Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
@Arctic Roll, I'm with you on that one. Let's see what we can see on the webcams
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've hit a problem renewing my season pass.

Where do you input your pass number to pay for this year? It seems to want photographs to be upladed again. In the past you simply entered your pass number and everything was there

Why is it that ski resorts have the most difficult websites
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ipken, @johnE, @Arctic Roll, I think it's the wording that's throwing me off. I'd of thought "easy-to-handle, forgiving equipment" would sort of imply stability and "ease in turns", so why would the latter highlight that? Is it maybe to do with the width, and the Red pack is thinner and easier to edge, whereas a beginner doesn't necessarily do/need that? I'm thinking Red right now and switching if there's an issue (though I'm not sure either of us would really know if we're having an issue with the equipment, we'd probably blame ourselves!).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
inthecold wrote:
I think it's the wording that's throwing me off. I'd of thought "easy-to-handle, forgiving equipment" would sort of imply stability

Nope. Almost the opposite. Stiffness creates stability.

inthecold wrote:
I'm thinking Red right now and switching if there's an issue (though I'm not sure either of us would really know if we're having an issue with the equipment, we'd probably blame ourselves!).

You are right to some degree - that you wouldn't know.

All this colour coding is bollox anyhow. Back in the day, you'd go in a shop telling them what sort of a skier you were, they would look at your physique, look at what they had available and make the best match. TBH, I think you can still do that. When my lads edge came away and we had to hire that's what we did last trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, on the La Plagne site you have to upload new photos every 3 years or so maybe the same for LA?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boredsurfin, that could be the case,but they haven’t said so. All other information has gone as well. I wonder if I’ve created two logins and gone to the wrong one. How have other people got on with renewing their passes.

@Layne, when my wife’s edges pulled out the shop loaned her a pair while they contacted Rossignol and investigated a repair. Another advantage of buying in the resort. In the end my wife decided she didn’t want a repair (the whole edge came out but it wasn’t broken). They sold her a new pair at a significant discount and transferred the bindings for free.

Back to rental. When I’ve rented in the past I’ve been shown around the store with a discussion about each ski and what I’d like to rent. But these have been special occasions such as after some wide beasts for powder. I wonder if booking cheaply on the internet gives less service, but in the rental shop my niece always has a discussion about what would suit her.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, I had to start again with our passes, the website didn't have any of our details at all, so had to start again including photos. New passes have arrived, but don't have individual names on each like before either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gilly76, so it's not me then. Without the names on the card how do you know who's card is who's?

Imagine if the wrong picture flashed up on the lifty's screen

I'll input our existing pass numbers and see what happens . The recharge facility seems to still exist.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
I'll input our existing pass numbers and see what happens . The recharge facility seems to still exist.
I just bought my season pass. I had to reset my account password, upload a new photo, as well as add my UK and Les Arcs addresses, so I guess they have a new system which didn't migrate any data other than name and email address. I entered the number of my existing Yuge Paradiski pass and this was accepted without any problems. All set to go, t-minus 8 days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are arriving in ARC1950 on the 23rd Dec..........We are a family of 4.......all reasonable skiers apart from 1 but she can do reds going steady.

what would you recommend for a family ski lesson/ tour guide say for 2 maybe 3 days of our holiday?

Many thanks
Max

PS Listening to you all talking about snow has got me really excited!!!!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, I'm having the same problem trying to renew my La Plagne pass on their website. The only information it seems to have saved is the credit passed over from the edenski scheme. It looks like all the other information you have to re-submit.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know of any hire shops in Arc 1950 or 2000 that hire out prams at all? Thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, we are travelling to les arcs 1800 in early January 2024 and are looking to make use of the ability to load a card with passes to use the Villards lift for €5 a time rather than buy a full pass initially.

We’ve noticed that on the lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com site there a page on beginner passes that says there is free access available to Villards/Charmettoger/JardinAlpin lifts on Saturday and Sundays.

This only seems to be referenced on this one page and not elsewhere so just wondered if anyone is able to confirm this offer is as it seems?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, the bigger poster is SNCF saying use the train to get to the Alps. Cant remember how old it is as its all packed away.
The other is a Raymond Blanc one which they sell in the Cachette hotel. Just needed a decent frame.

Car all packed which is always surprising when it all goes in.

Rowing machine is staying in Loir to help keep me fit when I'm there. Should have gone out in the summer but no space.

Will see you in the resort. We arrive on the 14th all being well so should be all ready for the 16th
Hope everyone has a safe ski season
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@baldricksplan, Could you give us the URL of the single page. I cannot find it. The web site is generally very bad for navigation and sometimes some important information is buried very deep and some I cannot find at all. For example there is a day pass you can buy only for the local area, 1600, 1800, Vallandry. Fortunately the staff in the lift pass office are brilliant and very helpful. Just ask there.

I do not know about this coming season, but in the past some lifts have been designated free on Saturdays and Sundays. As an example, the Combettes lift in Arc 1600, which is the shortest, was free. I beleive a similar situation existed in the other villages as well. I could enviage the Villards lift being free as it gives access to the Mille8 area and the Jardin Alpin because it doesn't really give access to any skiing but I'd be quite suprised about the Charmettoger lift as it will give access to a serious amount of skiing.

The page giving the openings of the lifts is a bit vague. For example it gives many lifts as specifically opening on the 16th but doesn't give the opening dates for others. I was looking forward to giving my new knee its first proper test on the Clocheret piste on the 20th but cannot see when that lift will open.

Oh, I looked at the Vagere livecam this morning and noticed the Dahu lift moving.
snow report
@johne. Thanks for your response

The url for the page I was referring to was
https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/pass-debutant

I agree would be suprising if the Charmettoger lift was free but it is listed here along with the other ones I mentioned in the section that references some free access on Saturdays and Sundays

There are other pages on the website that talk about lift pass options where this isn’t mentioned which is why I wondered if it was correct.

Thanks for your help.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
I was looking forward to giving my new knee its first proper test on the Clocheret piste on the 20th but cannot see when that lift will open.

Presumably, you'll be looking at getting onto the Clocheret lift on the 19th, then.
latest report
A fire in the Monkey Cafe in 1950 on Tuesday night will probably mean that the bar won't be open for at least a few weeks, if not longer. The photos I've seen look quite a mess.
I'm told that fortunately someone was in the building ahead of the season, and they raised the alarm to the fire brigade before further damage was done - to the building, and the apartments above. They've all been checked for smoke damage and declared OK. No-one was hurt.

But a wake-up call for all of us apartment owners: make sure your insurance is up to date!
These things can and do happen - if infrequently (Last fire I heard of in the domain was in the kitchen of La Ferme in Peisey, three(?) years ago.
ski holidays
duplicate post

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 7-12-23 19:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Arctic Roll wrote:
A fire in the Monkey Cafe in 1950 on Tuesday night will probably mean that the bar won't be open for at least a few weeks, if not longer. The photos I've seen look quite a mess.
I'm told that fortunately someone was in the building ahead of the season, and they raised the alarm to the fire brigade before further damage was done - to the building, and the apartments above. They've all been checked for smoke damage and declared OK. No-one was hurt.

But a wake-up call for all of us apartment owners: make sure your insurance is up to date!
These things can and do happen - if infrequently (Last fire I heard of in the domain was in the kitchen of La Ferme in Peisey, three(?) years ago.

Grand Arbois in 1800 caught fire couple of years ago too
latest report
Amazing how many businesses in the Alps catch fire every year.
ski holidays
Looking to get a season pass, we're off on the 28th Dec. Website says season passes online only, does anyone know if they have to post to us and how long that takes, or if you order and pick up at Les Arcs?
latest report
Quote:

Presumably, you'll be looking at getting onto the Clocheret lift on the 19th, then.

Since there is never a queue at the bottom it is probably a bit quicker than some lifts from arriving at the base to getting to the top
latest report
noodlehat wrote:
Looking to get a season pass, we're off on the 28th Dec. Website says season passes online only, does anyone know if they have to post to us and how long that takes, or if you order and pick up at Les Arcs?

Took around 10 days for ours to arrive in the post.

I'm sure there's an option to collect in the resort though. If you message them they do respond very quickly.
snow report
@noodlehat, IIRC they say it takes upto 13 days to arrrive, but when we had ours delivered a few years ago in less than a week, but that excluded the Christmas period. You can collect them easily at the lift pass office. However, last year (or the year before) my son just walked into the lift pass office and bought his season pass there and then where they took his photograph. In 1600 with the exception of saturdays there is never a queue and the ladies in the office are nice and helpful to talk to.
ski holidays
@Gilly76, @johnE, great many thanks. I'll order online but pick up at BSM. cheers.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Since there is never a queue at the bottom it is probably a bit quicker than some lifts from arriving at the base to getting to the top

True! Although it's veeeerrrrry slow, I do enjoy taking it and doing the two runs back down on the 1600 side. I liked the old Mont Blanc chair as well, apart from the lack of footrests.
latest report
As someone who hates standing in queues I'd take a slow lift without a queue over a fast one with a queue anyday of the week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of the good things about the old Comborciere lift is that it made Clocheret seem speedy.
latest report
Hi all - I've got a short solo ski trip arranged for early March in Les Arcs. Be great to meet up with someone for a drink so I don't go mad. My friends now have little kids and/or less forgiving wives, so decided to go it alone. Arrive 2nd March and heading back on 7th.
ski holidays
@JimZhukov82,

Glad you found us, welcome.

I've just clicked that I was mistaken when I said I was there on your dates. I'm there early April, so will miss you. No doubt someone will be there on your dates, though.
snow conditions
Just read an article in the Sunday Times travel pages discussing 3 possible holidays in Les Arcs ranging in price from £419 to over £1200. The intersting bit was the possibility of getting the bus from London to Bourg st Maurice for £199 return which included carriage of skis with a company called Snowexpress. I'd never heard of them but the busses run overnight giving the chance of 8 days skiing.

The big drawback is that they leave from London. I had to go to London last week and was sitting on the train talking to my friend and moaning about the price of train tickets. I just had to point out that it is cheeper to get to Geneva than London from Birmingham. The train ticket was £155 return. The flight to Geneva in January, going out on a Friday and coming back on a Sunday (8 days skiing) was £77 return. Plus, probably, the same again to carry skis.

I think all prices quoted in newspaper articles should quote the prices from Nuneaton, which I think is close to the population weighted centre of Great Britain. This will give a more realistic price for most of the population Very Happy
ski holidays
Worth looking at a CIV ticket for options like this from further away from London. Often better value, but allows for delays
https://www.seat61.com/european-travel-from-uk-regions.htm#buy-a-ticket-to-london-international-civ
snow conditions
Anyone know how the pistes have faired in Les arcs (particularly at 1600/1500). just wondering whether to switch resort for Christmas, although reluctant as I think Les arcs has a more interesting runs…
snow report
@Elsie80, where would you switch to?
latest report
Was thinking Tignes…
snow report
@Elsie80, In that case no. It's not going to be significantly different.

And to my reading the forecast isn't too bad. Currently precipitation but FL falling so should now be snow even at 1500m. Due to get very warm at the weekend but no precipitation so should hold up. Beyond that we will see.

Disclaimer: I am going to Les Coches for Christmas.
snow conditions
A few years ago I was booked in to Le Sept Laux. And conditions were so poor it didn't open. That is definitely a reason to switch!
snow conditions
Quote:

Anyone know how the pistes have faired in Les arcs (particularly at 1600/1500).

I will not know until a/ the resort opens and b/ I get there on Monday night. However I have heard that conditions are not great in Tignes (challenging weather). Most of Les Arcs is above 1600m with little below. Well actually 1700m. The pistes are still being prepared and as far as I can see no piste markers are up yet

@Layne, Fancy meeting up for a drink then?
snow report
@johnE, will PM you when we get out there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy