Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

So fairly light snow is possible (though not certain) around the Three Valleys, Les Deux Alpes, Alpe D'Huez etc

Not as far north as PdS then Sad

I still have a week and a half to go...come on snow, you know you want to.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mheadbee, no, nothing significant by the looks of things at the moment, might get a dusting though.

A bigger prize if you are going in a week and a half is the potential for a bigger change in the weather. Nothing certain at all. But there are some faint suggestions out there...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen dont tease, spill the beans, name names! Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, Laughing Laughing

nozawaonsen, thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB posted a link to this site on another thread.

It's quite a nice, concise introduction of some of the weather patterns.

"How to find the snow a brief guide for the European Alps"
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen, DB, cool site Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could one of you nice weather folk put up a GFS link for my location please. Coleraine, Norn Iron.

55, 8' N 6, 39' W

Cheers
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy, I think this is right:

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://viennaskiing.com/how-to-find-the-snow-a-brief-guide-for-the-european-alps/

'The large inner-alpine valleys like the Susa and Aosta Valley (Western Italy), Rhone Valley (Switzerland), the Inn Valley (Austria) and the Adige Valley (Northern Italy) all are quite dry. The driest regions are those valleys which lead from these big valleys into the high mountain massifs (i.e. Mattertal, Engadin, Oetztal, Vinschgau). In some of these valleys you will find wine yards as high as 1000m! Not a promising prerequisite for deep powder.'

'The locational choices depend heavily on the season of the trip. Especially early winter (November/December and sometimes even January) can be particularly tricky. The best approach for this time period is to restrict the locations to those which receive particular intensive orographic precipitation. Inner-alpine dry regions should be strict no-go areas for this time period. These regions (which in principle offer some very fine skiing) are perfect only later in the winter, especially for spring skiing. Then chances are higher that a good snow base has been accumulated even in these alpine ‘deserts’.

This is quite a revelation for anyone planning an early season trip. Shocked

It basicially says don't go to Zermatt, Saas Fee, Aosta, the Milky Way, St Moritz, Solden or the Dolomites before February. I suppose I sort of knew that from years of watching the conditions in the Alps where it appears these areas frequently have poor early season depths, although this La Nina winter seems to have delivered snow to either ends of the Alps with both the Milky Way and the Dolomites having good early season snow, much better than say the Tarantaise or Savoie Alps which are presumeably more 'orographic'. Also i assume altitude and snow making have made these dry inner alpine areas more reliable for early season skiing, but not good places for early season powder, particularly as they also tend to be very rocky.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A few thoughts whilst 18z is rolling out:

- no real chance of snow tonight in French Alps.
- though possible light snow showers across much of the Alps tomorrow evening. Possibly slightly stronger in Carinthia and the Dolomites into Friday.
- potential for reasonable snow in the Pyrenees from tomorrow evening ebbing and flowing for much of the weekend. And again Tuesday and Wednesday.
- possibility of light snow in French Alps on Saturday.
- then dry all the way to the end of next week.

Then... [CAUTION FROM HERE ON IN]

Well by now we are well into FI... So very low confidence... But a number of the runs across a number of the models seem to see things shifting around the end of next week... One option would see the high pressure building up to Scandinavia inviting cold in from the east... But the form horse this evening at least seems to the Atlantic back in charge... So snow across the Alps next Friday, then pause till larger snowfall comes in the week after next.

Obviously it is FI and it almost certainly will not happen like that. But for today at least (and what the paragraph above is meant to illustrate) the end of the high pressure seems to be an option (though don't write it off yet, nor forget that the Atlantic can bring milder temperatures along with moisture...)... It will be interesting to see where it sits in the ensembles and whether this scenario picks up any support (at all) tomorrow.

twoodwar, hope that gives an indication of the possible pattern shift. Possible is the key word. And the form horse in FI is probably a unicorn chomping on a cigar, swigging a 1982 Bordeaux...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well if it comes down to a toss up between cold and dry and mild and wet, I think I'll go with the anticyclone, thanks. wink At least they can blow snow and there's nowt more miserable than rain in a ski resort.

I wonder if, by April, this will be the longest running snowheads thread ever? Can we give our weather guru some kind of long service award? snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I certainly would not get worried about the risk of mild and wet at this stage. The only point I wanted to flag up is that there is a raised possibility that we could have shifted from the current pattern in a fortnight or a bit less. And even that is far from certain at this stage. But something to keep an eye on.

Here are some ensembles for:

Alpe D'Huez/Les Deux Alpes

Chamonix

The Arlberg

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Incidentally the 18z control and a number of other ensembles (if not the operational) were looking a little more business like about the possibility of snow in France on Saturday. Hope it can build on that way tomorrow... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another relatively stormy set of runs into FI (slightly different to last nights, but further suggestion that there may be a pattern change over the horizon).

This morning's (00z) control runs are again trying to rally the potential for a little more snow in France on Saturday. Will they have brought the operational runs with them by this evening?

Clearly a little more mild by the end of next week than it has been for a while, before a slight dip.

Stormy weather from the Atlantic (like that cropping up in some of the FI runs) would inevitably be likely to be more mild than low pressure coming in from the north or east. Worth watching (rather than worrying about).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead I wasn't really worried about mild and wet!

Pattern looking a bit more disturbed. Good.
ski holidays
Cheers nozawaonsen. Hope for goggle weather from Sunday 5th, and get my Matterhorn snaps in on Saturday, before it is obliterated in Snow clouds. Should I cancel my Chalet Etoile booking in Cervinia for Monday lunch though Puzzled Smile
latest report
Well 10cm of fresh reported over the day yesterday and more fallen overnight at Cairngorm - don't think that was forecast ... just goes to show how fickle the models can be when it comes to snow! snowHead
snow conditions
Has GFS lost the thick green line???? Puzzled Puzzled

Seems to have disappeared Puzzled
snow conditions
 brian
brian
High Pressure looks pretty much in charge for at least the next 10 days or so. Sad Maybe some snow in southern France in a few days but other than that, time to forget it until this time next week and return with fingers crossed. Confused

Rain in the village is fine by me. If it's snow above 2000m then the heavier the better. wink
ski holidays
brian yes next week looks largely dry and sunny (though worth keeping an eye on the French Alps given some of the control runs) Little warmer than last week perhaps, but still just below seasonal averages across most of the Alps.

The possible pattern change is still a little while off, 10-14 days (and by and large tucked into the low res part of GFS). 06z continues the theme (would potentially be gales across the north of the UK in the second week of February and snow in Scottish mountains?). It will be interesting to see how and if things shape up as it moves into hi res.

Mattmulkeen, yes there seem to be a few glitches at present with the ensembles on wetter and meteociel.
snow report
ok so its 2 days before i go to Val Thorens, are we still saying there will be no new snow next week? Dry and sunny is fine, at least we will have great views and visibility etc etc who needs powder when you can have rock hard pistes..... Sad
ski holidays
Crispyapplepie, possibility of 5cm or so on Saturday, but may well come to nothing. Otherwise, looks dry...
latest report
 brian
brian
12z FI delivers big time around the 7th/8th Feb (with an ideal trajectory for the Valais wink ). Half term deliverance anyone?
snow report
12zGFS Another stormy (and potentially) snowy FI...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 27-01-11 20:44; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:

12z FI delivers big time around the 7th/8th Feb (with an ideal trajectory for the Valais ). Half term deliverance anyone?

i go to chatel on the 8th, i bet I get snowed in at the airport.
ski holidays
brian, I was chatting with a local instructor today and we were actually theorising that could be a scenario for total chaos. Imagine it:

It hasn't snowed for weeks.

It dumps big time.

Avalanche risk goes off the scale.

Lifts are closed all over the place.

Resorts are struggling to get pistes open.

It's chaos on the roads, and....

... it's half-term..... Shocked
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
brian, I was chatting with a local instructor today and we were actually theorising that could be a scenario for total chaos. Imagine it:

It hasn't snowed for weeks.

It dumps big time.

Avalanche risk goes off the scale.

Lifts are closed all over the place.

Resorts are struggling to get pistes open.

It's chaos on the roads, and....

... it's half-term..... Shocked
interesting i had a dream that is dumped sat 19th feb and we got stuck for hours going up the hill to Valdisere,on the strength of this its snow chain practice on sunday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Weather will change with the new moon, not before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meteofrance are predicting a change from next thursday onwards as predicted by me a few days ago wink wink wink Very Happy
snow conditions
Cross model support for a pattern change continuing. So far the weather is mostly coming in from the north west which is good. Almost all of it in low res at present so limited confidence and certainly low confidence in any of the detail. Worth keeping an eye on temperatures as it comes into +192 range.

Here is ECM 12z at the limit of it's range, at least if you aren't paying, +240.

Continuing uncertainty about potential snowfall into southern part of French Alps (including Tarentaise) from Saturday through Monday, but there is potential for light snowfall (possibly slightly stronger now Monday into Tuesday).
snow conditions
meteo here suggesting snow to 800m tomorrow in the french alps....just in time f to dre away from it ... Crying or Very sad Nevermind, been a good week and the cold has really helped keep what is laying in decent enough shape for smiles snowHead
snow report
But no new snow for the swiss alps Sad Sad
latest report
can someone do the wrigglies for sestriere please snowHead
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, here you go:

Sestriere:

Like southern parts of the French Alps there is considerable uncertainty over how much snow will fall over Saturday. The GFS operational run indicates not a great deal, the other ensembles suggest it could be a reasonable amount. Quite a cold week coming up, though not as cold as last week, slightly warming to next weekend and looks quite sunny and dry from Monday.

WRF has light snow coming in later today and more tomorrow and is also a little more bullish than the GFS operational run.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 28-01-11 9:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Its either snowing or foggy on the webcams now.

Cheers nozawaonsen snowHead
latest report
davidof wrote:
Weather will change with the new moon, not before.

you been speaking to snowangel

Very Happy
snow report
Looking at some of those FI charts it is worth flagging up how stormy some them could be in the UK and especially Scotland, Northern Ireland and parts of northern England...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 28-01-11 21:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hi to all, new to SH avid follower of this particular thread but struggling with some of the technical abbreviations FI? GFS? WRF? etc etc any chance somebody could help me out with an idiots guide to weather forecasting. Cheers Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
wishfulthinker wrote:
Hi to all, new to SH avid follower of this particular thread but struggling with some of the technical abbreviations FI? GFS? WRF? etc etc any chance somebody could help me out with an idiots guide to weather forecasting. Cheers Puzzled Puzzled

I don't understand the jargon either wishfulthinker, I just await the word 'snow' wink There is a sticky which is a beginner's guide to forecasting and GFS etc. that might help, haven't read it myself though Embarassed
ski holidays
 brian
brian
wishfulthinker,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy