Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
nozawaonsen, fingers crossed .... I keep reading your posts for some hope for the end of Feb!! Thanks for all the effort!! snowHead

Right, off to watch Ski Sunday. Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-02-11 18:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is more chance of me dropping my wife off for a party at Silvio Berlusconi's villa than there is of snow in France this week.

Enjoy the sunshine and spring conditions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not a bad set of 12z GFS ensembles for next week (warm and sunny this week). The test of course will be how this all looks once it gets into low res.

Chamonix

The Arlberg

Setriere

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mmm.. could be cold and snowy leading up to half term, dieu merci snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm sure people will have seen this on HAT or elsewhere (or indeed it may have been posted on another threat). But it is worth flagging up.

"It doesn't look like it will snow for another week, but when it does come in more quantity it will make for some of the most treacherous conditions I have known in many years. With a fresh snowfall, the snow pack will be made unstable as the new layer will not bond to the old one due to the shape of the snowflakes in the current snowpack."

It may snow next week. It may not. But it's worth keeping in mind the impact it could have on the snowpack if it does.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen, Mm. Well worth flagging up. Will be hard for people to resist the temptation, but......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, been telling people the same thing myself (i do occasional avalanche awareness classes here). We have a crusty surface layer which new snow is not going to bond to. Below that, there's masses of sugary depth hoar. It's going to be really sketchy!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 7-02-11 10:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
18z GFS interesting in that it shows what happens if the high pressure over Scandinavia can't hold back the Atlantic meaning colder temperatures don't really establish themselves.

If 18z operational was right it would still be snowy next week (ie from about Valentine's day or rather night), indeed probably quite heavy, but the start of the week would bring rain to lower level resorts, before it gets colder later on with a second band of snow arriving around 17 February (possibly very heavy, but again the snow level would be a concern in lower resorts) .

[before that it is worth adding that there could be some light snow in Austria this Friday through Sunday, possibly more widespread on Saturday]

To be honest it would not be too surprising too see the dominance of the east and the west swing back and forth a bit in the coming days.

For the Alps it would be ideal to get some cold in ahead of the Atlantic, but it will still be the Atlantic which provides the snow (if the east won out and introduced really cold temperatures it would probably be drier too). Actually in far FI 18z also introduces a system from the Mediterranean into colder air which would be rather good, but too far off to take seriously.

So although it could still all change... it is continuing to look less dry from next week...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure how reliable snow-forcast.com is but they are saying snow in the Pyrenees on Saturday morning. The day I fly!

(managing a very quiet and optimistic 'whoop!')
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mrgallacher, snow-forecast takes it's data from the operational GFS run I believe? (as do a number of other forecasts). So it will be as reliable as that is!

This morning's 00z GFS operational contrives to be neither one thing nor the other for the Alps (neither really taking the cold from the east, nor opening the gates to the Atlantic). There are many more appealing individual ensembles including the control. ECM looks better for my money.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
do the wiggles indicate a move away from the blocking high

where in this request am i being rude,, anyway i appreciate answer

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 7-02-11 11:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Which blocking high?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
this one
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Which blocking high?
rhymes with bob then add head,and i dont mean snow Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That is hideous. I've not been following the pressure charts this year, and that reminds me why.
snow conditions
phillip33, I find your rudeness quite astonishing. I have ignored it repeatedly, but it does grow tiresome.

There is obviously currently high pressure over Europe at present. But there is also the strong potential (which has been mentioned several times over the last week) of a high pressure system setting up over Scandinavia providing a northern block and allowing cold air to flow across Europe from the east. It is not clear whether we are moving closer to of further away from the scenario of the northern block.

Hence my perfectly genuine question as to which "blocking high" you were referring to.
ski holidays
phillip33 wrote:

latest report
phillip33 wrote:

sorry thats better getting used to the system, please see above !
snow report
phillip33 wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
Which blocking high?

that's pretty rude

nozawaonsen contributes a hell of a lot of knowledge (as do others) on this thread and the last thing we need is comments like that putting a dampner on things - the weather is capable of doing that itself!

moving on - how are people able to predict the weather so far in advance with the long term forecasts. I remember reading back in October about it being a barren snow year for the alps (albeit with a sting in the tail) and that's been pretty close to the mark. Is it down to world weather patterns, or some other techno stuff?
latest report
shoogly, guesswork and luck! If enough folk forecast long term (as they do) a few are bound to be right Wink
snow conditions
shoogly wrote:
phillip33 wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
Which blocking high?

that's pretty rude

nozawaonsen contributes a hell of a lot of knowledge (as do others) on this thread and the last thing we need is comments like that putting a dampner on things - the weather is capable of doing that itself!

moving on - how are people able to predict the weather so far in advance with the long term forecasts. I remember reading back in October about it being a barren snow year for the alps (albeit with a sting in the tail) and that's been pretty close to the mark. Is it down to world weather patterns, or some other techno stuff?

Luck. However, there are some long term forecast tools that are usable ( and in general, forecasting continental weather is a touch easier than forecasting UK weather.)

Most of the general "the alps will be cold but dry" forecasts have drawn on the fact that we are currently experiencing a strong La Nina. This "often" results in a cold early winter, mid latitude high pressure in the middle and further cold towards the end of winter.
ski holidays
http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagneprevisionville%2F733041

snow on a forecast Shocked Shocked Shocked

makes a pleasant change,
latest report
phillip33 wrote:
http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagneprevisionville%2F733041

makes a pleasant change,

A whole 1 or 2 cm on snow-forecast, looks like the Q7 will be alright without the chains!! Very Happy
latest report
lightningdan wrote:
phillip33 wrote:

makes a pleasant change,

A whole 1 or 2 cm on snow-forecast, looks like the Q7 will be alright without the chains!! Very Happy
my q7 couldnt handle a mm of snow, in fact out practicing on saturday just in case 1-2cms turns into a dump, you must be a member then of snow forecast, there is more predicted around the 17th but appreciate this could change,but on the whole at least there looks like a change of sorts is coming,the guys reading the wriggles will let us know, where did you get your chains from
snow conditions
shoogly wrote:
phillip33 wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
Which blocking high?

that's pretty rude

It's very rude, unnaceptably rude frankly if it's aimed at nozawaonsen - phillip33 I'd suggest you watch what you say unless you want a lot of complaints going to admin about your behaviour towards long term and highly respected posters - in the meantime rather than trying to pretend you never made the comment above MTFU and apologise!
Quote:
nozawaonsen contributes a hell of a lot of knowledge (as do others) on this thread and the last thing we need is comments like that putting a dampner on things

Spot on!
Quote:
the weather is capable of doing that itself!

It sure has been this year for parts of the Alps but prospects seem to be currently improving so fingers crossed - some very good accumulations happening up in Scotland at the moment, heavy snow at Cairngorm right now snowHead
ski holidays
phillip33, only long term and highly respected posters are allowed to be rude without getting picked up on it wink but seriously though you might want to get in to the spirit of things and hold back on the knob head stuff .... Little Angel
ski holidays
calm down lads, i,ve been playing,he,s a bit sensitive, didn,t appreciate his tone on one of his replies, anyway i,m really sorry if that helps,re roga mtfu how origional take you long to come up with that??!! joking before it kicks off again
ski holidays
Quote:

Jeez, Meteo France really do talk some p*sh sometimes on the temperatures in their forecasts. They're giving +8C and raining in Sainte Foy on the same day as -1C and snowing in Val (just a couple of miles away). That's an impressive lapse rate of 3C per 100m! Puzzled (for non weather-gurus, 0.5C per 100m would be "normal" in wet conditions).

They don't even seem to be consistent within their own forecasts sometimes - e.g. they'll give a high of, say 5C for the day, then if you look at their morning/afternoon/evening breakdown they don't show anything higher than a high of 1C. Very weird.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I cant for the life of me understand where phillip33, was coming from on that one Puzzled

Surely he has read enough of this thread to recognise that nozawaonsen, knows what he is talking about.

Maybe a misjudged joke and I think most would give the benefit of the doubt but i am at a loss to understand its contextphillip33, ?
snow report
phillip33, and just to add my pennysworth, if you make an effort to understand and follow all this, instead of just demanding (not too strong a word) some kind of crystal ball gazing to suit your own purposes, you will find it more rewarding - and you will understand the reason for the uncertainties and the reason why it doesn't do to rely on any detailed "forecast" 6 - 9 days ahead. especially any which put a figure on precipitation.

The best place for snow chains is the Roof Box Company - and they will give you excellent advice if you telephone them.
snow report
nozawaonsen, I really appreciate the time you take to do these weather reports and how you politely answer people's specific queries. I look at this thread first thing when I turn the computer on in the morning and hope you will continue to post so helpfully.

phillip33, you are my teenage son and I claim my £5.
ski holidays
Back on topic.

I am lucky enough to be going to Puy St Vincent in the Southern French alps on Sunday.

It still seems that from the 14th the FL is still marginal and the potential Niederschlag seems to be fluctuating greatly with every run still.

At least we have some hope of a breakdown of the aforementioned HIGH but i pray we dont get rain at resort level Evil or Very Mad I hate skiing in the RAIN.
snow report
Well, I have been patiently watching this thread for about 7 weeks now hoping and praying for good news. My time is now up and I fly out to chatel tonight for 5 days of boarding. I have run out of time in my hope for snow so there is nothing left to pray for, I will just accept my fate and do whatever is out there.

Looks like nice weather, reasonable pistes, and at -4 to -9 at night hopefully plenty of snowmaking so will just make the best of what they have.

I am saying goodbye to this thread now, this is my only trip this year so when I get back I will be checking the weather forecast for Florida in March and hope that the info I saw earlier today suggesting I am travelling during the USA schools spring break is in fact a bad dream and not a bad miscalculation.

So, until next October good bye one and all, many thanks for the excellent updates on here and I hope the next big dump reaches all your prospective resorts in good time Smile

Good skiing.....................
latest report
mheadbee, I think you'll be OK on piste - and I'd rather be there than here. Have a great time snowHead
ski holidays
Newbie here enjoying the chat, conjecture, sarcasm and occasional trawling.
My wife thinks i'm really sad constantly watching the forecast for the last 6 weeks, but i find all this interesting.
From what I can gather this has been the worst french Alps snowfall since 2006. How often does a resort go over 1 month without any ppt?
we go to LDA on saturday. Anyone there presently? The Easiski blog is still quite upbeat about piste conditions especially up high
My main question is about the freeze/thaw over the last few days, will that have damaged the pistes considerably?
snow report
noz
Any analysis do 06z? Please?
Is the cold losing the battle? Sad
latest report
risb98 wrote:
Newbie here enjoying the chat, conjecture, sarcasm and occasional trawling.
My wife thinks i'm really sad constantly watching the forecast for the last 6 weeks

When choosing a jacket for no. 1 son on Saturday, he chose one I thought was too thin. "How cold is it going to be?" he asked....."I don't know" I replied. "How can that be?" he said "you're OCD about the weather"......... Sadly he's right but I love it! Thanks as always to all those who contribute.
ski holidays
[quote="risb98"]
From what I can gather this has been the worst french Alps snowfall since 2006[./quote]

2007 I think you mean. No it will almost certainly be worse than that. In 2006/7 it snowed at the start of the season but we didn't have the high altitude rain that washed everything away. This will probably be the worst winter in the Northern Alps... for (dare I say it) a generation although things are uncannily similar to 2007 in a lot of respects. Excepting early December we didn't get significant snow that year until early March with a rapid end to the season due to lack of snow depth.

Still if you've watched my two recent snow reports on the Small French Resorts thread you'll see that on piste conditions are holding up very well. As someone said on SkiPass yesterday "praise the lord for snow canons, 20 years ago I would have been blowing my skis on rocks at the bottom of the pistes".

Think of ski businesses though, expect a few bankruptcies. The Swiss say lift pass sales are running at 60-70% of normal in resorts that are fully open (it may not end up so bad as the half term reservations were made in advance and there probably won't be too many cancellations and some of the loss in trade is due to the strong franc).
latest report
davidof wrote:
...... As someone said on SkiPass yesterday "praise the lord for snow canons, 20 years ago I would have been blowing my skis on rocks at the bottom of the pistes"......

Yes, IIRC '86 was pretty dire - I remember a lot of bare patches and rocks at Val Claret. Snow cannons have improved things dramtically
ski holidays
RetroBod wrote:
noz
Any analysis do 06z? Please?
Is the cold losing the battle? Sad

Yes. For the western Alps at least, the cold has lost the battle. The operational and most of the ensembles show daytime freezing level fluctuates from around 1500m to 1900m for the next two weeks. It gets colder the further east you go, with 850hpa temperatures hitting seasonal average for Austria.

Precipitation is one of the hardest things to predict. If you follow the 06z GFS run In France, the operational shows precipitation on the 13th, though I expect this to actually not happen. There is a further large predicted to fall between the 17th and 19th, though this would fall as rain below about 1700m or so.

The important thing is the trend. On the positive side, the ensembles and operational seem to agree that next week will be wetter. They also agree that things won't be as cold in the west as we would like.

If I were forced to make a prediction, it would be that: in the western Alps there will be falls totalling 30cm in the two weeks following this one. This will fall as rain, sometimes heavy, below 1500m and as snow above 1800m.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy