Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau

Poster: A snowHead
carolyn, Will come and say hello to you Carolyn, 3 of us are coming out on the 30th. Is there anything you miss that I can bring you, my parents used to live in Greece in the 80's and there were some home comforts you just couldn't buy. Let me know anyway.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zobo, that is very kind of you, I think my boys would be most grateful for a Cadburys Creme Egg or two if that's no trouble! We love the local Milka chocolate but there is something about a creme egg....
We had snow last night for a while but seems to have stopped. Local radio says it will be dry and cold this week, will let you know if they change their minds! Hope you have a great time in Niederau and look forward to meeting you Zobo! Carolyn
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carolyn, Not a problem. Are you opposite Fereindorf Wildshoenau?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Carolyn I am travelling to Niederau on the 27th February for a week with my boyfriend and 2 friends, we are hoping to stay at the Pension Diane although we havent booked yet. Do you know what this guest house is like? We are all first time skiers and quite nervous! If you have any useful information about the place and the skiing that would be great as we are a bit out of our element (we've only ever been on beach holidays...decided to try something new to see what it's like!).

Thanks, Lauren
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
unoriginal_uk, You have picked the best place to learn to ski. Niederau is a beautiful village with friendly locals and has a great atmostphere about it. Carolyn is better equipt to tell you more.
I learnt to ski there about 8 years ago, has all my family since then. We do go to other places but Niederau keeps pulling us back. You will have a great time Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,
We are up on the Sonnberg overlooking the chairlift, you may be thinking of the Margit opposite the Feriendorf? It is a 20 minute walk from the village which is why we have a minibus for our guests who don't bring cars (or fancy a drink!) Thanks so much for the offer of the creme eggs Smile
Lauren, great news as Zobo says, you have picked a wonderful place to learn, we have a fantastic Ski School - the Reds - and I have stayed many times in the Diane over the years, very nice as I remember. The name stems from a lady who flipped a coin with her brother and won a trip here many many years ago and fell for a Ski Instructor called Roland and they started the Diane. and she stayed here ever after! She has since passed away but her husband still runs it I think, and it is still very popular, especially with the English. Hope you have a great time. You can contact the Ski School via a link on our web site www.auhof.co.at and our webcam has a view of the Diane - will be up and back in action soon. Time for me to stop rambling now and just say that it is snowing heavily at the moment and just below freezing. Cheers, Carolyn
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carolyn, you've just made my day Carolyn. Yep will have a walk up to you whilst we are there and drop in the Cream eggs! Keep the weather updates coming, they are greatly appreciated, thanks Zoe.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thankyou Zoe and Carolyn, it's reassuring to know that the hotel is nice, I always worry a bit when booking a new hotel for the first time! Great story behind it also, and good to know that its popular with us English folk!

I just have a couple of questions if thats ok?! I'm in two minds as to whether its best to book ski equipment to hire in advance, or whether just to wait to hire stuff when we get there? Yes it is the Reds school that we hope to get into the classes of, although we were hoping that you are able to book 3-day tuition courses as the 6day course may be too intense for us!

Additionally, the whole lift pass thing is confusing me somewhat. Again, is it better to wait until we get there to book the lift pass? And can we book on a daily basis in case one day we decide not to ski?

I shall keep checking until your webcam is working again in the meantime...it would be amazing to see where we are going live before we come!

Thanks Lauren
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Lauren, You'll love Niederau. I learnt to ski in Niederau with the red ski school, and was hooked. I've skied in other places, but I still like to return to Niederau, as it's such a friendly place, and even though it's not a massive ski area, it always fascinates me how there's so many different ways to ski each slope. I can't wait till I go back there in February - it's like meeting old friends.

To save time, I'd book your ski equipment before you go. Click on to the ski set website direct from here, and you will be able to hire through the margereiter hire shop. I think you get a 20% discount. The quality of the equipment is really good, and it's pretty reasonable too. I think it works out quite a bit cheaper than hiring in resort, and it'll certainly save a bit of time on your first morning.

You can book 3 days ski school, but I'd seriously consider doing the full 6 days. You'll learn so much over the course of the week, and the instructors will be able to take you to different parts of the resort as you improve through the week. The instructors really are fantastic, and patient, and are great at managing a group of people and knowing when to keep going or have a rest. They also make the lessons soooo much fun. In my experience I always find the third day the hardest.

You can buy a daily pass (a points system) but I'm not sure how that works. I'm sure Carolyn will be able to fill you in. The weeks pass is 154Euro plus the 2Euro refundable deposit for the card and you can buy it in resort on your first morning. Just go to the desk by the main gondola.

There's a good apres ski in Niederau, make sure you have a visit to the sport cafe (on the main street) and Bobo's (at the bottom of the main gondola). It's great fun

Anyway, sorry for rambling so much. I'm sure you'll have a great time, and once you've tried sking, you'll be hooked.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,
Thanks Blodyn for your tips - you are right about the 6 days, I think, everyone is in the same boat as regards stamina and we hold a guest race with a great prize giving evening on the thursdays which you won't want to miss! You won't need a list pass till the afternoon of your first day and normally the instructors tell you when to go and get the tickets but by the end of the week you will be up the gondola no worries! Think the points cards are only really if you aren't going to go on the lifts very much, more cost effective to get the weeks worth!
Weather a bit mixed today, sunshine and clouds taking turns and we are set for the same but colder tomorrow according to the radio. Have just received the parts for the web cam so hopefully we will be able to get it going shortly!
Cheers, Carolyn
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gorgeous clear blue skies and sunshine and cold today. Carolyn
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grey, miserable and cold and that's just me Laughing Only 10 sleeps yippee!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You made the right choice to come here, then! I do hope we can keep up the good weather for you. Still clear and cold and snow fine. Forecasting snow tomorrow, will let you know. Carolyn
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, we had a few inches more snow and it is still cold. Seems to be clearing up a little but visibility is ok - I can see the mountain from the kitchen ok! Carolyn
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lovely sunshine yesterday and the snow was excellent - was out skiing in the afternoon so I can say from experience! A few clouds today but think the sun will get through soon and it is still minus 3 so snow all good. Cheers, Carolyn
ski holidays
Lucky you Carolyn, thanks for the weather reports, keep them coming Smile
ski holidays
Thanks very much for the updates - I really appreciate it. I think I'm becoming obsessed with the Austrain weather forecast!! I'm crossing my fingers that it continues like this for the next 3 weeks at least.
ski holidays
Hi,
Glad they are of use! Hope you have as good conditions when you arrive. Clear and very cold again last night.
We have a weather forecast on our website and although it is not an exact science, it seems to be good at the snow forecasting but has been saying cloudy for the last few weeks and we have had loads of sun! Today it is minus 4 and part sun and part cloud at the moment. Snow still good and the forecvast says a few more cms this week. Will let you know. Cheers, Carolyn
snow report
A quick update - gorgeous sunshine again, and for those of you who have been wondering, our webcam is better now so have a look for yourseves Smile www.auhof.co.at Carolyn
snow conditions
Looks fantastic Carolyn seems a sharper picture than before, 5 more sleeps. Will bob up to you 1 day before skiing, are you around most days or whats the best time to catch you there? Creme eggs will be fresh in those temps! Very Happy
latest report
Thank yooooooou! That's great. I can now sit in work and get my daily fix of Niederau, and look forward to my next visit. thank you! Very Happy
latest report
Hi,
Lots of snow overnight and going strong as I write! Zobo, that is so kind of you, I work in the ski school from 10 till 3.30 sunday to friday but am home the rest of the time recovering! Actually it is a fabulous job as compared to the years of teaching on a dry slope! The forecast is still saying snow all week now but will keep you posted as we go. So glad you like the camera Blodyn, I know it has gone black again but this is just temporary, my husband is the expert and is on the case! Cheers, Carolyn
ski holidays
Hi Carolyn - we are probably coming over 2nd week in March for a bit of ski and lots of chilling out. We have been to Niederau twice but haven't been skiing for about 3 years. I think all we would need is a little refeshing and reminding of the slopes - to begin with, anyway. What would you suggest we do in terms of lessons? Given the credit crunch, we want to minimise of tuition really. Do you work at the Red ski school? We learnt to ski with Evie in 2006 - she was a great teacher!

Hello to Super Eagle & Alex Heney too, who we met there a couple of years ago. Niederau is a fantastic place!
ski holidays
Hi,
Still snowing.......
Muffin I do indeed work for the red ski school, and Evie is still going strong! I think you are right to have some lessons after a while away from sking. Maybe a morning private lesson would set you up rather than a whole week course? Mind you the courses are great fun and you get a goo team athmosphere going on! You can also join a group for just a couple of days and then go it alone with the option of staying on if you so choose. Whatever you choose, do have a great time and for skiing and chilling Niederau is the place to be! Cheers Carolyn
ski holidays
Hi, there was lots of snow yesterday and the skiing was wonderful! Stll very cold but looks clear this morning. Cheers, Carolyn
snow conditions
hi all,

thinking of booking Niederau for the week commencing 20th feb. 2010, did i read somewhere that this was half term in austria?, ie is it going to be really busy.

what will the conditions be like around then?

Cheers
snow report
Hi,

Half term here in Austria is 8th feb, and we have all our English guests the following week so I don't think you will have school holidays although it is still high season and we for example, are almost full that week. Conditions are typically very good and we have excellent snow and sunshine with cold temperatures at the moment. It is usually like this all through February but with the sun a bit higher the lower slopes will be even more sunny. Do hope you have a good time, and enjoy our piece of heaven! Carolyn
latest report
carolyn, when are your lifts scheduled to close. We are thinking about having a few days in the village on our way back to Les Gets early March - idly looking at websites and the Austria Hotel seems to have prices that go up to 6th or 7th March and no further. Will they just be seeing what the weather does by that stage?

Have not had a Niederau fix for about three years so feel in need of it again!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi,

Well you are in luck, we are still open at Easter, beginning of April which is our last weekend of the season so do come on over and have your fix! Maybe the Austria is closing but I doubt it because we seem to be quite busy then. You can always come to the Auhof apartment house!!! We have cold and clear again today with great snow today - can't wait to get out there..... Carolyn
snow report
Hi, We had glorious sunshine all day yesterday and this morning it started snowing and we have had LOADS of of the stuff! Beautiful. Carolyn
snow report
Hi

After all your recent snowfall have just booked the Hafenwirt for 27th Feb. Learned to ski in Niederau 20 years ago and had many family holidays there. Haven't been for a while so i'm looking forward to seeing all the changes especially the new chair up to the Lanerkopfl (my favorite run). Missed the webcam when it was down, I think it was your pics that finally got me to book. wink

Chris
snow conditions
Hi Chris, The new chair up the Lanerkopfl is great, and I agree it is my fave run as well! I have been coming now for 10 years with my family and Niederau is still brilliant!! I stay at The Alpenland, which is great for us. Have a good holiday! Dave
snow report
Hey, Glad you are enjoying the camera again and coming to paradise for a while! Sunshine all day today and amazing snow - excellent. Carolyn
ski holidays
Thanks Dave.
Have skied all over Europe and felt I have skied many a resort out within a week, bored no new challenges etc but despite this being about the 15th time in Niederau have always just felt like it was coming home. Usually stayed in the Schneeberger but no availability there when I booked. Would like to have stayed at the Auhof but flights from Newcastle without the package seem to be non existant. Looking forward to paradise.
Chris
snow conditions
Hi, Well wherever you stay I hope it is all you wish for - just finished a fabulous week with lovely conditions and great people. Looking forward to next week, more snow and colder weather is forecast I believe. Have just met Zobo and must thank her again for the creme eggs she brought me! Carolyn
latest report
Hi all,

I have now booked Niederau for the week of the 20th Feb, Very Happy, and have a few questions. We are staying in the Harfenwirt.

Where is the best place to book ski pass and are there any discounts for a beginners pass?

Ski School recommendations, seem to be the Red School, i assume that they do beginners and intermediate lessons, is the best place to book through their website?

Ski Hire, have looked at the skiset website, seems like reasonable rates, any other possibilities?

and finally, does the ski school meet near the harfenwirt? if not are there any lockers in town for stashing your stuff.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
latest report
Hello,

Well the Harfenwirt is a great place to stay, and yes, the Red Ski School is the place to go. Not only are they particularly good, all speak good English and great fun, but they meet at the Harfenwirt (well outside it!) for your convenience. You can buy lift passes at the gondola station which is in the main village and close to the ski school. You can book in advance on the ski school website or make sure you are in the office at 9 on the sunday and all will be ok. As for ski hire, well I would recommend Margareiter which is just opposite the ski school - rates are good and the equipment is also very good in my experience. Do have a great time and let us all know how it goes! Still snowing ..... Carolyn
snow report
Hi Carolyn,
Just returned from my first visit to Niederau on Sat. Had a fantastic time.. and yes my zebra hat made an appearance on the slopes! Thank you so much for having the web cam and posting weather news on here - I'm so addicted to the cam! Everyone is so friendly and we had such a good time... going back to work on Tuesday to book the same week off work next year so we can come back... just a shame we can't squeeze another week in this year! Our flight home got delayed we were so hoping we could have an extra day.. but sadly wasn't to be even with everything crossed!
Have a great season and we are so looking forward to seeing everyone again next year! Red Ski school is the way to go even with a dodgy knee! Andreas is just great and clearly loves his job so much! Shame he doesn't want to swap snowHead
Charlotte
snow conditions
Ah, Glad you had such a great time, Andreas is such a character and will be here smiling when you get back next time! We have sunshine and minus 3 today and I'm off any minute now. Cheers, carolyn
snow conditions
OMG I wonder if you are talking about the same Andreas that taught my husband and I on our first ever ski trip back in 1987?? We saw him when we went the following year...but were not fortunate enough to be in his group! We last saw him around 1999 when we took our 2 small children to Niederau for their first ever trip. We had lunch and a few beers with him! He would be 50 ish now. He was a good looking chap with sort of dark blonde hair! We would love to come back to Niederau soon.....maybe Easter for a few days??
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy