Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Looks as if the rain is causing significant damage at resort level. Clearing raining at least as high as the top of Toviere Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowornever wrote:
@bobski62

tried this afternoon and site is now working and was able to order my pass, 1 more thing ticked off list getting ready for january!

All done, thanks @snowornever.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Looks as if the rain is causing significant damage at resort level. Clearing raining at least as high as the top of Toviere

Let's not forget its still only the 14th Nov!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stefoy4me, Tricky demographic for apres. 15 year olds may be a bit young for the Loop after 5. If you want to sit round a table in a cafe style bar: Embuscade at the top of rue de la poste. Also Marmotte Arms in the Palafour building, live music but not as rumbustious as the Loop.

For food close by to your pad: Escale Blanche close to the snow front or Bagus Cafe on rue de la piste have a variety of dishes including Alpine specialities.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loop sounds perfect.

will also try QDC hopefully too as plans some decent dinners out
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As well as spoiling some of the snow and causing a number of slips (eastern face of Grande Balme on the BC webcam) there has been a rockfall which has blocked the road at Pigettes, below Breviere.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark1863 wrote:
Looks as if the rain is causing significant damage at resort level. Clearing raining at least as high as the top of Toviere Crying or Very sad

Long term, the best thing that could happen for the snow pack is for rain to penetrate the snow and then for a freeze to occur. This would create a really stable base layer which would be bonded to the ground. The avalanche risk in the last few days has been 4, so a stable base layer would be good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s getting serious in the Tarentaise now. I’ve had 2 messages saying “never seen rain like it”. There have been numerous aquaplaning incidents, although the Piggettes landslide has been cleared one of the tunnels to Val (after the Dam) is now closed for the night due to flooding. The centre of Moutiers is on flood alert and the A430 (autoroute into Albertville) is closed for the night.

Edit: there has been another rockfall at Pigettes, roads closed.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 14-11-23 21:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
It’s getting serious in the Tarentaise now. I’ve had 2 messages saying “never seen rain like it”. There have been numerous aquaplaning incidents, although the Piggettes landslide has been cleared one of the tunnels to Val (after the Dam) is now closed for the night due to flooding. The centre of Moutiers is on flood alert and the A430 (autoroute into Albertville) is closed for the night.

Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ive never seen weather like it... its like a combination of thigh deep slush you swim through whilst someone empties a swimming pool on your head all whilst in a wind tunnel!!!! Monsoon anyone!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some stats from the local area:

35-40 cm of snow has melted at 2000m in 24 hours
Rain up to 3000m today
Temperature at the summit of the Aiguille Rouge (3222 m) at 17h today +1 C
Rainfall in Bourg: in the last 24 hours 30mm, since 1 Nov 200mm, 320mm in the last 30 days (a third of the annual average).

Flood Alert for Albertville just promulgated.

Thanks to Tim at Sapaudia.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm considering booking an early December trip to tignes... Has the rain done much damage to the snow base at altitude?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tomb, quite the opposite, at Tignes/Val and above it will have helped solidify the base. Webcams are your friend. You'll be fine.

https://en.tignes.net/webcams
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, thanks, I'm a little twitchy after the lack of snow we had on our early trip last year! Hoping this year is better Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
@stefoy4me, Tricky demographic for apres. 15 year olds may be a bit young for the Loop after 5. If you want to sit round a table in a cafe style bar: Embuscade at the top of rue de la poste. Also Marmotte Arms in the Palafour building, live music but not as rumbustious as the Loop.

For food close by to your pad: Escale Blanche close to the snow front or Bagus Cafe on rue de la piste have a variety of dishes including Alpine specialities.

Hi Chocksaway

Any feedback on this place ?

https://niurousteakhouse.com/

Thanks
ski holidays
stefoy4me wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Hi Chocksaway

Thanks

I went last year with my mates, we really enjoyed it! Steak was good cheaper than what you pay in London, and the lady who owns it is really nice. Heard me say I wanted some génépi as I hadn’t had any all holiday and bought some over for free (maybe they always do it, but felt like a nice touch).

Also there was a small child eating in there so seems child friendly, but they did seemto be friends with the owner.
snow report
Only thing I would add is that you have to like steak, other options are limited. The veggie option is normally a slice of cauliflower.
snow conditions
dorhar wrote:
stefoy4me wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Hi Chocksaway

Thanks

I went last year with my mates, we really enjoyed it! Steak was good cheaper than what you pay in London, and the lady who owns it is really nice. Heard me say I wanted some génépi as I hadn’t had any all holiday and bought some over for free (maybe they always do it, but felt like a nice touch).

Also there was a small child eating in there so seems child friendly, but they did seemto be friends with the owner.

Thanks for the recommend. This place is across from where we stay and I was eyeing it off.
snow report
@stefoy4me, had dinner the this summer. Excellent steaks, but you may not be surprised to hear it's spendy. €30 steak plus €8 frites from memory. The wine list is good, and serveuse/owner lady is extremely knowledgeable so be sure to consult.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 15-11-23 18:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
thank you, sounds perfect, we are booking it

so London prices, which is pretty much the norm everywhere now.

any other recos' for nice food??
snow conditions
Cœur des Neiges on Prom. du Tovière is reliable in my experience. But I'm t'other side of the hill, @chocksaway is the local font of all knowledge
snow conditions
According to Snow-Forecast, it's set to cool down again. https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Tignes/6day/top

The freezing level will be as low as 1200/1300m - with a bit of snow to come.

And as @kitenski wisely said Very Happy
Quote:
Let's not forget its still only the 14th Nov!
snow report
Well that was quite a week, the rain certainly arrived in force and did quite a bit of damage to the snowpack. But all looks good on the glacier for tomorrow's early opening, snow wise. Not sure about Bollin for the beginners though, there seems to be a few plants sticking through!

One stat I discovered about the amount or rain and melt is quite astonishing. When they do the expert/nutter level of white water kayaking down near Moutiers they regulate the flow of the Isere to 30 cubic meters per second by judicious use of the sluice gates at the Dam. On Tuesday the natural flow was 120 cm/sec!

Its going to be a mixed bag over the next week and its a messy picture so thoughts will change. But tomorrow there will be a bit of cloud and sun with gust winds in the afternoon which could shut the cable car. Quite warm for the time of year. The wind will howl on Sunday and again there will be light showers, of rain in the villages, snow aloft. Amounts are not significant so no real bother, other than it will feel unpleasant. Top lifts shut? Luckily on Monday it cools down quite a bit so a day of sunshine and showers of snow right down to Brev. Again the wind may preclude the high lifts opening. Tuesday will see heavier snow showers (10-20cm) and a steady breeze. High pressure then establishes itself for a couple of days, cold at night, sunny by day, with temps in the villages just above zero. Just watch out for early morning fog lower down. After Tuesdays snow- it should be lovely.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Not sure about Bollin for the beginners though, there seems to be a few plants sticking through!

Looks like they have the cannons blasting that now and at the base of the Palafour
snow conditions
Just having a browse of the webcams with the recent snow. Does anyone know why they put tyres (think they are old tyres) down on the snow front in Val D'isere between Solaise lift and the hotels. Assume something to do with holding snow in place.
latest report
therock wrote:
Just having a browse of the webcams with the recent snow. Does anyone know why they put tyres (think they are old tyres) down on the snow front in Val D'isere between Solaise lift and the hotels. Assume something to do with holding snow in place.

Someone above asked the same question (or was it on another thread). Reason for tyres everywhere not just here in Val is so when (especially late season) the piste bashers are doing their thing they know they are getting close to the underlying surface e.g. a tennis court. Means they can back of a bit so as to NOT damage the surface... otherwise they could cause a VERY expensive mistake! Yes they are old tyres!
latest report
@Steve Angus, ref tyres when I came out early season it was great to watch the tyres slowly disappear under the fresh snow over a course of two weeks!
latest report
Despite the wind closing the Cable Car and Vaniise, Double M is busy this morning looking at the VC Cam. But the queue for the Funi is large or very large as you can’t see the back of it on the webcam!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What has happened to the La Daille Webcam?.....or am I just being stupid?
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag,

No you're not stupid it's not there this year. Having said that are you looking at the Tignes website or this one?

https://www.valdisere.com/en/live/webcams/
snow conditions
welshflyer wrote:
@Old Fartbag,

No you're not stupid it's not there this year. Having said that are you looking at the Tignes website or this one?

https://www.valdisere.com/en/live/webcams/

Both.
snow report
First day back on snow today. Cable car closed due to wind - but was in the cloud most of the day anyway. Pretty busy on double M - there was a GS course set before open, and a few ski clubs around the rest of the day. Plus I guess €10 lift passes attracted a few people.
Conditions were ok. Clearly it rained all the way up to 3000m, so pretty firm everywhere, and it got warm in the afternoon.
ski holidays
Raining at 2100 now
ski holidays
@turbosmurf, that is most disappointing. Sad
snow conditions
@Penelope, it’s only the 19th November! Rain in Jan is more concerning than rain in November imho!
latest report
Rain at 2100m is a disaster.

Only a week or so until the main European season starts proper.

Need snow and frost. Not rain and tropical heat.
ski holidays
@Whitegold, exactly, and the forecast isn’t encouraging. Anticipating a very limited opening weekend.
ski holidays
As I mentioned on another thread although lots of snow and then lots of rain it’s not really been very cold yet even up high , nowhere high even Tignes seem to have been able to run the cannons for anything bar a short period . That however looks likely to change by the end of the week then I expect they will be running them close 24hrs a day .
latest report
@Rob Mackley, And there’s no shortage of water to preclude the cannons (not that’s it’s an issue in Tignes) Laughing
ski holidays
@chocksaway, yep won’t be the same as last year after the drought , did you see the pics of the flood damage in Bourg ? The cycle route was washed away by the river .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy