Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
Whats the Scottish outlook please nozawaonsen, ???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow shower at Glencoe today at about 2.45 PM ...

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moffatross, looking good!!! You up at Cairngorm 9th, 10th, 11th Feb for a ski at all?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking forward to getting out there this week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm, 18z operational has moved that low pressure even further west... Last Thursday it looked like it would hit Austria, then yesterday Switzerland, this morning France and this evening Essex... Not too sure about that...

Scotland looks like it might get a few snow showers Monday and Tuesday, though I'm not too sure what the temperatures will be like...

Let's wait to see where it all sits in the ensembles...

Puzzled

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 23-01-11 0:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FI certainly earns it's name this evening...

Anyway back to this week and this evening, if anything, I have less confidence than I had this time yesterday... Particularly in the detail which is sloshing round a lot...

So I will fall back on a suspicion that the general pattern for the week will be cold (very cold at times in the east) with a lot of sunshine around.

Light snow could reach into Austria on Monday and overnight into Tuesday, starting east and moving west... (probably stronger in eastern Austria than the west).

There remains a possibility that it could snow on Wednesday across the Alps though stronger in the western Alps than the east. Though I am slightly less convinced now than I was earlier today (and I was not completely convinced then...).

At the even more tenuous end of things there are some suggestions of snow showers around next weekend.

So a basic pattern of cold and clear, but with various snowier options possibly in the wings.

Here are some ensembles for:

Alpe D'Huez and Les Deux Alpes.

The Arlberg

Now to FI which I mention only really because it turns up a rather good option, not because I have any confidence at this stage it will come true. But for what it's worth it would see cold air from the Arctic roll down across the Alps in the first week of February, bringing very cold temperatures and snow...

02 Feb +264

06 Feb +348

Could it happen.? Yes. Will it like that? Almost certainly not. But not bad to dream about...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking really promising for Scotland on the 9th February, not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, is that a question or a statement?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The latest run for Cairngorm (or nearest to it):

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bulgaria should soon be offering some of the freshest and deepest in Euroland ...

Bansko wigglies ... http://91.121.84.31/modeles/gens/graphe_ens3.php?x=&ext=1&y=&run=0&lat=41.8&lon=23.5&runpara=0
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still considerable uncertainty over detail against the general pattern of a cold and sunny week. With high pressure dominating.

Incursions into that high pressure are likely, but again the detail is unclear.

Two main routes for the Alps as far as I can see:

- Early in the week (Monday and Tuesday) light snow into Austria. Less strong in the far west (eg Arlberg). The European models (ECM, GME/DWD) remain more bullish on this than GFS.

- Midweek potentially a pretty reasonable amount of snow in France, Switzerland and the western end of Italy (Aosta Valley, Montgenevre etc). Light snow in Austria. The 06z GFS control run in particular pushed for this (and the operational put in a pretty good show too, see the ensembles for LDA and AdH a few posts above - let's see what it looks like this evening).

Incidentally this morning's runs for snow in the Pyrenees at the end of the week looked very good at 00z, rather calmed at 06z, worth keeping an eye on...

GFS FI sees high pressure continuing to dominate into the first week of February, but with increasing sorties from the north as low pressure tries to come over the top (the best FI of late remaining the rather fantastic and rather unlikely one from last night... Very Happy)

So some beautiful cold crisp conditions about... but some patience required for fresh snow... wink

[moffatross that will doubtless cheer Mr Bastardi...]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I live in hope nozawaonsen, at least you are giving us a little hope for the valais.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here is a good illustration of how different models are producing different tracks for the low pressure midweek which is going on to produce different forecasts for snow.

Here is the German GME/DWD 12z model for Wednesday morning, bringing low pressure into Austria.

And here is the American GFS 6z model for Wednesday morning, bringing low pressure into Northern France.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cold (getting even colder by next weekend). Lovely, bright, sunny and clear conditions for much of the Alps, especially in the west (with the probable exception of Wednesday). Largely dry, though see below. High pressure dominating the week.

And next week again looks likely to be heavily dominated by high pressure at this stage...

12z GFS operational runs the low pressure even further wide of the mark this afternoon (snowy in South East England mid week?). Forecasts that rely on the GFS operational run (and there are a few) will be likely to show it pretty much snowless in much of the Alps all week. That is not the whole story though as a glance at the 12z ensembles will show, with the GFS operational being about the least keen and the majority of other runs going for snowier options.

On top of that there is the ongoing discrepancy between GFS and the European models over where the low pressure will arrive on Wednesday...

So the potential for midweek snow in the Alps remains, but where and how strong is not any clearer...

In the near term there looks like being light snow into Austria tomorrow and into Tuesday. The area around Salzkammergut round to Zell am See looks like it could do quite well...

A good run for the Pyrenees though which look like they could see quite a bit of snow at the end of the week into the weekend (though again this is chopping and changing...).

[edit: worth adding that a number of runs over the last few days have been playing with bringing in some low pressure around the Mediterranean next weekend. Not really strong yet, but worth keeping an eye on as it could produce snow next weekend. The 12z control then goes in to slide low pressure down through Austria producing quite a snowy run... Not a scenario with strong support, but... wink

GFS 12z control run]
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whilst further west looks pretty sunny tomorrow, Austria looks like it could get snow...

Looking at WRF it look like Upper Austria could be seeing light snow starting possibly around midnight tonight. Continuing through much of the day and spreading south through Salzburg, touching Styria, and west towards Tyrol and eventually brushing the Arlberg.

I rather suspect some places could so quite well out of this in a band round from Salzkammergut (Krippenstein could do well...) moving round to about Kitzbuhel.

Fingers crossed... wink
latest report
Woo-hoo! More good news for Zell am See. nozawaonsen, your post confirms the Bergfex weather report and you're STILL my favourite person on the internet x
latest report
Picadilly, well we will know which if any of the forecasts for tomorrow are right soon enough...

GFS 18z (including the operational run...) just swung back strongly in favor of snow midweek in France and Switzerland (and elsewhere in the Alps too, but it would be stronger in the western Alps). It would be good if it could start building on that now.

Here are the Chamonix ensembles (showing 12z for another 30 mins)

Next week looks like continuing this week's pattern. High pressure fortress over much of Europe, it's borders shift back and forth a little and as they does low pressure looks to breach it's walls, and though it may have brief periods of success the high pressure looks like holding strong for now...
snow conditions
Looks like the snow falling in Austria this morning (particularly round Salzburg and eastern Tyrol) is going to continue falling for much of the day and into the early hours of tomorrow...

The continuing see saw over the path of Wednesday's low suggests that it isn't settled yet, but it still holds plenty of potential for Switzerland and France...

And the Mediterranean low pressure is still showing up at the weekend, offering a chance of further snow in the southern Alps.

Out in FI just some vague suggestions that the high pressure's hold might start to weaken towards the end of next week. We'll see.

wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 24-01-11 9:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Is it too early to tell wether there will be snow in france next week. If i have to be more precise the 3v's? Some sites are saying the forecast is showing snow for the 26th, is this likley and how much could fall. what will the temps be?

Thanks Very Happy
snow report
Here's a look at Wednesday's snow moving down through France just reaching Haute Savoie at about 10am on Wednesday morning. Should have a firmer idea of the trajectory tomorrow morning...

Crispyapplepie, see above. The key is how it comes in. It would be better to be coming in slightly more to the east to deliver a direct hit. There's still time for that to be corrected though. It looks like being cold. The Three Valley's could get a second bite come Saturday depending on how the potential low pressure system plays out in the Mediterranean...
snow conditions
Another question from me... snow-forecast is showing "light snow" and/or "snow showers" for the next 48 hours BUT is not showing any accumulation... does this sounds a bit weird?

nozawaonsen, any chance of a top up for Scotland? snowHead
latest report
MoodyFFS, Scotland may get a little over night and tomorrow.

I suppose it depends a little on where you mean in regards to snow forecast? I'm not too sure how well GFS is handling the current weather pattern in the Alps (I think the European models, ECM and GME, were stronger on today's snowfall in the Austrian Alps, though GFS started flagging the potential a long way in advance). GFS is having a problem with consistency over the operational run even in short term with regards to midweek. And that is going to have an impact on snow-forecast which seems to use the operational run as it's start point (which given it is the most heavily weighted run is sensible enough). That said the midweek snow is very dependent on the track of the low pressure coming down from the north... And that is clearly drifting back and forth quite a bit...

Any help?
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, yes excellent as always... Smile

Just seemed odd that you could have consistent snow (albeit light) for 48 hours, yet not actually accumulate any snow. Here is the page I was referring to OOI - http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cairngorm/6day/mid
snow report
Thanks so much, your knowledge here is unreal.... Like you say you should have a better idea tomorrow, please can you post again for this area and advise what the weather is saying?
snow report
MoodyFFS, that's not an uncommon forecast, and, to be fair, not an uncommon scenario in the mountains.

You go up the hill, you can't see a fecking thing. There are tiny snowflakes in the air. But it makes feck-all difference on the ground.
ski holidays
que sera, sera
snow conditions
jeremyd, you are Doris Day and I claim my 5cm
latest report
Lets face it.

Things are a bit poo at the moment everywhere.

Any hope for a decent snowfall in the Southern French Alps in the next three weeks?

I,m pretty good at reading the charts and wigglies but nothing much is giving me hope Evil or Very Mad

Ive already had a few days of hard and fast pistes in Austria in early January and was rather hoping to get the fatboys out for the next trip. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jeremyd, welcome to Snowheads snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
The extent of snow into the French and Swiss Alps on Wednesday still hangs in the balance. Low pressure will come down from the north, but at present it still looks like there is a real risk it may come down through France to the west of the Alps...

In the meantime there will at least be sunshine, cold temperatures and cold beer to be had...

In Austria the snow looks set to continue overnight in much of Tyrol and Salzburg. Zwanzig zentimeters today... Apparently... wink

Later in the week there are some potential options for the southern Alps as low pressure swings through the Mediterranean...
latest report
hedley "everywhere..

To be fair it has been snowing most of the day in much of Austria? Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
I know but it's been a bit thin 'off piste' to say the least.

I know everywhere is perfectly skiable but my focus is the PSV area around briancon fir the next 2.6 weeks. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Any idea if Flaine can expect anything soon?
We are going out on the 5th and have fingers crossed that it has some more before then.
snow conditions
I guess its also looking pear shaped for the 3 valleys next week.....
Crying or Very sad

What is the link for the French map pasted above?
latest report
Hi, nice to be noticed!
LDM you could check the Les Carroz thread - skiers seem content there as there aren't many people on the slopes, which always helps. We're there next Monday.
Bon chance!
snow report
Some day we will see the back of the current high pressure system. But not for a while yet...

Looks like the low pressure passing through France tomorrow may deliver a glancing blow to the Alps, but by and large it is too far to the north and west. Possibility of some pretty light snow in northern French Alps and Western Switzerland. But it doesn't look like much.

The system generally moves out west from here:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=33&mode=1

You can't rule out a last minute change in course, but I would not count on it...

A little more light snow likely in Austria during the rest of the day, again mostly round the Tyrol and Salzburg, though it looks to be lessening. The Arlberg could pick up some reasonable snow overnight. Wednesday could again see more light snow in the Tyrol and parts of Salzburg as the system pulls through. Sun making an appearance in Austria by Thursday. Look forward to seeing some photos... wink

The possibility remains
ski holidays
high pressure will finally leave us by the thursday next week, dont need fancy modules guess work computors blah blah blah, just gut instinct, watch this space

no possibility cop outs just facts from me snowHead Toofy Grin rolling eyes
ski holidays
As it happens I think there is a chance of a pattern shift around the end of next week! Very Happy
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
As it happens I think there is a chance of a pattern shift around the end of next week! Very Happy
there you go again "think" come on man,infact what do you snowheads call it mtfu !!?? look down between your legs grab it remember your a man and shout out loud and proud "the high pressure is leaving thursday next week and i think what Andy gray and Richards keys said is true" !!!
then i will read your further snow predictions !!!!
ps i,m getting ready to duck Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

then i will read your further snow predictions !!!!

And we'll rename him Mystic Meg. Have you tried chicken bones?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy