Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@stefoy4me, As. Mark says it’s in Brev. The pistes and lifts won’t open until the mid teens of December down there. If , that’s the case you will be relying on the Tour Op to move you up and down as there are no free buses to Brev. Stay high!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thank you,
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stefoy4me, This might not be too helpful as I've no idea if either hotel takes bookings of less than a week. But have a look at the Langley 2100, or Levanna. If you want to maximise your ski time they're both just minutes from the lifts. (Levanna is right on the snow-front}.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any recommendations for smart on hill and in town restaurants? It’s for my American big boss so money no object Cool

I will of course tell him that the Folie Douce is an important historical monument that he has to visit
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno wrote:
Any recommendations for smart on hill and in town restaurants? It’s for my American big boss so money no object Cool

I will of course tell him that the Folie Douce is an important historical monument that he has to visit

Just make sure he knows about getting ba k to Tignes from there, otherwise he may not be your boss for much longer. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arno, Eidelweiss above Le Fornet. (If you get a rec for Atelier D’Edmond in Fornet I think his lease was not renewed).

Panoramic at the top of the Tignes Funi, the resto not the cafe.

The Refuge du Solaise (the hotel at the top of the old cable car station).

In Tignes village for the evening

Queue de Cochon in Lavachet
Mendikoa in Lavachet
In Lac, a bit tricky cos the really good place, Kaya, has gone and is being replaced by an up market Italian for this season.
Laks in Val Claret was very good last year but again he was having lease issues.
Table Jeanne in the Erin des Neiges building in Val Claret.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kenzie, he’ll be retired by the end of the trip so I think I’m safe Laughing

Should have been clearer, he’ll be staying in Val d’Isere so any suggestions there for the evening?

Thanks for the on hill suggestions so far
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
@Kenzie, he’ll be retired by the end of the trip so I think I’m safe Laughing

Should have been clearer, he’ll be staying in Val d’Isere so any suggestions there for the evening?

Thanks for the on hill suggestions so far

No problem getting back from the Folie then.
Try asking on the Val D'Isere thread for evening spots.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There must have been a lot of folk touring today. The resort has just put a warning out regarding piste bashers with winches in the Grande Motte sector. There was also a warning about the area being unsecured against avalanches.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kenzie, doh, saw VDI in the thread title and thought this was it Madeye-Smiley will try the other one
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This was really cool to see - hoping the next few weeks gets even better:
http://youtube.com/v/EMdCkXz6HaM
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just seen on Tignes Seasonnaires 2024 Facebook group:-

"BREAKING NEWS
PRE-OPENING 18 NOVEMBER
-----------

In view of the good weather conditions and abundant natural snow cover at the beginning of November, Tignes has decided to open part of its ski area as a preview from Saturday 18 November. This is an opportunity for the most impatient skiers to take to the slopes for the first time. With over a metre of snow already on the Grande Motte glacier and
1300 metres of vertical drop (from the top to Val Claret), you'll be able to ski right into the heart of the resort.
Grande Motte sales point
Open every day: 9am - 3.15pm
Ski pass prices
Ski: 38€ / day
Cross-country: €20 / day
Pedestrian: €15 return & €25 day pass
Season passes
More good news: for those who have a season pass, it will be valid from 18 November 2023.
Opening hours (for this first week)
Funicular: 9.15am - 3pm / last run 4pm
Cable car: 9.30am - 3.30pm
TSD Vanoise: 9.45am - 3pm
TSD Bollin (if there is enough snow): 9.00am - 4.30pm"
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tignes used to be open 365 days a year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Tignes used to be open 365 days a year.

Tignes is still open 365 days a year, just like Paris Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kenzie,
Thanks.
A new plan is now formulating for the start of the season.
Last year I think it may have been you that posted about a discounted season ski pass for students/under 25’s.
If you hear that Tignes are offering this again can you please let me know.
latest report
Hello,
Apparently ski passes will be available on the site at some stage today. We are coming in Feb, but thinking about buying ski passes now if there are any good discounts or offers. Are there typically any discounts or early birds above and beyond the family pack discount? I will be buying for 2 adults and 2 kids. The 3rd child will be on the free under 8s ski pass...
Understand if they don;t do them, as they seem to give a decent discount on the family pass and the free under 8, but just checking...
Thanks !
snow conditions
@mullins, The only early bird discount I have seen is on season passes and that had died a death. So, in a nutshell the price you pay now will be the price you pay in Feb. So one family tribe pass and a freebie for junior.
Tour Ops often have lift pass deals for low season holidays or early bookings, never seen them for Feb!
snow report
@chocksaway yeah, i figured. Prefer to ask and get confirmation, than book and end up kicking myself if there was 10% Discount available...
snow report
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS - PRE-OPENING 18 NOVEMBER
Great news re the Tignes snow Very Happy but does this modern day pre-booking, pre-this, pre-that, pre-everything(!) wind anybody else up? And now pre-opening? Surely the ski area is just... 'opening?' rolling eyes

Sorry...I'm still recovering from an airport sign I saw last week Mad

latest report
Quote:

wind anybody else up?

Nope, just you I expect wink Although I must admit that a preview of piste conditions might prepare me to preach that I prefer preowned skis to preserve my pretty planks Toofy Grin
latest report
Said goodbye to son #2 this morning who is driving out to Val for his 2nd season. Going to spend 2 weeks helping his previous employer set up there chalets for the season and then to work in a ski hire shop. We were worried about him quitting his career as a civil engineer, but it has been amazing for him; a life changing experience. He is a different man, and has made some incredible friendships'.
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, Good job he wasn’t arriving this morning, it’s traffic chaos on the road below the Dam thanks to all the new snow!
Looks like lots of tradies vans on summer tyres.

There might be one or two unfinished projects given the weather!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, conditions look amazing
ski holidays
https://www.facebook.com/reel/3211790435791578
snow conditions
This last week turned out to be a bit better, snow wise, than expected with snow further down the valley than anticipated. It was not such good news for all those tradies trying to finish off the 'summer' work, looked downright miserable. And being stuck in a white van man traffic jam near Brev yesterday morning will have done nothing to improve morale!

For next week, its going to be unsettled as our part of the Alps are under the jetstream as forecast, so lots of precipitation and wind. Most models show this with reasonable certainty but there is a high pressure area off the south-west of the Iberian peninsula which could push the weather north.

But, and it's a big but, is the increase in temperatures early next week and how much damage the potential rain will do to the snow pack below 2400m or so. As ever, a couple of hundred meters difference makes all the difference with the snow line.

Sunday will be snowy (20-25cm potentially) and windy on high (avalanche risk up!), it will be sleety down in Brev. Monday will be much warmer, may be 5 or 6 degs more. It will still be windy and by breakfast time it will be raining in Val and by lunchtime in Le Lac, it may turn back to snow in Lac after dark. But there could be a couple of cm of rain lower down. Tuesday, the wind will be howling and it will be a tad warmer again, so the rain snow level could be as high as 2500m, as its heavy rain this is going to make a mess of the lower resorts, from half way up Double M there's going to be lots of snow, but the avalanche risk will be up up and away. Currently it is going to cool down a bit on Wednesday, so 10 cm or more snow, to Lac and maybe down to the Dam. Thursday and beyond is low confidence, currently cooler so sleet and snow showers in Brev but snow on high.

So how much damage will this rain do? Well thats the $64 million question. As the snow depths in Lac look reasonable it will probably absorb a lot of it - handy old boiler plate. We may well see Brev go green again and a sliding scale of unpleasantness between the two. Keep watching the webcams, but next Sat could be really good on the glacier.

Welcome to mid November!
snow report
Less than a week to go to pre-opening, or opening, or whatever it's called... Has anyone managed to buy a lift pass on the https://www.skipass-tignes.com/en/ site? I thought I'd read that sales would open 1st Nov. However a big green banner still says "Sales opening very soon!".

After much scrolling and clicking "Season", adding age and searching after already finding (it's a master class in non-intuitive design) I can eventually add the pass to the cart, but can't get any further. And no option to add Carte Neige that I can see either.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 12-11-23 21:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@bobski62, We have our season passes. I don’t think there were any issues Mrs SL (a computer wizz and a French speaker) sorted them. I’ll check with her and report back.
snow conditions
Thanks @Ski lots, would be good to hear what she says. I've given the French version a shot but same outcome. The "Valider mon Panier" button in the panier can't be clicked. But at least the green banner gets updated to "Un peu de patience, ouverture des ventes très bientôt !"

Had a look at what the neighbours are up to, and their site seems to use the same software - except that you can valider your panier in Val d'Isere and they don't have any green banners. So if push comes to shove, I'll buy the pass there, but it would be good to see if others are also finding the Tignes site problematic. I suspect they have changed the config so that pre-opening passes are only available just before the days in question (in case conditions change) and in the process mucked up the config for everything else. It would be consistent with early-birds not having issues.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure we can be of much help. Mrs SL reports the site as being clunky. She had to get a voucher code from the owners’ site but apart from that everything went through ok.

Maybe the falling snow is causing a surfeit of activity.

The oracle says just email the lift pass office who are very helpful - too late today for a response obviously.
latest report
I'm having the same issue as @bobski62
No major rush however as not coming until Feb... I was going to get it out of the way early...
snow conditions
Same issue as @bobski62
Said opening 9 nov but it didn’t!!
Will try again this week
snow report
response from lift company

Merci pour votre courriel ainsi que de votre intérêt pour Tignes.

Notre site de vente en ligne devrait ouvrir au plus tard demain, le 14 novembre.

L’ouverture anticipée du glacier de la Grande-Motte ainsi que la refonte totale de notre site ne nous ont pas permis de l’ouvrir à la date prévue.

Nous restons à votre disposition pour toutes informations complémentaires.

Par avance, nous vous souhaitons un excellent séjour à venir et surtout bon ski.
ski holidays
I was about to drop them an email too, so thanks @snowornever for following up. I'll just sit on my hands for a day or so then...
ski holidays
@bobski62

tried this afternoon and site is now working and was able to order my pass, 1 more thing ticked off list getting ready for january!
ski holidays
how busy is it likely to be on Sunday the 17th driving up to resort ??

due to logistics this end not able to get across to France until 3.30pm on the Saturday....so trying to decipher where to overnight, before driving up on the Sunday.......bearing in mind we want ski on the Sunday as only a 4 day break.

Thinking of trying to get to Chambery, or maybe a bit further back just past Lyon so not such a late arrival

Thoughts ?
snow conditions
stefoy4me wrote:
how busy is it likely to be on Sunday the 17th driving up to resort ??

due to logistics this end not able to get across to France until 3.30pm on the Saturday....so trying to decipher where to overnight, before driving up on the Sunday.......bearing in mind we want ski on the Sunday as only a 4 day break.

Thinking of trying to get to Chambery, or maybe a bit further back just past Lyon so not such a late arrival

Thoughts ?

17th of which month?
latest report
@stefoy4me, Polishes crystal ball Very Happy
It will be quiet, Sundays in Feb are never really busy and Christmas week doesn’t start till the following Saturday.

Lyon or Chambery, quick check of the weather and just over 2 hours to Paradise - perfect.

La Cle de Champs in Montmélian is yards off the autoroute just past Chambery if it fits your budget.
snow report
Dec
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
It will be quiet, Sundays in Feb are never really busy and Christmas week doesn’t start till the following Saturday.

Lyon or Chambery, quick check of the weather and just over 2 hours to Paradise - perfect.

La Cle de Champs in Montmélian is yards off the autoroute just past Chambery if it fits your budget.

sorry, yes would have been helpful to have told you the month...LOL

I had earmarked Best Western at Motte Servolex...which is same price and bang on motorway

In Tignes we are staying at Village Montana in Le Lac........any good apres and resto recs for 2 young at heart Dads and 2 apparently 2 cool for school yuts(15 looking 18 & 20)!!!!! LOL

thank you
snow report
stefoy4me wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

sorry, yes would have been helpful to have told you the month...LOL

I had earmarked Best Western at Motte Servolex...which is same price and bang on motorway

In Tignes we are staying at Village Montana in Le Lac........any good apres and resto recs for 2 young at heart Dads and 2 apparently 2 cool for school yuts(15 looking 18 & 20)!!!!! LOL

thank you

Loop bar in Le Lac is popular, and decent time and length apres happy (multi)hour.

Likewise in Le Lavachet, Brasero. And also opposite Brasero is La Queue de Cochon bit it's slightly fancier in there. Great food in there also if you want a nice meal one evening.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy