Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
tatmanstours wrote:
@gilo, “we stayed next to the kohlmais last season”

Interesting - my apartments are next to the Kohlmais, and, as far as I’m aware, no one else in the building rents out. Unless you stayed the other side, in the apartments above the Bründl Sports shop?

@tatmanstours, looking to visit SH in Jan 24. My OH won't be skiing so looking for some easy winter walking in the area. Grateful if you or anyone else can advise whether best to stay in Saalbach or Hinterglemm for easy access winter walking and recommend any hotels that offer winter walking from their doors
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nahdendee, for walking I don’t think it matters much whether you stay in Saalbach or Hinterglemm, and any of the village centre hotels would be suitable. I would suggest that your OH buys the cheap “walking only” lift pass, as all the gondolas provide access to pleasant mountain-top walks, as well as nice restaurants at mid- and top stations for sunbathing and rendezvous with skiers.
Overall, I’m biased towards Saalbach, but I don’t think you’d be disappointed in either village
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours, yep, we stayed with you! Laughing
See you again on 27th Jan… Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gilo, penny’s dropped Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tatmanstours wrote:
@nahdendee, for walking I don’t think it matters much whether you stay in Saalbach or Hinterglemm, and any of the village centre hotels would be suitable. I would suggest that your OH buys the cheap “walking only” lift pass, as all the gondolas provide access to pleasant mountain-top walks, as well as nice restaurants at mid- and top stations for sunbathing and rendezvous with skiers.
Overall, I’m biased towards Saalbach, but I don’t think you’d be disappointed in either village

@tatmanstours, many thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just had a look at the webcams looks promising. Reckon we should finalise our trip more or less settled on 2nd week of march with possibly a few(cheaper) days tagged on either before or after which we will sort nearer the time, at the moment seems reasonable availability in our favorite places some offering a small incentive .Was originally thinking of the thurnerhof a bit out of town for a few days but our fellow travelors have other ideas so looks like we will head to the centre of saalbach as dont think you can better the ski choice in a morning or return via the many apres bars .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi - I’m coming to Saalbach late Jan and again in mid-March, was wondering if there are and long term lockers/ options for leaving a board and gear rather than flying home?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ben1reilly, I could store them for you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excited to have finally got a trip to Saalbach booked in for 23-30 Dec...! Not posted for ages - now in webcam watching mode.

Been trying to go to Saalbach for well over 5 years, but scuppered by various reasons from Covid to prioritising toddler friendly/budget friendly options. @Tatmantours, iirc you're from Kenilworth aren't you? As am i. Welcome any strong "Dos and Don'ts"? Staying at the Fuchsbau apartments near the Schönleitenbahn Talstation
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Badbobby, here's a warm up
Do Eat at the Tiroler Baum, it's one of the best restaurants in the area, The Liebe Heimat is also good, both are a stones throw from your accommodation
Don't forget that the last ski bus leaves at 5pm from the Schattberg Xpress, you can take the 680 bus up to about 7pm fare €3.20, then there is the NightRider every 20 minutes fare €5, or a taxi €20 takes up to 6
Do get over to Fieberbrunn and Legogang, the latter is easy for you starting our on the Schonleitenbhan
Do download the SalzburgVerker app as it will give you the ski bus times
Do check if the mountain restaurant takes card, there a few that don't and some that have a €10 minimum spend
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@radar, mega, thank you. Interesting about the buses in case we end our day skiing in central saalbach etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Badbobby, a couple more

Don’t go to the Hinterhag alm on a Saturday.

Do book a restaurant for Christmas Eve and Christmas day evening, unless you are planning to eat in, book well before you arrive.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers! Eating in the apartment en famille. Young kids to manage…!

Some people I was with refused to book on NYE in st Anton… imagine what happened!

Is the tobogganing good from the Spielberghaus btw? Apparently a piste basher up?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Badbobby, we have done the Spielberghaus , yes it’s good, you need cash to pay the piste basher , toboggan back or piste basher if you ask in advance.

With kids the Tiroler Buam is good, they have a proper pizza oven and do a good schnitzel as well as more interesting stuff, the Liebe heimat has a play area, might be challenging to use in the snow Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 19-11-23 10:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking at accommodation for a 4 night stay for 3 adults (for our annual university friends trip) … some lovely hotels on booking.com but quite expensive for what it’d be a bonus break for us (I have 3 more trips planned this season). Can anyone recommend any hotels / booking sites please? Thanks
latest report
Tiroler Buam, not Baum. Lads, not tree.
latest report
@franga, DM @tatmanstours, and have a look at the tourist office website https://www.saalbach.com/saalbach-booking/MasterReq?AR=1&FL=100&LG=1&RA=2&AM=1&MB=0

4 nights is tricky one, most hotels are focused on 7 night stays, apartments might be more flexible.
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Looking at accommodation for a 4 night stay for 3 adults (for our annual university friends trip) … some lovely hotels on booking.com but quite expensive for what it’d be a bonus break for us (I have 3 more trips planned this season). Can anyone recommend any hotels / booking sites please? Thanks

Places do split a week for 4 & 3 days. Sunweb is good place to look. However you do need to be flexible with your dates
snow conditions
@franga, when is your planned trip? I might be able to help.
snow report
Thanks all - unfortunately, we're stuck with specific dates as we've already booked flights to Munich. I'm sure we will find something even if this means staying in a satellite village and driving to a lift base (we've always fancied Saalbach but will look at other areas too).

@tatmanstours - I'll send you a DM.

Thanks again.
snow report
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for transfers to and from Salzburg? We're coming Christmas week. Very Happy Thanks
latest report
@rachelb, How to get to Saalbach from Salzburg Airport,

Austrian Transfer run a shuttle bus service https://www.austriatransfer.com/en last season it was Euro 60 each way, however if you are a solo traveller it was Euro 100, if there are four or more then a private shuttle is more cost effective.

Private transfers, companies based in Saalbach Taxi Rainer https://www.taxirainer.at/en/, Taxi6620 https://www.taxi6620.at/en/

Holiday Shuttle as far as I can ascertain won't be providing a service this season

Post bus (260) from Salzburg airport, the cheapest way to get to Saalbach, the fare is currently Euro 15 each way, change at Maishofen (680) a couple of minutes walk between bust sops, the bus going up the valley will wait if there is delay to the incoming bus, the service at weekends is a bit limited, these were the times last winter

Sat / Sun from Salzburg
08.49 arr 10.55
12.49 arr 14.55
16.49 arr 18.55

Return times from Saalbach Steinachbrucke (two stops before the Shattberg Xpress) to Salzburg Airport
07.54 Arr 10.35
12.24 arr 14.35
16.24 18.35

You can go via Zell Am See, take the bus to Salzburg HBF train to Zell there maybe a change, then bus 680 to Saalbach or a tax, last connection at the weekend from the airport 14.31 and coming back 19.20.

You can buy bus or train tickets through the Salzburg Verkehr app, it also has the ski bus times handy for when you are in resort, link to their website https://tinyurl.com/m2ppkfza
snow report
Thanks great @radar, So comprehensive and quick! Thanks very much. Very Happy
latest report
@rachelb, Your welcome, I knew the question would come up so popped it on page one for occasions such as this Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@rachelb, It looks like the public bus frequency has been increased at the weekend, the new timetable goes live 10 December, I will check during the week and give an update
snow conditions
rachelb wrote:
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for transfers to and from Salzburg? We're coming Christmas week. Very Happy Thanks

I booked my transfers for Xmas week with taxi.booking.com - £360 return for an 8 person people carrier. Seemed a very good price compared to the alternatives.

Free cancellation as well.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@Ben1reilly, I could store them for you.

Thank you - that would be amazing. I’ll send a DM.
snow conditions
@rachelb, used these guys last year and very happy with the service. Door to door return for 400 euro for up to 8people
https://www.gasteintaxi.com/en/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gastein taxi = Airport shuttle ( https://www.austriatransfer.com/en) = Rudigier all the same company Very Happy

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 20-11-23 9:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hey all! Just looking for some info on places to park for a few weeks in and around Saalbach. I'm in a van and not looking to be spending too much for a small patch of grass/snow, ive found some potential options 25/30 mins away which dont seem too bad. I'll be getting a superski card soon, but it doesn't look like they allow overnight parking in the liftstation carpark.
Thanks
snow conditions
@alexwalker, Welcome to Snowheads, the https://www.glemmerhof.at/ has a campsite with facilities, there is some parking where I believe you can stay overnight ( you can in the summer )in Hinterglem it’s near the Westgipfelbahn, the tourist office is the best place to ask.

Edited: possible error by me Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 20-11-23 11:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@radar, and @alexwalker, (welcome to Snowheads, and by the way are you the Alex Walker who is related to me?)
I generally direct my guests, who bring vehicles, including vans, to the Schönleitenbahn, where it seems permitted to leave vehicles parked (at no cost) indefinitely. Radar, are you saying that camper vans are excluded? I suppose that much may depend on the type of van/vehicle.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, from the little I know they don't like people sleeping/camping there, I've have left the car overnight there having had dinner at a nearby restaurant Very Happy , up at the Westgipfelbahn it seems OK , this summer there were lots of MTB camping, though there are no facilities
snow report
Thanks for all the help and links. Looks like we'll go with taxi option. Smile
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, @alexwalker, I’ve edited my post as TT has quite rightly made me question myself about the Schönleitenbahn parking .
latest report
@radar, you may have been right initially. I haven’t seen or taken notice of any terms and conditions that may be displayed at the Schönleitenbahn car parking area. It’s possible that they distinguish between long term parking and camping overnight, so the type of vehicle may be relevant.
snow report
Hey guys, maybe slightly off piste with the topic here but we visited last year and loved it so much were coming back this year.

It's a bit of a special occasion this year as I plan to ask my other half to marry me and I'm thinking what better location than the top of a mountain!

With that in mind, has anyone got any recommendations of scenic areas? I did reach out to the saalbach Instagram account and they mentioned wildenkarkogel or taking a sleigh ride to lindlingalm. But I guess a trip to lindlingalm means less time on the slopes and I'm not sure I can convince her on that!

We're staying opposite the zwolferkogel so can be up there at the crack of dawn but wanted to make sure I haven't missed out on some great spots as we didn't get to explore the full area last year (bloody COVID).

Fingers crossed she doesn't read this. Very Happy
ski holidays
If she says ‘yes’ at the top of the mountain it will all be downhill from there.
latest report
@Gow87, one of my guests last season got down on one knee on the ridge between Schönleiten and Leogang. It seemed a good spot, with a nice view in the background.
If that appeals, you bear to the right at the top of the Polten 8er chairlift, as if you’re heading for piste 168 to Viehhofen. And there’s a relatively narrow ridge with the Leogang valley and ski area spread out below.
Another excellent spot is the top of the Kohlmaisbahn, where there’s a lovely, dramatic view of the Leoganger Steinberge, no danger of anyone photobombing, and no doubt plenty of people to take a photo or two.
snow report
@Gow87, I would in add one more to the suggestions , the top of the Zwölferkogel, take the 12erKogel (in Hinterglem) or the Zwölfer-Nord.

if your are on the 12er turn right out of the lift station, a short walk and you will have a view down the valley, as it's the top of the mountain there is a cross there, the picture is the summer view, taking a picture of the cross is optional Laughing

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy