Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is anywhere in Europe decent at the moment?

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody who does anything in the mountains knows that half an hour can change conditions from glorious to ghastly and back again. It's the nature of the beast, and nobody needs to be told that. We all make the best of things - on a recent sailing trip to the West Country, in summer, we had two named storms and an unpleasant Force 7 squall which had not been forecast till after we left Dartmouth for Portland Bill. Spent 5 days at anchor up rivers hiding away. Read lots of books. On a 4 day autumn training course in Tignes we spent two days unable to get up to the snow because high winds closed the lifts. We made the best of it. Went for walks, got some ski-maintenance tuition! But to suggest that skiing on icy pistes is better than any alternative and that it isn't sensible to wait till the last minute to decide how to spend limited time and money is just not credible.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rob@rar,
Quote:

still plenty of fun to be had.

And it was! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Origen wrote:
But to suggest that skiing on icy pistes is better than any alternative and that it isn't sensible to wait till the last minute to decide how to spend limited time and money is just not credible.

Ultimately it’s an individual decision. I’m just expressing my viewpoint on it; I do very much enjoy icy pistes so for me it’s a no brainer. YMMV
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Well it's a lot more enjoyable than being sat at home on the sofa! Give me an icy piste over a UK high street or muddy field any day.

Personally I'd rather go out hiking than spend £1k+ to snowboard on icy pistes Happy I find it actively un-enjoyable after a couple of runs and not a good allocation of cash or holiday time.

Well indeed - I should have added "give me an icy piste and a pair of skis".

There are a vast range of things I'd rather do than step onto a snowboard (in any conditions) - but that's for a different thread Toofy Grin

On skis - I've had some great fun on ice. I once - unplanned - found myself on Le Face in Val D'Isere after it had been water treated for some sort of French ski team event. Quite a challenge but unforgettable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

It could have been 6m deep, that's not the problem. All it takes is one, increasingly common, hot day and then a refreeze overnight. Or just rain higher up, which also seems to be increasingly common. Snow completely ruined until the next storm.

That is patent nonsense. It may make it difficult for some people the next day, but no reason at all to suppose that it will then remain unchanged until the next snowfall. There are so many other factors that affect the snow pack and surface after it's fallen even before you start including the effect of skiers and piste-bashers...

Obviously never dug a snow pit in your life Laughing weird how we can dig pits and identify the layers where it rained and buried sun crusts from when it was too hot. Having experienced rain high up the only solution was more snow or arrival of spring heating up the ice to make some corn.

Of course this is all moot if you just ride pistes. Considering the lack of recent snow and hot temperatures I was actually pretty impressed by the pistes. Sure they were a bit too hard packed and icy in places for my liking, but they were passable. (Although I hear firm pistes are more fun on skis than snowboard so maybe I'm being harsh).

I actually did overall enjoy my time in Val D, enjoy though I'd consider the conditions to be pretty poor. A lot of that was some great company though, if I'd been there on my own I think I'd have been more disappointed. But as others have said it's not cheap and most people have limited time. I certainly don't think I got good value for money, and would be hesitant to book Europe again. Not just based on my one off trip, but on the basis of the last few years having too many poor weeks. While I accept there's always a bit of luck involved the odds just don't add up for me - as others have said I'd get more enjoyment from spending my money elsewhere on other things. Also I'm lucky that I can just come to central Asia instead where we are still skiing boot deep powder from a storm nearly 2 weeks ago - the magic of no competition for lines and no very hot days and rain high up!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer wrote:
Blackblade wrote:
run 87 degrees sidecut on my skis for these conditions

Fair enough. I can imagine that it would be fun on the correct skis.

IME that’s probably as much about having the correct equipment as attitude though.

Well duh. That's what rental shops are for.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boarder2020 wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

It could have been 6m deep, that's not the problem. All it takes is one, increasingly common, hot day and then a refreeze overnight. Or just rain higher up, which also seems to be increasingly common. Snow completely ruined until the next storm.

That is patent nonsense. It may make it difficult for some people the next day, but no reason at all to suppose that it will then remain unchanged until the next snowfall. There are so many other factors that affect the snow pack and surface after it's fallen even before you start including the effect of skiers and piste-bashers...

Obviously never dug a snow pit in your life Laughing weird how we can dig pits and identify the layers where it rained and buried sun crusts from when it was too hot. Having experienced rain high up the only solution was more snow or arrival of spring heating up the ice to make some corn.

Oddly enough I've done really quite a lot of avalanche rescue and prevention training, so yeah, I'm more than familiar with analysing layers in this way.

You're still talking nonsense, you should know from your extensive experience of snow-layer analysis that you will often find layers of hoar frost, layers of blown snow, layers where underlying snow has changed as temperatures rise and water vapour rises through the snow-pack, layers where water on the surface has seeped down and softened underlying layers or caused fresh snow to better adhere to it...

Yet despite this knowledge you insist that a single freeze-thaw cycle will then leave the snow in a "ruined" state until more fresh snow has fallen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
o wrote:
If you can only enjoy one evening of the food at your local pub - which is of varied quality - it makes sense to choose a night when the best chef is working and your favourites are on the menu.
I think that's not a good analogy, because in that case you know for sure that the best chef will turn up and also when. And you will go hungry between now and then. Snow isn't like that: you don't know if it will get better; you don't know when; and you mostly can't be flexible enough to take advantage of it anyway.

Locals often suffer from the pursuit of the best conditions, refraining from going out unless it everything's perfect. Eventually they switch from being skiers to simply being folk who live in ski resorts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boarder2020 wrote:
Also I'm lucky that I can just come to central Asia instead where we are still skiing boot deep powder from a storm nearly 2 weeks ago - the magic of no competition for lines and no very hot days and rain high up!

If they sent you all the way to Central Asia to find boot deep powder I suggest you request a refund from skibumpedia.com or wherever you get your beta snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
phil_w wrote:

Locals often suffer from the pursuit of the best conditions, refraining from going out unless it everything's perfect. Eventually they switch from being skiers to simply being folk who live in ski resorts.

That’s very true but I think once you’ve lived in a ski resort for a period of time, skiing around on a busy piste in less than ideal conditions becomes pretty boring. There are plenty of other ways to stay amused on those non perfect days.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zzz wrote:
once you’ve lived in a ski resort for a period of time, skiing around on a busy piste in less than ideal conditions becomes pretty boring.

That what ski touring is for!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just got back from Gressoney on Sunday. The snow cover was pretty sparse at the start of the week. All the pistes were open and they all skied better than expected, but there was pretty much no off-piste at all.
It did snow non-stop for the last 60hrs we were there (and was still snowing when we left on Sunday morning). Sometimes this fell as rain/sleet at village level, resulting in some periods of melt at this altitude. But up on the hill it was all good, the snow stuck even if it was a bit wet at times. It did mean that on the slower, uncovered chairs you looked a bit like a snowman by the time you reached the top. Also showed up the lazier lifties when having to hop on a uncleared seat (we split up on the 2man ones... cleared the other seat then sidled across for the ride).
I'd imagine anyone out there this week would be having a great time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Yet despite this knowledge you insist that a single freeze-thaw cycle will then leave the snow in a "ruined" state until more fresh snow has fallen.

Actually rain is far worse. In my experience nothing has made off piste rideable after a big rain event until it got covered with snow. Again I'm talking off piste. If you groom it it's usually fine although sometimes lots of death cookies.

I did a season at whistler where rain wasn't uncommon at the bottom. It destroys off piste, just becomes hard ice. How do you explain this ice turning into powder? Clue: it doesn't.

Quote:

If they sent you all the way to Central Asia to find boot deep powder I suggest you request a refund from skibumpedia.com or wherever you get your beta

I basically ride powder everyday out here. Step off my board and sink in well above my knees. Tour straight from my door, zero competition for tracks, costs next to nothing. 30cm forecast for Friday night falling at around -10 so nice quality snow. Forecast for Verbier 2400m tomorrow +5 degrees Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"a single freeze-thaw cycle will then leave the snow in a "ruined" state until more fresh snow has fallen."

Nonsense. Demonstrably not true.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boarder2020 wrote:

I basically ride powder everyday out here. Step off my board and sink in well above my knees. Tour straight from my door, zero competition for tracks, costs next to nothing. 30cm forecast for Friday night falling at around -10 so nice quality snow. Forecast for Verbier 2400m tomorrow +5 degrees Laughing

Yes we know that everywhere you ski is always nirvana Eh oh!

We’ll just have to put up with skiing beautiful north faces in the sunshine in the shadow of giants snowHead
snow conditions
Even the snowboarders were happy all the way to the valley at 1600m and hot sunshine snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/agp5-vFm2jU
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
@dharnett, what’s Zell like?

Zell is struggling, has been very slushy/icy and recent weather wasn't cold enough to snow all the way down to bottom lifts, so very different conditions top to bottom of the resort. Short term forecast is awful, mountain temperatures as high as 10 degrees on Friday, dipping back to around zero after that (which is still not really cold enough as that's top of mountain).
latest report
dharnett wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Zell is struggling, has been very slushy/icy and recent weather wasn't cold enough to snow all the way down to bottom lifts, so very different conditions top to bottom of the resort. Short term forecast is awful, mountain temperatures as high as 10 degrees on Friday, dipping back to around zero after that (which is still not really cold enough as that's top of mountain).

Thanks, that was one of the places I was looking at that would be a bit cheaper. Did a week in Kaprun in 2022 and enjoyed it but found ourselves trekking over the Saalbach most days and thought that would be easier from Zell.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
dharnett wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Thanks, that was one of the places I was looking at that would be a bit cheaper. Did a week in Kaprun in 2022 and enjoyed it but found ourselves trekking over the Saalbach most days and thought that would be easier from Zell.

Actually Zell is conveniently between the two and just a bus ride to either. So not a bad center to choose, should the weather change for the better then all three areas are available (on the same lift pass) and if not you still have the glacier as your get out of jail card. Bit of a pain to have to bus it each day, but a good problem to have in a way!
ski holidays
dharnett wrote:
Kramer wrote:
dharnett wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Actually Zell is conveniently between the two and just a bus ride to either. So not a bad center to choose, should the weather change for the better then all three areas are available (on the same lift pass) and if not you still have the glacier as your get out of jail card. Bit of a pain to have to bus it each day, but a good problem to have in a way!

Yeah, if conditions improve then it's still in the picture. However if not, then I'd be a bit fed up bussing to the Kitzeinhorn every day.
latest report
frejul wrote:

Well it's a lot more enjoyable than being sat at home on the sofa! Give me an icy piste over a UK high street or muddy field any day.

Riding muddy trails on a mountain bike would be preferable to shitting myself on steep sheet ice. Or just sit in the bar.

I can cope on icy but I don't enjoy it. Not after many years of North American trips enjoying relatively reliable powder, but been Euro trips in recent years for one reason or another.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Even the snowboarders were happy all the way to the valley at 1600m and hot sunshine snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/agp5-vFm2jU

Looks fantastic
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
Is there anywhere in Europe with decent skiing conditions at the moment?

I've got the time and money to go skiing in the next few weeks, but to be honest if conditions are "meh", I'd rather save my money.

I'm seeing photos from friends of great conditions in 3V and the last few rooms in snowretreat chalets in La Tania keep popping up on my Facebook feed at a very attractive price. (£650 per person catered for next week - travel and lift pass would be on top of that.)
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
"a single freeze-thaw cycle will then leave the snow in a "ruined" state until more fresh snow has fallen."

Nonsense. Demonstrably not true.

Freeze-thaw is all good, but also IME thaw-freeze usually needs either another thaw or more snow for good skiing (assuming really everything thawed, though obviously that's unusual). Otherwise it's just re-frozen ie ice.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:

Quote:

If they sent you all the way to Central Asia to find boot deep powder I suggest you request a refund from skibumpedia.com or wherever you get your beta

boarder2020 wrote:
Little Jyrgalan update. Snow depth is around 90cm at the village, 1.5m higher up. Which is solid for here, pretty much everything is filled on, no real sharks to speak of.

Snowpack is very unstable. Bottom layer is all facets. Stability testing producing results of CT11-14, sheer collapse about 40-60cm below the surface. Some natural and skier triggered avalanches seen on north slopes >35 degrees. One fatality - solo European ski tourer skiing 38 degree slopes with terrain trap, body found 2m deep.

Snow around the village developed a bit of a sun crust. But anything above 2300m is still good. The more obvious and popular routes are a bit tracked out (relative to local standards - there is still plenty of fresh lines out there!).

So in reality, after slagging off Europe, it turns out your nirvana is meadow hopping dust on crust and high avi risk on anything interesting to ski. Where do we sign up snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
The village is at 2200m it's only the area just above the village with the slightest sun crust but still perfectly rideable. Above that is deep powder. Although right now it's snowing hard, -10c and dropping, already had about 10cm, another 20cm forecast. So tomorrow should be pretty epic. Rest of the week doesn't get above -8 with some more snow coming. Verbier mid station positive temps and no real snow forecast - those in glass houses wink

When I say the popular areas are tracked out relative to local standards I mean this for example:

As for avalanche danger. Well that's part of touring life. Plenty of low angled fun to be had, Spring is always when the steeper stuff gets skied anyway.

Don't take my word for it though. @kat.ryb, was here recently and described the cat skiing as "the most fun ever".

If I really wanted I could post misleading photos looking out into the distance of mountains nobody really skis. But no I'm happy to show and describe the real conditions on the popular routes. Truth be told it's pretty good. I love being able to tour from and ski back to the door each day, there's certainly plenty of powder, and competition for lines is pretty much no existent. I never claimed it was perfect though. Just right now conditions are better than the Alps, which I'm happy to stand by.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
Just right now conditions are better than the Alps, which I'm happy to stand by.

No they aren’t based on what you posted and the video I posted above which was just above La Fouly village at 1600m altitude snowHead

And we just drove 30mins up the valley. You had to fly to the middle of nowhere
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I normally turn left at Sembrancher....looks like I might have to turn right and explore that valley a bit more
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:

If I really wanted I could post misleading photos looking out into the distance of mountains nobody really skis.

Yeah they’re probably rabbit tracks right wink
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
@BobinCH, I normally turn left at Sembrancher....looks like I might have to turn right and explore that valley a bit more

Particularly good after a Southerly front as it’s right on the main Alpine ridge
snow report
Quote:

No they aren’t based on what you posted and the video I posted above which was just above La Fouly village at 1600m altitude

I was literally in Val D 5 days before I arrived here. But sure you definitely are in a better position to compare the two than me Laughing we already have over 20cm fresh fallen this afternoon and the storm is still going strong (expecting at least 10cm+ more). Our forecast is max -8c, with another 15cm over the next week (at village level), while even the high euro resorts are creeping over to positive temps at their midstations and no real snow forecast.

It's quite boring repeating myself. If you want to think Europe conditions are much better than here right now, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. Have better things to do, starting with a private snowmobile and driver for a day of uplifts to enjoy the fresh snow, all for about the same price as a 4 valleys day pass wink

Enjoy your season, I hope Europe cools down and gets some big storms soon. If you ever fancy a change am happy to show you around here sometime - you might even like it NehNeh
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

No they aren’t based on what you posted and the video I posted above which was just above La Fouly village at 1600m altitude

I was literally in Val D 5 days before I arrived here. But sure you definitely are in a better position to compare the two than me Laughing we already have over 20cm fresh fallen this afternoon and the storm is still going strong (expecting at least 10cm+ more). Our forecast is max -8c, with another 15cm over the next week (at village level), while even the high euro resorts are creeping over to positive temps at their midstations and no real snow forecast.

It's quite boring repeating myself. If you want to think Europe conditions are much better than here right now, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. Have better things to do, starting with a private snowmobile and driver for a day of uplifts to enjoy the fresh snow, all for about the same price as a 4 valleys day pass wink

Enjoy your season, I hope Europe cools down and gets some big storms soon. If you ever fancy a change am happy to show you around here sometime - you might even like it NehNeh

Ski touring is free here wink

And looking good for the weekend snowHead
snow conditions
Zell / Kaprun looking like its getting a top up at the weekend - will need it after this week and just in time for my arrival on Friday Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
Yesterday I dropped off the back of here (Serre Chevalier) fully expecting to run out of snow as I headed down to the valley on the other side, and was totally surprised to be able to ski all the way down given the aspect, where usually I'd have a bit of a scramble to get over the little gulleys (left of picture), and then climbing back up, I'd usually see the top of a Summer walking sign at the Col I go over and that was totally hidden!

Vallon de Chambran 1,750m

snow conditions
Belch wrote:
Zell / Kaprun looking like its getting a top up at the weekend - will need it after this week and just in time for my arrival on Friday Very Happy Very Happy snowHead

Kaprun was brilliant on Friday last week. all off piste filled in and skiable. Crevasses covered over. snow in great condtion
ski holidays
Baron von chippy wrote:
Belch wrote:

Kaprun was brilliant on Friday last week. all off piste filled in and skiable. Crevasses covered over. snow in great condtion

On the glacier I presume?

How is it lower down?
ski holidays
Anyway for those who are still following we've booked a week in Ischgl.
snow report
Baron von chippy wrote:
Belch wrote:

Is the bolded bit a good thing though?

In my ignorance, I'd have thought assumed fresh snow covering a crevasse would be a hidden danger and accident waiting to happen. But I'm happy to admit somewhat uninformed about these things.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Anyway for those who are still following we've booked a week in Ischgl.
Have a great time. (I've never been there.) I had been about to say that, if the snow were to arrive as expected, you and your companions would all find something to enjoy in Baqueira-Beret and the gastronomy and general charm of Veilha.
snow report
Mrs B and I are hoping to go the week before Easter, but holding off booking anywhere at the moment. Likely to be back to Vallandry/Les Arcs - snow seems to be ok higher up and some runs back to resort
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy