Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
@bezthespaniard, Eh oh! Watch this video on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/share/v/FtPK4tkhbAtYdbg8/?mibextid=KsPBc6

Snow report from La Tania, just go to 2:11
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m staying in Val Thorens (got here yesterday 08th and here until 13th).

Generally speaking the snow is excellent across the whole of Val Thorens. I was up at Peclet this morning and the snow quality was some of the best I have ski’d on.

Me and the mrs decided to ski over to courchevel this afternoon in what was a bit of a snow storm at around 2800m. The storm eased off as we approached Mottaret at lower altitude. The snow was even good at resort level in Meribel but a touch icy. The snow in Courchevel 1850 is incredible. The creux was the best I’ve seen it as was the Pralong and Verdons into town.

Visibility was fine this morning but gradually got worse over the course of the day. The quality of snow and the pistes is limiting the negative effects of limited visibility.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mixed conditions in Courchevel today - rain/snow limit went up quite high at some point through the night, with some wind too...
Folyeres down to La Tania inn good shape, 1650 quite wind-affected, and Suisses/Vizelle etc quite variable off piste with some good soft snow mixed with crustier patches...
Bozel has been skiable with a little bit of care on the last path and field down to Les Moulins...

...but... it is all going to go pear-shaped over the next 2/3 days with heavy rain to very high up so looks like everything low down is going to take a big hit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty pear shaped today, we had to cancel a group clinic as no one fancied going out in it Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Moorzee10 wrote:

Generally speaking the snow is excellent across the whole of Val Thorens. I was up at Peclet this morning and the snow quality was some of the best I have ski’d on.

Me and the mrs decided to ski over to courchevel this afternoon in what was a bit of a snow storm at around 2800m. The storm eased off as we approached Mottaret at lower altitude. The snow was even good at resort level in Meribel but a touch icy. The snow in Courchevel 1850 is incredible. The creux was the best I’ve seen it as was the Pralong and Verdons into town.

Visibility was fine this morning but gradually got worse over the course of the day. The quality of snow and the pistes is limiting the negative effects of limited visibility.

Im flying out saturday 16th, out of Meribel and Les Menuires which would you suggest? Meribel has the better hotel and cheaper if that sways things!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are lots of folks on this forum better to inform than I - I want to say that before I comment.

I have never stayed in either but stayed in Val Thorens and Courchevel multiple times. You have access to high altitude skiing from both areas so cost could be a good factor to use in your consideration.

I think the weather is due to be really good from the weekend onwards and there is enough snow coverage high up to give you access to great skiing. Enjoy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tjhodgson_145 wrote:
Moorzee10 wrote:

Im flying out saturday 16th, out of Meribel and Les Menuires which would you suggest? Meribel has the better hotel and cheaper if that sways things!

Which part of Meribel is the hotel you’re looking at? Position is key - you’ll need to check if the navette is fully operational next week otherwise you may be faced with a long walk to and from the Chaudanne (or the Morel chair). Personally, I would definitely go for Meribel as I am not fond of Les Menuires.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franga wrote:
Tjhodgson_145 wrote:
Moorzee10 wrote:

Which part of Meribel is the hotel you’re looking at? Position is key - you’ll need to check if the navette is fully operational next week otherwise you may be faced with a long walk to and from the Chaudanne (or the Morel chair). Personally, I would definitely go for Meribel as I am not fond of Les Menuires.

its Le Mottaret Hotel

Address is:
Chemin du Chardon | Méribel Mottaret
73550 Méribel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Tjhodgson_145, ^^ great location in Mottaret and excellent base for skiing the whole 3Vs.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Mottaret hotel is ski in and out. (30 second walk to the piste). Easy access to all of the 3 valleys from Mottaret.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
@Tjhodgson_145, ^^ great location in Mottaret and excellent base for skiing the whole 3Vs.

thank you!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That place is a perfect location, walk a few steps then it is an easy ski down to the main lift hub of Mottaret, and there is a lift up (Chalets) with a mid-station right next to the hotel.
No contest vs. Les Menuires, especially if it's cheaper! Usually, Les Menuires is the cheap one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now you’re talking … no contest. We’ve been spending every February HT at Hotel Mottaret for the last 4 years and are going back in 2024. I presume you’ve opted for the HB or all-inclusive option? The food is excellent, the guys at the bar very friendly and knowledgeable and the place oozes class and has a boutique feel to it. There’s a ski shop attached to it and a spa in the lower ground floor. It’s more or less a ski in-out hotel (other than the 30 or so steps to the snow). You’ll have a great time. Enjoy ABBA night … but make sure you’ve had a few G+Ts beforehand.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just left Val Thorens and just a note to say conditions this morning were some of the best I have ever ski’d. Folks heading out this weekend are in for a treat. Enjoy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Moorzee10 wrote:
Just left Val Thorens and just a note to say conditions this morning were some of the best I have ever ski’d. Folks heading out this weekend are in for a treat. Enjoy.

Thanks, Mooorzee10. We are flying out on Friday, for a week in VT Very Happy
ski holidays
Currently deciding between Courchevel 1650 or Tignes. Any insight into conditions currently in Courchevel would be helpful! Instincts on where best for the first week of January?!
snow report
@samendacott, either will be fine and conditions today will bear little resemblance to conditions in early January!
snow report
Having missed the great conditions last week, arrived in Mottaret on Saturday to find plenty of snow but steady rain. Sadly, a lot of snow was washed away over the next three days and the pistes were very slushy. Fortunately, the temperature dropped on Tuesday night and we awoke to 10cm of fresh powder. Skiing yesterday was excellent

, particularly in the morning before the cloud rolled in and visibility deteriorated. It snowed another 15cm last night and upper lifts are now delayed for avalanche blasting. Visibility is currently poor with low cloud but forecast to clear tomorrow.
snow conditions

Beautiful conditions today.
ski holidays
@samendacott, I arrived in 1650 on Wednesday evening, so dodged the rain that Mike S mentioned. Yesterday the piste conditions were great but most of the time you couldn’t see where you were going!

Today was bright sunshine, so headed over to Les Menuires for lunch and then back to 1650 for chalet cakes Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! . Is supposed to stay sunny for the next few days, so should be great. Going to get a bit warmer in the next couple of days, so will see what that does to the piste conditions. A few more lifts will open tomorrow, too.

Will be interesting to see how many more people are around as very quiet today

Could be a huge dump coming over Christmas which would be great for your 1st week in January trip Eh oh!
ski holidays
Hi all 3V skiers, I'm following your posts, the snow forecasts and webcams as avidly as I would normally, despite the fractured humerus (coming on nicely-should you be interested-though I still can't dress unaided). I can now see the imprint of the top of my ski pole just below my collarbone which might explain the mechanism-even though I never put my straps over my hands...if only i had let go when I fell.. Meanwhile the family all delighted I can still make my orange pastry mince pies-using the rolling pin is definitely good physio!

Still heading out to St M on Boxing day for a month. Hoping to find non skiing buddies for walks-though I realise I have to be so careful not to fall over- not too worried were I alone, but I have a lively Jack Russell to exercise who has moments where he exerts the pulling power of The Worlds Strongest Man in the truck pull contest (i.e. Geoff Capes.. cultural reference for those of a certain age). One functioning arm, one walking pole and one lively pooch who needs to be on the lead for some of the time is not a great combo.

I'm trying and managing not to be too downhearted about the 3 month hole that's been kicked out of this season by my accident as well as recognising the cautious approach I will have to take when I get back on skis. We had so many plans to get more adventurous this winter, including getting into touring more, plus finally skiing the off piste routes back to Beranger and our base in Villarabout off the top of the Olympic chair. In the summer we really got a sense of the route options on our walks.

There's a great article in this month's Fall Line magazine involving a 3 day lift assisted touring trip around the Belleville valley with Stephane (VT instructor) with whom @bergmeister, Mrs BM, I and Mr P spent an amazing day last January. Worth a read, especially for those who know the area..
latest report
Still nice, bright, sunny conditions but considerably more people on the slopes, in some areas, since Saturday. Maybe I'm just getting old but there seemed to be a lot of youngsters going too fast, too close with little signs of being in control. Temperatures have got slightly warmer, so piste conditions on the lower slopes are not as good as they have been, particularly later in the day, and there are icy patches in some high traffic areas. Most lifts are now running, with the noticeable exception of Coqs and Foret. Marmottes was also out of action today and there were some stoppages on Pas du Lac and Rodos. The Boulevard de la Loze was open for a change and Suisse had been pisted. Most readily accessible off-piste areas are now tracked out. The weather conditions are set to continue until Wednesday, when it is forecast to snow again.

ski holidays
Mike S wrote:
Most readily accessible off-piste areas are now tracked out.

We arrived yesterday in Val Thorens and have had 2 fantastic days off piste. It's not tracked out (even at 4pm tonight)... if you know where to look... wink

snow conditions
@Bergmeister My apologies. I should have qualified my comment, as it really only applied to Meribel and Courchevel. It looks as though you found some great conditions in VT.
ski holidays
dont want to open a new discussion, thats why i ask here...
I have a package ski + accommodation. Can i upgrade the ski pass when we arrive? from LesMenuires to 3V? and pay the extra cash of course.
Unfortunately i am waiting still for an answer from the operator
ski holidays
@turms2, you can upgrade it at the ticket office on a daily basis but it's not economical. The daily upgrade fee is (I think) €46/day but the full 6 days passes are €309 LM vs €375 3Vs. So 2 or more upgrades are more expensive than buying 6 days to begin with and you need your TO to buy it as a 6 day pass for you in the first place.

Trouble is, they probably already have the LM only pass and didn't pay €309 for it because they'll have bought in bulk upfront. So there's a fair chance they'll either try and avoid the subject completely or else charge you more than the public €66 difference in the 6 day price.
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, somewhat jealous of the 'not too shabby' conditions. Am checking forecasts, webcams and conditions like I've got 2 fully functioning arms..clearly in denial..
ski holidays
yes indeed
They bought the les Menuires cheaper als in Webshop.
The difference is usuall 1200 - 988 but they bought it for 856
But they insist that for 3V there is no discount
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, magnifique snowHead
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
@Bergmeister, somewhat jealous of the 'not too shabby' conditions. Am checking forecasts, webcams and conditions like I've got 2 fully functioning arms..clearly in denial..

Sad Sad

We hope you get well soon and can get some skiing before the end of the season.
latest report
I'm new to snowheads....so bear with me..
Any current reliable snow reports? We're due to ski 3 vallees from Jan 9th. Staying in Brides les bains, driving from Lyon. Looks like a lot of rain at the moment.
snow report
@Screensurfer, Beautiful weather for the past three days and almost spring like skiing conditions. It was +9C at 1500m today. On piste conditions, although not as good as earlier in the week, are still very good, particularly at altitude. Lower down some pistes are getting rather hard and icy. It is forecast to get cooler over the next few days with more snow forecast on Thursday night and Friday, before getting warmer again on Sunday. Things could change a lot before the 9th January but there is a good base. VT today.

snow report
@Screensurfer, welcome to SH's.

However, you have fallen into a rookie trap wink Embarassed Laughing

The weather is like a lady, many beautiful facets but prone to changing her feelings on a whim Laughing Laughing

As@Mike S, says, it's a been a good start and there is a good base. But it's way too early to predict what things will be like Jan 9th. Can be bleak at that time of the year that's for sure.
snow conditions
Hey snowheads. Merci beaucoup for the feedback. Just can't wait. First time skiing in France.
latest report
@Screensurfer, I'm sure you will love it.

Bride is a funny old place to stay but cheap.

Where have you been before?
snow report
Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Andorra, Poland, New Zealand, Vermont, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, New York, ...and Norway ( in July )
ski holidays
@Screensurfer, bloody hell Shocked
ski holidays
@Mike S, we’ve been skiing around Courchevel and Meribel since Sunday, still areas of untracked snow that I’d happily ski without any hiking, agree some areas are nicely skier compressed Toofy Grin but still fun to be had (if I wasn’t on a piste performance course!)
snow report
kitenski wrote:
(if I wasn’t on a piste performance course!)

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Screensurfer,
Conditions are generally great, everwhere in the 3Vs. We skied down to Meribel Village (1400m) yesterday afternoon on a deserted blue piste (Lapin) and it was fantastic. Lovely, grippy hardpack at 3pm, with the run to ourselves! Very Happy

We finished the day with some glorious sunset skiing.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy