Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
jayne durham, could you pm me with your email address then i can pass your contact to the person that is arranging the dinner
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowcrazy wrote:
rob@rar, how was your trip home is there snow right down to bourg now.

Good news, and with cold weather forecast from the middle of this week it should help ensure great conditions over Christmas Smile Journey home was OK but slow. I started the day in Tignes, then drove to Les Arcs on very snowy roads until the dam, then just about got up to the top end of Arc 1800 without sticking chains on. When I left for Geneva the sun was shining and the snow was looking very inviting...

I'll PM you when I'm around this season to see if we can (finally!) hook up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pm on its way snowcrazy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey all sorry been offline for a while and my first post is two pages ago! So, catching up...

I'm based at a barn in La Grange D'Hauteville on the road up from Bourg to Les Arcs. About 15 years ago 8 west london families who like skiing (mostly ex teachers) all took the plunge and renovated the barn. Lovely village, 15 mins from slopes with a bunch of ski instructors and locals in the village too (good for gossip and finding out about the holy grail of mains drainage).

Anyhow am out in the barn with family from Thu 20th Dec for a week. With family - my sister is an excellent skier. I only do off piste with the bureau des guides as I don't think I know enough yet to do anything more than dabble at the side of slopes. Anyone fancy joining us in hiring someone?

Intrigued by the villaroger challenge... Is that a top to bottom race? One of my favourite runs when the snow is good at the bottom of the mountain. And quite empty normally.

Re restaurants, the key is avoiding the French who are all instructed to lunch between 12.30 and 13.30 by a small bloke called Serge who is paid by the state to whisper in their ears every morning. L'Arpette is hard to beat for value. Also like Blanche Muree on the way to peisey from the midway station on the bubble.

Since the demise of the bois de lune, my favourites are Belliou La Fumee at Pre de St Esprit (near bottom of comborciere run/lift) and one over in Villaroger well off the beaten track whose name eludes me. Brilliant place after a brilliant run.

We'll be hiring our chains irrespective of conditions. Have the roads been ok?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimF, hi the Villaroger challenge is Montalbert to Villaroger via the Aiguille Rouge and back quickest time wins
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
redrunmarcus, and loser buys the first round......................
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JimF, That'll be La Ferme....I'll be there on Saturday afternoon, enjoying some of Michel's legendary hospitality
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Up at the top of Vallandry today.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cannot wait! 6 days to go!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gwaelod, that's a brilliant webcam photo Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gwaelod, rob@rar, If you look now they have run the lift and cleared the chairs of snow. I've never seen that much acumulated on a lift. I wonder how it compares in weight to 4 postprandial skiers per chair?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Nicholas, Being of light bones I cannot comment on myself though I have a lardy friend and I would reckon 4 of him weighs far more than that snow Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
surfstar, only got 48hours to go!!! sorry to rub it in NehNehNehNeh hahahaha, jokes.
WOOP WOOP!

gwaelod, thankyou for posting these images, you are just giving me more fuel to annoy my housemates with. haha. think they are gettin a bit pissed off with me now chatting 24/7 about it all! ha
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only 5 weeks to go for me - please leave some snow
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
johnboy, I'm sure you'll enjoy a nice meal there. It will make up for the rubbish skiing.

Wink

rob@rar your bursting my bubble here, i am really lookin forward to going to la thuile in january specially with the shed loads of snow everybodys got......is the skiing really as poor as you say Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
andybabes, sorry, the skiing is fine there. It's a bit of an in-joke that La Ros gets a gentle slap from time to time on snowHeads because of the over-zealous promotion of the resort by one of our members who has a business there. I prefer the skiing on the La Thuile side because it's a bit steeper and more varied, but there's lots to keep people entertained on both sides of the border. I prefer the skiing in Les Arcs/La Plagne, but I'm sure you'll have a good time in La Thuile. There are a few real fans of the resort so if you ask for recommendations there will be lots of tips for skiing, eating, etc (La Rascard restaurant in La Thuile gets a big thumbs up).
snow report
andybabes, The family and I went to La Thuile 2 years ago and had a great time. The snow was fairly good and there is something for everyone. You are bound to have a good one
snow report
andybabes,

From what I gather the in joke started on La Rosiere and La Thuie has become involvedtoo. Everything I have picked up(well almost) has been complementary about the LT skiing for intermediates. I am going the week before and will enjoy myself whatever.

As rob@rar, says, it looks as though we will be Ok for lunch too! Toofy Grin
latest report
Lovely picture across from Les Coches to Plan Peisey this morning. Beautiful snowHead Cool God it looks good for opening this weekend

snow conditions
gwaelod, You know you are worse than Boredsurfin!! Love it though!!
snow conditions
Mouth, Now theres an insult Shocked wink Laughing Sorry pictures keep me motivated, beats working Cool
ski holidays
gwaelod, am in total agreement with you there! Keep em coming....
snow report
gwaelod, lovely - just to the far left of that picture is the chalet we have booked for w/c 12 Jan
snow report
Boris, 75m (1/2 inch on photo) to the right of the Vanoise is where we will be 3 weeks Sunday Cool
ski holidays
Cannot wait. Love the photos.

La Ferme indeed, thank you Guvnor. Cracking place!

Re La Thuile - I had a lovely lunch outdoors in a restaurant down the road to the right of resort (basically bear left from the bottom of the gondola and walk down the road). That's not where La Rascard is by some weird coincidence?

JimF
ski holidays
rob@rar, thanks for that i am in la thuile in jan from 13th but in les arcs 1800 from 9th feb for the week 'can't waaaaaiiiitttt. Can you give me an update as best places to park in the resort, i have read that you have been there allready this season, have emailed les arcs com for info and they say everything is paid parking?! . i know its going to be busy when we go but have seen the piste maps and there looks loads to go at, i really like the fact that you can ski down into many different little villages / areas.
andrew Smile
snow conditions
andybabes, there is less and less free parking available in Les Arcs. I can't say for certain as I have a space in an underground garage so don't use the public car parks, but I think the only free parking in Arc 1800 is the main car park below the main part of the resort (No. 38 on this resort map). Double check with the Tourist office whether this is still free parking (I might be out of date on this). As you're there during half-term you might want to consider paying for a parking space in advance as things get very busy.
snow report
andybabes, ... send an e-mail to 'S' - she knows all the best places for you to park convenient to your apartment ... snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gwaelod, where are you getting all these cam shots from?
ski holidays
surfstar, http://www.lesarcs.com/Webcam-Peisey Scroll along the panaramic picture from the Grizzly cam & click on the green arrows snowHead
snow report
What a wonderful day. Yes I have made it here and the snow is great, the sun is shinning and there are almost no people. For those driving out this weekend. The roads are clear all the way, snow on the hill sides from just above Moutier all the way up to Bourg. Right now you can even ski back to Bourg, how about that for pre season. The snow depth in bourg is about 10 -15 cm where it has not been disturbed. On the mountain it is a mix of powder and wind slab depending of how sheltered it has been. It seems to be staying cold which is a good sign for the weekend opening. Had a great day making fresh tracks, sorry better stop now, must think of all of you back in the office.

Can anyone tell me how I put photos on here, then I could really upset you all. Look forward to sharing this with some of you as soon as you get out.
latest report
snowcrazy, this explains all http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25601
ski holidays
surfstar,

http://www.snoweye.com/?page=fr-tarentaise&detail=peisey

Also from the Les Coches cam. Scroll right round and click on the magnifying image

http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/montchavin/interface.php?pk_interface=65&m=images&r=panoramique&pk_pano=6826
latest report
snowcrazy, excellent. Did Les Arcs open any lifts today?

Easiest way to post photos is to register with the www.snowMedia.com website to host your photos then post links.
snow report
Thanks Rob, I just clicked on the link but it says site under construction. Any other ideas, is that the site you use?
snow report
Doh! Sorry, my fault. www.snowmediazone.com
ski holidays
Quote:

Right now you can even ski back to Bourg, how about that for pre season. The snow depth in bourg is about 10 -15 cm

That is quite something, when was the last time it was possible to ski down to Bourg I wonder snowHead
latest report
BernardC, Bernard ,Sharon was going to let me know about parking when she got there . I thought i would ask rob@rar as he had just returned.
regards
andrew
latest report
rob@rar, That link works but how do I get them to open in this thread when I comment on the snow conditions, pictures speak louder than words. Oh and today was excellent, I only managed to ski to Bourg once or twice in the whole season last year. For anyone thinking of trying this be warned, take old skis, it can get quite bare in the woods and there is NO piste or marked track from below the middle station so take great care, oh and you have to cross the road a couple of times. But it is fun and a bit of a challenge to try and beat the funic down. Lifts officially start on Saturday but they are testing stuff right now.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, once you have uploaded a photo to snowMedia there is a box underneath the photo which is labelled "Linked Thumbnail". Copy the contents of this box into your post here and it will provide a thumbnail of your photo, which can be clicked on to see the large version.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy