Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V Snow 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, Spyderman, Good stuff - sounds like the reports of devastation have been slightly overdone wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pistes in good nick today in courch, the blacks are opening, suisse, M and combe du pilon (sp) in great condition. very wind scraped at top though. skied the couliour belgue (sp) and breakable slab not very nice and being nervy in there i skied like a donut.

some icy conditions lower down in La praz as the temps have risen..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, Not bad to get down to La P at all in Mid December though eh?

I see a seperate thread coming on... if a doughnut could ski, would it wear a helmet?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No one around?

Looks like a decent fall of snow even down at Meribel this morning. Conditions on piste should be excellent tomorrow onwards I'd have thought. Certainly not the disaster which some people were talking about here the other day. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
10cm of new snow down in courchevel 1550 and its still dumping!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's dumping in VT, poor visibility, but great powder especially on Cime de Caron.
Links still closed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good news guys, I think a decent little top-up before the coming dry spell is most welcome.

This is the latest update from www.merinet.com today

Weather and snow conditions have been changing rapidly in the Three Valleys. Over the past week we have had fresh snow, followed by violent gales which whipped away the fresh snow (and left great bare patches of rock on exposed ridges) and now snow is falling once again.

From the simple method of sticking a ruler into the new snow on my car roof, I can confidently say that ten centimetres fell overnight in Méribel, and we can assume a little more fell at higher altitude. The groomed pistes (unlike the off-piste) have remained in excellent condition and they should be even better with this latest fall.

The weather is due to clear up tomorrow, just in time for the World Freestyle Moguls Cup being held here in Méribel, and also for all the lucky people coming out this weekend. Snow conditions off piste may be a bit difficult after last weekend’s high winds, but conditions on piste are currently wonderful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman wrote:
It's dumping in VT, poor visibility, but great powder especially on Cime de Caron.
Links still closed.

Links closed? I've been over to Meribel and Courch with Topsmoke today, new snow accross the 3v's, poor vis in VT, a little cloudy everywhere else hence us heading for the trees!! Snow still coming down. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
links open and powder everywhere, stunning skiing in meribel off the tougnier drag in bartleville black run... some very tough patches in the col de loze which had been wind scraped or had sastrugi underneath the powder like skiing over railwy tracks..

Jockeys into la praz although closed was fantastic.... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
Jockeys into la praz although closed was fantastic.... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

That's one of my favourite runs. GS'ing down it in knee deep powder a few years ago was a particularly special morning Smile

How is your bumps work coming along? Hope you're not getting too distracted by all this powder Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, bumps are still a struggle but variables are coming on. trainer said today 'at times' am to standard which was encouraging....

great course last week with R21 and am on a great ISIA prep week with flyingstantoni and only one other. 3 guys and a BASI trainer not bad for improving technique.

we hooned bits of jockeys but the light was pretty flat so more shorts than longs. did lots of closed eye skiing today with partners directing which was pretty cool...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, sounds excellent, wish I could have been there, but dates just didn't work out for me. Are you skiing with Izzy?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Links open. Weather improving, but visability still poor. Boywonder is on his way to Courchevel from VT - Beware.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pistes mostly in great shape, some are a little scraped, and have some small stones appearing. Very murky this morning, started to clear in the afternoon so me and Topsmoke skinned up the Col piste to the Col du Thorens late afternoon, above the cloud the air seemed so clear, and the way that the sunlight fell on the rock faces of Peclet made them appear very crisp. Quite an impressive inversion in the valley. Cloud now seems to have cleared…
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Role on 3rd Jan... keep the reports coming ladies! wink
ski holidays
Great skiing today. The sun is poking through aswell
ski holidays
slightly icy and crunchy higher in mottaret better skiing slightly lower down off tougnette and the olympic. also nice on the les menuires side
snow conditions
Started off cloudy in VT this morning, so headed over to Meribel and Courch... Sky started to clear, so we headed back over to La Masse to try and descend via the Lou Valley, no joy, could barely see anything at the top of La Masse... The cloud really closed in this afternoon, so had an early finish, which has allowed me to start the packing I really didn’t want to do!!!
latest report
philw, Sad Thanks for all the reports while you've been out there snowHead
snow conditions
Looks like it is going to be a lovely day today.

red 27, I'll be back out on the snow soon enough... Very Happy
ski holidays
Meribel was cloudy until mid-morning today, then a couple of hours of sunshine, before closing in again. Almost all pistes and lifts are now open, and the snow is in very good shape for December. No crowds, no queues, still some nice untracked snow by the sides of the pistes. Skied Jerusalem into St Martin - very quiet. Bartavelle black was unpisted with fabulous snow, also good skking from top of Platieres. A couple of days of sunshine forecast.
snow conditions
philw, glad to hear it! snowHead

Patch, great stuff - keep the reports coming please Very Happy
latest report
Courchevel today (Sunday 21st)... pistes seemed OK, though with current high pressure & relatively warm tempereatures it won't take long for things to get firm...
Off piste is very hit and miss, with a nice soft layer on top but loads of rocks around or just covered following last weekends high winds. Areas like Creux Noir bowl look like they will take a LOT of filling to be skiable. Everything in the sun was transforming very quickly today, but with a bit of effort there was some good soft snow to be had (easy angled cruising today):

Couple more pics at http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com

**Caution** Can't stress how rocky some off-piste areas are... there are also some nice pockets of windslab about waiting to take out the unwary...
snow conditions
Exciting!!! Can't wait till next sunday. Keep up the updates!! Very Happy
snow report
A beautiful day in Meribel today, sunshine and cloudless skies. Pistes are getting much busier since last week, although barely any queuing for lifts. The majority of pistes are in very good shape, even down to resort level, although, as offpisteskiing says, a lot of the offpiste cover is very thin, with lots of rocks to give your bases a nice stone-grind. There is snow on the ground all the way down to Brides.
snow conditions
Is there still an unofficial "run" down to Brides?
snow report
Patch, That's good to hear - they're hoping for a little snow to freshen up the pistes towards the w/end but no sign as yet of anything to cheer up off-piste fans.
snow conditions
up4it, There's an off-piste route from the altiport, via the villages of Plantin, Hauteville and Petit Biolley. Cover is much too thin at the moment though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This the latest from the ever-chirpy Caroline of www.merinet.com

The sun is still shining and the sky above the mountains remains an uninterrupted stretch of blue. This Christmas week we’re enjoying perfect weather for gaining a tan on the slopes and eating lunch outdoors, though of course this constant sunshine won’t improve conditions on the pistes. The weight of passing skiers is gradually packing down the snow in the busier areas. The snow is still excellent on many pistes (Geai and Rhodos, for example are still wonderful) but is becoming hard packed on others (Verdet and the top of the Saulire are now quite tough). One or two stones are showing through the snow, so you do need to keep a careful watch out. On the bright side however, we still have plenty of snow and conditions are generally quite good for December, plus the long term forecast suggests some more snow may fall at the end of the week.

Snow Dance now being activated...
ski holidays
red 27, i heard the winds last week hit 200kph at the top and that one of the chair lifts was damaged.
ski holidays
skimottaret, yikes - I think I'd have to turn up my DIN settings to keep me skis on in those sort of conditions! Your place didn't blow away though right? Laughing
snow conditions
red 27, it was blowing hard at the top of saulire the other day and it was only my lard that allowed me to cut through the winds. wink my deck chairs managed to stay on the terrace, how i dont know Shocked
latest report
Pistes are starting to get quite firm (as expected) with Combe de Saulire starting to show its usual fine rocky features - particularly at the top... Still some soft snow off the sides - Rocher de L'Ombre bowl was good yesterday, though slightly wind-affected and variable snow.

Doesn't look like any big changes coming, possibly some cloud Thurs/Frid but giving not more than a few flakes here & there... red 27, keep that snow dance going!

up4it, Yep its actually signposted. Needs a good bit of snow to be enjoyable though, if not you spend a lot of time diagonal side-slipping paths and trying not to wreck skis...
latest report
meribel.com suggesting a little snow over the next few days:

WEDNESDAY, Dec. 24
In early morning, a sea of clouds below 900/1100 m occupies especially the sector of the Alps and Combe de Savoie Maurienne Low until it dissipates over the partially hours. Elsewhere, a few benches freezing fog in the morning wetlands low valleys. Above and beyond these weather, beautiful sunny day. The Bise is low in high mountain and then accelerated a bit in the afternoon.
The maximum temperatures the highest (in South steep slopes sunny length) reach: 13 ° C at 1000 m, 7 ° C to 2000 m, 2 ° C to 3000 m.
The next night, the weather is reforming at low altitude. Above, the sky remains clear. Then the first benches cloudy high end of the night mainly Beaufortain and Haute Tarentaise. The Bise accelerating from the evening and becomes strong on the highest mountain ranges. Minimum temperatures lower (in the bottom of the valley) reach: -5 ° C to 1000 m, -8 ° C to 2000 m, -11 ° C to 3000 m.
Insulated 0 ° C to 3100 and 2100 meters.
Insulated -10 ° C to 4400 and 4000 meters.
Wind General to 2500 meters: variable low then northwest 15/30 km / h during the day,
North to North-West the night 30/40 and 15/30 km / h.
Wind General to 4000 meters: North and Northwest in day 10/20 then 40 km / h
North and Northwest night 40/60 and 60/80 km / h.

THURSDAY, Dec. 25
Partly sunny day, with the coldest insulated 0 ° C down to 1400 m and 400 m day night. The wind of North Northwest breath still early morning in high mountain in late morning, he turns to the east in weakening markedly, then accelerating slightly in the afternoon, then generating Foehn and Lombard on the border and the nearby valleys until Vanoise. Sky later in the morning, rain levels are more of the Haute Tarentaise to the High Maurienne through South-East Vanoise they thicken late morning south of the Haute Tarentaise to the High Maurienne where they hook the massive blast and near Piedmont, and give very low snow until afternoon and night (slightly more marked on the border). Rain-snow limit around 1200 m and then lower. At the same time, a sea of clouds descend Lake and invades our Alps from the late morning, below 1200 meters.

FRIDAY, Dec. 26
Still clouds on the border with Maurienne and Tarentaise winds
East (gusts 50 km / h) and snowfall slightly larger (5 to 10cm). The insulated 0 drops to 500 meters.

TREND
Some light back Saturday en Tarentaise / Maurienne before a new
Cloudy episode (or snow) Sunday on the border and then from Monday, returning from a dry and sunny with winds from the North until 7 January.
ski holidays
Meribel good today, very much as above. However, very windy at Col de la Loze and over at Courchevel, wind scraping some pistes almost bare.In more sheltered areas, skiing was terrific. Couloir Tournier had excellent snow, apart from a few rocks at the top. Temperatures were a little colder, but brightened uplater
latest report
Although we has around 10cm on New Year's Eve, some runs now have very thin cover, with small stones and grass showing. The three valleys were very crowded until yesterday, but today was much quieter. Despite some thin cover, there is still plenty of fantastic skiing.
snow report
Patch, Thanks for the updates.

I'm in Courchevel from next week so naturally i'm hoping for some fresh stuff soon
snow report
Not so good today. Was cold overnight, and pistes with thin cover are becoming icy, with many small rocks. Jerusalem, down to St Martin was horrible, as were some of the runs on the west facing slopes above Les Menuires. Runs coming off the Saulire were scraped clean, although most runs down into Meribel and Motteret were not too bad. Pistes were much quieter than last week, glorious sunshine, but temperatures a few degrees lower than yesterday, and quite chilly in the shade.
snow conditions
Heading out to Meribel on 10th.... can anybody based in 3V give an update on conditions?

Looks like there was a little snow yesterday but not a lot. A few Inch's forecast for today.... Hope it comes!!
ski holidays
We go on the 24th, so I'm starting to get a little worried. Though it can all change overnight Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy