Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé and Super Salzburg Pass - Snow Report 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
TV showed it coming down hard in Flachau, but minimal in Wagrain when we looked out of the window. Morning shows no change outside Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morning flangesax, good to see you last night, have pm'd you
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flangesax, Leaving airport now,ready 4 dust on crust.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think I should start checking in here reguarly - we will be out to ski on the 16th Feb from Flachau, please don't use up what snow there is before then. I'm keen to arrive and see if I can translate my recent successes inside to outside, so need some hero snow to experiment with Toofy Grin Can whoever, has a direct line to the Snow Gods please stick in a request for about 50cm fresh overnight each night a week before we arrive? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, believe me, I am out on the balcony doing the snow dance and making all kinds of sacrifices to Ullr and Khione daily Blush
Just spent a super fast 2 hours trying to keep up with LB in FlachayWinkle, the snow was great, bit disappointed there wasn´t more of it as a lot seemed to fall last night, but there were so many large school groups all over the place we left at 11am and have decided to go touring instead.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anybody skied anywhere around the Gastein resorts lately? How's the snow? We're off to Dorf Gastein in three days' time.

EDIT: Ooops, just saw the report from a few days ago on the previous page....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kooky, how did I miss you - I was there too!!! Ange
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flangesax, but I saw you, so my Avoidance Technique Classes obviously paid off then Twisted Evil You ready for tomorrow? Should be a wonderful clear night, got my hip flask(s) filled, fancy a ski in the morning …..John Inmann voice……..I´m Free Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, pray for snow! The tops have had a dusting and there was very light snow at Sportgastein today. Dorfgastein/Großarl are skiing well but the valley runs are a but rough, ice and sugary snow. They'll probably close them in a week or two. Another dusting forecast Friday. Salutations from the green and brown Gasteinertal.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
flangesax, great day guide. Found some great fresh snow at Zauchansee in the back bowls. Acres of untracked ankle deep powder. May not be an epic season yet but go looking and you will find.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HutToHut,
Quote:
Dorfgastein/Großarl are skiing well but the valley runs are a but rough, ice and sugary snow. They'll probably close them in a week or two

Laughing Laughing Laughing if they do, I will buy you a beer……..hell, make that 2 beers.
waynos, How long are you here? Fancy Zauch again tomorrow? Very fast on piste day?
I am meeting up with Avalanche Poodle and nickH

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 15-01-14 18:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kooky, oh yeah, like that is it! Was I looking pathetic? I was on my touring skis, trying to ski on them, got the hang of it after a while! Yes I will do the tour, see you in the car park. Im getting the middle lift btw. Ange.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax, hehehehe! Me too, can't be doing with that "three steps forward,slide 20 meters backwards with open bindings" malarky. Did that last year and still have the scars rolling eyes

We are skiing Zauch first lift til 12 isn, then see you at the carpark at 14.00 for the night tour Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep. Cant do morning, got jobs to do and get minime to skischool. See you in carpark.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ok, and don´t forget your pulse belt! We need to be burning x amount of calories and be between 120- 140 fat burning blah blah blah cos it´s all about the numbers………see ya there xxxx
ski holidays
kooky, considering the conditions the valley runs are remarkably skiable. My comment was more focused on Hofgastein where a local barkeep said unless they get snow the valley runs will shut, he is a langlaufer though so what does he know!. Plenty of people downloading already.
latest report
HutToHut, indeed, the Austrian have so much pride that whatever the condis, you can STILL ski down.
I love this country SO much…and the snow will come, I have it on good info Blush wink
ski holidays
Graukogel shut from mid-station - not unusual at all but struggling to mid-station as well now.
snow report
kooky, Please carry on dancing all you can. Hopefully we will see some of our SH friends whilst we are out there.
snow conditions
Awesome day at Forstau! First time we have been...thanks to the locals for the recommendation. Hero pistes and tip top snow from the mid station upwards, the home run was a bit scraped but still very skable. I totally got my mojo and am looking forward to seeing the video that Tarquin took.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx,
Quote:

am looking forward to seeing the video that Tarquin took.

So am I! Very Happy
snow conditions
Great day in the Gasteinertal today, conditions similar to Schladming yesterday, and Wagrain before that. The run down was interesting, scraped from the top of the funicular, and then sugar at the bottom, but it was still possible to ski back to the valley.
latest report
Top half of Hofgastein/Gastein was good today. Some new snow had freshened up the fast hard pistes. As above valley runs are interesting. Odd hole in the Hofgastein H2 valley run. The soft ice isn't actually that bad to ski. Hopefully they can push some snow down it and keep it open till the weekend when colder temps and snow is forecast.
ski holidays
What time do the lifts close in Radstadt? Just booked our transfer today and I'm wondering if we will be able to to make it to the slopes in the Afternoon. It will rely on the airport and transfer company being super efficient but you never know your luck.
ski holidays
Nunfa1, 16:00 last safety control at 17:00
If you buy your pass to start the next day then you get an hour free from 15:00 on the day of purchase.

holidayloverxx, did you see Poodle and Ange and Kooky on their way up?
snow conditions
flangesax, no we didn't. We popped over to reiteralm for the afternoon
latest report
Went to the Lungau region today, just south of Obertauern, covered on the Salzburg Superpass. First time in this area, 50min drive from Schladming, passing through Obertauern to the Gosseckbahn gondel. We parked here for the day, took the lifts up and up to 2400m. The top area offers some amazing off piste terrain which we of course explored. Was quite windy higher up and a fair amount of snow had been blown about, so cautious of any drifts in dodgy places. The snow off piste was variable depending on aspect and what the wind had down. Basically best snow in shaded and trees, some lovely pockets of soft snow but also crusty bits, wind compacted, rocks etc. We attempted a south facing slope from the top - very tricky conditions, quite good cover higher up but needed more sun to transform to spring snow. In the afternoon got the bus to the Aineck. The top area looked promising for some good off piste but was very windy and in cloud. Did the black run to Katschberg in a whiteout and string winds, made it interesting and the uncovered lift back up was very cold. At the end of the day we managed to get a bus back to where we left the car, which rather surprised me. All in all a great day out, found some potentially great powder terrain in an area offering 1300m of vert. Makes the Superpass even better than I thought. I'll be back!
ski holidays
waynos, The Diretissima? The first time I ever did that was also on a totally foggy day, I almost needed a spare pair of underpants some of the drops on that one took me by surprise Shocked

I knew you´d love Katschberg, it is so underrated, next big powder dump that´s the first place I am going Madeye-Smiley

Just had a great time up on the moonlight tour, such a perfect night, the mountains looked even more beautiful in the moonlight Blush

Skiing Zauchensee tomorrow if anyone else want to join us, it looks like there will be a fair few of up up there snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kooky,
Quote:

Just had a great time up on the moonlight tour, such a perfect night, the mountains looked even more beautiful in the moonlight

Perhaps if I try and get a bit fitter before my next visit I could try this...it sounds lovely.
Do you walk up in touring boots/bindings? Haven't got such things.
latest report
kooky, my feet hurt, I must have the wrong boots! Ange
snow conditions
Pedantica, You can hire tourings skis/boots and skins very reasonably here, last night we took a friend,up it was her first time and she fell in love with it. The grin on here face after the ski down at 11pm just said it all really.
There is such a different atmosphere up there at night, and although some of the gnarly doods sprint up in a hour, we prefer to take our time, stopping off at all the various huts, and just drinking in the scenery as night falls (although our slave driving Harem Master refused a visit to the third hut en route Shocked)
If you are out here again let me know and I will gladly help you, the next tours are 15th Feb, 15th March and 15th April.
The last one in April is really great fun as there is a band playing typical Austrian folk music(NOT the cheesy apres I know you are so fond of wink )but it gets busy, always about 400-450 people!
flangesax, well that´s not surprising when you lug boots weighing in at 5 kgs each up the hill……….think grams, it´s all about the numbers wink
snow conditions
flangesax, were they Ben's boots?
snow conditions
kooky, dang, can't do those dates. Sad It does sound great, oompah notwithstanding. wink
ski holidays
2 weeks to go Very Happy
ski holidays
15th Feb Won't do us either - we'll have (hopefully!) come to end of an all day 600 and some odd mile drive that evening Sad
latest report
How is the main run down to the bottom of the Achter Jet in Flachau holding up?
snow conditions
FraserP, pretty well. No stones or thin patches
snow conditions
Light snow the top of Hofgastein today. Valley runs getting precarious, soft with pebbles on top and the odd hole. If the temps drop and some snow falls down to the valley it'll be really good. Home tomorrow.
snow report
Light snow the top of Hofgastein today. Valley runs getting precarious, soft with pebbles on top and the odd hole. If the temps drop and some snow falls down to the valley it'll be really good. Home tomorrow.
ski holidays
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy