Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V Snow 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
I would imagine by the 24th you will be fine... with my luck it will dump on 17th!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
russ_e, best not to worry, you can't change what nature throws at you .... yet
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
russ_e wrote:
We go on the 24th, so I'm starting to get a little worried. Though it can all change overnight Smile

Starting to get a bit worried about what??? There's plenty of snow and cold temps are going to keep it there. Previous years lower runs have been shut or strips of artificial surrounded by green fields in January!

Chill out!

regards,

Greg
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
7 of us are heading out on the 17th. so far, although it would be nice for a bit more snow, it doesnt look too bad to me - certainly better than a couple of years ago!

would be interested to know from anyone out there as to whether it is possible to ski down to chandon in the current conditions - we are staying in a chalet there and the blue run, villages, sneaks down through the trees according to the piste map.

more snow or not, i cant wait - not skiied the 3V before so looking forward to a change!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Merinet.Com Meribel Snow Report
by Caroline Sayer | 3 Valleys Resort Reporter

The pistes are quiet again

The good news is that it’s snowing in Meribel. The bad news (to use British Rail’s famous expression) is it’s “the wrong sort of snow”. The pistes have been fairly hard recently and we could do with a proper dump of snow to soften them up. This cloudy and snowy weather is moving in from the South-east, a direction which only ever brings us light snowfalls in the Three Valleys. It is also extremely cold (-14C on the summits, -10C in the resort this morning) so the light snow that has fallen is ultra-light and dry. This dry snow simply doesn’t adhere to the hard snow beneath, but gets scraped straight off. However, all snow is welcome and this latest fall has whitened up the resort and made the trees pretty once more.

I hope I'm not breaking copyright pasting up Caroline's snow reports on here... Lovely pictures on the website too, we would have died for these conditions in the drought years around 1990 snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
papillion_rouge, Skiing is certainly possible down to Le Raffort at the moment, and Chardon is only a short way further on. In two weeks time? who knows!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
papillion_rouge wrote:
would be interested to know from anyone out there as to whether it is possible to ski down to chandon in the current conditions - we are staying in a chalet there and the blue run, villages, sneaks down through the trees according to the piste map.

Which area is it in? Both courchevel.com and meribel.com allow you to see or read which runs are open on a daily basis, ie meribel one is here:

http://www.meribel-alpina.com/en/Piste-opening/index.html

and M Mott one is here:

http://www.skiplan.com/skiplan/infostation.php?p_station=meribel-mottaret&p_region=alpes&p_pays=france&p_stationformate=Meribel-Mottaret&lang=en
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Patch, kitenski, thanks for that - looking at the first link kitenski, both the runs which head down to le raffort and chandon are both shown as red, so i assume thats closed! Sad

whether that means not skiiable is a different matter though.... Smile

and like you said Patch, in two weeks, who knows!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

We go on the 24th, so I'm starting to get a little worried.

with 17 days to go rolling eyes .. chill man the snow will come i guarantee it Toofy Grin im out on sat and the snow will defo be great.. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hehe, I know it's 17 days but I can't stop looking at the snow reports!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From the VT side of the valley it appears possible to use the blue Villages run to ski to Chandon.

Is it possible to ski back to Chandon from the Altiport area, possibly via Meribel Village (with a hop over a road I suppose) or do you have to ski back to Chaudanne first and then get the gondola (or else catch Roc de Fer and take the Villages run)?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I going out on the 17th and i've been looking at the snow reports from November! Embarassed

Please Please Please let there not be ice!! Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am going on the 17th, I have learnt that getting stressed about the snow is not gonna help ! It will be fine, the webcams show that the snow looks good. just chill and enjoy the normal 'i'm going on holiday' buzz
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skittler, Welcome to Snowheads. It's not possible to ski from the Altiport side of Meribel to Chandon, unless you like to walk a lot, because you'd need to cross a fairly deep gully ( the one that the Olympic Gondola follows up from Brides). So you have three choices: Bus, Roc de Fer/Plan de l'Homme lift and the Villages run, or the Gondola to Le Raffort.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
It will be fine, the webcams show that the snow looks good. just chill and enjoy the normal 'i'm going on holiday' buzz

That's better! wink
snow report
I'm out on the 17th too & have to admit to getting a little snow obsessed! One thing tho, at least it's cold - unlike that big snow-free high that sat over France for over a month last yr. I remember sweating my way down slush-bumped Aigle into Mottaret at 10°C one afternoon in early March - not fun. Still found some great conditions even then tho in the 3V - that's the great thing about such a massive area. It might not be perfect on the 17th but it'll still be great I'm sure - and the vin chaud will still flow! Very Happy
snow report
sounds like there are quite a few of us heading out there on the 17th!! Skittler, where abouts are you staying? we have a chalet booked in chandon.

as long as the low temps carry on i dont mind if there isnt any snow between now and then...

well, ok, some would be nice... Very Happy
ski holidays
Er, nothing booked yet. If I do head out I'll be on my own, probably doing a week in Meribel (maybe Chandon!) then a week in Tignes. Lots of organising to do though.

BTW where are you from papillon_rouge? I'm from Colwyn Bay originally but live down South now.
ski holidays
Skittler, im from just outside wrexham so not a million miles away from you!

if you do hapen to head out on the week of the 17th, let me know - there are 7 of us heading out there so the more the merrier out on the slopes!

just read the weather report from merinet - sounds like conditions are suprisingly good due to the cold temps and uncrowded pistes. snow cannons appear to have been working too which is always useful!
ski holidays
Am out to La Tania on 16th for 4 days, any solo skiers liking zee steeps and zee bumps who want someone to ski with let me know as I don't have my normal compadres to ski with...
snow conditions
Kruisler, I'm getting excited now ! OH got his new board today, well jealous... not long to wait now Cool
ski holidays
OK, back to work in the 3V today after 2 weeks away: despite what you might hear its not all doom & gloom!!

Yes the ridges are very bare, yes there are lots of places you would normally hope to ski off-piste by now that are inskiable, BUT there is still loads to do...
The pistes in Courchevel & Meribel were in awesome condition today, firm & as much grip as you could ever want... Yes the top of Combe de Saulire was a bit rocky by the afternoon, but when isn't it?

Great snow to be had off-piste, nice & chalky in Rocher de L'Ombre and skiers left of Chanrossa, and even some powder to be had in les Avals - it's all there you just need to go looking (or know where to look...).

In Les Avals today:

More sun forecast for the next few days, so time to get out and see what else is good round the 3 Valleys!!
ski holidays
Just for the record, I'm off to La Tania for TWO weeks starting Sat 17th Jan.
latest report
We are now off on the 17th too to Courchevel 1850.

Only booked it this morning so am now on excitement level 10. The snow looks fine to me and can't wait to get out there.
snow report
Beverley, I think 'fine'would be the best adjective, in the way that ones wife snarls 'fine' when she means furious - if you get me... I've skied around a bit over the last two days and best conditions seem to be in Mottaret and the Corch bowl, worst is down towards les menuires town, which struck me as another good reason for not going there. there are however lots of stones everywhere, some of them brick sized, so you need your eyes open. Best run was the black from saulire to mottaret, is it called chanrossa? keep left as you ski down to mottaret from the pas du lac bubble

will try to get to VT tomorrow to see what's it's like there.

asoffpisteskiing, says the best snow is off piste where it's been so throughly skied that it might as well have been bashed but has avoided the polished effect of 10,000 pairs of skis. Gorgeous weather and the pistes are blissfully quiet so all in all i doubt too many out here are moaning. snowHead
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Beverley, Best run was the black from saulire to mottaret, is it called chanrossa? keep left as you ski down to mottaret from the pas du lac bubble
Grand Rossiere, i think ?
latest report
Yeah, surely the Chanrossa black is near the Chanrossa lift? From Roc Merlet?
snow report
Looks like there is some snow forecast for the weekend though.....Im off to 1850 on the 17th aswell......See you out there Beverly!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Patch, Skittler, you are right of course... It would be blue in Les Deux Alpes

barthez1980, everything is crossed... the need is becoming urgent
snow conditions
Yeah Barthez, no doubt you'll be able to pick me and Beverley out of the crowd! Have fun though.
snow conditions
barthez1980, Look for a pink stripy hat and lady in black, swishing elegantly (not Sad ) down the piste!
snow report
Its looking very good for next week now ! So much so that OH is now worried he won't see any sun LOL
I for one am very excited about my trip to Meribel on sat & just can't wait snowHead
snow report
I'll be in the 1990's bright yellow Columbia jacket with a little red rucksack and a black hat Smile

DaveSki
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
Its looking very good for next week now ! So much so that OH is now worried he won't see any sun LOL
I for one am very excited about my trip to Meribel on sat & just can't wait snowHead

How do you know of this????
latest report
Just looked at SCGB site. Their forecast goes up to Sunday and they are predicting around 15cm of snow, heaviest on Sunday night.

snowHead snowHead
latest report
Says 21cm on there now!
ski holidays
Skittler, I wouldn't take to much notice of that, especially so long in advance, as they predicted us around 30 and we saw about 3cm of fresh Crying or Very sad Most of the pistes are in lovely condition but they are going to need a fairly major dump before off piste becomes good again.
snow conditions
been searching through all the snow reports and just found this one not sure if its good or bad looking at the wind but heres hoping
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;page=9;type=winter;country=France;resort=Les+Menuires;sess=#forecast
ski holidays
crikey! not sure whether thats a good or bad thing - cant imgine skiing in those conditions will be much fun!!

regardless though, this saturday cant come soon enough! snowHead
ski holidays
i agree fingers crossed. Went to Andorra a couple of years ago and only got half day skiing so hope its not too bad bring on saturday!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy