Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, guessing noza is referring to the detailed avalanche forecasts on Meteo France.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevomcd, yes I was. Of course the figures are only a general indication. As far as wind speeds go they will certainly be lower, lower down.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevomcd, nozawaonsen, thanks, have found those now. Another 60 cms! I can hardly see out of my windows now - it's getting really hard to keep digging out, cos there's nowhere to put it! Exciting, though.

I'm not inclined to worry about that nobsnow. Got to draw the line somewhere. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
edited

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 5-01-12 19:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well my wife does

Woof Woof
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ZAMG is warning of very high winds and around a metre of snow by Saturday morning in the Arlberg. Osterreich warns gusts of up to 150kmh are possible in the mountains with the arrival of "Andrea".

WRF suggests the snow will start to arrive around breakfast time, here it is at 0900.

It currently looks like going strong through till lunchtime on Friday in the west, but continuing all day in the east.

Saturday looks relatively calm with some clear skies, but pretty cold.

In the east snow returns on Sunday into Monday. In the west clear skies and sunshine.

The first half of next week looks cold, the second half quite a bit milder, although with blue skies, plenty of snow and sunshine, it should be very pleasant.

The end of next week remains very uncertain. GFS has high pressure over the Alps a week on Saturday.

ECM paints a different picture...

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen, get the snow to STOP. It's ruining the skiing. (Oh yes, and please send some to the Dolomites.)

Thank you Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The first half of next week looks cold, the second half quite a bit milder, although with blue skies, plenty of snow and sunshine, it should be very pleasant.

Does that line come with a money back guarantee?? snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead

Hope you're right, fly out Sat.... snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An extract from this morning's Tirol avalanche bulletin.

"... the Alps lie in the path of a storm to gale strength westerly to northwesterly air current... heavy snowfall to North Tirol by Friday evening... Following improved conditions for a brief interim on Saturday, the next round of snowfall will unfold Saturday evening and on Sunday... Mountain weather today: Caution, heavy snowfall and gale strength winds will continue until this evening! ... By tomorrow morning there may be huge amounts of new fallen snow in the mountains of North Tirol, which will then be transported by storm strength winds... Storm velocity westerly winds, shifting this afternoon to northwesterly. This evening and during the night, wind gusts will reach gale strength."
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gott in Himmel!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Osterreich is Live Blogging the storm (auf Deutsch) and warning of storm force 12 winds.

LIVE-TICKER: Sturm-Alarm in Österreich

[some good pictures of the winds hitting the UK earlier]

It's noticeable that for the eastern Alps there is likely to be quite a sting in the tail with further snow pushing in Saturday evening and possibly through to early Tuesday. At present this contrasts with much calmer weather in the western Alps.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any update on new snow/ snow forecast in the dolomites?????
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This snowfall chart shows the heavy snow expected over the next 7 days

and the steiermark avi report similar to the tyrol one above.
http://lawine-steiermark.at/index.php?frame=lage
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TOOTIE, not a huge amount of snow on the horizon for the Dolomites at present (at least in comparison to further north). With the current pattern snow is pushing through, but most of it is falling on the northern side of the Alps. Still should be some fresh snow over the next couple of days!

Here are some ensembles:

Les Deux Alpes.

Chamonix.

The Arlberg.

Hintertux.

Sestriere.

Folgaria.

Zermatt.

Cairngorm.

Eastern Pyrenees.

Bad Gastein.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A less scientific picture; this full size wine bottle was sat on top of the snow on a big dinner plate (so it wouldn't sink in) 2 hours before the photo was taken. I had to go out and rescue it before it disappeared.
snow report
Snow depth measured in wine bottles - it could catch on.
snow conditions
pam w, i like the less scientific approach .... hope the wine has now reached a suitable room temperature and the cork has been pulled !
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

I had to go out and rescue it before it disappeared.
such self sacrifice, glug, glug!
latest report
I like the wine bottle snow-measuring device, it's even better than the poubelle and the Pringles ones. I'm good at making wine disappear too.

More photos please!! snowHead
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
This season i have entered 5 races and they have all been cancelled due to too much snow. My next race is the 6th of January so i predict lots of snow next wednesday/thursday. Not very sicentific Puzzled but it seems to be a trend

Now 6 races out of 6 cancelled Puzzled Another way of predicting snowfall.

I have not entered any races for the next 2 weeks so i predict clear skies, sunshine & firm pistes Very Happy

Expect the next big storm w/c 20th jan Puzzled
ski holidays
stewart woodward, Can you enter a race circa 2nd, 3rd Feb and not race at all the following week? Very Happy
ski holidays
There was a lot of snow out there before it started today - but my path has disappeared. Have to dig our way out again tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
Ibex wrote:
stewart woodward, Can you enter a race circa 2nd, 3rd Feb and not race at all the following week? Very Happy

Where Puzzled
I have the posibility of a race in St Foy, Tarantaise on the 4th Feb or i could go further afield wink
latest report
Started snowing an hour ago here in San Vigilio, northern Dolomites. Expecting 20cm or more overnight. Windy too. Pistes in great nick after snow last saturday and Monday.
snow conditions
Steve Angus has just done his daily report from Val D'Isere Shocked Shocked Shocked

LOCKDOWN / UNDER SEIGE whatever you want to call it... thats the state of play at this moment in time.

When people say they are 'snowed in' that usually means that they have to dig a path out and it is a hassle... however at this moment in time I am thinking that perhaps we will be snowed in and quite literally I may need to tunnel my way out... however the snowing is coming off the flat roof above and piling up outside the window / front door at a rate of knots... the pressure is falling massively and the wind is VERY VERY VERY strong... anyway more of that in a moment.

The day started surprisingly calm... there was lots of snow for sure - I reckon a good 10-15cms had fallen overnight... but (certainly down in the valley at village level) there was little / no wind... so everything seemed to open on time which I think everyone was surprised about.

The kids were on great form today and we spent the morning lapping around on the Madelaine lift.... no one seemed to want to come and enjoy the excellent conditions... as you can see from the photo (well sort of anyway) empty pistes and no-one on the lifts. They have just about managed to get flexing and extending coupled with 'chips' (as opposed to pizza) with their skis AND pole planting down to a fine art... well done kids.

The conditions got steadily worse and worse as the morning then afternoon went on....

SORRY INTERRUPTION... THE WIND IS SO STRONG AS I TYPE HERE THAT I THINK OUR SATELLITE DISH MAY JUST HAVE BLOWN OFF THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING - I WAS JUST GETTING INTO THAT EPISODE OF LEWIS... THE SIGNAL HAS TOTALLY GONE... NO WAY I CAN GET ROUND THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING TO CHECK RIGHT NOW - bug.

Anyway what was I saying...

As the afternoon went on the winds got up and the snowfall intensity increased... little by little the lifts closed down.

By late afternoon this was the view outside Doudounne night club in the centre of town.

I got home about an hour ago as it got dark... my little apartment is the one with the light on. I would estimate that that pile of snow outside and to the left as we look is now about 3-4 metres deep... in the pre and post season period I park my car outside the flat and if it were there now I very much doubt there would be any sort of trace of it.... so I think I really may get snowed in... think I had better get up at midnight to start digging my way out of the front door!

Breaking news They have just announced that the PIDA has been called in to shut off Fornet to cars and pedestrians (as if you would walk anywhere in this) and everyone has been told to stay indoors wherever possible... a small avalanche came down across the road about an hour ago (VVVVVVV small one) so the car had to be pulled free from that between here and La Daille.

Things are now happening very fast here... I think they may be about to call it an 5/5 avalanche risk and possibly close the road between here and Bourg St Maurice... will keep everyone updated as all there is left to do is watch DVD's and use the internet.
latest report
stewart woodward, EK, but St Foy would be close enough but the date is a little late as I'll be trying to travel there on the 4th. You are providing a very valuable service. No need for GFS and ECM and all that computer modelling mumbo jumbo. All that's needed is a copy of your racing calendar. I think people would be prepared to pay good money for such valuable information. Very Happy
ski holidays
Ibex wrote:
stewart woodward, EK, but St Foy would be close enough but the date is a little late as I'll be trying to travel there on the 4th

The race date is just right. It normally snows like stink a few days before a race so the pistes become very soft and too dangerous to race rolling eyes
ski holidays
Here's this evening's SLF update.

High Avalanche Danger Widespread http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/lawinenbulletin/nationale_lawinenbulletins/index_EN

"The snowfall is expected to slacken off in western regions on Friday, in eastern regions it will continue to snow, in some places heavily. In the central and eastern parts of the northern flank of the Alps... 40 to 60 cm of new fallen snow is anticipated... The wind will continue to be blowing at storm strength and shift to northwesterly. The midday temperatures will be minus 10 degrees."

"On Saturday and Sunday, but particularly on Sunday, the snowfall is expected to continue, accompanied by strong to storm velocity winds from northwesterly directions. It will remain cold. Only in the furthermost southern regions will it remain dry. The avalanche danger is not expected to change significantly."
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward, Great news for me then but I'm sorry to hear that your racing career is being dumped on. wink

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 6-01-12 0:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Parts of the US doing very well.

The Northern Rockies Go Epic [very fortunate snow border]

Parts of the US doing less well.

December 2011 vs. December 2010
snow report
Anyone know if there is ANY chance of snow in the Cuneo area of Piemonte?

Pleeeeease!?!?!
snow report
10,000 homes without power in Tirol as a result of the storm.

adam.b, sorry. This pattern is awful for that area of Italy. None on the horizon.
snow conditions
Getting anxious about the transfer from Geneva on Saturday morning...
ski holidays
You'll be grand by Saturday morning. Tomorrow morning will be a struggle
latest report
Multiple stations in France, Switzerland and Austria shut off by heavy snow and avvies Friday.
latest report
Hi

I go out to portes du soleil on 14 January and am startin to get very concerned by the latest ensemble. Am I being stupid or will the warm weather bug it up for us in chatel/ PDS?

Ensemble here: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png

Thanks to Noza for such excellent reports to date.
snow conditions
Whitegold, do you have a list?
snow conditions
ChrisWo wrote:
Whitegold, do you have a list?

I've heard so far:

Zermatt, Val d'Isere, Tignes, Val Thorens, Les Arcs all cut off. Towns in the Maurienne without any road access and no electricity.

Any advance on this?
latest report
mr_merc wrote:
Hi

I go out to portes du soleil on 14 January and am startin to get very concerned by the latest ensemble. Am I being stupid or will the warm weather bug it up for us in chatel/ PDS?

Ensemble here: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png

Thanks to Noza for such excellent reports to date.

me too, but there has been so much so of the white stuff, I think we will be fine, keep the faith my friend! Very Happy
snow report
paulio wrote:
Les Arcs all cut off.
Not all of Les Arcs, only 1950/2000. That access road is closed fairly often as they need to secure the slopes above it after a big storm like they had last night. 1600, 1800 and the other villages are accessible by road although care and chains are required.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy