Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
roga, you are correct. It is rather a hang-wringing fest on here at the mo, with the half empty glass brigade in the ascendency.

Cover is moderate but eminently skiable, temps have generally been cold, the cannon(s) are on, the sun is shining and the forecast - as always - teasing

all part of the fun surely?

snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno wrote:
aren't we being a bit france(/western alps)-centric here? Bernese Oberland and east looks like it has had a good dump in the last week or so

yes exactly, follow the snow, in France either go high > 2000 meters or go east.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, don't know the site but totally agree - I appreciate booking late is very hard for some people but many can and frankly they'd save themselves a lot of angst by doing that - go high would be a sensible rule for early bookers!

red 27, lol yeah agreed snowHead
davidof wrote:
yes exactly, follow the snow, in France either go high > 2000 meters or go east.

Or north if the next week plays out to our advantage Toofy Grin

Speaking of which nozawaonsen how's it looking now for Scotland - still chopping and changing or chances of a net gain in snow firming up?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
New snow is desparately needed in Courchevel. If you're an on-piste skier of Green-Blue-Red runs, conditions are largely alright - and excellent on the pisted runs early in the morning. However most steep reds, blacks and especially off piste are in a bad way.

I've been checking the analysis on here almost every day, many thanks to nozawaonsen for the insight!

Fingers crossed for a dumping of snow soon!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with Roga, there is still some very nice skiing to be had in France. We haven't had any fresh now for 3 weeks, but I still had a really pleasant afternoon today, just out cruising the pistes and working on a bit of ski technique. I suspect conditions are less good in the busier resorts, but the cold weather has kept things pretty decent overall.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
Snow in mid March - should start to lay down a bit of a base for later in the season.

At the moment the conditions are the worst for a generation, the only saving is that a generation ago most resorts didn't have snow canons.

I was in Tignes in '90 in January and am in Val d'Isere now and there is no comparison in the conditions, even without the snow making they are far better now than they were then.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, from Friday Scotland looks set to have a series of low pressure systems rolling across from the Atlantic. It looks like it is going to be stormy at times. Temperatures look set to gently drop during the week, but as each low pressure sytem crosses they will be raised before dropping so a fair amount of snow to rain, rain to snow. Clearly the higher you are the more likely there will be more snow than rain. Where the dividing line between snow and rain is likely to lie will be key and this is not settled yet.

Really unattractive 18z operational. The Alps look like being rather warm over the weekend. Which won't be ideal. Possibly a little light snow into Austria on Friday. Then warming up. Hmmm...

Hope those skiing in North East Italy are having fun...

Let's see how it looks tomorrow... wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have cheered myself up a little by seeing that the 18z operational GFS was something of a mild outlier...

Still looking rather warm Sunday and on to midweek in the Alps.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
About the best thing you can say about the models this morning is the from midweek next week there is a downward trend in temperatures back towards seasonal averages. After a pretty warm four or five days in the Alps from Saturday afternoon.

Perhaps at present it is best that there is little in the way of snow forecast given it would likely fall as rain. Much of this week looks sunny with some high cloud around... So enjoy the sunshine.

(things can of course shift fast, only last Thursday the charts seemed to offer at least the potential of cold and snow for next week, but for now that seems a fairly distant prospect across the Alps).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not looking good at all, how depressing !!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen wrote:
About the best thing you can say about the models this morning is the from midweek next week there is a downward trend in temperatures back towards seasonal averages.

Is this much the same for Austria too (Soll area)........whats the outlook like/

This wiggle link seems to delay by 24hours? Is this the right lat long for Soll 12/47?

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_1247_ens.png

BTW nozawaonsen great weather commentary I hang on your every update, just keep the Austrian views coming too (as you have been)!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
to my very amateur eye looking at the wigglies across the alps for Engelberg, Stuben, Morzine it looks like staying warmer than average until at least the 15th Feb...with a very warm period over the weekend, before 'cooling' down a bit, but still staying above average for the time of the year
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="T Bar"]
davidof wrote:

I was in Tignes in '90 in January and am in Val d'Isere now and there is no comparison in the conditions, even without the snow making they are far better now than they were then.

Your point being?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
to my very amateur eye looking at the wigglies across the alps for Engelberg, Stuben, Morzine it looks like staying warmer than average until at least the 15th Feb...with a very warm period over the weekend, before 'cooling' down a bit, but still staying above average for the time of the year

Im now even more depressed than earlier... Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
... mmm ... splash and dash to Innsbruck Friday to Sunday - I may have judged it just right for some warm and sunny boarding Very Happy
snow conditions
RetroBod, just insert wetterzentrale into the address in place of wzkarten. And yes that is for across the Alps, a warm weekend followed by milder than average temperatures gently trending back towards (though not quite reaching) seasonal averages. Sunshine, cold beer etc etc...
snow report
Quote:

BTW nozawaonsen great weather commentary I hang on your every update, just keep the Austrian views coming too (as you have been)!!

I agree, but I almost wish I hadn't discovered it. I have been coming on here 3 times a day for 4 weeks now and all I have received a bad news followed by faint hope that is quickly dashed by more bad news. I would have been better just looking a few days before I went but now I have stsarted I cant stop.

Going out next tuesday, now I am praying is doesnt get too hot, I have totally given up on hoping for snow. Crying or Very sad

Oh well, its inevitable that there is going to be a crap year every now and then. Just a shame I cant go later in the year when it snows again.
ski holidays
with regards to predicting weather, the models seem to be better at predicting no snow than snow, with regards to temperatures they seem to be more reliable,but i,m guessing its easier to predict that as it is more a trend,as opposed to a actual happening like snow, so i guess what i,m saying is THEY KEEP RAISING MY HOPES THEN DASHING THEM Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad i,m going to VALDISERE 19th feb and i,m officially going offline( NO WEBCAMS NO VALDISERE SITE,S NO WEATHER SITES NOTHING) from now until the monday before i go,as all it seams to do is kiss me off, and my wife,s fed up with me now,"nothing i can do she says" and to be frank i agree with her now,so happy predicting and in the words of SIR STEVE REDGRAVE "IF anybody hears from me on this this website you have permission to throw a snowball at me "!!! happy watching
ski holidays
Quote:

with regards to predicting weather, the models seem to be better at predicting no snow than snow, with regards to temperatures they seem to be more reliable,but i,m guessing its easier to predict that as it is more a trend,as opposed to a actual happening like snow, so i guess what i,m saying is THEY KEEP RAISING MY HOPES THEN DASHING THEM i,m going to VALDISERE 19th feb and i,m officially going offline( NO WEBCAMS NO VALDISERE SITE,S NO WEATHER SITES NOTHING) from now until the monday before i go,as all it seams to do is kiss me off, and my wife,s fed up with me now,"nothing i can do she says" and to be frank i agree with her now,so happy predicting and in the words of SIR STEVE REDGRAVE "IF anybody hears from me on this this website you have permission to throw a snowball at me "!!! happy watching

See you at midday after the next run then Little Angel
ski holidays
Sorry phillip33 but let's be clear you're having a hissy fit about the "VALDISERE" (ooops, now why am I shouting!) not some low level slush fest resort with the same name? This being the Val d'Isere that's linked into some of the highest slopes in Europe including 2 GLACIERS (oops shouting) so about as snow sure as they come - what are you looking for exactly a sprinkling of magic fairy dust on top of those snow sure slopes or something rolling eyes

Seriously please get a grip, it's high there's snow and there loads of sliding - perhaps not quite as much snow as you'd like but you have almost 3 weeks until you go, plently of time for forecast models to chop and change and then change again.

Oh, an overnight sprinkling of snow at Cairngorm this morning and the forecast winds seem to have moderated ... a bit - all part of see sawing weather models I suspect though!
snow report
Indeed.

Just to reiterate anything beyond seven days treat with great caution!

Now... Sun... Shades...

Short Skirt Weather forecast?

A Dutch company incidentally...
ski holidays
Good conditions prevail just head east from 728m upwards, see here

http://www.hauser-kaibling.at/de/wetter-schnee/webcams/index.htm?c=1
latest report
Current long term model output is not conducive to large amounts of precipitation in the French alps over the next couple of weeks. The polar vortex becomes established to the north west of the British Isles, encouraging high pressure to build over central and southern Europe. This kind of pattern tends to persist for long periods of time. The 06z GFS run shows some potential for day 10+, but this is quickly squashed as the pattern re-establishes itself.

On current output, it could well be a very dry and warm February.
latest report
Do you reckon these people http://www.accuweather.com/en-gb/fr/rhône-alpes/val-d'isere/forecast2.aspx got it wrong then? They suggest warmish and wet (mixed rain and snow from 10th onward).

Edit: Hmm- the whole address doesn't seem to have come out - copy and paste the whole address or go to http://www.accuweather.com/default.aspx and put in location (eg Val d'Isere) then click on Next Week.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Do you reckon these people http://www.accuweather.com/en-gb/fr/rhône-alpes/val-d'isere/forecast2.aspx got it wrong then?

Val d'Isere is right on the border line with Italy and can get some weather systems tracking eastwards where there are low pressures over the Med. That snow frequently doesn't make it very far into the French Alpes. Montgenvre, Serre Chevalier and Puy St Vincent also pick up this snow and normally to a great extent.

Still it was all here on PisteHors, would have saved you guys 45 pages of GFS runs:-

Quote:

Posted: 17 October 2010 01:12 PM

So after two reasonable seasons that reads “snow drought” to me, with maybe better conditions in the Southern Alps / Pyrenees and close to the border with Italy where you can get some precipitation blown up from depressions that traverse Mediterranean.

Laughing
snow report
Looks like Igluski are showing extreme pessimism on the snow front - none until Jan 2012 and never again in St Anton Laughing (I'm crying inside mind....). Well well.... It really is looking like one p*ss-poor season to say the least...

http://www.igluski.com/snow-forecast
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Do you reckon these people http://www.accuweather.com/en-gb/fr/rhône-alpes/val-d'isere/forecast2.aspx got it wrong then? They suggest warmish and wet (mixed rain and snow from 10th onward).

Edit: Hmm- the whole address doesn't seem to have come out - copy and paste the whole address or go to http://www.accuweather.com/default.aspx and put in location (eg Val d'Isere) then click on Next Week.

Further to davidof's post, I'm pretty sure Accuweather forecasts are automatically generated from the latest GFS run. After 192 hours the grid resolution of this model gets much coarser which does some interesting things to the precipitation data (and precipitation data beyond a couple of days is largely useless). While pressure is high over central Europe, most of the alps will remain dry.

Right now, with the current model output and teleconnections, I'd look to last week of Feb/first of March for anything significant. That can change pretty quickly though.
snow report
I should also say that developments around the 8th of Feb have potential. On the GFS and ECMWF outputs, an intense cyclone starts to develop in the Atlantic and the high pressure over Europe starts to shift eastwards. The GFS eventually rebuilds heights from the south, but this is worth watching.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

Val d'Isere is right on the border line with Italy and can get some weather systems tracking eastwards where there are low pressures over the Med. That snow frequently doesn't make it very far into the French Alpes. Montgenvre, Serre Chevalier and Puy St Vincent also pick up this snow and normally to a great extent.

I'm going to La Grave on the 12th so suits me.
ski holidays
Nothing will be changing from the current drought until the Jet Stream moves south.

Tignes and Val d'Isere pistes have been in great condition for the past two weeks thanks to cannons and snow mining. If going to VdI I wouldn't worry too much, even with the predicted heatwave for this weekend.

Skiing in tee shirts?
ski holidays
JezC wrote:
Looks like Igluski are showing extreme pessimism on the snow front - none until Jan 2012 and never again in St Anton Laughing (I'm crying inside mind....). Well well.... It really is looking like one p*ss-poor season to say the least...

Can't really agree with that in our neck of the woods - we've just had a fantastic week of powder in the Ski Amade region.

December was excellent too! A slight hiccup with the warmth at the beginning of January, but no more than any other winter. Plenty more snow in the offing as far as I can see, as we are only about a third of the way through the season.

I realise that for those of you with only a single week out here it is tough, but to right off a whole season because one particular period is poor, seems a tad excessive. Sorry, but you just drew the short straw - it happens sometimes.
snow conditions
Hi All
If it is any consolation to you I've just returned from a week in Les Menuires. The weather was cold and sunny all week and the on piste snow was in good condition. Sure there are the odd icy patches in areas of heavy traffic / steepness but the conditions were in no way a disaster. The resort is doing an absolutely cracking job at keeping the slopes in good condition (working all night in shifts moving the cultured snow they had made on to the pistes (I can not praise the pistuers highly enough for the work they were doing). So all of you due to travel to the Tarantaise resorts will have a great time I'm sure. I know we would all like some new snow but in the meantime there is plenty of the white stuff to be having fun on. Back to the Alps in March - can't wait.
Griggs Very Happy
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
JezC wrote:

Can't really agree with that in our neck of the woods - we've just had a fantastic week of powder in the Ski Amade region.

December was excellent too! A slight hiccup with the warmth at the beginning of January, but no more than any other winter. Plenty more snow in the offing as far as I can see, as we are only about a third of the way through the season.

I realise that for those of you with only a single week out here it is tough, but to right off a whole season because one particular period is poor, seems a tad excessive. Sorry, but you just drew the short straw - it happens sometimes.

Oh absolutely. If only I could spend a whole season in a ski resort. Regretably, some of us have to... you know.. work for a living. That sort of thing... Limited to 25 days holiday, other commitments etc...

But thanks for the sympathy....

As for drawing the short straw, I'd say a day or two of snow in January preceded by a day or 2 in December (seems to be the norm across the French and Swiss alps) counts as pretty shyte in terms of what one might call reasonable expectations of precipitation non ? I just pray that the pisters in AdH take enormous pride in their job - it's all I've got left... Sad
snow report
Does amuse me reading all this............

If you think it's bad getting wound up just about the weather / conditions for skiing / snowboarding you should try windsurfing as well!

I spend more time looking at the prospects of how good the surf / wind will be for us here on the South Coast - to try and plan my working day/week around the wind & tides, as at least I can get out when ever I want to usually with careful forward planning - for the weekend warriors they only have two days to hope that the conditions might be favourable!!

Quite often when it looks like we're in for some windy weather that might often coincide with snow in the Alps - and it was looking quite good for the weekend onwards.

Still looks like we're on for a very windy weekend but if you look at this chart http://www.seaspritesports.com/weather120.php#map (See image below) you can see how that area of High Pressure is forcing the tracking fronts North, and no real "weather" in the Alps - and this is the name of the game - if that High was to move / dissipate South then it could well be a different, and more positive scenario.

Obviously snow is not always a result of Atlantic Weather systems - recent snow in the Eastern Alps was a front coming in from the NE and some of the best snow for the Southern Alps is from frontal activity from the Med tracking North - that's when Corsica gets it!

Thing about skiing etc is that for most you've booked your week etc and what will be will be - in effect you're an "Annual Week Warrior" - that said we all still look to see what will happen, but really there's no point, as has been said on here so often, at looking at anything as concrete more than 5 days ahead!

I'll try and update this chart on here so you can see what will happen with that High - now if we all focus on it and visualize it moving South maybe the power of Snowheads will force a change - just as likely as the Met Office being right rolling eyes

snow conditions
Weathercam,

Cheers uri! Bend many spoons lately - and how's Michael..... oh no wait Laughing
latest report
Like it Weathercam. Cool

I hear what you're saying but surely we just love having a moan. It's all part of the fun ?

Que sera sera but yeah, why not give collective willing a go.. Concentrate... "Nnnnnn move south high pressure, move south.. Nnnnn"
latest report
JezC wrote:

Oh absolutely. If only I could spend a whole season in a ski resort. Regretably, some of us have to... you know.. work for a living. That sort of thing... Limited to 25 days holiday, other commitments etc...

I think you may be jumping to unjustified conclusions. People who live in snowy parts have to - y'know - 'work', too.
ski holidays
JezC, ever thought of a more easterly direction? The world as you should know is round and you will not fall off the edge if you dare to exit the French speaking areas wink I mean look how much snow Russia gets, even down to sea level in the far eastern reaches Laughing
latest report
[quote="davidof"]
T Bar wrote:
davidof wrote:

Your point being?

Just comparing it with the conditions a generation ago, doesn't seem as bad to me as it was then.
Not disagreeing, just comparing.
ski holidays
JezC, your first comment - absolute tosh - try reading the thread properly!
Samerberg Sue wrote:

Spot on!
JezC wrote:

Sarcasm apart there's no sympathy from me with that kinda attitude dude - get real, mountains have weather and weather can sometimes be sh*te or less good and no amount of stamping of feet and hissy fits is gonna change that. Conditions at the moment aren't a write off particularly north and east and high up in France is fine - you can't say a whole season is a write off and get away with it just because conditions aren't quite how you want them for one week in one small part of the western Alps.

So to sum up it's a good/great season high up all over, it's a great season in North America, it's a great season in Austria and the east, I hear it's great in the Dolomites, it's been very good so far in Scotland (snows been falling today) and last I heard it was great in Northern Europe but some lower levels in France and Switzerland 'aint so good - if that's a bad season or a write off I'm actually quite happy with it!
Quote:
As for drawing the short straw, I'd say a day or two of snow in January preceded by a day or 2 in December (seems to be the norm across the French and Swiss alps) counts as pretty shyte in terms of what one might call reasonable expectations of precipitation non ? I just pray that the pisters in AdH take enormous pride in their job - it's all I've got left... Sad

Not everywhere is the French and Swiss Alps ya? rolling eyes

What "reasonable expectations of precipitation", weather happens, especially mountain weather and that's it, what you gonna do sue the weather gods or just shout at the sky?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy