Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is anywhere in Europe decent at the moment?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

It's very nice skiing in Norway right now.

My fam are in Norway at the moment taking their kids for the first time and having a lovely trip - cold temps, good snow and empty slopes! Looks like a dream compared to the alps.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So, @Kramer, have you decided yet?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Origen, at the moment I'm waiting and seeing. I'm quite lucky, I can wait right up until the day before if I need to.

As <ahem> mentioned, last year we spent in the order of £2700 each(all in) going to Ischgl and had a good time, and I was hoping to spend a bit less without being reduced to ham sandwiches by the edge of the piste and pot noodles in a shoebox.

However I've just spoken to my buddy and he's prepared to up the budget for various reasons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Origen wrote:

Mountain biking to the PdS in March?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
Origen wrote:

Mountain biking to the PdS in March?

Les Gets is looking in primo condition. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

But like I say, I'd rather keep the "there's no problem, Europe winters are as good as ever" narrative going so why not Laughing

You’re making stuff up again. I simply said it’s been a good season high up to counter the narrative that’s it’s a poor season (which it is low down). And the facts showing snow depths at 2500m well above average substantiate that, even if you couldn’t find any decent snow in VDI

It could have been 6m deep, that's not the problem. All it takes is one, increasingly common, hot day and then a refreeze overnight. Or just rain higher up, which also seems to be increasingly common. Snow completely ruined until the next storm.

As I said before if you happen to be living in/close to one of the higher ski resorts Im sure you've had some good days this season. They've even had a couple of epic days at whistler.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boarder2020 wrote:

It could have been 6m deep, that's not the problem. All it takes is one, increasingly common, hot day and then a refreeze overnight. Or just rain higher up, which also seems to be increasingly common. Snow completely ruined until the next storm.

That is patent nonsense. It may make it difficult for some people the next day, but no reason at all to suppose that it will then remain unchanged until the next snowfall. There are so many other factors that affect the snow pack and surface after it's fallen even before you start including the effect of skiers and piste-bashers...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dunno about the rest of you, I'm having a great season. Conditions for the last few days in flims/laax have been awesome, boot to knee powder, perfect pistes above 1600m, sugary artificial shite below that... had a fantastic week in saas fee in early Jan. Local resorts in pre alps, jura, have been murdered by the rain but selfishly, I've had a great time
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

That is patent nonsense. It may make it difficult for some people the next day, but no reason at all to suppose that it will then remain unchanged until the next snowfall. There are so many other factors that affect the snow pack and surface after it's fallen even before you start including the effect of skiers and piste-bashers...

No it’s not. If your passion is ski touring or skiing off piste then a simple warming event can trash the quality of the snow. It might be ok for your guests though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitzsteinhorn is doing pretty well, both because of it's altitude and the fact it has a decent base (at least compared to the last couple of years). This is in stark contrast to the surrounding and lower resorts which are struggling.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dharnett, what’s Zell like?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kramer, I'm getting the impression from Steve Angus' thread that the conditions in Vd'I are good. Is that an option for you?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:
@Kramer, I'm getting the impression from Steve Angus' thread that the conditions in Vd'I are good. Is that an option for you?

Maybe, although Val has lost it’s appeal to me since my last visit. I prefer to go somewhere that doesn’t make me have a sharp intake of breath every time I get a bill.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve had a great season because I’ve had more time to spend in ski resorts due to a job switch giving me a couple of months off. The snow was fantastic in December (in Zermatt) and we had some good off piste deep snow to enjoy. I then went to 3V in January for a few days and also had a great time … although no off piste as it was rock hard and icy. I still enjoyed it immensely though; just picked up my piste skis, sharpened my edges and went hooning around at high speed. My point is that skiing is nearly always fantastic; whether it’s on or off piste and whether it’s powder, fresh corduroy, hard ice or slush … we’re still lucky to be in the mountains enjoying ourselves. And, overall, this season there’s been a lot of snow to enjoy … let’s not carp about exactly what type it is.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

I agree @Chaletbeauroc … and I don’t even think that it’s “ruined”. Ski the conditions you find and enjoy the fact that we’re lucky enough to be able to do so. No, it’s not fresh powder and that would be ideal; but complaining that conditions aren’t perfect seems to me akin to complaining that the wholesome and tasty food at your local pub is disastrous because Heston Blumenthal’s better.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:
Okay, it is not the greatest season/conditions, but what would you rather be doing? Working? Cleaning the bathroom? …or, skiing?

Well, that's exactly the root of my problem, opportunity cost.

A week's skiing costs me £2-2.5k all in.

For not much more, I can have two weeks lift served mountain biking in the Alps, or three or four weeks mountain biking in the UK.

Skiing, when it's good conditions (good snow cover and skiable all over the mountain so that links are open without having to schlep around on buses etc) is great fun. Mountain biking (to me) is even funnerer, it's just hard to do it reliably in winter.

Hence my dilemma. Puzzled

Having read the full thread, I would tell that you have plenty of other great options aside of skiing and, honestly, this winter is being an anomaly regarding high temperatures.

The snowheads are mostly die-hard skiers. Based on the uncertainty of weather conditions, I would choose any other enjoyable option.

I have made the PSB in December and always lucky for 5 years. Then I make the season in Spain and we are having spring in winter and all my money paid for lessons and lift pass for my daughter is being misused (maybe will snow later).

The mountains will always be there. Enjoy now with whatever you like. Life and health first, snow will come.

All the best
latest report
Thanks for all the input guys.

My buddy, who doesn’t ski often, for various reasons really wants to go this year, so I think I’ll suck up the expense and we’ll probably end up paying a bit more than planned to go somewhere with higher altitude skiing unless the situation is absolutely dire.
ski holidays
@agustin, I've just returned from a wonderful week of lessons in Spain (Baqueira). The snow wasn't perfect and it's true that more is needed, but it was perfectly skiable.
latest report
Quote:

complaining that conditions aren’t perfect seems to me akin to complaining that the wholesome and tasty food at your local pub is disastrous because Heston Blumenthal’s better.

That comparison is irrelevant to this discussion. If you can only enjoy one evening of the food at your local pub - which is of varied quality - it makes sense to choose a night when the best chef is working and your favourites are on the menu.
snow report
Origen wrote:
Quote:

complaining that conditions aren’t perfect seems to me akin to complaining that the wholesome and tasty food at your local pub is disastrous because Heston Blumenthal’s better.

That comparison is irrelevant to this discussion. If you can only enjoy one evening of the food at your local pub - which is of varied quality - it makes sense to choose a night when the best chef is working and your favourites are on the menu.

Disagree. You don’t know what the weather is going to be just as you probably don’t know what chef will be on duty on any particular night. And it’s missing the point anyway; just because something else is better doesn’t mean what you have is bad. Just because fresh deep powder is the best doesn’t mean an icy piste is not enjoyable too. It’s a matter of attitude; you can choose to have fun or you can choose to carp. Any outdoor activity is subject to weather conditions so I think the best approach is to accept that and enjoy what you have.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@agustin, I've just returned from a wonderful week of lessons in Spain (Baqueira). The snow wasn't perfect and it's true that more is needed, but it was perfectly skiable.

Sure thing is that Baqueira is the best snow in our Pyrenees, however my daughter is confined to Candanchu as she is Down syndrome and she trains withe the Paralympics team in the club. I usually drive up and down Friday and back Sunday from Madrid, which is a comfortable 4,5 h drive. Baqueira is for the weekend (as my daughters said) as far as Mexico (my wife is mexican)

Agree, Baqueira is great.
snow report
Blackblade wrote:
Origen wrote:
Quote:

Disagree. You don’t know what the weather is going to be just as you probably don’t know what chef will be on duty on any particular night. And it’s missing the point anyway; just because something else is better doesn’t mean what you have is bad. Just because fresh deep powder is the best doesn’t mean an icy piste is not enjoyable too. It’s a matter of attitude; you can choose to have fun or you can choose to carp. Any outdoor activity is subject to weather conditions so I think the best approach is to accept that and enjoy what you have.

Agree in full. In winter sports, the only unbearable thing is extreme heat (remember Olaf snowman from Frozen film). Aside of it, as lo g as it is cold, or even veryyyyy cold, it is ok. My daughter skied in Levy (Finland) in December 2022 during her Erasmus and she told me that it was “cold” (-20 C) however never complained.

Winter sports and activity in the outside entails sometimes adverse conditions. The only thing is being sensible and prepared, remembering that “fail to prepare, prepare to fail”.
ski holidays
Blackblade wrote:
...just because something else is better doesn’t mean what you have is bad.

Just quoting this bit, as I think it very succinctly sums it up.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

But like I say, I'd rather keep the "there's no problem, Europe winters are as good as ever" narrative going so why not Laughing

You’re making stuff up again. I simply said it’s been a good season high up to counter the narrative that’s it’s a poor season (which it is low down). And the facts showing snow depths at 2500m well above average substantiate that, even if you couldn’t find any decent snow in VDI

As I said before if you happen to be living in/close to one of the higher ski resorts Im sure you've had some good days this season. They've even had a couple of epic days at whistler.

A little geography lesson for you. When there’s a 6m base that means it’s snowed a lot, which means many powder days! I’m sorry you didn’t have a good time in VDI but in a 6 month season not every day will be perfect. Although with the altitude there I’m surprised you couldn’t find any good snow on the shaded North faces?

And as to your last comment, we have not had « some good days », we’ve had a great season so far. Whistler has had one of its worst starts ever.
ski holidays
we've had a good week in low kitzski/ski welt this week so far. 3 powder days and I've seen plenty of stuff unskied that I'll tackle today. low down fun mash potatoes bumps, pistes above in real good condition. warms u tomorrow so we'll go Kaprun
snow report
Just to mention, not that Cross Country Skiing is on most SH's radar, that current conditions are dire for XC practitioners as most of the decent long flat pistes are on the valley floor, even at altitude, with the highest circa 1750m.

Yesterday I was driving along one of the most popular valleys for XC in France which comprises three separate sectors (no ski lifts) and at a time of the season which should be the busiest and circa 60% of the pistes were closed.

The greens & blues which tend obviously to be the most popular are also the pistes that are out in the open and have taken the biggest hit when it comes to the sunshine & rain, whilst the more gnarly reds & blacks are often on the North facing undulating trails in the forest.

We were ski touring and I've never seen the approach devoid of snow, for the first km uphill we were walking rather than skinning in a N facing forest Sad

This morning I'm going via E-Mtb up another valley to take a look at conditions up there, that said I may well be able to drive up it Shocked
ski holidays
Blackblade wrote:
Just because fresh deep powder is the best doesn’t mean an icy piste is not enjoyable too.

Really? rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Kramer, Sure, you just need to get the slalom skis out, sharpen the edges within an inch of their life and learn to ski it like a racer. No problem. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer wrote:
Blackblade wrote:
Just because fresh deep powder is the best doesn’t mean an icy piste is not enjoyable too.

Really? rolling eyes

Well it's a lot more enjoyable than being sat at home on the sofa! Give me an icy piste over a UK high street or muddy field any day.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
Blackblade wrote:

Really? rolling eyes

For me ? Yes, really. I love that feeling as the edge bites and, because it’s a hard surface rather than soft, you gain speed out of the turn. Very intoxicating and great fun … for me.

I also love the delicacy and progression; you HAVE to put the ski on edge first and only then build the pressure gradually, all the time feeling how much grip you have. It’s like braking a motorbike on a race track … if you jam on the front brake the tyre will slide but if you build the pressure then that generates more grip and you can literally have the rear of the bike off the ground without losing the front.

PS. I run 87 degrees sidecut on my skis for these conditions
latest report
Another stunning day in the mountains…
latest report
How does

BobinCH wrote:
we’ve had a great season so far.

fit with

Quote:
This has been a particularly difficult season under 2000m, while better than average above 2500m.
Puzzled
snow conditions
frejul wrote:
Kramer wrote:
Blackblade wrote:

Really? rolling eyes

Well it's a lot more enjoyable than being sat at home on the sofa! Give me an icy piste over a UK high street or muddy field any day.

Exactly !!! Well said.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Another stunning day in the mountains…

Looks fantastic … can’t wait to get back again (ten days and counting …)
ski holidays
Blackblade wrote:
run 87 degrees sidecut on my skis for these conditions

Fair enough. I can imagine that it would be fun on the correct skis.

IME that’s probably as much about having the correct equipment as attitude though.
latest report
Kramer wrote:
How does

BobinCH wrote:
we’ve had a great season so far.

fit with

Quote:
This has been a particularly difficult season under 2000m, while better than average above 2500m.
Puzzled

All the big lines in Verbier are above 2000m. Off Mont Fort 3330m, Mont Gele 3023m and Attelas 2727m.

Look at the snow depths at 2500m compared to the average. We’ve been in record territory until recently

And in the last 2 weeks it didn’t snow much here but dumped near the Italian border so we went skiing over there.
snow report
I’ve not been in the Alps since 22nd January so can’t comment on current conditions (up until then I think the season had been good at higher elevations, poor at the lowest elevations). But your time frame of early/mid March is still some way off, and much can change before then. I suspect you’d get more meaningful information from following the weather forecast thread on the forum than the discussion here. From my very limited meteorological understanding there appears to be indications of a change in the final week of February, with a period of cold and snowy weather looking more likely. Two or three days of moderate to heavy snow could transform conditions, particularly on higher slopes where I think the snow is still at average depths, or higher. As has been the case all season, head high for the most enjoyable conditions (but have access to trees in case the weather comes in hard).

I understand the dilemma if there’s an alternative you’d enjoy more if the snow conditions are very compromised. I’d not sit on the beach in the rain as there’d almost certainly something I’d enjoy more if I was on a seaside holiday. But I think it’s way too soon to make that call, especially as you have a lot of flexibility in your travel plans. FWIW, I was in the Spanish Pyrenees last week with the worst snow conditions I’ve had there. Skiing had a different set of challenges to what I would have hoped, and we had a different set of rewards to what I would have liked, but there were rewards nevertheless. Sunny lunches on the terrace; relatively warm evening strolls around the tapas bars; focusing on changing technique to get grip at what ever point around the turn you wanted; adapting your skiing skills to cope with the variety of conditions throughout the day, starting with very hard refrozen snow, then softening snow with loads of grip, and finishing with mounds of heavy, sugary snow. A range of challenges in very poor conditions, but still plenty of fun to be had.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Blackblade wrote:
run 87 degrees sidecut on my skis for these conditions

Fair enough. I can imagine that it would be fun on the correct skis.

IME that’s probably as much about having the correct equipment as attitude though.

I think you’re right; but the right equipment makes it fun and therefore gives you the right attitude.

Skiing deep powder on slalom skis is hard work and skiing icy pistes on 100mm all rounders is too. Absolutely worth either having your own skis for the conditions or going back to the hire shop and asking to change them (friend of mine went back three times to change skis during a ten day trip as the conditions changed and the hire shop were fine with it)
snow conditions
@rob@rar, thanks, useful information.
snow conditions
Quote:

Personally I'd rather go out hiking than spend £1k+ to snowboard on icy pistes Happy I find it actively un-enjoyable after a couple of runs and not a good allocation of cash or holiday time.

I don't mind a splitbaord tour in marginal conditions though, but I wouldn't tell people they have the wrong mindset if they told me they didn't like that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy