Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
@stevew, we're in Les arc 1950 from 30th Dec to 8th Jan so hopefully not too bad after New year's! Go for the upgraded pass for priority lift lanes.

On that note we booked with sunweb with ski pass included. Does anyone know if you can upgrade the 8 day pass when we pick it up at ski office to a season pass as we may be back for 2 or 3 weeks later in season and season pass is only double a week's pass?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@noodlehat, now booked for Ski Olympic's La Foret chalet hotel in Vallandry. Were in Les Arcs in March so was already intending getting the pass that has the priority lanes / Le Plagne bits.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry if this is slightly off topic. We're away NY week staying in Arc 1800 so trying to book a few restaurants in advance just in case it's busy. We have someone in our group on their second week skiing - can just about manage easy blues. Apart from the Folie Douce are there any other mountain restaurants that would be fairly accessible? Would need to be an easy ski to and from them. Chalet Grillette has been mentioned as an option?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ps if we decided to eat at the snow front in Arc 1800 where would people recommend?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1950 and 2000 are really accessible via easy blues there and back.

There's Le Savoy in 2000, which is gorgeous. I've only stopped for a midmorning coffee, but we looked at the menu, and it looked great.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pmercer wrote:
Sorry if this is slightly off topic. We're away NY week staying in Arc 1800 so trying to book a few restaurants in advance just in case it's busy. We have someone in our group on their second week skiing - can just about manage easy blues. Apart from the Folie Douce are there any other mountain restaurants that would be fairly accessible? Would need to be an easy ski to and from them. Chalet Grillette has been mentioned as an option?

Very good point. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Vallandry to reserve for the chalet staffs night off?2
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pmercer, There are many restaurants on the mountain accessable to easy blues (they have to maximise their customer base afterall). In fact I would say that all are with the exception of the Solliet, which has a red piste above it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevew wrote:
@rob@rar, @johnE, thanks for the feedback, I was thinking like @johnE, that schools would have gone back, don't know about French schools but given the price and saving a days hols I think I will go for it.

French school are going back on 8 january like a lot of european countries
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thierryd, yes, it appears to have changed for this year. Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
@thierryd, yes, it appears to have changed for this year. Sad

Yep, and this will be similiar next season: France back to school will be on 6 january
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stevew, There's a few, but depends what you're after, couple of pizza places and one more Savoie type. Would suggest on Sunday you walk around and look at them all and book the one which most appeals
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have to confess that I looked the dates up on the internet and saw Jan 2nd 2024 but then when I went back it read 7/1/2024. Off to the opticians this afternoon as I mistook a 7 for a 2. Sorry Rob@Rar
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
Boris wrote:
Four weeks out and getting nervous - very free lower down Confused
The forecast for this week looks decent: a bit colder than it has been (I'd guess cannons will be running full bore) and reasonable snowfall forecast around Monday/Tuesday and again on Thursday/Friday. I'm pretty sure the picture will look a lot different this time next weekend Very Happy

Edit: Just checked and some of the cannons are running today, at least as far down as Arc 1800. Looks like more than a test or a pipe-clearing run as mounds of snow seem to be building up.

Yep - looking on the Vanoise Express cam, which looks over to Vallandry, they've obviously had canons flat out on all the runs back to resort as you can see them snaking down to village
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Road announcement:

TL:DR snow expected tonight and tomorrow. Seasonal road closing starts now. Woohoo!

[Info route Les Arcs 27/11 7h30]
Eh oh! Test of the avalanche triggering device. Access road to Les Arcs 1950/2000 closed this Tuesday 28/11 at 6h00 at the Arc 1600 exit. Reopening expected around 7h00.
Eh oh! Following the snowy episode expected in the evening and the next night, closure to all vehicles and for the entire winter season:
- Route des Espagnols between Arc 1800 and Peisey/Vallandry.
- Route de Courbaton, from the Montrigon bend (old road to Les Arcs),
- Arc 2000 snow front,
- Arc 1800 snow front,
- Route des Espagnols between Chantel and Charmettoger (Golf) Arc 1800.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dh900, Evo 2 (aka Spirit 950) are now in both 2000 and 1950 - a reciprocal arrangement with ESF allowing both schools in both villages (oh the politics...).
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
… Seasonal road closing starts now. Woohoo!
- Route des Espagnols between Chantel and Charmettoger (Golf) Arc 1800.
Woohoo indeed, that’s what I ski on to get back to my place. Another sign that winter is nearly upon us.
ski holidays
Heavy snow forecast for the rest of the week
snow conditions
Wooohooo
latest report
johnE wrote:
Heavy snow forecast for the rest of the week
Rain looking possible on Thursday to maybe 2000m but quickly followed by a cool down, then more snow Friday/Saturday. Things will look a lot different at the end of the week compared to the start of the week. Will be buying my season pass in a few days, already starting packing for the first trip of the winter Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Will be buying my season pass in a few days, already starting packing for the first trip of the winter Very Happy

Yes and no.

Season passes for family to be bought in a few days, but probably will not think about packing until the day before we set off.
latest report
Boris wrote:
@stevew, There's a few, but depends what you're after, couple of pizza places and one more Savoie type. Would suggest on Sunday you walk around and look at them all and book the one which most appeals

Thanks sounds a plan!
snow report
definitely looking a touch more wintery on the cameras this morning!
Very Happy
ski holidays
pmercer wrote:

Les Enfants Terrible is accesible by blues. Go up transarc to mid station, ski across to Derby lift. Go up Derby lift. Ski down "Renard" across towards Peisey/Vallandry. Les Enfants Terribles is next to the top of Le Foret Pichouns. Can ski back on easy blues too. Great place.

Also go all the way up Transarc to Col De La Chal. There's a restaurant at the top with great views. Or ski down into Arc2000 bowl around the Vallee de L'Arc 3 blue. Down towards bottom of Arcabulle 48 lift there is a restaurant called "The Bulle" and its great and does amazing pizza. Can then get Arcabulle back up to Col De La Chall and then transarc back to midstation and ski blues home.
snow conditions
@wills_h, indeed it is
snow conditions
I like the camera on the bottom of the Vagere ski lift as it shows snowfront in 1800. The cameras at the tops tend to have days with poor vis or snow on the lens.

The camera on Vanoise Express shows the snowline coming down the mountain which is reassuring at this time of year. At the mo you cant see as its covered in snow

At this time of the year I tend to have a look at the webcams more than I should, and always get a feeling of 'must get into the car and drive to Arc' when I see people walking around the village

We leave the UK on 6th Dec and, all being well, should be in the village 14th Dec ish ready to sort out the shopping and the cave ready for the opening day
Busy eating christmas cake
snow report
Driving over with the family on the 17th, flying back here on the 23rd and then back to slopes on the 26th until 4th January.

Starting to get a little excited now.....
ski holidays
The recent snowfall appears to have been quite good and from the Mont Blanc camera it looks as if it snowed all the way down to Bourg st Maurice. There are clear signs that this fall is expected to stay as, once again from the Mont Blanc camera they are starting piste bashing. The Grizzly camera even shows ski tracks.
snow report
The camera pointing at Vallandry from Vanoise Express is also pleasing as snow line right down
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There were 7 of us watching the Vagere camera this morning. Who else was it then?

Shame I can't work out how to add photos, I took a particularly beautiful screenshot of Grizzly the other night. The sky is so clear, you can see the stars.
snow report
@Owlette, Me and my son would have been 2 of them!

3 weeks tomorrow will be setting off
snow conditions
@Boris, 12 days for us snowHead
latest report
Am told by my "spy on the ground" it was raining in 1950 yesterday. But looks like it's snowing this morning. Yeh!
Travelling by the 'new' Eurostar Saturday week - first one they're running, here's hoping there's no teething issues at Lille!
ski holidays
Certainly snowing on the camera n 1950 now!
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
Am told by my "spy on the ground" it was raining in 1950 yesterday. But looks like it's snowing this morning. Yeh!
Travelling by the 'new' Eurostar Saturday week - first one they're running, here's hoping there's no teething issues at Lille!

Let's hope that the reparations from the November flooding are completed at Notre-Dame-de-Briançon (entrance to the Maurienne) - the line is due to reopen 15th December.
snow conditions
Harve wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:

Let's hope that the reparations from the November flooding are completed at Notre-Dame-de-Briançon (entrance to the Tarentaise) - the line is due to reopen 15th December.
ski holidays
I'm headed to 1800 with my wife on January 20th. I'm just pricing up ski rental with Intersport and wondering which "pack" to go with. We've done a fair bit of "fridge skiing" so far, as well as Zermatt earlier this year. We're told we're intermediate at this point, but, having only done one ski holiday and not quite got into the intricacies of ski equipment yet, I don't quite understand what I gain or lose with the different packs:

Blue pack: "I ski on green and blue runs with easy-to-handle, forgiving equipment that makes it easier to progress".
Red pack: "I ski on green to red runs with equipment that gives me a feeling of stability and ease in turns".

I'm thinking Red, but just wondering if somebody can shed some more insight.
latest report
snowing in 2000 and a person walking up the hill with what looked like a snowboard in a bag. Sadly it looks like its rained at Vagere and now its looking like sleet. Better than more rain. Couple of people walking about

Ferry on 6th. Arrive in Arc 14th. Sorting out stuff I carry in the car - foldable shovel, triangle, vests, torch etc

Keep looking at pile of stuff that is also going in the car - sons snowboard, other sons new boots, couple of framed posters for the flat, new shower head and rail to save me 50 euro at Weldomm in Bourg, what my wife call 'shopping essentials' like proper gravy makings etc plus some things that are being dropped off on route like a rowing machine for me

Its looking like some things will be staying here
snow conditions
@inthecold, they are broadbrush categories. You can be an aggressive beginner/intermediate and/or quite stocky/powerful and therefore require something more stable/stiff. Equally you could be very light and or easy going sort of skiing or prefers an easy-to-handle ski. I'd be tending towards the red pack. But the other thing is that if after a couple of days you aren't finding them great you can go and try something else. And usually the people in the shop would be helpful if you tell them what you are capable of and what sort of skier you - and obviously in the flesh they can see your stature.
ski holidays
Quote:

plus some things that are being dropped off on route like a rowing machine for me

Well that's one way to get across the channel. Anyway see you in Les Arcs. It now looks as if we'll be starting skiing on the 20th. Now to the web site to pay in excess of 2000€ for lift passes and off to Halfords for some -30 screenwash (I think that constitutes all that is needed for the car)

As for posters we had a Samivel poster in our apartment. My wife thought it would be nice to have a similar one at home. We then discovered they were fetching in excess of £1000. The most valuable thing in the apartment. It is now at home.

@inthecold, sorry not to be much use on advice as to skis. My neice who skis fairly well with about 10 weeks of skiing under her belt still hires the lower level package. With about 40 years of skiing under my belt of in excess of 20 days a year (and regular dry slopee coaching) my son still considers me an intermediate. It's a very broad term.
snow report
@inthecold, it is one of those things that has so many variables, not just how much skiing you've done. Size, fitness, conditions, approach to skiing: as per @Layne, you won't know til you try and you can always change...

Now for those out a week before the season really starts :

The First Ascent of Les Arcs
Saturday, December 9, 2023 Eh oh!

La Première montée des Arcs marks the start of the new winter season!

Eh oh! THE PROGRAM
Eh oh! 9h: Rendezvous around a complimentary hot drink at "Pré Saint Esprit" in Arc 2000 + registration.
Eh oh! 10am: Start of the climb. Participants must arrive at least 10 minutes before the start time to finalize registration.
Eh oh! From 11:30am: After the effort, the comfort! Lunch will be served on your return.

Eh oh! THE COURSE
Depart from Le Pré Saint Esprit and climb to the Col de la Chal.
Approximately 4.5km and 645 meters of positive ascent. Descent by the same route.

SOLIDARITY EVENT! Eh oh!
This year La Première Montée is joining forces with the Telethon!
Registration for participants will be a minimum of 5€ (for those over 1Cool and will take place on site only.
All proceeds will be donated to the AFM Téléthon.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Now for a softie like me, that's a tough old trek sans lifts: I've only done it in the summer, without boot backing all the gear, and was very glad of that! I'm sure the ski-tourers around here will label me a wuss (guilty as charged!) and will be straight on it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy