The Last said a MINIMUM of 0.5 degrees drop per 100m of climb.

i.e. it's MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for it to be colder higher up.

He's a weather expert, so that's good enough for me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, WHY are we both WRITING some words IN capital LETTERS?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
paulio, are you being deliberately difficult?

H enjoys it and it gives people a bit of a laugh during a long work day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio wrote:

Eh?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Look, it's very simple. The middle of the Earth is very hot (over 400 degrees), and space is very cold.

So the higher up you go, the colder it gets.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Until a certain point when you start to get close to the sun, then it gets warmer again! As Icarus discovered. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well either this link is faked

http://www.vialattea.it/Data/vialattea_it/Webcam/collebercia1.jpg
or this one
http://www.meteo-system.com/stazioni/sestriere/sestriere.jpg

or some snow ( in excess of 1cm ) has fallen somewhere - and its at least where i am going
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, you really haven't got the idea of temperature inversion, have you? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You lot are funny.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
14 degrees this morning.....its getting warmer on the south coast. May have another BBQ this evening Cool

Water temperature has only dropped 1 degree since summer so might even get a bit of swimming in.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris wrote:
stanton, I'm ignoring your posts on weather on principle - frequently over the last few years you have assured us that going skiing was a waste of time as there would be nothing to ski on.

Have been skiing on each occassion

Thankyou for your expert opinion.
Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, that model is looking nice for the night between the 24th and 25th November! For the whole of the Alps even. We can but dream i suppose. most of my local friends here and hereabouts who work in the ski areas in winter are not too worried yet.

Still too early to worry too much. Loads of Eastern Europeans on the road home last night with skis etc on/in their cars. Is it a big holiday in the Czech Republic and Poland this weekend? The glaciers are going to be heaving! As I remember they were this time last year as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
especially for Paulio Twisted Evil

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
espri wrote:
There's an interesting article (in German) from [b]wetteronline.de..........

Was that an Echo of my post a few posts up? Very Happy
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/Gfyz2ZEKJzo
snow report
I like those lasers being fired into the sky from those houses. Is that why the air is warmer higher up in the second picture?
ski holidays
All the weather models you can think of , have fun !

http://www.westwind.ch/
snow conditions
Can anybody advise on whether there has ever been a winter anywhere where there has really been no snow in ski resorts?

I've been skiing since '88 (that's 19 not 18 wink) and have always been lucky enough to have had decent snow. However, I think it was in about January 1990 when the TV news showed the French Alps as all green and ski resorts laying on mountain biking and hiking instead of sking Shocked . Did they end up with snow that winter?
snow report
paulio wrote:

He's a weather expert, so that's good enough for me.

He didn't write that at all. Or at least, he caveated it. (And no, he's not a weather expert, but thanks!)
snow report
paulio, Don't forget in Annecy you will suffer from the Lake Effect on the weather. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I, for one, am enjoying paulio's alternative weather thread.
maybe its warm higher up the mountain because thats where the sheep, cows and goats are, and those bugs fart like troopers.
latest report
SNOWFORECAST.COM have some cold temps modelled and a bit of snow arriving in Morzine next week...
snow conditions
The blocking pattern sitting over eastern Europe is weakening and will lose it's influence next week. Temperatures are forecast to drop and the snow will follow.

Now stop worrying!
latest report
Thanks, I will relax and wax!
snow report
andyhull wrote:
The blocking pattern sitting over eastern Europe is weakening and will lose it's influence next week. Temperatures are forecast to drop and the snow will follow.

Now stop worrying!

Inflation is predicted to drop below 2% too
latest report
Hmm, I just have a feeling that the weather gods will torment us for a bit yet, however, I also have a feeling it is going to be one of these years where it starts to snow and then doesn't stop for weeks. snowHead

What odds will you give me that the festive season skiers will be on here moaning that they couldn't see ten feet in front of them and had to learn to ski powder as the bashers couldn't piste it fast enough wink

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 17-11-11 21:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Getting there the top half of the mountain opens this weekend.

Alpine Snow Depth (2061m / 6762') 74.0 cm / 29.1 in
Mid Mountain Snow Depth
Updated at 10:55AM on November 17
Located at the top of the Sunburst Express (1855m / 6086') 49.8 cm / 19.6 in
It is across the pond

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Loads of Eastern Europeans on the road home last night with skis etc on/in their cars.....
On a pedantic note....wouldn't 'the road home' be taking them to Eastern Europe and not to the Austrian glaciers wink ??

Quote:

The glaciers are going to be heaving! As I remember they were this time last year as well.
We skied Stubai and Hintertux at the back end of last week. Stubai's overspill parking was well in use but the glacier never seemed to get that busy on the Thurs and Fri. Meanwhile, Hintertux was heaving on the Saturday (some pistes plagued by dangerous boy racers) but a lot quieter on the Sunday.
ski holidays
Yeah Pitztal and Kaunertal were rammed last weekend...lots of poles and czechs
ski holidays
stanton, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
mountainaddict, No, I was on the road home, and they were annoying me by blocking it or tailgating me! Evil or Very Mad

I always thought they would drive through Slovakia but apparently the roads are shoite and it is quicker to use the German autobahns and make a biiiiiiig loop around Slovakia and cause "chaos" on our roads. Laughing
Actually it was surprisingly busy all along the A8 in an easterly direction and also a fair number going down the A93 towards Kufstein. Normally, by the time I pootle out of work on a Wednesday, the road is fairly clear. Puzzled
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, Yep, I really liked the Iron Curtain Little Angel
latest report
robboj, Did have it's uses didn't it Laughing
snow report
Quote:

No, I was on the road home
I guessed that - it was (as usual) my misguided attempt at humour.... Confused

Quote:

that model is looking nice for the night between the 24th and 25th November! For the whole of the Alps even.
....Since your post, that night's now looking dry everywhere!! Wish it would make its mind up!! France looking like it's going to get a fair bit of precipitation - but Austria still looking dry for the whole model run.....Puzzled
ski holidays
mountainaddict, It is too far away for it to be taken seriously. Early last week it had us buried under precipitation this coming weekend, now there's nowt. It keeps me amused between translations, sometimes!
snow report
Coming to a resort near you/us????

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article76455.ece
snow conditions
Despite a lack of snow, Ischgl is starting to look positively white. Good PR getting this out.

http://youtube.com/v/hOzFdgCphq4

Who needs snow?
ski holidays
Quote:

Coming to a resort near you/us????

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article76455.ece

Ah! the depths to which they descend in the absence of a decent phone tap.

It has been unseasonably warm, until last weekend.

A very unseasonally cold -2C in Geneva when I opened the front door yesterday...
snow report
Can somebody PLEASE explain 'inversion' to under a new name.

God, some people.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy