Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
off to solden, St Anton, Ischgl and Obergurgl on 9 Dec - loooking a bit grassy for me!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="davidof....... Val Tho is scheduled to open at the end of the month though but they will need to make snow to do so.[/quote] VT were planning to open on 19th Nov but looking at the current conditions even with epic snowmaking that appears unlikely.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FraserP wrote:
davidof wrote:
....... Val Tho is scheduled to open at the end of the month though but they will need to make snow to do so.
VT were planning to open on 19th Nov but looking at the current conditions even with epic snowmaking that appears unlikely.

Yes, delayed opening to the end of the month might have been a better expression. Maybe the first time they open in December?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I wonder how much to blame are the ski movies and ski mags, they create expectations of powder-perfect trips, and we're left disappointed with our regular trips.
No! At the moment, most on here are worried because they create an expectation of snow - ie not green pastures at valley level or boulder fields at altitude Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and most on here are pretty fanatical - snowHead snowHead snowHead , after all - so want more than one or two trips per year, and often as early as possible as it's fairly cheap and so makes multiple trips (more) affordable.

Not looking great for the pSB for example.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Austria

No Snow in sight till December

http://www.heute.at/freizeit/wetter/art23671,624691

No snow: Ski resorts still optimistic but need artificial snow to open.

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2509217/

South Tirol praying for snow.

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2509330/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 16-11-11 15:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well,the old wives tale around here is ,if there is no warm wind from the South today(16th) we will have good snow .Also looking around the hedges and bushes there are plenty of berries to feed the wildlife for the coming Winter(mother nature usually knows best)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The BBC explains http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/15744883
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smifffymoto wrote:
mother nature usually knows best

COBBLERS! Mother nature knows NOTHING! And there's thousands of years of human endeavour to prove it! If we went around relying on Mother nature we'd be up to our eyeballs in plagues, floods and poison monkeys. Bit of technology and a good dollop of bloody mindedness needed to fix this. Nip over to Italy, chop up a Dolomite on the cheap, bring it back to Blighty, glue it back together, dome it and hit the Make Snow NOW button! Bobs your uncle, and were all home in time for tea and crumpet.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Verbier opening put back to first weekend in December (at the best).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Where are the so-called "global warming brigade" now then, eh?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think we've still got around 12-15C afternoon temperatures and that looks to continue towards the end of November

Exactly the same in Chichester today - and FL around the northern Alps looked like being up around 2500 at night.....that's definitely not cold....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/G0y1QZtoDK4
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
and FL around the northern Alps looked like being up around 2500 at night

I can assure you that the freezing level at 7:00 this morning, was at precisely 446.8 metres.

Using the rule of thumb of 1 degree temperature drop for each 100 metres of altitude, I calculate that at 2km higher up the temperature was, approximately, b*llocky cold.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are you going to explain it to him Pam or shall I? rolling eyes
ski holidays
You can. Go on.
snow report
Zugspitze

They are not expecting a single snowflake next week.

According to this you have to go back to 1983 to when there was a similar weather pattern, then it started snowing on the 28th Novemeber. But according to the predictions this record will be broken and we will have to go 60rs back to 1953. Also due to the current temperature inversion on the Mountain it is only possible to make snow in spots.

http://www.wetteronline.de/wotexte/redaktion/topthemen/2011/11/1116_zg_Zugspitze-Fast-kein-Schnee.htm
ski holidays
Inversion layer, cold air, being dense, sinks into the valleys during the night, so the temperature is colder at 400 meters than at 1400. The cold air then gets trapped often with a cloud sea at 800-1500 meters.

FL was around 2300 m last night in the Savoie, which is about what Pam said.

-0.6C per 100m btw.

You'll notice one effect of the inversion layer is the annual winter air pollution alerts have started, with speed restrictions on the roads, breathing the Alpine valley air in winter is like smoking a packet a day. Laughing

On the positive side, Annecy is slightly better than Geneva pollution wise.
snow report
For a surprising amount of time in the winter there's a sharp inversion - Beaufort is a lovely spot in summer, very warm (much warmer than up the mountain) full of flowers, people sitting outside cafes etc etc. In winter it's often miserable, very cold, dark (deep valley) and with a freezing fog mixed with woodsmoke etc which can't escape. It's very strange seeing trees covered in a thick film of frost, all up to exactly the same level, with no trace of frost on the higher branches. The weather up the mountain, on a south facing slope, is incomparably more enjoyable in winter. More snow, more sun, not so bone-achingly cold.

We have next door neighbours who come up from Geneva most weekends, to escape the weather. I believe Grenoble is often very bad, too - I've encountered pollution-related speed limits there several times, and I don't go there often.
latest report
Bottom of the Tarentaise can be spectacular for this in winter. It can be a mild, Spring day up the mountain, but the flood plain down at 800m can be covered in a thick frost all day long. Very little sun too.

Remind me why I'm thinking about buying a house down there? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I refused bookings for any earlier than the 2nd week in december for my apartment in VT to avoid people turning up and blaming me for no snow.
snow conditions
On the bright side there are no post from people worrying about the snow that's there melting before they get there Twisted Evil
snow report
stanton, I'm ignoring your posts on weather on principle - frequently over the last few years you have assured us that going skiing was a waste of time as there would be nothing to ski on.

Have been skiing on each occassion
snow report
Quote:

Remind me why I'm thinking about buying a house down there?

Laughing
snow conditions
pam w, ...can everyone please look down the back of their sofas....it's got to be somewhere....
ski holidays
Glacier skiing was operating in Laax last weekend - pretty busy too
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
-0.6C per 100m btw.

Ah right. In that case the temperature 2km higher up was probably only b*stard cold.
latest report
There's an interesting article (in German) from wetteronline.de here, giving details of previous Novembers with little snow (particularly with reference to the Zugspitze). It seems that 1983 was the most recent similar period. But then a metre of new snow arrived around the end of November, within about four days (there's a chart in the article showing snow depth over the month).

Before that 1953 and 1948 were the poorest years for early snow. Then snow only arrived after the middle of December. Seemingly the Zugspitze needs at least half a metre of snowfall before the end of this month if it isn't going "beat" the 1953 figures.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A distinct temp inversion around my neck of the alps too in Austria. There's been continuous frost lower down in the shade for 4 or 5 days now whilst higher up it's been +5 or more .Snow making has been ongoing for several days now but only below about 1100m. My local hill has had one slope open for a few weeks now thanks to getting some man made down a in the last cold snap. Looks like soon we could have piste open at the bottom of the hills, one at the top and green grass in between. This link has a pretty good chat about inversions http://blog.skialpine.com/2008/12/01/2-experts-demystify-temperature-inversions/
latest report
davidof wrote:
-0.6C per 100m btw.

That's not right either. A minimum 0.5 and a maximum 1.0 per 100m, depending on the moisture levels. This ignores other factors that will affect the real-world which means that the rule-of-thumb is just exactly that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapse_rate
snow report
Well according to our lead advertisers Inghams it's now only 13 days and change to the start of the ski season. rolling eyes.

More seriously I expect that there are a number in the industry for whom a poor Xmas/New Year would accelerate the end as it's tough to recover a public perception that it's a decent snow year after that.
ski holidays
Quote:

Ah right. In that case the temperature 2km higher up was probably only b*stard cold.

No, it was unfortunately rather warm. Read the link posted by waynos about inversion.
snow report
Going to Les Arcs for 10th December. Trying to stay optimistic, need to remind myself a lot can happen in three weeks, but the predicted onset of high pressure is unnerving. In a weeks time it'll start getting towards squeaky bum time if snow isn't even at least forecasted.
ski holidays
waynos, do you think I should pack my walking boots when I come out to Schladming on the 16th?
latest report
fatbob wrote:

More seriously I expect that there are a number in the industry for whom a poor Xmas/New Year would accelerate the end as it's tough to recover a public perception that it's a decent snow year after that.

All it takes is a few photos of people standing on their skis in the mud at a low altitude resort and suddenly people just don't spend a lot of money on a ski trip and do something else instead.

Interesting that we have a space on our VT trip 9th Dec, a few weeks ago we had more people than we could take wanting to book on, I've not had anyone contact me since the space came up and was advertised. People are not booking early season trips right now.

But then all it takes is one big dump of snow over the next couple of weeks and all will be forgotten.
ski holidays
Hmmm I hope VT is open by the 9th Happy

Anyway will this photo do you?

or how about this, Alpe d'Huez, Christmas 2001

ski holidays
The model previously highlighted by Samerberg Sue is still showing precipitation in about a week's time - but seemingly only over the western end of the Alps rolling eyes. At least it might be a start eh?

http://www.meteox.com/forecastloop.aspx?type=1
snow conditions
Dr John, 16th Dec? I'm sure it will be fine by then, that's a whole month away yet. The snow machines are slowly get a white covering down, mainly lower down at the moment. There's one lift / piste already open (in it's self very very limited skiing but at least a sign), there's Dachstein glacier (ski amade pass) and further away Kitzstinhorn / Kaprun glacier (on the salzburg superpass) Walking boots? Well there's some very nice winter wanderwegs with or without schnee.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

No, it was unfortunately rather warm. Read the link posted by waynos about inversion.

It can't have been. 2500 is much higher than where I am.
ski holidays
waynos, cool, cheers. I'm not overly worried about Schladming because, as you say, there are plenty of options nearby. I'm more concerned about general coverage over PdS, where my mate has a chalet this season and I'm booked in for 2 separate weeks, Jan and late March.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy